Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The draft

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The draft

I'm not at all surprised with this pick. I thought the Colts would trade down, but nothing must have met with Polian's approval. So, taking Gonzales at 32 is fine by me. He was the most consistent receiver for OSU and a dependable target for Troy Smith. There's still many opportunities for the Colts to find good talent later on.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Polian and Dungy seemed pretty happy during the press conference saying that Gonzo was one of the last guys on there board. They said they had 2 guys left, but only Gonzo really fit a need. They were pretty nervous from pick 28 on according to Polian.

When it comes to the Colts and the draft, I'm pretty confident in the moves that we make.

Colts grabbed Ugoh in the second round who is a solid offensive linemen. They really need to address the defensive side of the ball though.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We just picked up Ugoh an offensive tackle.

I just saw that. What did we trade to get him?

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Colts grabbed Ugoh in the second round who is a solid offensive linemen. They really need to address the defensive side of the ball though.
    I agree. I'd say our next pick will be a defensive player....but who really knows.

Well, Miami made up for passing on Quinn by taking Beck. I didn't catch many BYU games but quite a few people touted Beck as the second best QB in this years draft over Quinn. He's a guy to watch if you play fantasy football or if you are a Dolphins fan. There are still a lot of quality players on the board.

Speaking of which, I never really commented on Merriweather. I think he's going to be great for the Pats and he reminds me a lot of Ed Reed. He needs to put on some bulk though...but looks like the Pats have found the apparent heir for Rodney Harrison. What I also like about him is that he can play both safety positions even though he's a bit better of a strong safety. I think the Pats need to grab some LBs and CBs now.

The Colts traded the first of their three 4th round picks (number 126) and their first round pick in 2008 to move up to pick Ugoh. Wow. I'm not a big fan of this deal. I'd assume Ugoh is going to be the future at LT for the Colts as Tarik Glenn begins to move out of his prime.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty View Post
    The Colts traded the first of their three 4th round picks (number 126) and their first round pick in 2008 to move up to pick Ugoh. Wow. I'm not a big fan of this deal. I'd assume Ugoh is going to be the future at LT for the Colts as Tarik Glenn begins to move out of his prime.
    AND our 1st next year? Wow, most likely that'll be a low pick, but man.

I don't know much about Ugoh, but like I said early. I trust Polian and his drafting

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty View Post
    Ugoh will probably play guard in the NFL. That's a steep price to pay for this guy. He's very athletic for a offensive linemen, but he's not that aggressive..which is never a good thing when you play on the offensive or defensive line.

I'm not so sure about giving up a 1st....he better be worth it
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

We had a chance to get Alan Branch and we didn't take him? More Offense wtf... EEERRRR Alan Branch was predicted to go top 10 until he didn't show up fit at the combine and now he slips to 2nd round? We should of took Branch; that's crazy, absolutely utterly crazy. We could of drafted a 2nd or 3rd WR and they would of been just as effective, Gonz is great but he's going to be our 3rd option, branch could of been everyday factor. this is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    We had a chance to get Alan Branch and we didn't take him? More Offense wtf... EEERRRR Alan Branch was predicted to go top 10 until he didn't show up fit at the combine and now he slips to 2nd round? We should of took Branch; that's crazy, absolutely utterly crazy. We could of drafted a 2nd or 3rd WR and they would of been just as effective, Gonz is great but he's going to be our 3rd option, branch could of been everyday factor. this is crazy.
    Predicted top 10 and he slipped to the 2nd round.... that should tell ya something right there. It's not like we're the only team that passed on him. He was definitely a guy I thought we would take, but when he kept falling and we passed on him I figured it was for a reason

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I'm not so sure about giving up a 1st....he better be worth it
    I think Polian doesn't like paying 1st round money to guys who don't deserve it. Better to pay a guy high second round money now than (hopefully) low 1st round money next year.

Somebody made a crack about Keyshawn above, but I've been very impressed with him. He's spoken intelligently about a number of positions and personnel, and he's been thoughtful in his comments as well. In particular, I enjoyed his taking on Mel in the Revis vs. Hall debate, and of course his picking Gonzalez over "his boy" Smith and backing it up with a great analysis.

I know Keyshawn's still got some football left in him, but if I were ESPN I'd sign him up as soon as they can. He's so much better than Michael Irvin was it's ridiculous.

Lastly, as for Gonzalez, once Berman and Kiper said he was a "Chrebet with speed", they had me sold. Geez that man used to kick our ***.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

AND next year's first?!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Gonzales is a good pick - like him better than Ginn myself. Ugoh? Uh - OK.

IMO there's a bigger upset than Quinn dropping and that's Jarrett. Yeah, he isn't that fast but a 6-5 guy who runs great routes and has good hands - and knows how to use his body? I think he'll be a very good possession-type receiver for a long time.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Nobody mentioned this but ......

=====

" The Raiders just traded a fourth-rounder to Detroit to get Mike Williams and Josh McCown. McCown will likely enter training camp as the starting quarterback. As for Williams, maybe a change of scenery will give him a comfort level. New head coach Lane Kiffin was on the USC coaching staff while Williams was a Trojan. The biggest thing for Williams is just dedication. If he can get in shape, he can still salvage his career. So the Raiders got a starting QB (at least for the first half of the season) and a former top-10 pick for a fourth-rounder. Pretty good. - 8:18 pm EDT"

======

Could be a REALLY nice move for the Raiders.

-- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    Gonzales is a good pick - like him better than Ginn myself. Ugoh? Uh - OK.

IMO there's a bigger upset than Quinn dropping and that's Jarrett. Yeah, he isn't that fast but a 6-5 guy who runs great routes and has good hands - and knows how to use his body? I think he'll be a very good possession-type receiver for a long time.
    I think Keyshawn made a good point, people are scared of another Mike Williams.

I really, really don't like our picks. IDK why you don't trade down if you want Gonzalez and get some extra picks. Plus we trade our first rounder next year for Ugoh which is just a poor decision.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

The Colts still have two late third round picks to make yet tonight. I suspect one will be used on a running back.

I don't mind the Gonzo pick, and I don't know uhoh, or ugoh or whatever. I'll just wait and see how things pan out.

Maybe Polian figures that, hell, we've won our SB, lets just draft straight offense for the next five years and become the best offensive team ever to play ever.

But it'd be interesting.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    Nobody mentioned this but ......

=====

" The Raiders just traded a fourth-rounder to Detroit to get Mike Williams and Josh McCown. McCown will likely enter training camp as the starting quarterback. As for Williams, maybe a change of scenery will give him a comfort level. New head coach Lane Kiffin was on the USC coaching staff while Williams was a Trojan. The biggest thing for Williams is just dedication. If he can get in shape, he can still salvage his career. So the Raiders got a starting QB (at least for the first half of the season) and a former top-10 pick for a fourth-rounder. Pretty good. - 8:18 pm EDT"

======

Could be a REALLY nice move for the Raiders.

-- Steve --
    That is interesting. I do have a hard time believing that somebody as talented as Williams can be such a total bust. McCown really sucks, though.

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    I really, really don't like our picks. IDK why you don't trade down if you want Gonzalez and get some extra picks. Plus we trade our first rounder next year for Ugoh which is just a poor decision.
    Nobody wanted to pay 1st round money, hence no trade. That's why there was such a rush at the beginning of the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    That is interesting. I do have a hard time believing that somebody as talented as Williams can be such a total bust. McCown really sucks, though.
    McCown isn't that bad. He had a few nice games in Arizona.