Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arenas at it again

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Arenas at it again

By Adrian Wojnarowski

Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 1:44 am EDT

Out of the all times for Gilbert Arenas to come out of his self-induced silence, for all the reasons to do so, his choices on Saturday did little to dispel a growing suspicion that Agent Zero is all about Agent Zero.

So, the Wizards are getting destroyed in their Eastern Conference first-round series, on the way to a humiliating sweep by Cleveland, and Arenas calls a press conference before Game 3 in Washington to congratulate himself on getting his picture on the cover of a video game?

That's a franchise player?

"Everyone knows that this is the takeover year and I took over a lot of stuff," Arenas said. "I surprised myself. I want to finish the season by saying Agent Zero is on the cover of NBA Live 2008."

Wonderful, Gilbert. This had to be thrilling news to his coaches and teammates getting embarrassed by LeBron James and the Cavaliers with Arenas and Caron Butler out for the season. I can only imagine how hard it was for coach Eddie Jordan to bite his lip and keep his thoughts to himself upon hearing that Arenas ended his silence for this purpose.

This was the wrong time, the wrong place, for Arenas to be celebrating his favorite topic -- himself. All that Saturday should've been about was encouraging his teammates to make an improbable bid to get back into the series with Cleveland. After all, that's what franchise players say in the playoffs.

Here's what they don't say: "I have to pat myself on the back for that one. I have the copies of the game and I have been giving them to all my teammates. I let them know that next year, October 2, they have no choice but to look at me. Your kids, brothers, sisters, they have no choice but to look at me. I'm not only in the game, I'm on the cover of it."

Arenas has been nowhere to be found since tearing a meniscus in his left knee on April 4. He hasn't traveled with the Wizards. He hasn't talked to the press. When his teammates could've used him telling the fans -- telling them, for that matter -- that he still believed in this team, to not give up on it, here was the first line of his blog after his injury: "Unfortunately, I've been catching glimpses of my team."

Just maybe, maybe, he could've understood that the Wizards could've used him around the gym here and there, just giving his guys a little nudge. He had been feeling sorry for himself, he said, and that's why he stayed away.

Arenas is a magnetic, charismatic personality. He has all the ability to make this Wizards franchise his own. Of course, the coaches and players know who the real leaders are on a team, and they'll tell you that it isn't Arenas in Washington.

Anyway, with his Wizards fighting for survival in the Eastern Conference playoffs, Arenas left everyone with this on his NBA.com blog about the video game cover.

"Do you realize how big this is?

"They can't tell me nothin'. Mannn. Ohhh. Lorddd.

"It makes my whole rehabbing that much better now. Because while rehabbing, all I'm thinking about is 'I'm on the cover of LIVE.' "

I'm sure Eddie Jordan is thrilled to hear that is Arenas' motivation for returning to Washington next season.

Listen, Arenas is a good guy with a good heart, but he's done enough to sell himself, to remind everyone that he's the second-round pick who transformed into a major star. For now, it should be about the Wizards trying to get one game on the Cavaliers, about a franchise fighting to hold onto a little pride. Agent Zero should've known better

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/nba...?urn=nba,30607

Default Re: Arenas at it again

He's always been arrogant, even at Arizona. His motivation has always been to prove to others that he is good... that's it, no other goals.

I'm sorry but I love Gil. Maybe I'm what's wrong with the NBA though...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yikes...So much for me liking Arenas.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

You just can't take him seriously...if you don't, he's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You just can't take him seriously...if you don't, he's cool.
    I used to not take Ron Artest seriously either.

It seems to me that he's trying to be the Chad Johnson of the NBA.

And that's fine. But there's a time and place for those type of antics. He shouldn't be doing this while his team is struggling without him in the playoffs.

He could've easily waited until his team was eliminated and the season was over for the Wizards (it would be a short wait anyway).

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here is another side of the story

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6751656

Arenas won't play for U.S. national team
    Story Tools:
    Print Email Blog This
    Associated Press
    Posted: 1 day ago

WASHINGTON (AP) - Gilbert Arenas is injured. Gilbertology lives on.

The Washington Wizards' point guard spoke with reporters Saturday for the first time since injuring his knee April 4. He made one bit of news - ruling himself out for the U.S. national team's qualifying games this summer - but otherwise displayed the offbeat humor that helped take his stardom to another level this season.
    "Y'all have been waiting for a big announcement, huh?" Arenas said before tip-off of Game 3 of the Wizards' first-round series against Cleveland. "I am retiring."

Not really, of course, but he said doctors have told him he won't be 100 percent until August. Arenas tore the lateral meniscus in his left knee against Charlotte and had surgery the next day. He was one of the final cuts last year for the U.S. team at the world championships, but this year national duty isn't a priority.

"So far I'm ruling everything out - trips, vacation," Arenas said. "I'm ruling them all out until I'm 100 percent because the Wizards come first."

Arenas said he's stayed away from the spotlight since the injury because he was more or less feeling sorry for himself. The gym rat has been reduced to doing calf exercises and shooting from a standstill, a far cry from the expectations surrounding the Wizards in January when they were vying for first place in the Eastern Conference - with fans chanting "M-V-P!" every time Arenas had a big game.

"I can't run. I can barely walk," Arenas said. "But it gives me a chance to think about the next step. I started off well this year and it was going to be hard to top it going into next season, but I have a chance now."

In fact, the only reason Arenas was talking Saturday was because of a video game. Arenas is a self-proclaimed video game addict, and he's ecstatic that he'll be on the cover of EA Sports NBA Live '08, to be released in October.

"Man, this is wonderful," Arenas said. "Coming from where I am, second-round pick, I had to fight all my career, and now I made the cover of a video game. In high school they said I was most likely to be on a Wheaties box. I'll take the cover of a video game."

Watching the Wizards, though, has been frustrating. Without All-Stars Arenas and Caron Butler (hand), Washington dropped to the No. 7 seed for the playoffs and lost the first two games of their series against the Cavaliers.

"We were one of the best teams at one point, and a lot of teams are scared of us," Arenas said. "A lot of teams are going to be scared of us next year, too, when we're all healthy."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Excuse him for trying to cheer the fans up when their team is down 3-0.

STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Yeah, I'm sure that's why he did that- to cheer the fans up

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post

Yeah...come on man, I mean I love Gil too, but the man is all about Gilbert, let's be honest.

Mood

Zero to Hero Foundation

www.gilsarena.com

yea all about Gilbert.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I don't condone his actions with the video game cover thing, but lets be honest its not like he pulled a gun outside a night club. From what I know about him I admire Gilbert. Overcoming challenges in life is important, and from that perspective Gilbert is a great role model. I can definitely relate to him from that standpoint.

Yeah and if JO announced tomorrow that he was on the cover of NBA 2k8 we'd all be dancing for joy and we would forget about the fact that our season stunk. If Wizards fans actually care more about video games than winning then that is their deal, but I'm betting most don't.

Zero to Hero Foundation

www.gilsarena.com

yea all about Gilbert.
    Good cause/foundation, but when it comes to basketball... it's all about Gilbert.

All the I'll put 50 up against the US coaches who cut me? That's a personal vendetta! Hibachi?! It's funny but come on. The trampouline at the ASG.. good notion, but he just wanted the spotlight.

I like Arenas... I think he's entertaining, but that doesn't hide the fact that agent zero is about agent zero

LOL, what a game geek!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Arenas
    "I have one more year to see how everything pans out," he said. "So going into next summer it is going to be either this team is going where I think it can go or is it my time to move on?"
    How, exactly, is this meant to make fans feel better?

I don't understand the hate for Gil. He's talking like a normal human would, not the robot athlete we're all conditioned to.

Do you all want him to just fall into a deep depression, focusing solely on his injury and talking only about his team getting destroyed in the playoffs? He's an athlete, he's hawking a product during the most watched part of the NBA season, what's so crazy about this exactly?

Please. Hate away but it's all bogus.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I L-O-V-E how you like to be critical of everything that goes wrong with the Pacers, but give Arenas always a pass no matter what he does
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    I don't understand the hate for Gil. He's talking like a normal human would, not the robot athlete we're all conditioned to.

Do you all want him to just fall into a deep depression, focusing solely on his injury and talking only about his team getting destroyed in the playoffs? He's an athlete, he's hawking a product during the most watched part of the NBA season, what's so crazy about this exactly?

Please. Hate away but it's all bogus.
    He can talk 24/7 AFTER his team is kicked out of the playoffs, doing so before that, while he's injured and hardly showing interest in his team since, is inappropriate. I shouldn't have to explain why that is inappropriate.

I don't hate the guy, but the guy has got an ego the size of the Empire State building.

Regards,

Mourning

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was reading his blog today and I feel for him a bit more now. I still think he's over the top, but he gets written off a bit too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    I was reading his blog today and I feel for him a bit more now. I still think he's over the top, but he gets written off a bit too much.
    Arenas as a basketball player is great at playing basketball. Arenas as a person is great at playing the pity card.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    He can talk 24/7 AFTER his team is kicked out of the playoffs, doing so before that, while he's injured and hardly showing interest in his team since, is inappropriate. I shouldn't have to explain why that is inappropriate.
    Actually, you should. It's inappropriate to talk to the media or endorse a product while your team is in the playoffs?

He isn't hurting his team at all by holding a press conference for his game. They're grown men, and they know it's what business they're in.

If this were anyone but Gilbert no one would care. Because he's such a flashy guy people assume the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Actually, you should. It's inappropriate to talk to the media or endorse a product while your team is in the playoffs?
    Yeah, that's part of what I wrote, except that you leave out the critical part.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Yeah, that's part of what I wrote, except that you leave out the critical part.
    Here's the rest: "doing so before that, while he's injured and hardly showing interest in his team since, is inappropriate. I shouldn't have to explain why that is inappropriate."

How exactly do you know he's not showing interest? He said it's tough for him to watch because he wants to be out there so bad. Not a lack of interest, but a feeling of helplessness as the season he carried on his shoulders is crushed by his playoff rival from last year. Yeah, why not watch that.

Again, it's because of Gil that this is a big deal. Athletes do promos. If Lebron James was hurt and did a promo for orange juice no one would care. It's because it's Gil and it's video games, so people see him as immature.

Get off it. He can do whatever he wants. In a time when NBA players are (unfairly) perceived as thugs, it's great to have someone like Gil who acts and talks like a normal person, not a pre-programmed robot.