Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A closer look at the coaching prospects

Default Re: A closer look at the coaching prospects

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My list also, with Mark Jackson also in the mix.
    If he doesn't want to be here, then I don't want him back. He's asking a lot as it is to expect a team to just hand him a head coaching job with no prior experience. And he doesn't have the legend as a player than Isiah or Bird did to be handed one.

Now, with that said, if he IS open to being here, I'm interested (somewhat), but he'd be 4th on my list.

Yeah thats the only part I didnt like. I think Adelman might be my first choice after 4 years of watching Rick Carlisle's offense, it would rule to finally see a team have some strategy and ball movement while playing offense instead of just throw it to Jermaine and watch.

Maybe Adelman would be able to get something out of Dunleavy, he did it with Peja.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    If he doesn't want to be here, then I don't want him back. He's asking a lot as it is to expect a team to just hand him a head coaching job with no prior experience. And he doesn't have the legend as a player than Isiah or Bird did to be handed one.
    Well, there's all that, plus God telling him to sign for more money in Toronto instead of re-signing with the Pacers.

I guess more to the point is, I'm not thrilled with the idea of Jackson being the coach.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Please, no Mark Jackson!!! If he wants a head coaching job just handed to him, I hope our owners and managment are not stupid enough to just hand him one. I know, I know...Larry was handed the job with no experience, but he did get the reigns of a veteran team with some damn good assistants to help him. Not to mention that Bird's name commanded respect. Jackson could get good assistants, but he dosen't have the team and the name that Larry had to start.

As I said before, if Jackson is not willing to pay his dues as an assistant....I don't want him experimenting with this team.

If JVG does quit in Houston...That becomes the #1 job in the league and the Pacers will be getting what is left, just like the other teams with a vacancy.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    Maybe Adelman would be able to get something out of Dunleavy, he did it with Peja.
    one difference - peja can shoot

i'm open to the idea of adelman. i think i'm also on record for being interested in SVG (and i think the fact that he is still under contract with the heat is absurd, WTF RILES?!? FREE HIM!!!).

i get a really bad feeling when i think of jackson as coach. when bird and even isiah came in, neither had been quoted as saying "i've had too much experience to be an assistant." if he was really interested in coaching, why didn't he jump to the pacers asst. staff last year to relate to players and help our PG situation? i mean if he's going to just wait for someone to offer something to him i'd rather it be another team. and if he's a great coach? i'll be happy for him but i think there are better options, more deserving options.

i guess the other reason i'm against it... the whole point of the al harrington trade was to bring that feel-good player back to the team and that was a bust. this feels like its in the same vein.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Peja and Dunleavy are very different type players - and to think otherwise is unfair to both players

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I was going to say I must have missed the part were Lawrence Frank was a legendary player, but since I think he was an assistant coach before he got the head coaching job at NJ I guess there's the differnce between Mark and him.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    one difference - peja used to be able to shoot
    Fixed.

I watched New Orleans training camp on NBA TV this year. When I heard Byron Scott tell the team that Peja is a shooter I said to myself "Obviously you haven't watched him lately." For all I know Peja's downfall was his back problems, but he wasn't impressing me even before the Pacers traded for him.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    Fixed.

I watched New Orleans training camp on NBA TV this year. When I heard Byron Scott tell the team that Peja is a shooter I said to myself "Obviously you haven't watched him lately." For all I know Peja's downfall was his back problems, but he wasn't impressing me even before the Pacers traded for him.
    well we were talking about adelman-era peja (who now in his later years, shoots about dunleavy's percentage). i think dunleavy if he goes the luol deng route (shoot only inside the arc) could be a more effective scorer. and to be fair to scott, what else can peja do at this point? defend? pass? its either "bench warm in suit" or "shoot" and "shoot" rolls off the togue better.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Peja and Dunleavy are very different type players - and to think otherwise is unfair to both players
    I'm not comparing their games at all.

I'm comparing their personality. Both soft, both no heart, both play like their best friend died before the game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't get why more teams aren't begging Adelmann to take their head coaching vacancy.. this league is turning into "offense now, defense if it's convenient" and Adelmann might be one of the three or four best offensive coaches in the past 10 years.. sign me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I disagree UB, they both are slow and around 6-9.