Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The draft

Default Re: The draft

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is interesting. I do have a hard time believing that somebody as talented as Williams can be such a total bust. McCown really sucks, though.
    Fatty Williams was talented, but he ate away his career in the NFL. He came into the NFL already being a little slow and needing to work on his speed for separation. He gained weight and couldn't get any separation and wasn't a big threat in the red zone or in the slot. He's going to need a ton of hard work in the weight room to ever be a factor in the NFL.

Went to dinner after the Colts first pick, just got back now.

Really, really like the Ugoh move. They're going to need to replace either Glenn (soon) or Diem (probably next year), and Ugoh could be a really good NFL tackle. Predictions that he can only play guard are bunk. I can't wait to see this guy in Howard Mudd's system.

I know we think we need to go defense, but we've gone 85% defense for the last 5 years in the draft, and you have to retool the high-priced offense at some point. This can allow us to start to have a little better salary distribution. Plus, I've seen Ugoh play enough times that I have a bit of a man crush on him, and I usually dislike all players.

Like the Colts draft so far, and this is coming from someone who was demanding defense most of the time.

Losing a pick from the 30-32 range doesn't really matter that much next year. We'll probably have too much money tied up in other players to even afford a first rounder next year, anyway.

Wow we got Daymieon Hughes late 3rd round?!!

He was Pac-10 DPOY!!

And apparently 3rd in the nation in INTs

Come on, Michael Bush with our 2nd pick in the 3rd round!

-- Steve --

I want Pitcock

HAHA YEAH!!!

He was a solid DT at OSU! Colts love there Big 10 guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    Come on, Michael Bush with our 2nd pick in the 3rd round!

-- Steve --
    That would be an excellent pickup. When fully healthy, Michael Bush is a better RB then Addai. He is kind of a mix of Jamal Lewis and Greg Jones.

Looks like the colts took Quinn Pitcock, DT from Ohio State.

I'm liking our picks so far. Bush would have been nice, but we have Addai who's a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    That would be an excellent pickup. When fully healthy, Michael Bush is a better RB then Addai. He is kind of a mix of Jamal Lewis and Greg Jones.

Looks like the colts took Quinn Pitcock, DT from Ohio State.
    I know from what I saw of him he'd push Addai, and to get that value at this point is a big deal. I can't believe he's still there. I'm not getting why he's dropped so far from where his talent would indicate, but Willis McGahee was still a 1st round pick.

Such a confusing process.

Ah well, I wanted Anthony Gonzales, and I got that. Should be happy with that.

-- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    I'm liking our picks so far. Bush would have been nice, but we have Addai who's a beast.
    Yes he is, but what's beyond Addai now? Nothing.

-- Steve --

Yes he is, but what's beyond Addai now? Nothing.

-- Steve --
    The Colts will bring in a guy to push him. we can't use all our 1st day picks on the offensive side. The Colts know what they're doing!

I know from what I saw of him he'd push Addai, and to get that value at this point is a big deal. I can't believe he's still there. I'm not getting why he's dropped so far from where his talent would indicate, but Willis McGahee was still a 1st round pick.

Such a confusing process.

Ah well, I wanted Anthony Gonzales, and I got that. Should be happy with that.

-- Steve --
    Michael Bush broke his leg his senior year and basically sat out the entire season. Then, about a month before the draft he had to get more surgery done on his leg and get a rod inserted inside of it. Nobody doubts his talent, but the injury risk makes him a late 3rd to 4th rounder.

Michael Bush broke his leg his senior year and basically sat out the entire season. Then, about a month before the draft he had to get more surgery done on his leg and get a rod inserted inside of it. Nobody doubts his talent, but the injury risk makes him a late 3rd to 4th rounder.
    I know what happened, but McGahee blew his knee out, just a couple months before the draft. I've seen more guys lose something from a blown knee, rather than a broken leg.

Like I said, just doesn't make much sense.

- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    The Colts will bring in a guy to push him. we can't use all our 1st day picks on the offensive side. The Colts know what they're doing!
    We can bring in guys for depth on defense as well. It's not like that's reserved only for RB's.

Also, in Bush you're talking about a guy that without his injury his Senior year, we would be talking about him and Marshawne Lynch, and debating over who was the 2nd best RB in this draft. I'm afraid I'd take a chance on that late in the 3rd round.

-- Steve --

I know what happened, but McGahee blew his knee out, just a couple months before the draft. I've seen more guys lose something from a blown knee, rather than a broken leg.

Like I said, just doesn't make much sense.

- Steve --
    Ah, I understand what you are saying. McGahee basically got lucky that the Bills were willing to gamble on him so much. If I remember right, McGahee was able to do some of the drills at the combine and that restored some of his value. Many people had McGahee slipping into the second round that year and it came as a shock to everyone that the Bills grabbed him when they already had Travis Henry.

Another guy that comes to mind that had his draft position slip considerably is Frank Gore. Not that Bush will turn into Frank Gore, but it just tells you that injuries at the end of players collegiate careers doesn't necessarily mean they are done or they will be injury prone. I see Bush getting drafted in the 4th tomorrow. I would absolutely love for the Pats to grab Bush tomorrow...assuming they could teach Bush to be a bulldozer type of RB rather then a guy who tries to bounce it to the outside all the time or stutter step behind the line looking for a hole.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Colts had a great draft today:

Anthony Gonzalez: Great slot WR who will step right in right away

Tony Ugoh: This is a selection that will pay dividends next season moreso than the upcoming one. Tarik Glenn has one year left on his deal, and it will be interesting to see whether the Colts will be willing to pay big money for a LT that will be on the decline pretty soon here. I like Tarik, but he can't play at a high level forever. Ugoh has great athletic ability and long arms. The Colts will at least give him a year to bulk up and learn the position behind Glenn. Would you rather have a straight-up rookie protecting Manning's blindside? I know I wouldn't.

Dameion Hughes: Real good Cover 2 system CB. Lacks deep speed, but he's still pretty quick and has excellent coverage skills and is physical. Should challenge Jennings at the nickel.

Quinn Pitcock: Blue collar tough DT with a very thich and muscular build. He's an excellent run stuffer and will be a guy that will see a lot of time in our DT rotation more than likely despite his mediocre pass rushing skills.

Hughes I think is going to be great for us down the line.

The Ugoh deal is horrible. 1st and 4th rounders for a 2nd round 0-lineman? You think we couldn't have gotten a guy next year with the same ability? It's hard to doubt Polian, but this is a horrible move in my opinion.

I like the Gonzo pick. Would have preferred Jarrett. Gonzo's good but he won't ever be great, I think Jarrett has the ability to be TO

Nobody wanted to pay 1st round money, hence no trade. That's why there was such a rush at the beginning of the 2nd.
    Kegboy hit a bulls eye. Absolute Polian move eyeing cap space.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

I think Keyshawn made a good point, people are scared of another Mike Williams.
    Jarrett's supposed to have an outstanding work ethic. Comparing him to Williams just because they went to the same school is an injustice IMO.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ah, I understand what you are saying. McGahee basically got lucky that the Bills were willing to gamble on him so much. If I remember right, McGahee was able to do some of the drills at the combine and that restored some of his value. Many people had McGahee slipping into the second round that year and it came as a shock to everyone that the Bills grabbed him when they already had Travis Henry.
    You also have to look at it this way... The Bills were able to monitor the knee and Willis' rehab, while whatever team picks Bush will be at the mercy of the Louisville staff regarding the rehab and real status of his health.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Colts have no need for a RB. They can pick up someone who can give them 10 carries a game behind Addai without using a draft pick once teams start cutting down rosters in August.

As for Bush - he has what amounts to a new leg and hasn't been able to work out to see if there's anything left from what he used to be (other than one taped at Louisville without anyone watching). If you're a team that needs a RB I think you start looking at him about now. If not, why use a pick on him?

And one wonders why he's coming out now when his stock's as low as it could ever be. If he went back to college another year he might be back in the 1st rd. Of course he might get hurt again but considering where he'll be picked, if he gets hurt early next season he'll end up with nothing anyway.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

The Ugoh deal will only be able to be evaluated a couple years down the line, but the Colts sure seem high on him.

The other three picks all fill a need and look like guys who could be solid contributors, albeit not stars. But that's not required at this point.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    The Ugoh deal will only be able to be evaluated a couple years down the line, but the Colts sure seem high on him.
    If you can get a good to great starting left tackle for a likely late first rounder with out having to pay him first round money then it's an absolute no brainer.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

I'd usually have a million things to complain about at this point, but I've got nothing this year. Really, really like the Colts draft.