Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

Good for the Golden State fans. They've waited a loooong time for something like this. I remember back when we were in that situation and the feeling of turning the corner was just awesome. Good for them.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cobol Sam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know that I've been tuning into every Dallas vs. Golden State game because I want to see the underdog win.
    I wish we could start a new thread to discuss just this aspect. I've debated the Jackson specific/bad trade stuff as much as anyone, but I'd also like to have a line of discussion ONLY talking about the kind of ball GS is playing as if it were any other unique and exciting team.

Naturally the ties to Indy would still be brought up, but not as the point of debate as they are in here.

If you haven't watched this series you don't know what you are missing, everyone else in America thinks it's as good as basketball gets.

AVERY vs NELLIE
    On that note, as I've said before in here (and elsewhere) this was BY FAR the most exciting bit of ball played in the first round. Nellie's scheme was pure genius and even Avery was pretty crafty in trying to counter the situation at times.

Avery attacked the injured Baron for great success, he countered with a smaller lineup even at one point, he basically pulled out all the stops trying to break the momentum. You could see he and Nellie throwing lineup/strategy changes like punches at each other, attack, counter, attack, counter.

Harris attacks us, we put him on the baseline against Jack at the other end to get a foul. Baron goes right at Terry/Dirk, we'll go right at Baron to put pressure on him too.

JACK/POST GAME
    But the fact was that Jackson just truly destroyed Dirk in the post, especially in game 6. Kerr agreed, Barkley agreed, everyone watching the game saw it. Dirk was taken out of the series and it was all thanks to Jack eliminating any possible post game from Dirk.

Jack would get up under his armpit and deny the ball, on shot attempts by others Jack would firmly plant his butt into Dirk's hip and drive him off the rim, it was classic playoff-caliber physical play and it cause Dirk tons of problems since he is more finesse. Dirk got literally one post make against Jack and that came when Jack fell/was pushed to the ground while fighting him on post-position.

J-RICH
    To match with that you had Rich helping out himself and also being a very physical defender, sometimes on Dirk but also with the rest of the Dallas frontline. Rich wasn't always the offensive focus, but he was constantly having an impact. To me Rich bridged the gap between Jack's physical style and the speed/hustle game of Barnes.

PIETRUS
    Pietrus also played similar to Rich, as a jump shot offensive guy that turned into a fast, physical big on the other end, closing out shooters and banging with the biggest of guys.

BARNES
    Barnes too was just outstanding. He used pure hustle to play "big" vs the Dallas frontline, beating guys to rebounds, flat-out taking it to the rim (did you see that down the lane dunk right over Dirk!!!), and constantly rotating fast to the defend the rim when any Dallas player drove.

BARON
    Baron was actually a bit of a problem last night, though obviously he was hurting. But he forced some pretty terrible shots (one of which even went in). That surprised me. And being hurt he was a defensive gap most of the night. But still he came through at times and prior to this game he was virtually an unstoppable weapon, cruising past Terry at will.

BIGS FOR NEXT ROUND
    And the thing is they still have Al who did go for 43-45% from 3 this year, even in GS as well as Biedrens who is a very quick and crafty big man (exactly the reason they could punt on Ike). If they see Houston in the next round they can still match their size.

Keep in mind that GS beat both Houston and Utah as part of their monster run post the Jack/Baron injury window. They lost in Utah as well, but barely. They clearly can play with the big boys (in terms of size that is) as well as the fast or finesse teams. They also beat PHX down the stretch too.

ONLY ONE TEAM CAN STOP THEM it would appear - the Spurs.
    That was the one team that clearly handled them once they became the team they are now. Otherwise I think we have to take those regular season results very seriously.

WHAT BEAT DALLAS IN GAME 6
    Jackson again - having talked about the team, it should be said that Jackson specifically broke the Mavs in half last night during the 3rd quarter. It was a 2 point game and then Jack just dropped 3 bomb after 3 bomb, created a big steal, went baseline for a layup (classic move from him), and by the time he cooled off in the mid-4th the Mavs were down by 20 and beaten.

Oh, and even when his offense fell off he went ahead and picked up TWO CHARGING calls against the Mavs, which is even better than a regular steal or turnover because it's a foul and a TO combined.

Jackson clearly was the #1 factor on the court in game 6 for either team and the main (but not only) reason the Warriors won that close out game for the BIGGEST UPSET in the playoff history. Barkley also said Jack was the best player on the court in that game, and no one was arguing with him.

See the fans there had no problems getting over Jack standing arguing with a ref while the play went back the other way (which he did blatently in game 6). Why? Because they were weighing the good vs the bad and saw that there was a lot more good coming from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Goldern state before Sarunas... Heading nowhere.
    After Sarunas... Heading to the second round.

The facts speak for themselves!

-Bball

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This performance should just make Jack fans angry... if Jack didn't act up all the time he'd still be a Pacer. Oh well, it was quite fun watching him and the Dubs.
    He got kicked out of TWO GAMES in THIS SERIES, he got fined 50K from the league for one of them. He stood and argued with a ref in GAME 6, the game he took over and crushed Dallas in.

Okay, reality check Jack haters, his attitude has been 100% EXACTLY THE SAME in Oakland. IDENTICAL. Every problem you guys boo'd him for is still going on. During the regular season Warriors fans mentioned his temper, his poor handles at times and his streaky shot.

What they didn't do was boo him off the court and demand that the Warriors drop him. That's why they are in round 2 having knocked off the #1 regular season team and the Pacers finished with one of the worst records in the NBA post-AS break.

Tolerance. Maybe Ron broke ours, but honestly fans have gotten to the point where they boo guys who get hurt too much even. Fans were riding JO for missing a shot even if he took 2 charges and blocked 3 shots at the other end.

Please also note that my issue with Dun is less about his game and more about TPTB taking back a SF when they needed a SG. If it had been PIETRUS instead of Ike and only Al for Troy to go with it then you would have had a balanced trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Every problem you guys boo'd him for is still going on.
    He's still punching out Detroit fans? Damn.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

We are everywhere.

He got kicked out of TWO GAMES in THIS SERIES, he got fined 50K from the league for one of them. He stood and argued with a ref in GAME 6, the game he took over and crushed Dallas in.

Okay, reality check Jack haters, his attitude has been 100% EXACTLY THE SAME in Oakland. IDENTICAL. Every problem you guys boo'd him for is still going on.
    Every problem except one.

If he were still a Pacer and we played last night, it is far more likely that he would have been 2-13 like Dirk instead of scoring 30+ points. His intensity, aggressiveness, shooting consistency, and overall performance with respect to basketball skills have turned one hundred and eighty degrees.

Seemingly every one of the few fast break opportunities that he was a part of as a Pacer, he botched. Moving to a slower tempo fit not just JO but also Jack.

Who knew he was sandbagging in Indiana, or at least moping around so much over disliking our offense.

His admittedly occasionally spectacular play lately (despite some bonehead moves) dosn't make me like him more. It makes me despise the guy for lacking the focus to play this way in blue and gold.

Default Re: We should trade for this guy

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    So Jack had one good playoff game. Big deal. He had some of those for us, too. GS fans wil regret trading for him eventually.
    Still waiting for that regret to kick in. Not sure being THE MAN in the first playoff win in decades at home before a crowd that stood the entire 2nd half was the way to lose their faith in him though.

Care for a revision on this?

His intensity, aggressiveness, shooting consistency, and overall performance with respect to basketball skills have turned one hundred and eighty degrees.
    No, they haven't. You just don't look at the stats very closely or apparently WATCH the games. Jack took bad shots in the Dallas series, he forced dribbles into sloppy turnovers, he certain jawed at the refs, he got cold from outside at times, he got kicked out TWICE and fined 50K by the NBA (and I'm pretty sure that didn't happen every 6 games while he was in Indy)...NOTHING was different.

It's just that people so hated the negatives here that a 28 point night in Indy was overlooked, along with the fact that Jackson is surrouned now by MORE TALENT to cover up his mistakes.

That means he wasn't the problem, other parts of the team were.

Baron > Tins
    Ellis > Army/Saras
    JRich > Granger
    Biedrens > Foster
    Pietrus > Quis
    Barnes > Shawne

You had JO in the post, but otherwise the Pacers had no other guys stepping up in a consistant manner, very little team speed, and GS is more athletic despite the Pacers "going athletic" themselves.

Game 2 vs Dallas - 8 turnovers, gets kicked out of the game, fined by the NBA, nasty calls to WNDE threaten to never watch another game if this jerk is kept on the Pacers

Game 3 vs Dallas - 4 of 12, Pacers fans boo and start chants of trade the bum, TPTB are forced to move him to the bench for the next game to avoid a fan riot

Game 5 vs Dallas - 4 of 14, Pacers fans charge the court and demand his head, kill the bum they shout, people are injured, small children are crying

See, he hasn't been offensive money in every game, he's had ALL the problems he had here. GS just isn't as uptight about that stuff and sees that he's been far more positive than negative overall. What did they get for their patience - 2nd round of the playoffs.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Patience? No.

Honeymoon.

spell it with me:

H - o - n - e - y - m - o - o - n.

The Real Jackson will return at some point.

Its just a good thing for Warriors fans that during the honeymoon period that no member of the Warriors was unstable enough to actually rush into the stands and attack the fans, which completely de-railed his honeymoon period in Indianapolis.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am happy that Steven is doing well in GS. The system here was not suited for his skill set, so the move has made all the difference for him. Nelly is only of the only coaches in the league that would allow Jack to be Jack, so it really is the ideal situation for him.

As far as GS goes, I am really happy about the upset. An 8-1 upset lends credibility to the NBA playoffs. They happen all the time in the NHL, so you have good reason to watch your team play the first round. NBA fans tend to want "great teams," but I think that a good upset is good for the league. Also, I hope that they beat their next opponent because I dream of a GS/Suns series.

Still waiting for that regret to kick in. Not sure being THE MAN in the first playoff win in decades at home before a crowd that stood the entire 2nd half was the way to lose their faith in him though.

Care for a revision on this?

Um, no. Didn't I say he had some good games for us, too? Did I say that they'd regret it in the next week? Sheesh.

There was a point where I really loved Jax being here, too. He was a playoff warrior--but then he stopped giving a crap, starting getting in even MORE trouble, and sucked horribly in the playoffs. (last year I think)

They'll regret it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    Every problem except one.

If he were still a Pacer and we played last night, it is far more likely that he would have been 2-13 like Dirk instead of scoring 30+ points. His intensity, aggressiveness, shooting consistency, and overall performance with respect to basketball skills have turned one hundred and eighty degrees.

Seemingly every one of the few fast break opportunities that he was a part of as a Pacer, he botched. Moving to a slower tempo fit not just JO but also Jack.

Who knew he was sandbagging in Indiana, or at least moping around so much over disliking our offense.

His admittedly occasionally spectacular play lately (despite some bonehead moves) dosn't make me like him more. It makes me despise the guy for lacking the focus to play this way in blue and gold.
    Bingo. The reason I want him out of the Playoffs is because he didn't try in Indiana. All he brought us was pain and heartache from the brawl to Club Rio. Now he is in Golden State and he does this. . . . . what gives?

Patience? Dude, Jack got more than enough patience here. The dude went PSYCHO during the brawl, which is probably easily this franchise's most embarrasing moment ever. From the point he returned from that on out he should have been on ideal behavior. That's patience. At that time, most Pacer fans were still behind our brawlers. Ron and Jack went and broke that trust with even MORE stupid behavior.

Sports Logo

Oyyy....can we create a new thread that is just dedicated to the Warriors in the playoffs and a have a new PD forum that is dedicated to all that is good and bad about SJax?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Okay, reality check Jack haters, his attitude has been 100% EXACTLY THE SAME in Oakland. IDENTICAL. Every problem you guys boo'd him for is still going on.
    Um, it is finals week and I've had a lot of other stuff go down this week, but sorry if I missed the reports of Jackson being arrested/charged twice during his tenure in Oakland.

Oh, he hasn't had any problems with the law there......

Seth, you can keep going on your crusade that Jack was misunderstood here and that Indy fans didn't give him a fair shake. At the end of the day it's not going to change my opinion or a number of others no matter how you try to dress it up. We just disagree.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll agree that he was misunderstood and misused/ miscoached, but he still EARNED every "boo" he received and he EARNED every bit of the dislike that Pacers fans have for how he conducted himself and performed while on the Pacers.

Granted, a certain percentage of that should also have been directed at Carlisle...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

we need a photoshop expert to add some handguns to this picture.

At least we're not talking about Jonathan Bender or Brad Miller (or winning ) ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Patience? No.

Honeymoon.

spell it with me:

H - o - n - e - y - m - o - o - n.

The Real Jackson will return at some point.
    You see mate, some people married Death if the honeymoon would bring them a champion ring. And the truth is that only Detroit and Phoenix could stop GS this year.

Banned

I think that we can add fake Pacer fans to death and taxes as unavoidable. I am curious will these imposters follow Jack when he is once again traded? Fanboys need to grow up and appreciate the fact that we have a NBA team, unlike many small market cities. When I spill milk, I wipe it up and then I MOVE ON.

See, he hasn't been offensive money in every game, he's had ALL the problems he had here. GS just isn't as uptight about that stuff and sees that he's been far more positive than negative overall. What did they get for their patience - 2nd round of the playoffs.
    I hate to jump on the bandwagon against you, Seth, but this phrase right here is part of my problem. This signifies that winning is the most important thing, winning the right way isn't. I don't adhere to winning at all costs....

EDIT: Crap, I shoulda just quoted this and said I agree....Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Seth, you can keep going on your crusade that Jack was misunderstood here and that Indy fans didn't give him a fair shake. At the end of the day it's not going to change my opinion or a number of others no matter how you try to dress it up. We just disagree.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Stephen Jackson is alot better at basketball than Mike Dunleavy. Not to mention much cheaper. I was very happy for him last night.

People Take it slow.

Jax played a great game against Dallas. Big Al and Runi not really playing.

We have Ike and Dunleavy especially the former that would make this trade advantage to the Pacers.

I Loved Jack. I know he is a loyal teammate. But when the ball is not going in that is what I dont like about him. He cant handle himself.

If the Madman goes berserk again this thread will have post like "I told you so......

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

Gotta go with Seth on this one. Opinions can vary, and everyone is entitled to one, but it doesn't change the fact that the NBA is entertainment. Jackson's play in this series was reminicent of the fire and passion of some of the all time great playoff performers. One hopes and prays that the guys we now have will develop some competitive fire, but I simply saw a lot of laying down and taking it at the end of our season.