Thread: Future of the league!!!

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

Default Future of the league!!!

Speed kills Heat, Mavericks By Steve Kerr

On Friday night, we witnessed the future of the NBA. Not in terms of a single player or a team or a coach.No, the future of the league can be summed up with one word: speed. Speed at all five positions. Skilled, multi-position players who blend together, play any spot on the floor and run like hell.

Found this quote from Steve Kerr today. I think that the Pacers braintrust have been trying to go this route for some time. I see them moving in this direction as early as the drafting of Harrington, and Bender.
    I think the problem has been that they wanted to do it on they fly, and not totally commit.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: Future of the league!!!

It's a fine prediction, but until a speed based team wins the championship at least a few times, it's all talk and no ____ (whatever).

Even last year, the fastest teams didn't make it.

Unless you want to call Shaq a run-and-gun player.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I tend to agree with what Steve Kerr is saying. Because of the rule changes and the lack of big guys, the NBA has changed and speed is more important than ever.

The Pacers need to upgrade their overall team speed

I think Golden State lives and dies on the 3, because compare the back court speed on Golden State (Ellis/Davis) vs. Mavericks (Terry/Harris), there is no signifcant differences, but when you are making 1 point more on 10 shots than your opponent, you tend to hold an advantage. If Golden State can keep up this hot shooting, they could possibly take the series, but if Mavericks pick up their intensity to a level where it should be, and Golden State just cool off a little bit, I can see Dallas Making a comeback.

Back to Steve Kerr, I think the league is not moving toward a speedy approach, but rather a more versatile phase. You see players that can play multiple positions and does things that people in that position usually don't do, IE Kevin Garnett type of players. Rather than saying the league is moving faster, you can say it's moving into a more guard oriented league, because at the end of the day, when the game is tight, you need to have that one true go to guy that can hit the jumper/3 pointer, make the assists via penetration to be able to win, you can't run everyone out of the Gym every night.

If the league continues to go in this direction, it's only a matter of time before a truly legit big man dominates again. The league went bigger and slower in an effort to get past Shaq in the post-season. It was a big-man arms race. Now that shaq is sort of out of the picture and the rules no longer empower players like Duncan, KG and JO, the race is over.

It's only a matter of time before another *huge* player comes on the scene and gives the fast, versatile crowd a lesson in domination.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Sports Logo

Question for those that know something about defense.....if the compass of the NBA is pointing towards having quicker players that can do what Kerr suggests......like what the Warriors and the Suns are doing.....what is the best defense to guard against that type of offense?

Is it having the type of players that can run with them on the defensive end?

Is it having solid defenders at the PG, SG and SF spots?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Question for those that know something about defense.....if the compass of the NBA is pointing towards having quicker players that can do what Kerr suggests......like what the Warriors and the Suns are doing.....what is the best defense to guard against that type of offense?

Is it having the type of players that can run with them on the defensive end?

Is it having solid defenders at the PG, SG and SF spots?
    A potent and efficent half court offense that takes advantage of the size mismatches that will occur. Force teams to match up.

Actually, defensively I think you will continue to see the implimination of the zone. Overall the league still has more penetrators than shooters, IMO. With the hand check rules it is extremly difficult to stay infront of guys. The zone defence will continue to evolve in the NBA if this is the future offensively.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I disagree.

Speed isn't the future of the league. Skill is.

Skill can beat speed any day of the week.

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    Actually, defensively I think you will continue to see the implimination of the zone.
    I completely agree. I think in the next few years you will see zone defensives set become pretty much the norm.

I also feel that currently the teams that have employed a mixture of speed with an ability to slow it down and run a few post plays have been successful. But it looks like those days might be coming to an end. If these Miami and Dallas lose their series I'd say that it is because they both have that mixture.
    I kind of feel what Steve was saying is that this style of draw and kick, and reckless abandon is going to become pretty popular in the coming years. I did feel like the Pacers could have played that way. We actually had a little succsess with some draw and kick sets earlier in the season, but the problem was that to play that style you have to rebound the ball, and we could never get over that.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is this some of that "new NBA" stuff we talked about last season? Anyway, If this is the trend, I wouldn't be suprised to see the Pacers miss the boat.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    If the league continues to go in this direction, it's only a matter of time before a truly legit big man dominates again. The league went bigger and slower in an effort to get past Shaq in the post-season. It was a big-man arms race. Now that shaq is sort of out of the picture and the rules no longer empower players like Duncan, KG and JO, the race is over.

It's only a matter of time before another *huge* player comes on the scene and gives the fast, versatile crowd a lesson in domination.
    I think you are right here...it's basketball...good big will always have an advantage over good small. As a long time fan of the NBA, it's just been quite some time since I have seen a big man come into the league with the skill sets that some of the legendary big men have possessed.

Increase in speed and versatility? Sure, who doesn't want that? We've seen the types of mismatches the suns, mavs, etc. can create. But every possession isn't going to be a fast break. There will always be needs for a skilled big man to run offensive sets through.

Good points, Rinuven. I want to add that big works on the defensive end, too.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[QUOTE=HOOPFANATIC;570540]I completely agree. I think in the next few years you will see zone defensives set become pretty much the norm.

QUOTE]

I disagree because of the point kstat made. Skilled players will always beat the zone defense. Skilled shooters, passers, and penetrators always prevail. Plus, NBA teams can't play a true zone because the bigs can't camp out in the lane. Get rid of defensive 3 seconds and then its a whole new ball game.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    A potent and efficent half court offense that takes advantage of the size mismatches that will occur. Force teams to match up.

Actually, defensively I think you will continue to see the implimination of the zone. Overall the league still has more penetrators than shooters, IMO. With the hand check rules it is extremly difficult to stay infront of guys. The zone defence will continue to evolve in the NBA if this is the future offensively.
    The obvious next question to ask is.....do we even have the type of players to implement this type of defense?

Does this require slow-shotblockers that can take up space and rebound ( hence roleplayers like Dampier, Diop, Dalambert or even Foyle )?

More importantly....what defensive coach can teach this?

NOTE - I'm hoping that the don't answe to that 3rd question is not "Carlisle".
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Steve is so right here.

Speed is everything.

This is why we need a new point guard more than anything. I think that point guards are going to be valued more than ever now.

Secondly, we need quickness overall. It's too bad that Dunleavy and Murphy are going to be a problem with that. But this is why I like Baston so much, even just for a bench guy. He is so quick and is exactly what teams need for this new style of NBA ball.

You also need shooters. People who can spread the court so your point guard has someone to pass the ball to.

As for the beating the zone defense, teams beat zone defenses. What drives me crazy is watching teams play against a zone. How do you beat a zone? ATTACK THE MIDDLE!!! Teams settle for jump shots more times than not against a zone. This is where a quick point guard comes in handy, so you can beat a zone defense.