Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers & Sixers will have a coin flip (edit: TODAY) to see who gets 1 more ping pong

Default Pacers & Sixers will have a coin flip (edit: TODAY) to see who gets 1 more ping pong

Because the Pacers and Sixers ended in a tie - here is how a tie is broken. The part in bold is what applies in this situation - because the 12th team gets 7 combinations (.7% chance of getting the top pick) and the 11th team gets 8 combinations (.8% of getting top pick).

In the event of a tie, each tied team receives the average of the total number of combinations for the positions involved. In 2006, the Minnesota Timberwolves and Boston Celtics tied for sixth, resulting in each team getting 53 combinations (the average of 63 and 43). Should the average number not be an integer, a coin flip is then used to determine which team or teams receive the extra combination(s).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery

Default Re: Pacers and Sixers will have a coin flip to decide who gets more ping pong balls

Hawks fans must be happy.

Default Re: Pacers and Sixers will have a coin flip to decide who gets more ping pong balls

Wow. If we hadn't had those moments of epiphany against Miami and SA... I don't want the Pacers to lose on purpose...but MAN. Sorry if I'm being repetitive.

Aww man, now if the Sixers get a top 3 pick I'm going to be mad no matter what

Nevermind, I see you actually addressed this in the original post that I carelessly didn't completely read apparently.

Default Re: Pacers and Sixers will have a coin flip to decide who gets one more ping pong bal

I am sadden that our seasons hopes lie in a handful of ping pong balls.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers and Sixers will have a coin flip to decide who gets one more ping pong bal

I'm laying 5-1 odds right now that Tinsley misses the morning toss-around.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The question is, who do the Pacers send to represent them in the lottery?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dominique Wilkins?
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Spud Webb

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    I am sadden that our seasons hopes lie in a handful of ping pong balls.
    They don't. Haven't you heard Donnie? It lies in the hands of Dunleavy and Murphy rather than Jackson and Al.

I assume most of you are really, really happy based on comments around the time of the trade. I wish I could share everyone's optimism about building around Dun now that dirty, dirty Jack has been moved to yet another playoff team (seems to have a knack for that).

Yes I'm bitter. Look at the GS record. Just that would have had the Pacers vs TOR in round 1. That's a decent shot for a first round win. Then CLE perhaps. Even if they couldn't win it all and didn't have a pick, at least it would be a pick around 18 they were giving up instead of 11/12 and we'd get to watch a few more weeks of ball.

And then they could STILL have traded Jack away forever after that. Lucky for us the Pacers decided to hurry up and "solve" the problem in an effort to quiet the fans. Well it got really freaking quiet in Conseco from that point on.

Honestly my hopes are pinned as heavily on Dun as Walsh's hopes are, simply because there doesn't seem to be any other way this team gets better other than he and/or Murph really improving this summer. Dun or bust, like it or not. I certainly could enjoy seeing him play up to his contract if he can actually do it.

Obviously Billy Knight.

Banned

I'd love to see the Hawks pick up Mike Conley with our pick, just for the comedic value of it all.

Seth - are you ever going to stop

Steve Francis, obviously. Or someone from the Magic organization.

Al Harrington

Maybe the ping pong balls will realize he's not on our team, therefore think the trade never happen and the Pacers deserve their 1st round pick back.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

the new pacers gm

honestly, i'm ready for a change at the top

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Seth - are you ever going to stop
    Not while the issue is current still being rubbed in our face. You might tune out the world for this issue, but I'm watching the LAC getting eliminated by the Warriors with a little ticker showing Jackson leading the freaking way. This after seeing just how good the rest of the Pacers were without JO, Tins and Foster. And after just reading Nellie basically calling out Dun and Murph as bench guys getting good starters money. After reading everyone's favorite Army saying the deal hurt them.

It's not like these things were said 2 years ago and the Warriors making the playoffs for the first time in forever is old news. It's happening RIGHT NOW. The only reason you won't see Jackson and Al on national TV in the playoffs is because you will avoid it.

But plenty of other fans will see them, if for no other reason than to watch the #1 team in the NBA play against them.

Give me a reason why that shouldn't be salt in the wound still? This is like getting over the Jax for Rose trade 25 games into 96-97 with the Pacers struggling and Jackson out in Denver leading the NBA in assists. Sorry, it takes just a bit more time than that, especially considering how many fans were marching out to the castle with their torches to make it happen.

You could easily have upgraded on Jackson, he's a mediocre player. My problem is that they didn't even come close to doing that.

At least with Ron he started talking Ron crazy again, kept forcing shots, and this year led the Kings nowhere. Plus he was far more disruptive with the Pacers and selfishly asked to be moved openly. Guy didn't want to be here then I didn't want him here.

