Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 375 of 1024

Thread: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

  1. #351
    2014 IKL Champion DrBadd01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    United States.
    Posts
    1,968

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    I just checked ESPN insider and found this interesting.

    Apr 27 - Al Harrington's contract can not be insured because of the back and knee surgeries he had in his first run with the Pacers.

    That means if he suffers a career-ending injury the Warriors will have to pay him off without being able to collect on an insurance policy. Probably and hopefully it never comes up.

    Could this be another reason why the trade went down?

    Also . . .

    NBA Investigating Jackson
    Apr 27 - The exit of Golden State's Stephen Jackson after his ejection Wednesday is being investigated by the NBA, a league spokesman confirmed.

    Included in the inquiry is a verbal altercation between Jackson and Mavericks president Terdema Ussery in the midcourt tunnel at American Airlines Center.

    "We're investigating on the court and what transpired after he left the game," NBA spokesman Brian McIntrye said Thursday. -- Fort Worth Star-Telegram

    # "I didn't know who he was, but I really don't care. I still don't care," Jackson said. "He was probably trying to help calm me down, but at that point, I knew that I had the people that were with the Warriors with me, and I didn't know who he was. So at the time, I wasn't trying to hear nothing from nobody else.

    "I was with my people. I was going into the locker room. Everybody else that wasn't with us, I wasn't concerned. If I see him, I probably would've apologized to him, because I didn't know who he was, if he was trying to help me." -- San Francisco Chronicle

    http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/82979.html

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...PGHTPGKB81.DTL

    "Jackson, Mavs exec have words: The league continues to look into the circumstances involving Jackson's exit from the court, during which Jackson was apparently directed into the wrong tunnel by NBA security and had what one observer called a "heated" exchange with Mavericks team president Terdema Ussery.

    "We're investigating the way (Jackson) walked off the court and what transpired after he left the game," league spokesman Brian McIntyre said.

    The Warriors have already contacted the league to express their concerns, which include Jackson having to walk past Dallas fans on his way to the locker room instead of using the usual visitors' tunnel located by the Mavericks' bench.

    Ussery, who was standing just outside of the midcourt tunnel at the time, trailed Jackson toward the locker room and the two exchanged words for about 10 seconds, according to a witness.

    "I didn't know who he was, but I really don't care. I still don't care," Jackson said. "He was probably trying to help calm me down, but at that point, I knew that I had the people that were with the Warriors with me, and I didn't know who he was. So at the time, I wasn't trying to hear nothing from nobody else.

    "I was with my people. I was going into the locker room. Everybody else that wasn't with us, I wasn't concerned. If I see him, I probably would've apologized to him, because I didn't know who he was, if he was trying to help me."

  2. #352
    Banned Big Smooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,204

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess season ticket holders don't matter then. The Mrs. and I renewed tickets because the Pacers did remove some cancer. I wonder how many other ticket holders or business owners renewed because they felt the Pacers WERE trying to improve their image.

    The Pacers surveys seemed to really want to know.
    Maybe they improved their image, but putting a mediocre product on the floor isn't much of a draw either. If I had season tickets, I'd be thinking long and hard about nonrenewal regardless of the "image".

  3. #353

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Well this explains it. If you truly believe part B then maybe you see this as still working out. Honestly I don't think it's certain to not work out, but I LOATHE people spinning how it CURRENTLY looks. Haven't we had enough of "potentially" around here?

    Sure, if Dun can keep that 50%+ from inside the arc, regain a 38% from outside the arc, learn to play defense at a normal NBA 2 guard level (or at SF if Danny or Shawn can becomes SGs, ugh, terrible idea) and Troy can learn to rebound and defend at 85% of the level of Foster rather than about 40% of his level then I can see this team being pretty darn good.

    For Troy's money he MUST be shooting 40% from 3 AND doing exactly what Foster does. He wasn't even close to matching Jeff in defense/boards last year (Reb/48 - Troy 10.4, Jeff 16.8, just to put in facts to back the opinion).

    And honestly Dunleavy also MUST learn to finish on dribble-drives. If he doesn't getthe foul call these are almost always a bust and that's something the team must have from it's perimeter guys.


    See my problem on the long term grade is that neither of these guys address the team's real needs. They needed a TRUE SG, not another SF being asked to rotate around. They didn't need anything Troy offered.

    That's why I say they should have made it Pietrus instead of Ike, and they should have only taken on one bad deal instead of both of them.
    Murphy did shoot like 39% from 3pt one year and he should be capable of doing it. He had no rhythm this year.

    As for "Dun can keep that 50%+ from inside the arc, regain a 38%," that is a pipe dream. Dunleavy is a terrible shooter and defender. I know he pisses Lebron off, but that's about it.

    If you hinge anything on Dunleavy it will break.



    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Jax is very fortunate he didn't get suspended for tonight's game
    Why... for him mouthing off?? He didn't deserve a suspension.


    As for the poster asking earlier

    "would GS do the trade Jax for Dunleavy," the answer is YES.

    I think Dunleavy was hated more in Oakland than Jax in Indiana... hard to believe? Sure. Is it the truth? Hell yea!

  4. #354
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dez Junuts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Dunleavy was hated more in Oakland than Jax in Indiana... hard to believe? Sure. Is it the truth? Hell yea!
    That's very very true.

  5. #355
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Damn the Warriors game is gettin quite the late start tonight...

  6. #356
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dez Junuts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Murphy did shoot like 39% from 3pt one year and he should be capable of doing it. He had no rhythm this year.

    As for "Dun can keep that 50%+ from inside the arc, regain a 38%," that is a pipe dream. Dunleavy is a terrible shooter and defender. I know he pisses Lebron off, but that's about it.

    If you hinge anything on Dunleavy it will break.





    Why... for him mouthing off?? He didn't deserve a suspension.


    As for the poster asking earlier

    "would GS do the trade Jax for Dunleavy," the answer is YES.

    I think Dunleavy was hated more in Oakland than Jax in Indiana... hard to believe? Sure. Is it the truth? Hell yea!
    That is very true. The Warrior fans hate Dunleavy's guts. Go to any of their forums and see it for yourself if you dont guys, if you think we are talking about Jack too much go see how much they talk about Dunleavy.

  7. #357
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Damn look at that crowd. I wish I was at this game

  8. #358

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is your problem. You are trying to ignore Jack's negatives and make your judgement on the trade based soley on numbers. The trade wasn't about numbers. You CANT ignore Jack's negatives. They are part of the player he is and thats why he was traded.
    I disagree, the trade was 100% about numbers - $42,349205 and $37,561,984 to be exact. Thats the amount owed over the next four years to Murphy and Dunleavy. Thats the reason it was a horrible deal. For comparison Al is owed $27,678750 and Jax is owed $21,420,000, each over the next three years. If Troy and Dun had Al and Jax's contracts it wouldn't nearly be as bad a trade. I guess it's a good thing alot of fans like the deal - The Pacers are stuck with these guys for atleast the next three years. My guess is they will be the same cornerstones of the Pacers rebuilding that they where for the Warriors rebuilding process. At the rate management is going the Pacers won't see the playoffs for another three years - when these guys contracts are finally tradeable.

    Forget about Jackson for a minute. Remember how everyone on this board was talking about Isaih destroying the Knicks by taking on horrible longterm contracts for mediocre players? That is exactly what the Pacers just did. IMO it is way worse than $6m per year for Jerome James.

  9. #359
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    My boy just called me from the game and said its absolutely nuts there. He said everybody is standing up and sweating, jumping, and going crazy on every possession. Said its packed to the last seat in the nosebleeds (where he's sitting). Damn I wish I was there

  10. #360
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree, the trade was 100% about numbers - $42,349205 and $37,561,984 to be exact. Thats the amount owed over the next four years to Murphy and Dunleavy. Thats the reason it was a horrible deal. For comparison Al is owed $27,678750 and Jax is owed $21,420,000, each over the next three years. If Troy and Dun had Al and Jax's contracts it wouldn't nearly be as bad a trade. I guess it's a good thing alot of fans like the deal - The Pacers are stuck with these guys for atleast the next three years. My guess is they will be the same cornerstones of the Pacers rebuilding that they where for the Warriors rebuilding process. At the rate management is going the Pacers won't see the playoffs for another three years - when these guys contracts are finally tradeable.

    Forget about Jackson for a minute. Remember how everyone on this board was talking about Isaih destroying the Knicks by taking on horrible longterm contracts for mediocre players? That is exactly what the Pacers just did. IMO it is way worse than $6m per year for Jerome James.
    No its not just about numbers. Jack had to go, there was no way he was gonna be successful in Indiana again with the history he had here. And his trade value was severely hindered by his on and off-court behavior. Therefore we werent going to get much for him and had to take on bad contracts to get rid of him. Im not saying that the trade was good or bad, just neccesary.

  11. #361
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    I bought a ticket in the nosebleeds for like 80 bucks or so, a long time ago just in case the Warriors made the playoffs, and I sold it to my Warrior fan buddy for 250 bucks.

  12. #362
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Man I don't even need to say it anymore. Who's the better team here really?

  13. #363
    Member Jon Theodore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,762

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    remember when i said GSW was going to win this series.

    I really like watching this team play. This is basketball worth watching.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

  14. #364

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After reading the rest of your posts up to this point, I've decided it is barely worth any more of my time to try and explain what I disagree with regarding Jackson. The condensed version is below:

    A few other posts have stated well enough about why Jackson's negatives will always outweigh his positives.

    He needs a "handler" or babysitter to keep him in line. Rodman was a worse nutcase, but at least he could go out and grab 20 rebounds. When his act got too much to handle, he was GONE.

    Jackson's comment succinctly describes the problem. Something about obviously he needs to police himself when it comes to his emotions and he's going to CONTINUE to do that. Tell me when he STARTED doing that. He isn't having very much success, I can tell you that.

    Not because of one random act, but rather a pattern of continued unprofessional behavior, he will forever be labeled a knucklehead. He is what he is, and like Rodman, even if he can grab 20 boards, eventually the luster wears off and it is best if he just LEAVES. Who can defend a player like that as someone to look up to, let alone ADMIRE. He is EXACTLY the kind of person who should have to work a regular-joe job and should not be handed millions of dollars to play a stupid game. If you get lucky enough to get someone to pay you like that for so little meaningful contribution to life, at least be a professional. He can't even accomplish that. He is pretending to get handcuffed in front of a bunch of kids and paying customers when he is introduced.

    That is fabulous citizenry, I tell you....

    Now...I'm done. Defend him all you want; like him all you want. Doing so only adversely affects how you look to people who know better.
    AMEN...AMEN...and AMEN again !!!

  15. #365
    Member #31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    1,811

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Heywoode! WORD!

  16. #366
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,593

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The question is whether we could have traded Jax for Dun straight up. That would have been a win for both teams. We could have traded Al for some others . GS was tired of Dun and we were tired of Jax. The big negative is Murphy who seems to not understand that basketball for a 6'11'' guy is a contact sport.
    Exactly....taking Murphy just to get Ike kills us for this deal.

    Someone should start up a thread asking if Ike is worth the effort to take on Troy's 50mil+ contract. Ike will have to turn out to be an All-Star in order for this deal to even be anything close to a wash.

    We got jobbed on this deal...real bad.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  17. #367
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,024

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly....taking Murphy just to get Ike kills us for this deal.

    Someone should start up a thread asking if Ike is worth the effort to take on Troy's 50mil+ contract. Ike will have to turn out to be an All-Star in order for this deal to even be anything close to a wash.

    We got jobbed on this deal...real bad.
    Yahoo, yeah, that's it start up ANOTHER thread about this kind of stuff .
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  18. #368
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    7,192

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Not because of one random act, but rather a pattern of continued unprofessional behavior, he will forever be labeled a knucklehead. He is what he is, and like Rodman, even if he can grab 20 boards, eventually the luster wears off and it is best if he just LEAVES. Who can defend a player like that as someone to look up to, let alone ADMIRE. He is EXACTLY the kind of person who should have to work a regular-joe job and should not be handed millions of dollars to play a stupid game. If you get lucky enough to get someone to pay you like that for so little meaningful contribution to life, at least be a professional. He can't even accomplish that. He is pretending to get handcuffed in front of a bunch of kids and paying customers when he is introduced.

    That is fabulous citizenry, I tell you....

    Now...I'm done. Defend him all you want; like him all you want. Doing so only adversely affects how you look to people who know better.
    Heywoode, I understand and agree with your distaste for Jack's lack of professionalism. I have no problem accepting the contradicition or ambiguity that he is. He is definitely not the only professional athlete of this nature. While I see both his positives and negatives, I do recognize that the situation here was such that moving him was necessary for both sides.

    However, the manner in which you present above, particularly the bolded parts just dont' come off too well. Who's to say NBA players are luckier than anyone else? Who's to say average Joe job workers are not? Who's to say if a bloated income ensures happiness or prestige for the individual or in the eyes of society? Who's to say that higher degrees of professionalism should be demanded in fields of the highest pay? Seems you are tyring to make a point about morals or values with a statement that implies some questionable moral/value assertions.

    As far as the second bolded point-and let me say I do not support Jack's behavior in any way as I think he is far from being a good role model-who are the people that know better? Knowing only that a person likes or defends Stephen Jackson should not form or decide one's overall appraisal of the individual. Getting to know someone beyond simply the Stephen Jackson issue before making judgment seems reasonable to me.

  19. #369
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Heywoode,......
    However, the manner in which you present above, particularly the bolded parts just dont' come off too well. Who's to say NBA players are luckier than anyone else? Who's to say average Joe job workers are not? Who's to say if a bloated income ensures happiness or prestige for the individual or in the eyes of society? Who's to say that higher degrees of professionalism should be demanded in fields of the highest pay? Seems you are tyring to make a point about morals or values with a statement that implies some questionable moral/value assertions.

    As far as the second bolded point-and let me say I do not support Jack's behavior in any way as I think he is far from being a good role model-who are the people that know better? Knowing only that a person likes or defends Stephen Jackson should not form or decide one's overall appraisal of the individual. Getting to know someone beyond simply the Stephen Jackson issue before making judgment seems reasonable to me.

    Well, NBA players ARE luckier than most people. They get paid my yearly salary or more (per game, or per MINUTE in some cases) to play a GAME. I understand the economics of it, and that if we could get 20,000 people to come and watch me sit at my desk and work 82 times a year, I might be able to command a similar salary, but the fact remains they have it very easy in life compared to the "average" person. Money doesn't guarantee happiness, but it sure puts a heck of a downpayment on it. If these guys AREN'T happy with millions of dollars and with being worshipped, imagine what their behavior would be if they WERE regular-joe's......That is the point I was trying to make.

    Also, I WOULD expect a CEO to act a little more professional than the guys in the warehouse. That has nothing to do with morals/values. It is simply a matter of environment. Therein lies the problem. People who grew up poor and in rough neighborhoods (white or black) are suddenly handed the ultra-rich lifestyle and expected to behave as such. I realize it is difficult for them, and that I would have a much easier time adjusting since I grew up in middle-class, middle-America without such a harsh environment.

    Given that level of understanding for what a lot of NBA players are thrust into, it seems the majority of them come around and can at least accomplish staying out of negative headlines, police blotters, and COURT. Jackson has proven that he cannot. He is not alone, and I've never claimed that he is. He is part of a percentage of NBA players that "spoils the barrel" so to speak, for the rest of them.

    Now, the second paragraph of yours....

    Anyone who doesn't defend Stephen Jackson (or any other knucklehead) is a person who "knows better". How hard is that to understand? Anyone who is willing to forgive Jackson's behavior simply because they think it isn't a big deal or that winning is more important has shown me a whole lot about their opinions. That may be the tip of the iceberg, but I can still tell it is an ICEBERG. While having those opinions doesn't tell me EVERYTHING about someone, I feel confident that it tells me enough.....Maybe it's just me...

    Even if it is, I am comfortable with me. I would say that this is just my opinion, but given the replies to the same post you replied to, I would think that it ISN'T just me.



    RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

  20. #370
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,351

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe they improved their image, but putting a mediocre product on the floor isn't much of a draw either. If I had season tickets, I'd be thinking long and hard about nonrenewal regardless of the "image".

