Thread: Kobe miffed

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Kobe miffed

Bryant has stern words after loss
    1st-round elimination for 3rd straight year 'extremely frustrating' for star
    Jason P. Skoda
    The Arizona Republic
    May. 3, 2007 12:00 AM

Even though the big trend in Hollywood this summer is making money off sequels, the Los Angeles Lakers are nowhere near producing a second edition of the team that made three straight NBA Finals, winning twice, from 2000-02.

And the star is not happy.

"Do something and do it now," Kobe Bryant said of the importance of the off-season after the Suns eliminated the Lakers on Wednesday night. "I don't know what to do, but it is extremely frustrating. We are going on three years of still being on ground zero."

The Lakers showed some guts playing their way back into a 119-110 loss in Game 5, but it is still a team that was outmanned at nearly every position and started a point guard - Jordan Farmar - who was in the developmental league for parts of the season.

Twice before Game 5, Lakers coach Phil Jackson was asked about the team's future. He said it wasn't the time for that discussion.

It was good etiquette, but it probably also had something to do with the reality of the Lakers' deterioration since Shaquille O'Neal made the trip to Miami.

"Last year we showed we could finish a season," Jackson said. "We didn't finish and we didn't have the kind of cohesion I like with my teams. I told them we will make changes."

The Lakers have been knocked out in the first round the past three years and it may stay that way for while. Consider that with less than nine minutes remaining in the second quarter, the Suns' Amaré Stoudemire had two points and Steve Nash had three assists.

That lines up to be nothing but good news for the Lakers yet they fell behind by 11 moments later when Stoudemire hammered home his first dunk of the game.

Los Angeles made a game of it in the second half, cutting a 12-point halftime deficit to five early in the fourth quarter. But almost doesn't cut it.

"It's difficult to deal with losing anytime, but we know we can play with this team when we are healthy," forward Luke Walton said. "We showed that at the beginning of the year and it was hard to see it just fade away."

The Lakers began the year at 26-13 before injuries zapped the team of its talent, but the downfall has been going on for a while. Los Angeles had two wins over playoff teams since mid-March and won just 13 of its last 28 games.

"Let's see what direction we want to go this off-season," Bryant said. "Make those steps and make them now."
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

So...they need a PG? maybe that JO + JT for Bynum et al trade makes some sense afterall.
    (But do I really wanna help the *@#%$%& Lakers even a tiny bit???)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Default Re: Kobe miffed

Kobe get used to being on a mediocre team until you can hook up with a dominant big man. Shaq could have won his three rings with another good player instead of you but not vice-versus.

You'll need someone like KG, TD or Yao to get you to the next level. Ummm....maybe, there's a 4th. Would you be interested in teaming up with Harrison....lot's of potential there.

Mood

in fairness, without Kobe in that lineup, that is easily a lottery bound team even if you insert any other supertar to take Kobe's place.

Marc Stein of ESPN is pretty sure that Jermaine O'Neal wants to go to LA, and that Kobe Bryant will make sure it happens. The quote from the latest article:

With four more years left on his contract after this season at a tidy $88.6 million, Bryant does possess the option to reenter the free-agent market two years from now in the summer of 2009. And surely you heard Bryant's proclamation last week that "we definitely have to get that elite level and get to that elite level, like, now."

Interpretation: He's more than ready for some big-name help and loves the idea of trading anyone necessary to bring in his buddy Jermaine O'Neal, who's said to be just as high on the idea.

Anyone necessary? Get it done, Bird.

Jermaine Oneal on LA, that' some Dangerous ****. . two of my favorite teams doing some things. . get it done lol

LA better be ready to give up this years first and Lamar Odom if they want JO that badly. That's a deal I'd probably take. Maybe throw in Farmar as well.

With Kobe keeping the defense honest, JO with single coverage would have a field day.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sure Donnie and Larry will be fine giving JO away and taking some of LA's crap players back.

If LA does this, they need to give up Odom and Brown and take back a bad contract. Odom's a player and Kwame's deal expires after next season - and he isn't terrible.

If I'm Indy I try to get a pick on top of that but if I'm LA I say no and if it's a choice I'd take the Kwame cap relief.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure Donnie and Larry will be fine giving JO away and taking some of LA's crap players back.
    The Lakers DO have some good players and things that we might very well like. Besides, I think JO has had his best time as a player or is going to very, very soon. I like the guy, but I think we better trade him now for his and ours sake and we can actually get something worthwhile for him.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    If LA does this, they need to give up Odom and Brown and take back a bad contract. Odom's a player and Kwame's deal expires after next season - and he isn't terrible.

If I'm Indy I try to get a pick on top of that but if I'm LA I say no and if it's a choice I'd take the Kwame cap relief.
    The pick would be one of the things why I could see Indy doing this, even though it's not a high pick.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Bryant has stern words after loss
    1st-round elimination for 3rd straight year 'extremely frustrating' for star
    Jason P. Skoda
    The Arizona Republic
    May. 3, 2007 12:00 AM

Even though the big trend in Hollywood this summer is making money off sequels, the Los Angeles Lakers are nowhere near producing a second edition of the team that made three straight NBA Finals, winning twice, from 2000-02.

And the star is not happy.

"Do something and do it now," Kobe Bryant said of the importance of the off-season after the Suns eliminated the Lakers on Wednesday night. "I don't know what to do, but it is extremely frustrating. We are going on three years of still being on ground zero."

The Lakers showed some guts playing their way back into a 119-110 loss in Game 5, but it is still a team that was outmanned at nearly every position and started a point guard - Jordan Farmar - who was in the developmental league for parts of the season.

Twice before Game 5, Lakers coach Phil Jackson was asked about the team's future. He said it wasn't the time for that discussion.

It was good etiquette, but it probably also had something to do with the reality of the Lakers' deterioration since Shaquille O'Neal made the trip to Miami.

"Last year we showed we could finish a season," Jackson said. "We didn't finish and we didn't have the kind of cohesion I like with my teams. I told them we will make changes."

The Lakers have been knocked out in the first round the past three years and it may stay that way for while. Consider that with less than nine minutes remaining in the second quarter, the Suns' Amaré Stoudemire had two points and Steve Nash had three assists.

That lines up to be nothing but good news for the Lakers yet they fell behind by 11 moments later when Stoudemire hammered home his first dunk of the game.

Los Angeles made a game of it in the second half, cutting a 12-point halftime deficit to five early in the fourth quarter. But almost doesn't cut it.

"It's difficult to deal with losing anytime, but we know we can play with this team when we are healthy," forward Luke Walton said. "We showed that at the beginning of the year and it was hard to see it just fade away."

The Lakers began the year at 26-13 before injuries zapped the team of its talent, but the downfall has been going on for a while. Los Angeles had two wins over playoff teams since mid-March and won just 13 of its last 28 games.

"Let's see what direction we want to go this off-season," Bryant said. "Make those steps and make them now."
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

So...they need a PG? maybe that JO + JT for Bynum et al trade makes some sense afterall.
    (But do I really wanna help the *@#%$%& Lakers even a tiny bit???)
    I'm so sick of the ME ME ME bull**** that passes as "star treatment" in the NBA I could puke. What a whiny little ******.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post

You'd swap Jermaine Oneal for Lamar Odom and 1 season of back up center???
    ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan View Post
    You'd swap Jermaine Oneal for Lamar Odom and 1 season of back up center???
    ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Here's a 2-step program for you.

1. Go back and read what I posted
    2. Post a reply that makes some sense

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    The pick would be one of the things why I could see Indy doing this, even though it's not a high pick.
    Nah - I think Kwame does you more good. First, you get rid of one of your bad contracts in the deal in the first place.

Second, Kwame's deal is up after a year. You can use that one of two ways. Either you get below the cap (you'll still have a little work to do but not that much) and are a player in the FA market or you use Kwame in an S&T to get something you need.

IMO either does you more good than a late-teens/early 20's pick.

Well, unless you're planning on a 3-4 year rebuilding plan through the draft. But you're already looking at what will be about a top 10 pick just by not being that good next year - I don't think the later pick will be that important for you.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nah....you're all wrong.....the trade is: Harrison, Tinsley, Dunleavy for Kobe. Much as I hate the b...... teamed with JO he would make us contenders again.

Kobe is a great player, if not the best, and his teammates aren't very good. However, if I was a good player on the Lakers, I'd hate losing on nights he takes 25 plus shots. He's a selfish and arrogant player.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."