Thread: Ellis Wins MIP

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Default Ellis Wins MIP

Ellis edges Martin, wins most improved award

Associated Press

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Golden State guard Monta Ellis was selected the NBA's Most Improved Player on Wednesday, edging Sacramento's Kevin Martin in the closest voting in the award's history.
    NBA Most Improved Player Voting

Ellis

Warriors guard Monta Ellis' averages in the 2006-07 season (16.5 points, 4.1 assists, and 3.2 rebounds)
    were significantly better than his numbers last year (6.8 ppg, 1.6 apg, and 3.1 rpg), and his scoring
    increase (+9.7) was the highest of any player in the NBA. Thursday's voting totals for the NBA's Most Improved Player:
    Votes
    Player1st2nd3rdPoints
    Monta Ellis, Warriors 47 34 15 352
    Kevin Martin, Kings 44 38 15 349
    Deron Williams, Jazz 13 6 18 101
    Tyson Chandler, Hornets 6 11 9 72
    Andris Biedrins, Warriors 8 4 12 64
    Al Jefferson, Celtics 2 13 13 62
    Luol Deng, Bulls 2 7 13 44
    Leandro Barbosa, Suns 3 3 -- 24
    Andre Iguodala, 76ers 1 2 3 14
    David Lee, Knicks -- 3 3 12
    Jason Kapono, Heat -- 1 7 10
    Josh Howard, Mavericks 1 1 1 9

Ellis, a second-year pro who joined the Warriors straight out of his Mississippi high school,
    received 47 first-place votes and 352 points from a panel of sports writers and broadcasters.
    Martin, the Kings' high-scoring guard, got 44 first-place votes and 349 points. Utah's Deron Williams
    was a distant third with 101 points.
    The previous closest finish was in 1990-91, when Scott Skiles of Orlando edged
    Kevin Gamble of Boston by four votes. The award has been presented annually
    since the 1985-86 season.
    Ellis averaged 16.5 points, 4.1 assists and 3.2 rebounds this season with new coach
    Don Nelson and the revitalized Warriors, who returned to the playoffs after a 12-year
    absence. The second-round pick's improvement on his 6.8-point scoring average in his
    rookie season was the NBA's largest increase this year.
    Ellis emerged as a key contributor to Golden State's uptempo offense, earning his
    teammates' trust and playing in big situations while learning to play point guard at
    Nelson's behest. Among second-year pros, only New Orleans' Chris Paul averaged more points per game this season (17.2).
    Not bad for a high-school star who had visions of instant stardom when he joined the NBA's last
    prep-to-pro class in 2005. Ellis held a big draft-day party for himself in his native Jackson, Miss.
    -- but most of the guests left before he was chosen by the Warriors with the 40th overall pick.
    Ellis quickly took to the pro game, using his skill and creativity to lead all prep-to-pro players in
    scoring last season despite only cracking former coach Mike Montgomery's regular rotation late
    in the year. Nelson immediately recognized Ellis' skills and put him in the starting lineup for 53 games.
    Ellis is the second Golden State player in five years to win the award, after Gilbert Arenas -- another second-round pick who blossomed in Oakland before moving to the Washington Wizards -- in 2003.
    Martin's scoring average went up to 20.2 points per game this season from 10.8 in 2005-06,
    but the lanky guard struggled down the stretch of the regular season along with his spiraling
    teammates. The Kings missed the playoffs for the first time in nine seasons, and coach Eric
    Musselman was fired last week.
    Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2850222
    by the Associated Press from ESPN.com

-------------------------------------------------

I really think Deron Williams should have gotten more consideration. Also Jamaal Tinsley.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Default Re: Ellis Wins MIP

I wish we could have taken Monta over Granger last year.

He was deserving. But each of the guys on that list dramatically improved his game, so props to all of them.

Congrats to Monta! He really deserves it from the great things that he's done for GS.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would have chosen Martin. But congrats to Ellis anyways. He's had a great year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wish we could have taken Monta over Granger last year.
    Does everything have to be so negative? Granger is fine, doubled his ppg even. Let's just be happy for Ellis and move on. Sheesh.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Does everything have to be so negative? Granger is fine, doubled his ppg even. Let's just be happy for Ellis and move on. Sheesh.
    There is nothing negative. Monta Ellis is better then Danny Granger and thats how I feel, nothing negative about it.

If I say I rather have Steve Nash then Jamaal Tinsley am I being negative again?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Don't see how it's being negative. He's a GUARD. We need a guard more than a forward. Danny's equivalent talent at guard MIGHT be Monta Ellis.
    WIth this teams current makeup I wish we'd taken him too.
    Jermaine/Ike/Shawne/Monta/Whoever would be a pretty dang nice lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan View Post
    Don't see how it's being negative. He's a GUARD. We need a guard more than a forward. Danny's equivalent talent at guard MIGHT be Monta Ellis.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan View Post
    No kidding. But the thread wasn't about that. Should I go into the DPOY thread and whine about how we don't have Camby/Bowen on our team?We can just be happy for Ellis w/o having to rip the Pacers at the same time.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?