    Smooth the key point in my arguement was Seth's statement.........

    The trade has had zero positive impact up to this point.

    I just disagree in the fact that I am aware some people DID renew their tickets because Stephen was traded. That means there was something positive that came out of the trade. More importantly on the money end of it, it did matter to some companies and while I'd like to pretend my measley upper level tickets are important it's still the big business purchase this franchise really relies on. Just ask the many drug reps who court the physicians by giving them the nice seats.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  21. #371
    Member Jon Theodore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,762

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    look at everyone making real long posts because they wish we were half as good as the warriors.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

  22. #372
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    7,192

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, NBA players ARE luckier than most people. They get paid my yearly salary or more (per game, or per MINUTE in some cases) to play a GAME. I understand the economics of it, and that if we could get 20,000 people to come and watch me sit at my desk and work 82 times a year, I might be able to command a similar salary, but the fact remains they have it very easy in life compared to the "average" person. Money doesn't guarantee happiness, but it sure puts a heck of a downpayment on it. If these guys AREN'T happy with millions of dollars and with being worshipped, imagine what their behavior would be if they WERE regular-joe's......That is the point I was trying to make.

    Also, I WOULD expect a CEO to act a little more professional than the guys in the warehouse. That has nothing to do with morals/values. It is simply a matter of environment. Therein lies the problem. People who grew up poor and in rough neighborhoods (white or black) are suddenly handed the ultra-rich lifestyle and expected to behave as such. I realize it is difficult for them, and that I would have a much easier time adjusting since I grew up in middle-class, middle-America without such a harsh environment.

    Given that level of understanding for what a lot of NBA players are thrust into, it seems the majority of them come around and can at least accomplish staying out of negative headlines, police blotters, and COURT. Jackson has proven that he cannot. He is not alone, and I've never claimed that he is. He is part of a percentage of NBA players that "spoils the barrel" so to speak, for the rest of them.

    Now, the second paragraph of yours....

    Anyone who doesn't defend Stephen Jackson (or any other knucklehead) is a person who "knows better". How hard is that to understand? Anyone who is willing to forgive Jackson's behavior simply because they think it isn't a big deal or that winning is more important has shown me a whole lot about their opinions. That may be the tip of the iceberg, but I can still tell it is an ICEBERG. While having those opinions doesn't tell me EVERYTHING about someone, I feel confident that it tells me enough.....Maybe it's just me...

    Even if it is, I am comfortable with me. I would say that this is just my opinion, but given the replies to the same post you replied to, I would think that it ISN'T just me.
    Definintely not just you. And your explanation is fair enough by me. The thing that often strikes me about the Jackson issue (and similar ones) is the conflating of high or higher standards of behavior, professionalism, etc. with the amount of money earned and also the notion that people earning exorbitant amounts should be happy/content based on that and being celebrities (worshiped by the public). Doesn't particularly appeal to me at all. Of course, some might wonder about the the soundness of that thinking. So who's to say. Thanks for the reply!

  23. #373
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Definintely not just you. And your explanation is fair enough by me. The thing that often strikes me about the Jackson issue (and similar ones) is the conflating of high or higher standards of behavior, professionalism, etc. with the amount of money earned and also the notion that people earning exorbitant amounts should be happy/content based on that and being celebrities (worshiped by the public). Doesn't particularly appeal to me at all. Of course, some might wonder about the the soundness of that thinking. So who's to say. Thanks for the reply!
    Yeuh...Glad we can discuss without being rude!

    And, to another poster, I'm not worried about the Warriors being better than the Pacers....They're still the WARRIORS.....hehe



    RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

  24. #374
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, NBA players ARE luckier than most people. They get paid my yearly salary or more (per game, or per MINUTE in some cases) to play a GAME. I understand the economics of it, and that if we could get 20,000 people to come and watch me sit at my desk and work 82 times a year, I might be able to command a similar salary, but the fact remains they have it very easy in life compared to the "average" person. Money doesn't guarantee happiness, but it sure puts a heck of a downpayment on it. If these guys AREN'T happy with millions of dollars and with being worshipped, imagine what their behavior would be if they WERE regular-joe's......That is the point I was trying to make.

    Also, I WOULD expect a CEO to act a little more professional than the guys in the warehouse. That has nothing to do with morals/values. It is simply a matter of environment. Therein lies the problem. People who grew up poor and in rough neighborhoods (white or black) are suddenly handed the ultra-rich lifestyle and expected to behave as such. I realize it is difficult for them, and that I would have a much easier time adjusting since I grew up in middle-class, middle-America without such a harsh environment.

    Given that level of understanding for what a lot of NBA players are thrust into, it seems the majority of them come around and can at least accomplish staying out of negative headlines, police blotters, and COURT. Jackson has proven that he cannot. He is not alone, and I've never claimed that he is. He is part of a percentage of NBA players that "spoils the barrel" so to speak, for the rest of them.

    Now, the second paragraph of yours....

    Anyone who doesn't defend Stephen Jackson (or any other knucklehead) is a person who "knows better". How hard is that to understand? Anyone who is willing to forgive Jackson's behavior simply because they think it isn't a big deal or that winning is more important has shown me a whole lot about their opinions. That may be the tip of the iceberg, but I can still tell it is an ICEBERG. While having those opinions doesn't tell me EVERYTHING about someone, I feel confident that it tells me enough.....Maybe it's just me...

    Even if it is, I am comfortable with me. I would say that this is just my opinion, but given the replies to the same post you replied to, I would think that it ISN'T just me.
    So Jack was luckier than you when he was 13? I didn't have it all that great myself, but I had it better than that. This kind of "hate the rich" moral pontification really irritates me, it's so narcissitic and self-congratulating. The dude built a school for kids in a poor area of his hometown, did you ever do that?

    I know plenty of average joe's with regular jobs who go out to bars, get drunk and start fights. Sometimes they get in fights over sports discussions even. In fact many stats trend towards more violent behavior among people with less money, people with regular jobs. You just don't read about them because no one cares.


    The guy doesn't control his temper enough. And even with that it's only during sports or when other people start fights with him. NO ACCOUNT of Rio or the Palace have Jackson starting it. Did he finish it the right way? No. But getting physical with people that threaten you physically isn't exactly anti-human nature, especially with men.

    People keep assigning him this long list of non-game emotional outbursts. Which ones are those? Before Rio when was he busted dealing drugs, getting in a bar fight, cheating on his taxes, embezzling city money....

    Luckily regular job people have ever done those things, and certainly no proper, professional people have.


    How many times must I repeat Hilbert's name. He's got the #1 best pair of seats to every Pacers game. He's got enough money to buy Jack 10 times over. How'd he finish up at Conseco and who's his wife again? (6th wife btw)

    The former Conseco CEO was once the highest paid executive in America at over $100 million a year. Earlier the same judge ruled that Hilbert must repay $72 million to Conseco for interest on unpaid loans.
    Here's one source for that, but it's from the AP feed I believe.
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1282536/posts
    The case concerns interest Conseco paid on Hilbert's behalf on more than $162 million in company-backed loans he used to buy Conseco stock. Hilbert has repaid little of the more than $240 million in principal and interest he allegedly owes.


    The loan program was created in 1996 at the direction of Hilbert, who was Conseco's chairman and chief executive until 2000. Conseco, since emerging from bankruptcy reorganization in 2003, has tried to recover the full debt of only the largest 11 borrowers.
    http://indianalawblog.com/archives/2...urts_tomi.html

    Not a freaking peep is said about this by anyone but me. That makes most of the moral outrage bunch extremely hypocritical.



    It's not a pro-Jack thing, it's an anti-"I'm so offended, he's so evil" stance. It's disgusting and disingenuine.

    BTW, if you want morality questions then maybe do a search on LARRY BIRD and his daughter.

  25. #375
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: The Official Golden State/Stephen Jackson Thread

    I'm offended by Jack. And while "evil" is a strong word, I think the guy has very serious problems with anger management and self control and I don't want his ticking time-bomb *** anywhere near our franchise.

    THAT'S GENUINE AND LEGITIMATE.

    The man has problems and outright REFUSES to own up to them. Buh-bye, Jack. Good riddance.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •