Thread: Bill Simmons Gets it Right BUT v_d_g was there first

Default Bill Simmons Gets it Right BUT v_d_g was there first

Here's a quote from Simmon's article on espn:

"2. I'd like to request that Al Harrington changes his nickname from "Big Al" to "Small Al" or "If We Blow This Series I'm The Reason Al." Thanks."

(Full story here: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...x?name=simmons)

Flashback to this summer when the board was unanimous in wanting the Baby Al trade to go through.

HOWEVER v_d_g wanted no part of "get-you-one-when-you-need-2-late-in-the-game-AL" (in other words, He AIN'T CLUTCH --- to say the least)

What a costly transaction by TPTB this turned out to be.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: Bill Simmons Gets it Right BUT v_d_g was there first

Well, at least you didn't mention the pick.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, at least you didn't mention the pick.
    Not explicitly, anyway.

Did you enjoy Al going 1 for 2 at the line in game 5?

check out some more gems from Simmons

3. Take it from someone who just spent the last six months watching Doc Rivers and Mike Dunleavy: If you want to see how an NBA game should be coached during the game, watch this series and watch how Avery Johnson uses his timeouts, or how Nellie tests his struggling guys (Harrington, Pietrus and Ellis) every game and yanks them for good at the exact moment it's clear that they don't have it. Really fun to watch.

4. I've seen hammered college kids playing "Pop A Shot" at 3 a.m. with better form than Andris Biedrins from the FT line. Why does it look like both of his arms are in plaster casts? Does he have elbows?

5. No offense, TNT execs ... but Kevin Harlan or Marv Albert should be calling this series. End of story. You screwed up.

6. Just about everyone forgot this because of his on/off the court problems, but Stephen Jackson happens to be a genuinely good player who's played for some quality teams and definitely fits the "I'd go to battle with him" profile. (The Spurs wouldn't have won a title without him in 2003, remember?) I'm always amazed that NBA GMs don't value playoff experience more than they do -- for instance, Indiana tried to give away Jackson for three straight months and nobody bit. By all accounts, he's a loyal teammate (and then some, as witnessed in the Artest melee); Reggie Miller even defended him during one of the playoff broadcasts by saying something like, "People don't realize this, but Stephen's a good guy, he really is." Considering his reasonable salary (averages out to $7 million per year through 2010), his playoff pedigree and his fearlessness in big games, it's hard to believe that a contender like the Suns, Nets or Jazz didn't say, "Screw it, let's take a flier on this guy."

SJ ALSO happens to BE CLUTCH and ATHLETIC and he can ACTUALLY SHOOT. So, of course, WE WOULDN'T WANT HIM (cause we want SLOW, NON ATHLETIC, POOR SHOOTING PLODDERS who are good citizens --- let's take that charge like MIDWEST BBALL demands.)

What a JOKE, man. BIRD and WALSH really need to be OUT of WORK.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by v_d_g View Post
    Here's a quote from Simmon's article on espn:

"2. I'd like to request that Al Harrington changes his nickname from "Big Al" to "Small Al" or "If We Blow This Series I'm The Reason Al." Thanks."

(Full story here: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...x?name=simmons)

Flashback to this summer when the board was unanimous in wanting the Baby Al trade to go through.

HOWEVER v_d_g wanted no part of "get-you-one-when-you-need-2-late-in-the-game-AL" (in other words, He AIN'T CLUTCH --- to say the least)

What a costly transaction by TPTB this turned out to be.

No...no it wasn't. Not by a loooong shot. I for one was against it, but left it to TPTB to show me how it was to work. There were several others in the same boat with me or even more vocal against it.

But anyway.....ancient history.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

That was a great article. Dude actually writes some decent stuff when it's not littered with the Boston bias I am usually sick of anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    No...no it wasn't. Not by a loooong shot. I for one was against it, but left it to TPTB to show me how it was to work. There were several others in the same boat with me or even more vocal against it.

But anyway.....ancient history.
    I think Bball & I had a contest going for a while there. Kept trying to come up with some sort of logical reason for picking up a player who plays the same position as your best player.

I'll admit I never came up with the, "So when the Pacers get completely desperate to unload Stephen Jackson they can package Harrington with him to get two slower, less athletic players with contracts obscene enough to put Indy in long-term salary cap hell" explanation.

If Bball had that one I missed it.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ok you picked it...you want a freaking cookie. It is getting old. Can we make a thread for this......Oh wait we already have

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by v_d_g View Post

Uh.... I think not .
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I was for it but it wasn't unanimous at all. Frankly I loved his 45% 3 ball and who wouldn't? Even if he dives in the playoffs you still get 82 games of deep ball threat, not exactly the Pacers strong suit otherwise.

The problem was far less about where to play him and far more about his attitude regarding the whole thing. He had to know what he was coming to, both with JO and Rick. And the reason he was brought in more than anything was because they felt that he would bring in a positive vibe as a good guy and JO pal.

Instead he was the most disruptive guy on the team. Jack goes off in the frustration of competition, but give him a few hours and he always calms down and rejoins the fold. Contrast that with Al citing Ron Artest of all people as who he was going to be more like in terms of seeking out his own shot.

Yeesh, swing and a miss when it came to counting on Al to help the attitude and team morale.

Simmons is a little off on Pietrus, he's been involved in plenty of critical times and come up pretty well on both ends of the court. Al OTOH is catching up with Saras in the splinter dep't.

While we are on the subject of former Pacers/Warrior quirks, if you've bothered to watch the Warriors lately, esp. the playoffs, you know that they are as up-tempo and open court as anyone other than the Suns. Ironically the LEAST up-tempo guy, the one that seems far more comfortable starting out of a HC set is...Cabbages.

The few times he gets into the game he looks like a massive speed downgrade compared not just to Baron or Ellis, but Barnes, Jack and Pietrus as well. And right off the bat he slows it down, steadies himself, and then tries to run a more traditional HC play.

He honestly looks worse in the up-tempo of GS than he did in the HC of Indy. People mistake offense only, no defense at all Euro style with up-tempo, and they aren't the same thing. Watching GS attack every single pass recipient before they even get the ball shows the difference as clear as day, it looks nothing like what you see at the WBCs or something.

I wasn't for re-acquiring Al initially, but warmed to the idea once I realized how much his 3-ball had improved since being w/the Hawks. Considering it was a talent the Pacers no longer had w/any consistency, I figured like Naptown, "Let's see how RC is going to use him." For the record, RC's game plan was solid as far as using JO and Al as a 1-2 punch. It was Al, not RC, who screwed that up by not wanting to play 2nd fiddle to JO and not be "compartmentalized" in his playing style. Had Al accepted his role, that 1-2 punch would have been nasty!

I definately didn't want Harrington.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

What's Pop A Shot?
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!