Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: From champs to chumps?

  1. #1
    Member Roferr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    70
    Posts
    562

    Default From champs to chumps?

    Will the Bulls put the Magic out of their misery today? If it's not today, it'll only be a matter of time.

    How can one team go downhill so quickly? I think they rode a lot of luck last year along with one of the best playoff outings that I've ever seen from Wade. I know Wade is not at full strength but does his injury make that much of a difference? The over-the-hill gang may be a better moniker for them with Mourning, Payton, and yes, Shaq, even if he won't admit it.

    Well anyway, it couldn't happen to a nicer coach. Riles kicks Van Gundy to the curb when all that talent is there so now he can take credit for their plummet as well as their ring.

    If a team can deteriorate so quickly why can't the Pacers flourish just as quickly? I believe we are only a player or two from being a good team. A new coach will benefit greatly just by the fact that it will be a brand new start for our team with an entirely different outlook. Just may be that's all we need.
    .

  2. #2

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    The Heat are a good team....they were a good team last year also. Note that I said "good". They were not great. They played well enough to get to the finals and then were handed the title by the officials. The Heat are a trashy team. First you have Shaq who complains more than any player in the game right now when he doesnt get his way. Then you have Payton who is just running around to any team who will have a shot at the title. Walker is a joke of a NBA player. Jason Williams is horrible and makes Jamaal Tinsley look like a star. And then there is Alonzo Mourning, I have never seen one person fool so many people. Always talking about his great story of overcoming life-threatening surgery. Did we not forget how he sent Toronto to the bottom of the league by not saying a word when the trade talks were going on and then refusing to play for them after it was final? Or maybe how he never signs autographs or show any respect to the fans. Or how he gets involved in a hit and run (leaving a club, so he was probably drunk) and then throws his friend under the bus by saying he was driving when many people stated they saw him in the drivers seat leaving south beach. I hate Zo and I am so happy to see his team failing.

  3. #3
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,066

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    If a team can deteriorate so quickly why can't the Pacers flourish just as quickly?
    wow. talk about apples and oranges...

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  4. #4
    Member Roferr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    70
    Posts
    562

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    wow. talk about apples and oranges...
    What I was trying to say is team's fortunes can turn very quickly. I was trying to be optimisitic that the Pacers can change just as quickly and have a great season next year.
    .

  5. #5
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,987

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleGiant04 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate Zo








    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  6. #6
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,623

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    I wouldn't be surprised if Riley decides to retire from coaching the Heat.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  7. #7
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roferr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How can one team go downhill so quickly?
    Well for starters a fair amount of their players are old. And then they got hit with injuries. Mostly they just got beat by the one team that gave them the most trouble in the playoffs last year.

  8. #8
    #PacerNation 317Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    317
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,440

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    Well, congratulations to the Bulls. My cousin, Steve is extremely excited about the sweep.

  9. #9
    Member Moses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    3,565

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    Thank god. I hate the Heat with a passion.

    I hate Shaq, I hate Zo, I hate Payton, I hate Fatoine. They should not have even won the finals last year. Time to see Pat Riley retire now that he knows he's milked the Heat for all they are worth. I'm sure he'll come back around in 3-4 years when the talent is back.

  10. #10
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    Ive been calling it all year. I dont know why everyone, the media, fans etc were claiming they were the top team in the east, when all year long their record didnt show it. Everyone assumed they would all of a sudden just "turn it on" or whatever. Now we see thats now how the NBA works.

  11. #11
    Member Roferr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    70
    Posts
    562

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank god. I hate the Heat with a passion.

    I hate Shaq, I hate Zo, I hate Payton, I hate Fatoine. They should not have even won the finals last year. Time to see Pat Riley retire now that he knows he's milked the Heat for all they are worth. I'm sure he'll come back around in 3-4 years when the talent is back.
    If the Mavs don't win it all this year, somehow he'll get Avery bounced and get credit for bringing them to the Promised land or maybe he'll wait until he sees who gets Oden and then suck his way on that team.
    .

  12. #12
    Member Roferr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    70
    Posts
    562

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ive been calling it all year. I dont know why everyone, the media, fans etc were claiming they were the top team in the east, when all year long their record didnt show it. Everyone assumed they would all of a sudden just "turn it on" or whatever. Now we see thats now how the NBA works.
    What you say is true.....but you would certainly expect the Champs to put up more than just token resistance in the very first round.

    Has there ever been a Champ that has been swept the very next season in the first round? Off hand, I can't think of one.
    .

