Thread: Rick Carlisle and Play Calling

Banned

Default Rick Carlisle and Play Calling

I am watching the Utah\Rockets game and have noticed that Jerry Sloan is calling just about every play the Jazz are running other than the primary and secondary fast breaks.

The commentator also commented on this and said Sloan did this dating back to the John Stockton era. I now question the validity of the play calling criticisms of Rick Carlisle. Thoughts?

Default Re: Rick Carlisle and Play Calling

I don't think Sloan's plays are as complicated as Rick's. They're mostly pick and rolls. He also has players who are willing to adapt to his play callings. It's known the Deron Williams works with Stockton in the offseason, plus Utah is good at drafting players and bringin in guys that fit that system.

Utah never has the most athletic players, but they have smart guys who can make shots.

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think Sloan's plays are as complicated as Rick's. They're mostly pick and rolls. He also has players who are willing to adapt to his play callings. It's known the Deron Williams works with Stockton in the offseason, plus Utah is good at drafting players and bringin in guys that fit that system.

Utah never has the most athletic players, but they have smart guys who can make shots.
    That's all true. Also Sloan does not take cr@p from anyone. RC seems to be the type to avoid conflict. No back bone IMO. There is no way Jack would have treated Sloan with such utter disrespect.

Banned

I don't know fellas... I'm really not comfortable saying Rick Carlisle avoids conflict or is a push over. It may be that Rick doesn't put this stuff out in the media, but all sorts of things could be (and are) occurring outside of our view.. Also remembering that Sloan has had some problems with player attitudes before, such as Kirilenko earlier this year.

One thing I definitely agree with is that Utah has player who are willing to be coached for the most part. Also that Sloan runs the pick and roll based offense.

If the criticism is that Rick's offense is too complicated for the players we have thats one thing. But to blame his play calling from the bench for our problems, thats a different and much less credible thing.. in my opinion.

I don't think that Sloan is any more popular with his players than Rick is but he is a more dominant personality than Rick.

Yes Sloan has always called the plays. Even the great John Stockton didn't call the plays

Yes the criticism of Rick "calling all the plays" is completely unwarranted

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Yes Sloan has always called the plays. Even the great John Stockton didn't call the plays

Yes the criticism of Rick "calling all the plays" is completely unwarranted
    Ohh its warranted. When it doesnt work and when every player that comes through your team hates playing for you and hates the way you shackle them while playing a game they love, yeah its warranted. The best part of Rick Carlisle's playing calling is that he is so hard headed to sometimes change his ways, even when its clear his team is garbage when he calls plays boy ohh boy good ol Ricky will still keep calling his trusty plays.

Rick Carlisle's perfect basketball team would be 5 emotionless robots.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac View Post
    Ohh its warranted. When it doesnt work and when every player that comes through your team hates playing for you and hates the way you shackle them while playing a game they love, yeah its warranted. The best part of Rick Carlisle's playing calling is that he is so hard headed to sometimes change his ways, even when its clear his team is garbage when he calls plays boy ohh boy good ol Ricky will still keep calling his trusty plays.

Rick Carlisle's perfect basketball team would be 5 emotionless robots.

I just don't think that this is a good argument. The problem this year wasn't with getting good shots. Rick Carlisle's play calling this year produced open shots every game. Post-trade the team executed his plays well and I didn't see any hesitation in doing so. We don't have good scorers or shooters, that was the problem on offense. We have a roster that needs to be adjusted.

I think that addresses Rick's hardheadedness as well. His play calling was working towards the end of producing good looks, so there was no reason to change that.

When I see these arguments I feel like we are putting a lot of weight into the statements of players who have left the franchise. When a player moves there is a lot of emotions involved, guys say things. In addition to this, with all the drama and hurdles the franchise has faced the past few seasons, guys who get moved may feel like they are being saddled with the blame. They are going to be defensive and make comments. Etc...

I'm not knocking you, I just think it isn't a good argument.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    I don't think that Sloan is any more popular with his players than Rick is but he is a more dominant personality than Rick.
    I also wonder if there is a certain level of respect that Sloan commands with players....much like players would show some level of respect ( by extension, listen to him and trusting what he asks you to do ) to certain coaches ( like Nellie or Phil Jackson ) that other coaches do not get.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

The mistake Carlisle made was not putting his foot down from day one. He let issues arise, and didn't crush them until they got out of hand (Artest's issues, Stephen Jackson's backtalk, Tinsley and Daniels incident, Jermaine O'Neal yelling at him early in the year - and then doing what Jermaine wanted etc...

Sloan might have had a couple of incidents, but it's very very rare. Nobody is going to walk over him EVER. Carlisle should have put his foot down in the same way from the minute he walked in the door and he would have never had a problem. Even if he did have an issue arise, he could have punished that player to the point where they'd never think about doing such a thing again. I think that's Carlisle's weakness. I'm sure at his next stop he'll establish who he is from day one.