Thread: The biggest question BY FAR

Default The biggest question BY FAR

is how do we get Mike Conley in a Pacers uniform?

I know, but I REALLY want this guy. He answers a lot of needs if we keep Jermaine.

If we trade Jermaine (high pick and a good guard) I'd love to get that 7'3" kid from CT. Great athlete, shot blocker, defense. Ike could thrive at the 4 alongside a guy like that. Danny/Shawn at the 3. set for the next decade up front.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The biggest question BY FAR

I don't think you can, since you don't have a pick, and Conley will go top-10.

Well, you can trade Granger, but I don't see Indiana doing it. That's the only guy that will work though.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    is how do we get Mike Conley in a Pacers uniform?

I know, but I REALLY want this guy. He answers a lot of needs if we keep Jermaine.

If we trade Jermaine (high pick and a good guard) I'd love to get that 7'3" kid from CT. Great athlete, shot blocker, defense. Ike could thrive at the 4 alongside a guy like that. Danny/Shawn at the 3. set for the next decade up front.
    I'm confused.....you first ask how we can get Mike Conley....then say that you want to get Hasheem Thabert from UConn?

Are you suggesting that we get 2 1st round draft picks?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Banned

Moving J.O. would land us a pick high enough to draft Conley + a good deal more most likely.

What about J.O. and Tinsley to Minnesota for Foye, their 1st rounder (#7) and contracts? I'd seriously consider it. The thing is, is Foye a point guard or a shooting guard? At 6'4", and with only average passing skills, I'd say shooting guard, but I'm sure a lot of you will disagree with me. Still, turning J.O. into Foye and Conley would be a-ok with me and I think Minnesota would strongly consider it as well.

Tinsley/McCants/Davis/Garnett/O'Neal with Mike James as a 6th man - thats a team that can make some noise.

%0 chance Minnesota deals their pick AND their only young stud. They'd sooner trade KG and build around Foye and their #7 pick.

I'm sure they wouldn't mind taking JO's salary since they have 50 bad contracts of their own, but I highly doubt they give up their first good young player in 10 years plus their #7 pick, just to pair KG with JO, since they wouldn't go anywhere with both of them anyway.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I'm confused.....you first ask how we can get Mike Conley....then say that you want to get Hasheem Thabert from UConn?

I believe that is what he is saying. We won't need to draft a gaurd if we get a good one in return for JO along with the pick that would land us this kid. And I agree........I think I'd REALLY like to have him.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Hasheem Thabeet is a kid I really like too. Great athlete, gigantic body, excellent instincts. I wouldn't mind getting him at #15.

The downside is, he's going to play 5-10 minutes at most his first year. The kid was barely ready for college basketball. He plays on instinct alone, and has very little feel for the game.

Whoever drafts Thabeet is going to need a lot of patience.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Hasheem Thabeet is a kid I really like too. Great athlete, gigantic body, excellent instincts. I wouldn't mind getting him at #15.

The downside is, he's going to play 5-10 minutes at most his first year. The kid was barely ready for college basketball. He plays on instinct alone, and has very little feel for the game.

NBADraft.net has him going to you at 15.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

NBAdraft.net is a nice site, but never take much of what they say too seriously. I still have their comparison of Loren Woods to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar saved....

BTW, NBAdraft.net also has Acie Law going #20. If he falls to #15 it'll be a miracle, and it'll be an even bigger one if Dumars passes up on him.

Banned

Thabeet wont be around at #15. Probably #5-10. Look at Saer Sene last year going at #10, and he isn't half the prospect Thabeet is.

%0 chance Minnesota deals their pick AND their only young stud. They'd sooner trade KG and build around Foye and their #7 pick.

I'm sure they wouldn't mind taking JO's salary since they have 50 bad contracts of their own, but I highly doubt they give up their first good young player in 10 years plus their #7 pick, just to pair KG with JO, since they wouldn't go anywhere with both of them anyway.
    Their first good young player in 10 years? I seem to recall a 24 year old Chauncey Billups being with the Wolves not too long ago.

As for would they do the deal, it's certainly possible, unlike your 0% claim. They've clearly shown they'd prefer to keep Garnett than to fully rebuild, and adding a 20/10/3/3 center in O'Neal would finally give KG a proper sidekick to make some noise. As far as them not going anywhere, I beg to differ. A KG/JO front court would be, bar none, the best front court in the league. We're talking 45 points, 23 rebounds, 7-8 assists, -45 blocks and 2 of the top-5 post defenders in the league. Throw in another high teens scorer in Davis, a pair of solid point guards in James and Tinsley, and a blossoming shooting guard in McCants, and thats a team that can and would make a lot of noise in the West. 50+ wins, guaranteed. Add in the fact that they still owe the Clippers a 1st rounder (albeit top-10 protected), and it makes the deal that much more feasible for Minnesota. Not to mention, if Minnesota really wanted to compete, they could pick up another good addition via the MLE.

Their first good young player in 10 years? I seem to recall a 24 year old Chauncey Billups being with the Wolves not too long ago.
    I meant the first good young player they've drafted in 10 years.

McHale's rep is bad enough. he's not going to get rid of the few good choices he DOES make.

That would make the Pacers responsible for 2 West playoff teams. Minnesota is a lot closer to Indy than Oakland is, TPTB would be getting closer at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    That would make the Pacers responsible for 2 West playoff teams. Minnesota is a lot closer to Indy than Oakland is, TPTB would be getting closer at least.
    Danny Ainge is partially responsible for the #1 playoff seed in the east, so I suppose its only fair for Bird to hook up the other conference.

Back to Conley, TPTB need to do whatever is necessary to get him, and yes, that includes trading Danny. The only reason to not do everything possible to get Conley is if somebody is stupid enough to give us Oden (see DaSMASH's thread from last week.)
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    I'd love to get that 7'3" kid from CT. Great athlete, shot blocker, defense.
    Is Rick Smits getting his Master's or something?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2J View Post
    ...adding a 20/10/3/3 center in O'Neal.....
    You must be talking about Shaq. Jermaine would never allow them to call him a "center".

Sports Logo

So...you're suggesting that if the TWolves had a chance to keep KG and get JONeal...that they wouldn't do that?

but I would think that JONeal + KG alone would be good enough to make it into the Playoffs...if not the 2nd round.

Assuming that the TWolves don't get the #1 or #2 pick....how can a 7th pick + Foye be any better then JONeal?

I could be wrong....but the Twolves have a short window of time with KG ( assuming that he stays ) before his contract expires next season ( or he opts out ) ....why wait for Foye and whatever SF/PF to develop when you got JONeal?

I'm not saying that JONeal would guarantee a championship....but wouldn't JONeal + KG get them farther into the Playoffs then one with Foye and some rookie?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

It looked like it was 2 different scenarios.

He wanted Conley only if we kept JO. Not going to happen since we couldn't get a first round draft pick by trading someone else (maybe Granger).

If we trade JO and get a good guard and a 1st round pick, then get Thabeet.

I think it's pretty much impossible.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMltKsoDwe8&NR=1
    press pause on the second slow-mo replay around 0:12 mark

Quote Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
    It looked like it was 2 different scenarios.

He wanted Conley only if we kept JO. Not going to happen since we couldn't get a first round draft pick by trading someone else (maybe Granger).

If we trade JO and get a good guard and a 1st round pick, then get Thabeet.
    Yes, yes and yes. trade a forward or package to get into top 10 to draft Conley IF we keep Jermaine.

Yes that would likely take Granger.

Quote Originally Posted by carpediem024 View Post
    I think it's pretty much impossible.
    Not if we trade one or more of our forward logjam.

Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar

So I'm going to take it that you want another "Harrison" work in progress?
    That is the last thing the Pacers need.

How about we address the problems in the guard positions?
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

Mood

NBAdraft.net is a nice site, but never take much of what they say too seriously. I still have their comparison of Loren Woods to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar saved....

BTW, NBAdraft.net also has Acie Law going #20. If he falls to #15 it'll be a miracle, and it'll be an even bigger one if Dumars passes up on him.
    NBADraft puts in some good player bios that's what they seem to do best.

Quote Originally Posted by indricity View Post
    So I'm going to take it that you want another "Harrison" work in progress?
    That is the last thing the Pacers need.
    Well, I'd like him on the Pistons because I think we can afford to wait on him.

BTW, Harrison's problem was never his talent, or his ability to play at an NBA level. It was his temper.