  13. #13
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,066

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roferr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What you say is true.....but you would certainly expect the Champs to put up more than just token resistance in the very first round.

    Has there ever been a Champ that has been swept the very next season in the first round? Off hand, I can't think of one.
    Nope. never happened.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  14. #14
    Member Moses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    3,565

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roferr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What you say is true.....but you would certainly expect the Champs to put up more than just token resistance in the very first round.

    Has there ever been a Champ that has been swept the very next season in the first round? Off hand, I can't think of one.
    Well when the officials are no longer gift wrapping the games and handing them to you, that happens.

  15. #15
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    Did anyone, other than ESPN's "experts," really think that the Heat were going to win the series?
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

  16. #16
    Member Roferr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    70
    Posts
    562

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did anyone, other than ESPN's "experts," really think that the Heat were going to win the series?
    By the same token, did anyone think that they would be swept? Lots of posters thought the Bulls would win but the odds of them sweeping must have been astronomical. Does anyone know the odds of the Bulls sweeping before the series began? I imagine they were at least 80 to 1.
    .

  17. #17
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roferr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I was trying to say is team's fortunes can turn very quickly. I was trying to be optimisitic that the Pacers can change just as quickly and have a great season next year.
    The Pacers were not held back by injury issues this year, and if anything they improved the team chemistry and then went in the tank.

    How do you insta-fix talent issues? I know how to break them - chemistry and injuries, which is what Miami used.

    A quick turnaround will require a PG fix, a really outstanding coaching effort, and Dunleavy to regain his 3pt shot (ie, 38-40 rate). Oh, and you can't just drop JO to do all that because then you open up a new hole on defense and post scoring.

    Other than that it should be a piece of cake.



    The Bulls underchieved this year, they were predicted to win the East in the pre-season by plenty of people. Meanwhile everyone knew the Wade injury was going to hurt the Heat's chances.

  18. #18
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope. never happened.
    ESPN says 1957 was the last time.

  19. #19
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,066

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    NBA wasn't really the NBA in 1957. They went straight to the conference finals and it was a 2-game series.

    But yeah, the Warriors got "swept" 2-0 by the Nats.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  20. #20
    Member skyfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,559

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ESPN says 1957 was the last time.
    dunno if this accurate but :

    link

    Chicago, which meets Detroit next, became the first team to oust a defending champion in the first round since Phoenix did it to San Antonio in 2000.
    Regardless, its great to see that bunch of scrubs get swept.

  21. #21
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,066

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    Notice the article says "oust," not "swept."

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  22. #22
    Member skyfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,559

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    oh, my bad.

  23. #23

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    i agree with those who said the heat are too old. zo isn't anything close to what he used to be. same is true for payton. and shaq, who used to be the most dominant player in the game is little more than a shell of his former self.

    in fact, i'd say shaq's skills are not in decline but free-fall. he used to have excellent leaping ability and expolsiveness but now, he cant jump over a phone book. not only was he unstopable in the post but, he used to own the paint on defense. i remember back in the day, guys who would try to score against shaq 1-on-1 would often get their stuff emphaticaly rejected. the same was true for those penetrating slasher types. they may get by their man but, scoring over shaq was nearly impossible and he definately intimidated many teams out of even trying to get in there after shaq had 3 or 4 major rejections early on. it totaly changed the way teams would try to operate. for the last several seasons now, teams don't fear shaq's defese any longer because he can't jump anymore. i see guys take him on 1-on-1 and slashers lob up and make shots right on him. there is no fear factor going against him anymore. he is an above average big man today thats all.

    i'd have to put the biggest blame on miami's fall in the hands of shaq's rapidly declining abilities.

  24. #24
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i'd have to put the biggest blame on miami's fall in the hands of shaq's rapidly declining abilities.
    Wade's injury didn't help, nor did their lack of chemistry.

    They didn't improve over the summer, and they needed to. Their mistake was keeping the team together.

    But it would have been hard to break up a team that just won a championship.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  25. #25

    Default Re: From champs to chumps?

    no doubt wades injury didn't help them a bit but, shaq used to be able to do so much more than he can now that, it's not even funny. had he been able to play like he used to, i could see him averaging close to 30 pts. 11 or more rebs and about 4 blocks in the series. that alone would have changed things substantialy.

    however i do agree that chemistry is not great over there or even good. walker is a joke and jason williams is a crappy pg. they were not going back to the finals. shaq has already won his last ring.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •