View Poll Results: What role should Dunleavy play?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Starter.

27 26.47%
  • 6th/7th man.

58 56.86%
  • Further down the bench.

5 4.90%
  • Trade the bum.

12 11.76%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PD Referendum - Mike Dunleavy Jr.

Default PD Referendum - Mike Dunleavy Jr.

He's locked up long term for too much money. We all know that.

I'll also leave out the debate about what position he should play. Like many others, I think he's a SF who's forced to play SG.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Default Re: PD Referendum - Mike Dunleavy Jr.

His contract is a little too much, but not that bad overall. I guess I like Dunleavy probably as much as any Pacers fan. He's an extremely smart basketball player who shows me a lot of toughness this season. He's the type of player that is good at so many different things, but not great at any one thing. The best compliment I can give him is the pacers were a better team when he was on the floor - their play suffered when he had to go to the bench. The coaching staff agrees with me because look at the minutes he played. I have no problem with him being a starter, but not with Tinsley and Granger playing beside him. Overall I hope he plays the rest of his career with the Pacers.

This from Pacers.com is a great summation of his game.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/0607_..._dunleavy.html

STRENGTHS: An extremely fluid player with excellent ball skills, Dunleavy is at his best on the move, either slashing into the lane, pulling up for quick mid-range shots or trailing to the 3-point line in transition. His mid-range jump shot is among the best in the NBA; he made 51.1 percent of his 2-point attempts with the Pacers. Among the best rebounders at shooting guard in the league, Dunleavy also comes up with his share of steals. Though often criticized for defense, he actually is a solid team defender who positions himself well and takes an inordinate number of charges. There also is a quiet toughness to his game, as he has missed just 11 games in five seasons despite a willingness to give up his body for the team.

WEAKNESSES: Something mysterious has happened to his 3-point shot. Dunleavy hit 37.2 percent from the arc in his first two seasons but dropped dramatically to 29.8 percent the last two, including 28.3 percent with the Pacers. A return to form as a long-range threat would push Dunleavy to another level, offensively. Defensively, he struggles in isolation situations because of a relative lack of lateral quickness and a high center of gravity. For a player with so much skill, he seems to suffer occasionally from a lack of confidence, which can lead to passive stretches.

He's a solid player that can find success as a minute-chewer on a contender. However, for Pacers purposes, I would dump him for cap room.

That's a perfect desription of Dunleavy. He's somewhat soft, but not totally. He's an ok 3-point shooter, but that's really the only shortcoming (other than defense, defense, defense) to his game. (other than defense, defense, defense, defense). DEFENSE

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's got to move to SF if he can't be traded for a starting SG (which is unlikely, given his contract.)

He's fine as a SF, and he's fine as a point-forward. But he' not the answer at SG.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

We have way too many SF's.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His contract is a little too much, but not that bad overall.
    He gives you Croshere types of results, slow on defense, decent rebounder, spot up shooter. Dun runs a good catch and shoot, AC was the better 3pt guy.

Now how was Croshere's contract viewed the last 4-5 years around Indy???

Exactly. Dun is a bench guy getting about 3-4 million to much per season (so maybe 35% overpaid). That's costly. That's another bench guy perhaps. Add it to Troy's overpay and you have an IDENTICAL situation to the Bender/AC situation we just saw the team get out of.

That's the biggest reason I didn't understand their willingness to get back into that kind of mess. Imagine Indy trading for AC/Bender after their deals were known to be bad.

I liked what Cro brought and I like was Dun brings, but this team didn't need a bench SF that badly, let alone for that price.

I actually don't mind Dunleavy, but I DO mind having him when we already have Danny and Shawne. We need to think up some kind of way to dump Dun and Murph and probably Tins too, but all of them have little-to-no value.

We're kinda screwed, aren't we?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    He gives you Croshere types of results, slow on defense, decent rebounder, spot up shooter. Dun runs a good catch and shoot, AC was the better 3pt guy.

