Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "last" Rick Carlisle show

Sports Logo

Default Re: The "last" Rick Carlisle show

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He said he was the second best, errrr, second most talented player on the roster......
    When Tinsley is your 2nd most talented player on the roster.....that's really bad.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    When Tinsley is your 2nd most talented player on the roster.....that's really bad.
    There is a lot of talk about Tinsley's talent. I am amazed at his ability to dribble the ball, but otherwise I just don't see it at all. At best, it is talent misplaced and poorly used...which is completely worthless. At worse, he is very much overrated.

He cannot defend AND he cannot shoot. Those are two very large deficiencies in his talent level that do not seem to get enough attention. Yes, we harp on this, yet he still seems to get this pass that he's so talented. I think those two factors are enough to drop him below average as a starting PG.

I guess some people must like seeing him post up. The part I see is when the other team gets a fast break easy basket off garbage play. That is at best talent misused.

Other people see him pass the ball and think oooooh he can pass. Yes, he once in awhile makes a tricky pass. Those rare instances are not what wins ball games. What he does not do is engage his team mates like Jason Kidd and Steve Nash. He simply does not make the other players better. Instead, he spends his time dribbling into the paint for a little streetball competition. It's pure garbage!

One bright shining hope I have this summer is that JT is traded. Considering everything...particularly shooting and defense, McLeod brings more than JT anyway.

shooting 39% from the field as a guard and being unable to defend anybody is a rare gift.

JT must have a whole portofolio of pictures of RC, LB, and DW cavorting with farm animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    And hopefully some of the anti-RC crowd have noted that I (and you by quoting ) have indicated that we're all behind the change if it actually works.

One caveat I might add would be WITH THESE PLAYERS.

I don't want to hear a damn thing if they totally change the team and the new coach magically does better with a better roster. Not that it's clear exactly how that would happen.

If you dump Rick then I almost demand that TPHB (formally known as TPTB) keep the same exact roster since moving RC says loud and clear that the problem was the coach, not the players. Okay, prove it to me, keep this roster and show me a coach doing better with it, then I'll concede that I was totally wrong and that moving RC was 100% the right thing to do. Otherwise why were you moving the coach if you knew the roster was broken?

Likewise. I am with Naptown and ABA days on this one. I would like Carlisle to have a Jerry Sloan type of career here. Sure, Sloan had some bad years but with a decent roster, he has brought them back. Some tweaks here and there and a full training camp with Dunleavy, Murphy and Diogu, we will be set. IMHO, we need to step back and have a little patience. If some on this board had their druthers, we will have a coach every 20 games.

The Simons need to can TPTB as much as Rick, they built this turdbird. I don't understand why they do not go more of the blame. Donnie did great at one time, but lately his house is a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala View Post
    Likewise. I am with Naptown and ABA days on this one. I would like Carlisle to have a Jerry Sloan type of career here. Sure, Sloan had some bad years but with a decent roster, he has brought them back. Some tweaks here and there and a full training camp with Dunleavy, Murphy and Diogu, we will be set. IMHO, we need to step back and have a little patience. If some on this board had their druthers, we will have a coach every 20 games.
    I am not anti-RC at all, but players (not just Pacer-thugs) do not like playing for him. ...so no, I don't want him around here long term. ...but we definitely could do worse.

Some see only good in RC. Others see only bad. I think RC is well above average as an NBA coach in some areas, but considering his social skills and how he handles the players....he is merely average.

Larry Brown is the better coach. Bird is probably better as well.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Brown? First off, their peers didn't see it that way for 4 straight years when Rick finished higher than Brown in COY voting, including the year Brown's Pistons won the title.

Secondly, social skills? What, like going to the paper in order to attack your PG and create a personal vendetta? Or maybe it was like ripping on Reggie when he was putting in the most effort and the best play (as told by teammate Eddie Johnson)? Perhaps it was benching Rose after coveting him so much you had the team send Jax out to Denver to get him, simply because you didn't like how he played.

Oh, oh, remember how the Piston players loved Brown during that 2nd season, especially when he went chasing after the NYK job?

See, when it's not in-house people ignore all the issues players have with OTHER coaches. AI was sick of him, so was Marbury, so were ALL the Pacers at the time.

For the record, the Heat players once talked about burning out on Riley's message as well and tuning him out. I think Zo was the one who told the story, back when Riley was sticking his head in a bucket of water.

All the players that hated Rick hated him for how he used them in games, yet basically all of them have gone on to fill the same or lesser roles with other teams.

The "Rick alienates players" is way overrated. It's become a self-perpetuating myth, or perhaps I was confused when I saw Jack go out of his way to hug Rick, the guy he "hated" (Gnome saw it too btw).

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    shooting 39% from the field as a guard and being unable to defend anybody is a rare gift.

JT must have a whole portofolio of pictures of RC, LB, and DW cavorting with farm animals.
    No. Other NBA teams have scouts. That's the problem. Doesn't help that the back-up is 38 and shoots 30% from 3 himself, and gets badly beat on defense all the time when he gambles and lunges for steals, etc.