Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 111

Thread: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

  1. #51
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    By the way, I forgot both Cobol Sam and DK were math nerds. Next time I'll mention both of you along with Jay.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,312

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Quote Originally Posted by KTK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If it's accepted for discussion @ NBER, you can almost bet that will be make it into AER or JPE. Go ask one of your professors how many handstands and cartwheels they'd do if they had a paper they could give a talk about @ NBER, or were published in AER or JPE...
    I'm not sure why we are talking about research organizations.

    The complaint against you is that you implied that people on this forum "don't like seeing [a poor black man become wealthy] standing up to white authority".

    I'm willing to bet I speak for nearly everyone when I say that that was out of line and mean spirited.

    We can sit here and argue over who knows what the NBER is and who doesn't, but who really cares? Its not like anyone is going to think you are smart after what you said... and continue to defend.

    Don't you think you should apologize for calling us all racists?

  3. #53
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,747

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uh......LA.........I gotta commit some white-on-white crime and call a foul on you.

    *whistle* Illegal use of the "flirt" smiley. Non-shooting foul. Ball to be inbounded on the side.
    Actually, I think that's a "personal foul."

    Rimfire's right, though: we're talking about a worst-case scenario of one extra foul every five or six games. Given the title of the thread, I'd expected a lot worse.

    Also, the disturbing dancing whats-his-face is dancing to the beat of the music I'm playing right now. And it's creepy.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    45

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually my professor last semester has been published many times in both, and is even serves as a professional reviewer for many different journals, along with being the president of Society for Computers in Psychology.
    Really, please cite his AER or JPE articles?

    WOW!!!! THEY WANT IT TO BE REVIEWED!
    If they're trying to present @ NBER then that means they're likely submitting it to a TOP journal for review like AER or JPE. Doing so means that the quality of their work is top notch.

    Look at the guy's credentials:

    PhD, Harvard University, 2001; AM, Harvard University, 2000; B.Ec, University of Sydney, 1994. Dude already has one NBER from '03 and a JEP in '04. Want to bet he'll be associate professor in 2 years?

    In basketball terms, an Asst.Prof @ Wharton is rookie of the year candidate on a contending team. Ball State Prof = junior varsity, high school BBall.

    I would be thrown out of my partnership if I rolled a Ball State professor in as an expert witness for anything related to economics. There are tiers in economics, and Ball State isn't even on the freaking map when it comes to academic relevance. That the guy is at the business school and not the econ department is a bit of a knock, but that he's at Wharton makes up for it. He very well could have wanted B-School money over Econ Dept. money.

  5. #55
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    I didn't bother reading this either. I'm not saying that there's no racism in the NBA in some manner that maybe we can't see, but more than anything I think the NBA has a problem with it's fans' racism towards it's players, but that's another subject. I'm black and even I think coming out with that article was completely retarted.

  6. #56
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Nothing good can come from this study......

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  7. #57
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,020

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm really not sure how to interpret your response. First you say "Hilarious" with a capital H, but there's no smiley attached or even an exclamation point. Then you say "Nice try", which seems to contradict the aforementioned "Hilarious". Then the "flirt" smiley really threw me off.

    Bravo, sir?

    I'm seriously kidding.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  8. #58

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    I think that if they exclude David Harrison from the analysis, then the fouls called on whites vs. blacks come out even.


  9. #59
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,020

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually, I think that's a "personal foul."
    OMG Anthem aka the WORD/GRAMMAR Nazi strikes back! Run everone, save yourself!!!






    PS: I'm happy most people here aren't taking this study seriously.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  10. #60
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Wharton didn't have access to all the data he needed to do this study, unless he watched every single game in a 13year span and documented what official called what against a certain player and their nationalities.

    The NBA DOES keep those records, hired a company to go through those records and pretty much perform the same exact study. Their findings contradict the findings by Wharton.

    He used freaking box scores to get his information, and you want to portray this as accurate?

  11. #61
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,332
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nothing good can come from this study......

    or from this thread. I suggest it is deleted.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  12. #62
    J.O. To The T.O. Oneal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,459

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    LMAO. . Im not even gonna read this stupidness

  13. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    45

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    The NBA DOES keep those records, hired a company to go through those records and pretty much perform the same exact study. Their findings contradict the findings by Wharton.
    And they released that data and their methods for peer review where? Ah, that's right, you just have to trust them....

    He used freaking box scores to get his information, and you want to portray this as accurate?
    If he's willing to stake his reputation, I'd trust his study over a David Stern "we did the same thing, our results are different, but no you can't look at them" alternative.

  14. #64
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    I give up.

    We're all closet racists.

  15. #65
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,020

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I give up.

    We're all closet racists.


    I've always suspected you were






    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  16. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    45

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I give up.

    We're all closet racists.
    You give up because you can't defend the NBA's practice of supposedly doing a study but then keeping the data and the analysis secret. Sorry, but until they make their data and analysis open for others to review, they have 0 credibility in using it to refute this guy's claim.

  17. #67

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that if they exclude David Harrison from the analysis, then the fouls called on whites vs. blacks come out even.




    LOL that made my day. For what it's worth, no one seems to be tackling the other side of the issue here. Maybe, just maybe, black players DO commit more fouls per 48 min. than white players? That isn't to say it's anything racist, but I think it's apparent a lot of these young guys (especially the ones who didn't go to college) grew up playing a variety of street basketball which is much more physical than traditional basketball rules allow. I don't know, overall I think the study is bogus and full of holes.

  18. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    45

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Quote Originally Posted by D23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know, overall I think the study is bogus and full of holes.
    I think I'll let the people with PhDs in economics who teach at top tier schools decide that question.

  19. #69
    Say it out loud. Graham Mernatsi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Grammar School
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OMG Anthem aka the WORD/GRAMMAR Nazi strikes back! Run everone, save yourself!!!


    Hey, don't bring me into this.

  20. #70
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,697

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Quote Originally Posted by KTK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I'll let the people with PhDs in economics who teach at top tier schools decide that question.
    Bowing down to white authority are we?

  21. #71
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,332
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    I spent 40 years in scientific research. Numbers were crunched (legally) 15 ways to Sunday and then the subset that gave the desired response was selected.

    (BTW....I'm twice published)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  22. #72
    I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    RoboBoston
    Posts
    829

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I spent 40 years in scientific research. Numbers were crunched (legally) 15 ways to Sunday and then the subset that gave the desired response was selected.

    (BTW....I'm twice published)
    Well, I'm published three times if "Dear Playgirl...." letters count, but I don't see how that's applicable here.
    Narf!

  23. #73
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,332
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Quote Originally Posted by KTK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I'll let the people with PhDs in economics who teach at top tier schools decide that question.
    So, you admit that the question is still undecided and therefore the precept of this thread is in question and all of the back and forth was set up due to invalid assumptions.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  24. #74
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,332
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Quote Originally Posted by Robobtowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, I'm published three times if "Dear Playgirl...." letters count, but I don't see how that's applicable here.
    LMAO.....and my statement has no relevence here either other than to show that any nimrod can be published (and yes, I made it through peer review to do so).
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  25. #75
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,697

    Default Re: Report: White refs call more fouls on black players (ESPN.com)

    Quote Originally Posted by Robobtowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, I'm published three times if "Dear Playgirl...." letters count, but I don't see how that's applicable here.
    I fear MagicRat's involvement in this one...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •