Thread: More stuff from Simmons

Default More stuff from Simmons

Link
    BIll Simmons page 2 article about LVP's (Least Valuable Player)

I found these entries to be pretty funny. I also found it interesting a writer can get away with putting "F you/this" in his column twice on a website like ESPN's.

287. Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy (tie)
    The lesson, as always: Anytime you're considering a six-player NBA trade in which you end up with both overpaid white guys in the deal ... you might want to rethink that baby.

89. Jermaine O'Neal, Pau Gasol (tie)
    I like both of these guys as players. But when you're making max money, and you're the best guy on your team, you can't keep saying things like "Maybe it's time for me to move on" or "Maybe we'd be better off if I played somewhere else." You signed that contract and accepted the responsibility to be the franchise player on the team. Now that same franchise is struggling -- partly because of your inadequacies, by the way -- and you want to flee the premises like it's a crime scene?
    I write this every year, and I'm writing it again: Just once before I die, I want an NBA owner to hold a news conference that will unfold like this:
    "Thanks to everyone for coming today. I just wanted to quickly address (unhappy superstar making max money)'s comments today. Here's my response: F--- you. I should be the one complaining, not you -- you wanted to be paid like a franchise player when you're clearly not. More than anything else, that's why we suck. Hell will freeze over before I send you to a better team. Repeat: Hell will freeze over. You're stuck here. End of press conference."

Default Re: More stuff from Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Simmons
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    287. Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy (tie)
    The lesson, as always: Anytime you're considering a six-player NBA trade in which you end up with both overpaid white guys in the deal ... you might want to rethink that baby.
    ROFL

Simmons can write whatever he really wants to because he is by far the most popular sports writer that ESPN has. I remember hearing from somewhere that his articles get read like 4x more times then the next closest writer for them.

The Future Is Bright JB's Breakout Year's Avatar

Exactly what I was thinking about JO.

I like a lot of Simmons' stuff, but I'm still holding a grudge when the Colts won the Super Bowl and he didn't say boo, after years of tearing Manning and the Colts down.

Watching C-Webb in Detroit has been like watching the last scene in "The Usual Suspects" for three straight months; all that was missing was Billy King dropping a coffee mug in slow motion.

Two thumbs WAY down for another racist remark about "white guys". I'm beyond sick of that from all directions.

Oh, and I would freakin' loop this video clip somewhere on PD forever if this was how Donnie Walsh ended his final press conference before retiring (not that he ever would):

"Thanks to everyone for coming today. I just wanted to quickly address (unhappy superstar making max money)'s comments today. Here's my response: F--- you. I should be the one complaining, not you -- you wanted to be paid like a franchise player when you're clearly not. More than anything else, that's why we suck. Hell will freeze over before I send you to a better team. Repeat: Hell will freeze over. You're stuck here. End of press conference."

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Oh, and I would freakin' loop this video clip somewhere on PD forever if this was how Donnie Walsh ended his final press conference before retiring (not that he ever would):
    That'd be cool if for no other reason we could refer to it as the time Donnie went PFFL.

Anyway, Simmons got it wrong, we traded away an overpaid white guy too. But then, maybe he doesn't count since he's a Euro.

And Year, Simmons did begrudgingly talk about the Colts after he got called out. About what you'd expect, "Yeah, they did good, but we've still got 3 rings."
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

The Future Is Bright JB's Breakout Year's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    That'd be cool if for no other reason we could refer to it as the time Donnie went PFFL.

Anyway, Simmons got it wrong, we traded away an overpaid white guy too. But then, maybe he doesn't count since he's a Euro.

And Year, Simmons did begrudgingly talk about the Colts after he got called out. About what you'd expect, "Yeah, they did good, but we've still got 3 rings."
    Was it in a mailbag? I saw something like that-seemed like it was about a month and a half after the fact.

Amen. That's such P*SSY B*LL*****!!! ("Maybe I should be traded").
    I"d say "MAN UP JERMAINE"! but I don't think it'd do any good.

Didn't Larry Miller say that about AK?
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No mention on his paragraph about Jack? That thing was a gem.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I still struggle to believe that we took both Dunleavy and Murphy. I still havent accepted that we have BOTH of them on our team. You would think that Walsh and Bird actually watch basketball games.

Quote Originally Posted by JB's Breakout Year View Post
    Was it in a mailbag? I saw something like that-seemed like it was about a month and a half after the fact.
    I think it was in his blog. Since they Sports World'd his site I have a harder time keeping track of such things, but I stumbled upon it the week after the we won.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, no mention that Webber had been recovering from pneumonia or anything....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Two thumbs WAY down for another racist remark about "white guys". I'm beyond sick of that from all directions.
    Remember, it's ok because Simmons is clearly joking. It's meant to be a joke.....

That Simon's article is great!

if ya have time this is a pretty nice little rant which touches on that

http://http://www.warriorsworld.net/content/view/115/2/

Yes. It's about time society realized that it is NOT OK to make these comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Remember, it's ok because Simmons is clearly joking. It's meant to be a joke.....
    I thought it was funny, but if it had been a black person, Simmons would have been fired. I don't really want to get into how reverse racist this world is though.

I like most of his columns (not just because I'm a pats homer) but because they are different then most other articles..and by that I mean they are actually funny.