When Jack is involved in another fight/brawl/incident and derails the Warriors I'll get over it. Or even if Dunleavy raises the Pacers back to a 48-50 win team. All I need is for things to change in a way that gives me a reason to let it go.

You guys want it let go because it doesn't mesh well with what you wanted to see happen. If you wanted that deal to go through then of course you now want to fast forward over the initial grading period of the deal.

Until then my point of "make sure you're doing things for the right reason" keeps getting hammered home on ESPN and TNT every other night. I'm as sick of seeing it as you are of hearing me say it. But me not bringing it up doesn't make the truth of the matter disappear.

TPHB cost us a top coach, maybe a top PF, a good portion of the fanbase and seemingly several seasons outside of the playoffs.

Sshhhhh, let's not talk about it. If a tree falls in the forest...

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Not while the issue is current still being rubbed in our face. You might tune out the world for this issue, but I'm watching the LAC getting eliminated by the Warriors with a little ticker showing Jackson leading the freaking way. This after seeing just how good the rest of the Pacers were without JO, Tins and Foster. And after just reading Nellie basically calling out Dun and Murph as bench guys getting good starters money. After reading everyone's favorite Army saying the deal hurt them.

It's not like these things were said 2 years ago and the Warriors making the playoffs for the first time in forever is old news. It's happening RIGHT NOW. The only reason you won't see Jackson and Al on national TV in the playoffs is because you will avoid it.

But plenty of other fans will see them, if for no other reason than to watch the #1 team in the NBA play against them.

Give me a reason why that shouldn't be salt in the wound still? This is like getting over the Jax for Rose trade 25 games into 96-97 with the Pacers struggling and Jackson out in Denver leading the NBA in assists. Sorry, it takes just a bit more time than that, especially considering how many fans were marching out to the castle with their torches to make it happen.

You could easily have upgraded on Jackson, he's a mediocre player. My problem is that they didn't even come close to doing that.

At least with Ron he started talking Ron crazy again, kept forcing shots, and this year led the Kings nowhere. Plus he was far more disruptive with the Pacers and selfishly asked to be moved openly. Guy didn't want to be here then I didn't want him here.

When Jack is involved in another fight/brawl/incident and derails the Warriors I'll get over it. Or even if Dunleavy raises the Pacers back to a 48-50 win team. All I need is for things to change in a way that gives me a reason to let it go.

You guys want it let go because it doesn't mesh well with what you wanted to see happen. If you wanted that deal to go through then of course you now want to fast forward over the initial grading period of the deal.

Until then my point of "make sure you're doing things for the right reason" keeps getting hammered home on ESPN and TNT every other night. I'm as sick of seeing it as you are of hearing me say it. But me not bringing it up doesn't make the truth of the matter disappear.

TPHB cost us a top coach, maybe a top PF, a good portion of the fanbase and seemingly several seasons outside of the playoffs.

Sshhhhh, let's not talk about it. If a tree falls in the forest...

Would now be a good time for me to bring up that the Brad Miller for Scot Pollard trade was the dumbest thing that we've done in 20 years???

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Would now be a good time for me to bring up that the Brad Miller for Scot Pollard trade was the dumbest thing that we've done in 20 years???
    Now when we aren't burdened with Brad Miller's horrendous contract as well? Yes.

Pick a player:

Player A:
    FG% season: 45
    FG% career: 44
    3pt FG% season: 31
    3 pt FT% career: 34
    FT % season: 78
    FT % career: 78
    APG season: 2.8
    APG career: 2.7
    RPG season: 5.3
    RPG career: 4.8

Player B:
    FG% season: 43
    FG% career: 42
    3pt FG% season: 32
    3 pt FT% career: 34
    FT % season: 81
    FT% career: 79
    APG season: 3.8
    APG career: 2.6
    RPG season: 2.9
    RPG career: 3.6

Other factors:
    player A makes 15% more in salary.
    Player B fires guns outside of strip clubs.
    Player B is a better one-on-one defender.
    Player B may face jail time and doesn't believe he did anything wrong and wouldn't change a thing.
    Player A tends to take fewer bad shots and plays with higher IQ.

Can we stop blaming a 35 win season on Dunleavy? We have a crappy player. We got him in return for an equally crappy player with WAY WAY WAY more issues.

Since I'm sick and in a bad mood, I'm tempted to go back and find everybody who told me, "We don't need to lottery protect the pick, you ****ing idiot", but I'm too tired. Probably all CPK's, anyway.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I'll be thinking of how wonderful jax2 is on May 10.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

This thread is about draft position.............right?

If by some miracle we get a top 10 pick, don't we keep it?