Exactly. Dun is a bench guy getting about 3-4 million to much per season (so maybe 35% overpaid). That's costly. That's another bench guy perhaps. Add it to Troy's overpay and you have an IDENTICAL situation to the Bender/AC situation we just saw the team get out of.

That's the biggest reason I didn't understand their willingness to get back into that kind of mess. Imagine Indy trading for AC/Bender after their deals were known to be bad.

I liked what Cro brought and I like was Dun brings, but this team didn't need a bench SF that badly, let alone for that price.
    I understand what you're saying, I do, but that's like asking if you'd have paid AC/JB if that's the only way we could have gotten Jermaine O'Neal too.

Those guys are overpaid, and all that, but I think they're banking on Diogu becoming a star. If he does, then I say it was worth taking on those guys and their contracts. Especially considering they both have some ability, just not equal to their salary. And that 35% may be another bench player, but I don't think depth is any issue of ours.

-- Steve --

Sports Logo

We have to con Atlanta into taking Dun and Murph for a 2nd round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

How about the fact Dunlevy has been always been alot better player then Croshere and more productive.He was better in College and he's been better in the Pros.Dunlevy right now is a borderline starter depending on the team and would be a key player off the bench.Croshere never been somebody I though who could be a starter for any team for any given lenght of time. At one point he was a solid bench player but thats it. I just think its a bad comparison.They play different positions, they have different skills.The only thing they have in common is niether one has lateral quickness which makes them poor one on one defenders.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    We have to con Atlanta into taking Jamaal and Murph for a 2nd round pick.
    Fixed .

I like him as a 6th man, but NOT when Murphy is also on the floor. There's no way any defence we put up can handle that, so basically he will have to start IF Murphy plays (and I definitely don't want him to start) or if it must the other way around OR the coach must play him as the first player off the bench, while not really playing Murphy at all.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by mike_D View Post
    Dunlevy right now is a borderline starter depending on the team and would be a key player off the bench..
    You nailed it that he is a borderline starter. With a better team he could easily be a starter because he does a lot of things to help the team. After his reputation was trashed in GS I bet he would not be that difficult to trade if we needed to. He is certainly more valuable than Murphy. Dun suffers because he was packaged with Murph who right now is truly an overpaid underachiever.

As this team improves Dun will be more appreciated. I bet his dad would still like to have him as a clipper and it isn't just because of family ties.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_D View Post
    How about the fact Dunlevy has been always been alot better player then Croshere and more productive.He was better in College and he's been better in the Pros.Dunlevy right now is a borderline starter depending on the team and would be a key player off the bench.Croshere never been somebody I though who could be a starter for any team for any given lenght of time. At one point he was a solid bench player but thats it. I just think its a bad comparison.They play different positions, they have different skills.The only thing they have in common is niether one has lateral quickness which makes them poor one on one defenders.
    Edit: I read your post wrong, I thought you said borderline STAR, not STARTER, lol.

The guy hasn't gotten any better in his 4 years in the league and thats my problem with him. I actually don't mind him on the team either but he'd have to be the 7th or 8th guy. He's definitely not a starter and he doesn't play with enough passion for my tastes. And like someone else said, I definitely don't want him here with Granger and Williams and even Daniels.

He is a bad player. He doesnt improve, he comes back every year as the same player. He is horrible on defense, he is not a SG. He cant play SF because Danny is better then him. He has no heart and no passion to be a winner, he plays basketball because he has a contract, I doubt he gives a rats *** that the Pacers have missed the playoffs for the first time in 9 years. And its no surprise that we have missed the playoffs with him and Murphy on the team.

Ohh but his basketball IQ is high. I guess thats a positive, he can watch game tape with our new coach REALLY good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    He is a bad player. He doesnt improve, he comes back every year as the same player. He is horrible on defense, he is not a SG. He cant play SF because Danny is better then him. He has no heart and no passion to be a winner, he plays basketball because he has a contract, I doubt he gives a rats *** that the Pacers have missed the playoffs for the first time in 9 years. And its no surprise that we have missed the playoffs with him and Murphy on the team.

Ohh but his basketball IQ is high. I guess thats a positive, he can watch game tape with our new coach REALLY good.
    For a minute, I thought you were talking about Jax until I read the part about the basketball IQ.

Apparently our search for Reggie's heir is over. Jack had the talent but simply didn't work out as a Pacer and now we're stuck with nobody even close to that level. Unfortunately, Dunleavy has neither talent nor passion. I'm fine with the dude being 10th man on the bench or being traded for a 2050 2nd round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    Unfortunately, Dunleavy has neither talent nor passion. I'm fine with the dude being 10th man on the bench or being traded for a 2050 2nd round pick.
    And you talk about people beying unfair to Jack?

Quote Originally Posted by Roferr View Post
    For a minute, I thought you were talking about Jax until I read the part about the basketball IQ.
    Ohh you mean Stephen Jesse Jackson the one that just killed the Dallas Mavericks in a elimination game. The one that is called by BARON DAVIS the leader of the Warriors. The one who shut down Dirk Nowitzki. The one that stepped up to carry a team to the next round when their best player got hurt in the first qtr of the elimination game. 20 ppg in the playoffs Stephen Jackson. Steps his game up in the playoffs every year Stephen Jackson. Or am I talking about Dunleavy right here.

I dont know I could be talking about the same person, I bet Mike Dunleavy has all those things on his playoff accomplishments list also.

Stephen stepped his game up in the 2006 playoffs? Could be I don't really remember that. I do remember him beying rather negative during that run.

Banned

Jermaniac & ajbry:

Does every single thread need to turn into a Stephen Jackson thread? There is s specific place you can go and post how great Stephen Jackson is. It is here.

Not trying to be a jerk, but honestly it would be nice if more threads didn't turn into this.

On Dunleavy:

I think after Dunleavy bulks up this summer and has more time in the relatively (to golden state) positive atmosphere he will become a very good starter for the Pacers. He will probably always be a role player, but one that improves on court chemistry. Put him in a lineup with Jermaine and another star talent and he will thrive. At least thats my speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobol Sam View Post
    Jermaniac & ajbry:

Does every single thread need to turn into a Stephen Jackson thread? There is s specific place you can go and post how great Stephen Jackson is. It is here.

Not trying to be a jerk, but honestly it would be nice if more threads didn't turn into this.
    What the hell are you talking about dude? Do you see who the hell started talking about Stephen Jackson? I'm tired of yall blaming me for **** I have nothing to do with. I made a post talking about Dunleavy and the guy quotes my post taking shots at Stephen Jackson.

How did JERMANIAC turn this into a Stephen Jackson thread? Riddle me that. The problem you have brought up has nothing to do with me. I dont know about Ajbry and the guy that quoted my post, but if you got problems with them go ahead and talk it out with them.

Banned

How did JERMANIAC turn this into a Stephen Jackson thread? Riddle me that. The problem you have brought up has nothing to do with me.
    Ohh you mean Stephen Jesse Jackson the one that just killed the Dallas Mavericks in a elimination game. The one that is called by BARON DAVIS the leader of the Warriors. The one who shut down Dirk Nowitzki. The one that stepped up to carry a team to the next round when their best player got hurt in the first qtr of the elimination game. 20 ppg in the playoffs Stephen Jackson. Steps his game up in the playoffs every year Stephen Jackson. Or am I talking about Dunleavy right here.

I dont know I could be talking about the same person, I bet Mike Dunleavy has all those things on his playoff accomplishments list also.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobol Sam View Post
    Did you see me just come in here and post that out of nowhere, or was I responding to a guy that quoted my post? Stop woofin dude.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

For Dunleavy, I think its either starter or traded, and I like a lot of what he does and the contract is ugly so I say keep him as a starter.

For Jackson, basketball IQ does not = 22 turnovers in 6 games, which is MORE than the PG. When Jax is making 3's he looks real good, but intelligent is not a part of his game. He shoots and if they go in, he can be unconsious, if not, he's a liability to your team. He plays solid but not spectacular defense, it was the Warriors team D that shut Dirk down into shooting outside shots, just that Jax was the main one on em.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller