Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1. It was Utah
    1. Jackson told the press that someone called him that word (which is not a six letter term when spoken as slang among african americans fyi)

1 + 1 = 2. The fan was white.
    Also, the work "cracka" is actually a 7 letter word when spoken among my fellow French Americans. It is a term of endearment when spoken by a certain race, only.

Mood

Default Re: IndyStar} Happy Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I realize Moms are supposed to defend their sons and yes mothers day is tomorrow, but I was taken aback by this comment.

The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior. So, I'm sorry, but people are judged by their past - everyone is, everyday, all the time and in every walk of life. (I won't get into a discussion about God here)

OK, I'm going to make a huge assumption here, but if Stephen's mother raised him with the motto, "how can you judge someone because of their past", then I'm starting to understand Stephen a little better - his mom obviously didn't raise Jax to understand that past behavior has consequences.
    That's all basically what I was going to post. No accountability. Not that she has to feel he SHOULD have any for the things some of disagree with during his stay in Indiana, but I'm speaking generally that paints a picture where what you did yesterday is irrelevant. I can understand and agree with that... to a degree, but personally, there's a point where that doesn't and can't work. If my kid said a cuss word in school, sure, move on. If he brought a gun to school and shot it at the sky outside the door..... no. I'm not trying to compare that to Jackson, I am simply presenting a hypothetical example of what would and would not fit under my personal "let's please move on" policy.

Mood

I don't think it's absurd to suggest that Jackson would only mention it if a white fan said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    So, was the fan black? (If anyone here thinks that doesn't matter, you obviously don't live where I live.)

If so, was it condescending use or something else?

Why don't you let someone make the aurgument, before you make yourself look like and ignorant kid who thinks only white people live in indiana. On a side note, Jackson is gone becuase the majority of fans used him as a scapegoat. Anyone who blames Bird for trading Jackson must have no short term memory.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    Why don't you let someone make the aurgument, before you make yourself look like and ignorant kid who thinks only white people live in indiana. On a side note, Jackson is gone becuase the majority of fans used him as a scapegoat. Anyone who blames Bird for trading Jackson must have no short term memory.
    I don't think you understood what I wrote. Please read it again

I know this topic is touchy. But I'd rather have an open discussion about it than ignore it for whatever reason.

- - - - -

Mal, you make a good point.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Edit:

Nevermind. Don't want to even get it started.

We can't act like there haven't been complaints here and there in the past about racism in Utah.

If we're going to hold Jack accountable for past behavior, let's hold Utah fans accountable for past behavior as well.

Edit:

From the article:
    "I can't think of anybody who spoke to me who didn't say, 'Trade him,' " Walsh said. "But beyond that, and more importantly, when I went to the games, I saw he was getting booed. It was like the whole town was down on him. I thought it affected him and it affected us. I thought it would be better if we just ended it."

So basically, Jack was traded because he was booed. Nice. That's a sound basketball decision.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxs mom
    "How can you judge somebody because of their past?" his mother wondered. "I'm just happy that God doesn't do it to us. Man does, but God doesn't."
    What an incredibly stupid thing to say. That just baffles me.

Btw, to comment on that Baron Davis dunk...that was the illest thing I have ever seen. Ever.

Though I may not agree that Kirilenko went home and cried about it...it definitely hurt his confidence. How could it not?

Also, Jack brushing the dirt off Baron's shoulders is THE defining moment of this series so far...the turning point? We can only hope.

p.s. Who would you rather have right now, Chris Paul or Baron Davis?

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    So basically, Jack was traded because he was booed. Nice. That's a sound basketball decision.
    Has nothing to do with the game itself. Has everything to do with business and serving your customers (ie. $). Everything Donnie said makes complete sense. It was a sound business decision to get rid of him under the circumstances.

...and this never had anything to do with Jack's abilities on the basketball court. TPTB recognize Jack's abilities and are consummate professionals at justifying bad behaviour after explaining Artest's psychotic behaviour. Jack was no Reggie Miller (or Ron Artest), but his spot in the lineup was very secure had he not made himself a liability rather than an asset.

The game is intertwined with business and those who support Jack either ignore or underestimate the importance of the business side of this. If Jack had still been loved by the fans, he would probably still be here.

The truth is, the majority of fans care about how the players act...both on and off the court. You can disagree with that viewpoint, blame RC's coaching, blame Bird's scouting and attempt to justify the behaviour all day long, but you will be in the minority and are just flat out wrong. There simply is no excuse and the market has made its decision.

I'm not surprised at what Donnie said, we pretty much knew it all along.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Has nothing to do with the game itself. Has everything to do with business and serving your customers (ie. $). Everything Donnie said makes complete sense. It was a sound business decision to get rid of him under the circumstances.

...and this never had anything to do with Jack's abilities on the basketball court. TPTB recognize Jack's abilities and are consummate professionals at justifying bad behaviour after explaining Artest's psychotic behaviour. Jack was no Reggie Miller (or Ron Artest), but his spot in the lineup was very secure had he not made himself a liability rather than an asset.

The game is intertwined with business and those who support Jack either ignore or underestimate the importance of the business side of this. If Jack had still been loved by the fans, he would probably still be here.

The truth is, the majority of fans care about how the players act...both on and off the court. You can disagree with that viewpoint, blame RC's coaching, blame Bird's scouting and attempt to justify the behaviour all day long, but you will be in the minority and are just flat out wrong. There simply is no excuse and the market has made its decision.
    BRAVO....well put.

The players are quick to point out that..."it's a business", so when TPTB make a business decision should we be so quick to villify them?
    I said it the other day, like it or not, this is Middle-America...the Bible belt (AKA the Rust Belt) and we judge actions harshly. I don't care how much you rant and rave, how much you point your fingers and condemn the citizens of Indianapolis, this is the reality and the players, and you, must live with it.

Jackson is gone, Sarunas is gone, Al, Ron, Reggie, Dale, Chuck, etc etc are ALL gone.....we all have to deal with it.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    BRAVO....well put.

The players are quick to point out that..."it's a business", so when TPTB make a business decision should we be so quick to villify them?
    I said it the other day, like it or not, this is Middle-America...the Bible belt (AKA the Rust Belt) and we judge actions harshly. I don't care how much you rant and rave, how much you point your fingers and condemn the citizens of Indianapolis, this is the reality and the players, and you, must live with it.

Jackson is gone, Sarunas is gone, Al, Ron, Reggie, Dale, Chuck, etc etc are ALL gone.....we all have to deal with it.
    All I know is that basketball decisions should not be made based on what the general public thinks...that is not how you win basketball games.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post

I'm not surprised at what Donnie said, we pretty much knew it all along.
    Show solidarity with dunk on AK-47 avatars!

All I know is that basketball decisions should not be made based on what the general public thinks...that is not how you win basketball games.
    Unfortunately we live in an extremely judgmental and politically correct society, so a team like the Pacers is essentially forced to adhere to the expectations of their sometimes overbearing fanbase.

But, that is the way you pay the bills. If it brings in more money, I wouldn't blame TPTB if they played women, billy goats or Yeti's. It's first and foremost, a business and should be run just like any other business...with everything to do with the bottom line, while pleasing as many paying customers as possible.

If the brass could find five white players who could compete and pack the house every night, so be it. There is no affirmative action in the NBA.

Reppin the 317

Default Re: We should trade for this guy

Quote Originally Posted by Cobol Sam View Post
    Neither of those guys has ever been in the playoffs actually.
    Correct. None of them who are paid quite alot have no playoff experience.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    BRAVO....well put.

I don't see how you can say it was a sound business decision anymore than you can say it was a sound basketball decision. The length and size of the contracts they took back will hurt this team for years. And to make it worse, the team continued to lose support, lost more games, attendance dropped with the loosing streak, and the team lost out on any possible playoff revenue. I don't see the positives. I don't believe that it was the one and only chance to trade SJax, and if it was I would have passed. This team would have been much better off to simply cut Sjax. That would have sent a message. Instead they made a horrible deal.

If the deal costs the Pacers more in salary, helped the team lose attendance revenue (post trade record), helped them lose any possible playoff revenue, and hasn't even fixed their image issue locally or nationally, what makes it a good business decision?

I could understand taking an overpaid player if he played a position of need. Lets say a Derek Fisher. But not only are are Dun and Murphy overpaid, but they play the only two positions the Pacers didn't have a need for. Horrible, horrible deal.

You seem to be ignore the next part of the quote:

"I thought it affected him and it affected us"

It wasn't just that they were booing. It was all about how the booing (which wasn't going to stop) affected Jackson's play negatively, affected the team negatively, and destroyed the entire atmosphere in the arena such that there was no real home court advantage anymore. And Jackson could not make up for his behavior, because he didn't want to, and because he never thought he did anything wrong, just like Ron Artest.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roferr View Post
    But, that is the way you pay the bills. If it brings in more money, I wouldn't blame TPTB if they played women, billy goats or Yeti's. It's first and foremost, a business and should be run just like any other business...with everything to do with the bottom line, while pleasing as many paying customers as possible.

If the brass could find five white players who could compete and pack the house every night, so be it. There is no affirmative action in the NBA.
    Yeah, but the problem is they made this move and it was a disaster with attendence.

Fans talk big about supporting good guys, but that's a lie. It never happens. More fans will go watch a guy like Vick play QB than a guy like Dun play SG.

This is why the trade was a total disaster. It didn't fix ANYTHING. They lost more AND had less fans showing up. Many people I talk to still think the team is a bunch of thugs even with Ron and Jack gone.

If at least the fans that said "I won't go as long as Jack is out there" came flooding back after the deal then that point would be strong and I would concede it. But the fact is they didn't. They found new excuses instead.

And that's why you don't listen to those people when you make biz decisions. Not a single casual Pacers fan think that next year is gonna be great with Jack gone (or Rick gone either). You have a thread like "should I renew my tix", not "I can't wait to get tix now that they got the cancer out".

I'm sorry people hate hearing that, but it's the cold truth. Don't for a minute think I like it either.

I just suspected that was the case all along which is why TPTB irritated me by acting on that pressure. If this was Green Bay and you had the fan base suddenly staying away because of one guy they were vocal about, then you'd know something was up. But MSA/Conseco ride the wave of the W-L column and always have. People have NEVER gone to watch good guys play 500 ball around this town. No, not even in the ABA years.

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    And Jackson could not make up for his behavior, because he didn't want to, and because he never thought he did anything wrong, just like Ron Artest.
    And you wonder why I argue so much on this issue. Because I'M the unreasonable jerk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack after Rio
    I understand, I take responsibility for my actions and everything I've done. And for that, I'm sorry and I do apologize for it.
    This is why this issue remains a hot button for me. Not because of pro-Jack stuff on my part but just the totally wrong and/or unreasonable anti-Jack view.

If you guys wouldn't say things like the above in direct contradiction to the facts I wouldn't be upset.

But this and things like "sure in GS he's better" when statistically and NBA fines-wise he is not in the least bit different or better are why I get so worked up.

We might as well debate why Reggie sucked because he couldn't shoot the 3. If you start out with the wrong facts then of course you are going to have a different opinion. To me it seems like the facts are being driven (and created at times) based on the opinion instead of the other way around.

You won't see me ever argue something like "I wanted him gone because I wanted more stability from the SG spot, or a guy who could drop it closer to 38-40% instead".

And if they'd traded him for that (cough, Pietrus) then I would have loved the deal. But that would have been a smart BIZ CHOICE rather than a reaction to fans choice (we'll take anything you got).

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I realize Moms are supposed to defend their sons and yes mothers day is tomorrow, but I was taken aback by this comment.

The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior. So, I'm sorry, but people are judged by their past - everyone is, everyday, all the time and in every walk of life. (I won't get into a discussion about God here)

OK, I'm going to make a huge assumption here, but if Stephen's mother raised him with the motto, "how can you judge someone because of their past", then I'm starting to understand Stephen a little better - his mom obviously didn't raise Jax to understand that past behavior has consequences.
    What you just said means no second chances and that apologies are worthless.

She's way off base? Come on. Her point is clearly that people make mistakes, not that there is no accountability.

Dude got suspended, lost money and went to court over the Brawl. Dude is going to court over Rio. No accountability? She isn't ripping on the legal system here.

I notice that you clearly avoided quoting Donnie and his disappointment that fans convicted Jackson before the court did, which basically addresses the same issue.

I keep bringing it up for a reason, Al Unser Jr has a FAR worse record right now. Unser will NOT BE BOO'D this month at Indy. He won't be. Period. So don't give me the accountability with Indy residents crap. With him it's "everyone makes mistakes, give him another chance, he's sorry he did it, he needs help maybe"...despite people trying to help him for years.

What is the freaking difference? The guy crashed into another person while driving drunk after plenty of other drinking issues including nasty domestic disputes.

And I'm not even trying to rally everyone against Al Unser. But it pisses me off that he could (theoretically) walk out at Pacers pre-game and get cheered 10 minutes before Jack would be boo'd during intros as a Pacers player.

If I fired shots in public I'd expect to be fired from my job. If I cussed out my boss, fueded with teammates, whined when things didn't go my way I'd expect to be fired.

However, because Stephen is very good at bouncing a ball he doesn't have to worry about the consequences I would have to worry about. He still makes millions and has his dream job. I would say he's gotten his fair share of chances and in the grand scheme of things having some Pacer fans not like him isn't that big of a deal.

Please, please, please, everybody stop making it sound like Stephen got a raw deal. I won't ever feel sorry for a guy making millions because they act like a jerk.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Arcadian - Jackson isn't very good at bouncing a ball either. Just look at his turnover stats.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I expect that from Jay. But coming from you I'm a little disappointed. If you did a statistical analysis--traveling infractions over law infractions--Dunleavy is actually worse.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."