Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The draft

Default The draft

I'm guessing that the majority of the draft will be used on the defensive side again.... which it should be. I'm guessing mostly DT, LB and CB will be addressed again.

I also think the Colts will take a WR to try and fill the slot so Dallas can return to TE.

It'll be interesting to see who's availible when we pick.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The draft

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm guessing that the majority of the draft will be used on the defensive side again.... which it should be. I'm guessing mostly DT, LB and CB will be addressed again.

I also think the Colts will take a WR to try and fill the slot so Dallas can return to TE.

It'll be interesting to see who's availible when we pick.
    I think it will go like this:

DT or LB. I think Justin Harrell will be gone so probably LB here, maybe Lawrence Timmons. But if Harrell is there he's the pick. This guy is tough, he only played in three games last season, one of them with a completely torn bicep muscle. He postponed his surgery by a week to help the Vols win a key rivalry game. That instantly makes him tougher than just about any other Colt. Plus the bang for the buck here could be tremendous. Harrell would have been the top DT in this draft had he not gotten injured and those guys don't make it much past the first 7 or 8 picks. Plus, with no 2nd rounder this year (sent to Tampa for Booger), the Colts really have to hit one out of the park in the 1st round. If they get him at this pick, I'll consider it a good draft.

CB I don't know about. There are only 4 good ones in this draft and all will be off the board before the Colts pick. By the time they pick again, which is twice late in the 3rd round, any CB pick there will be a reach. Sometimes you do grab a guy in that range that pans out much better than anyone expected though so we'll see.

Any WR capable of pushing Dallas Clark back to TE and out of the slot would be a first rounder and there's no way they are going that direction in round 1. Meacham, Ginn, Bowe, Jarrett, and of course Calvin Johnson will all be long gone by the end of the first, leaving only Anthony Gonzales as a dark horse for this slot. With the state of the Run D, if they picked him with Harrell still on the board I'd firebomb Lucas Oil. Dallas is effective at the slot whether he likes it or not and with Fletcher and Utecht respectably holding down the TE spot he may be there a while. Sorry Dallas. Besides with Stoke out of the picture Moorehead or even Standeford could get a shot there. I don't see any way on earth they take even one WR in this draft.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think there a strong possibility we take a RB in the third round or if we trade into the second round to back up Joe.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I think it will go like this:

DT or LB. I think Justin Harrell will be gone so probably LB here, maybe Lawrence Timmons. But if Harrell is there he's the pick. This guy is tough, he only played in three games last season, one of them with a completely torn bicep muscle. He postponed his surgery by a week to help the Vols win a key rivalry game. That instantly makes him tougher than just about any other Colt. Plus the bang for the buck here could be tremendous. Harrell would have been the top DT in this draft had he not gotten injured and those guys don't make it much past the first 7 or 8 picks. Plus, with no 2nd rounder this year (sent to Tampa for Booger), the Colts really have to hit one out of the park in the 1st round. If they get him at this pick, I'll consider it a good draft.

CB I don't know about. There are only 4 good ones in this draft and all will be off the board before the Colts pick. By the time they pick again, which is twice late in the 3rd round, any CB pick there will be a reach. Sometimes you do grab a guy in that range that pans out much better than anyone expected though so we'll see.

Any WR capable of pushing Dallas Clark back to TE and out of the slot would be a first rounder and there's no way they are going that direction in round 1. Meacham, Ginn, Bowe, Jarrett, and of course Calvin Johnson will all be long gone by the end of the first, leaving only Anthony Gonzales as a dark horse for this slot. With the state of the Run D, if they picked him with Harrell still on the board I'd firebomb Lucas Oil. Dallas is effective at the slot whether he likes it or not and with Fletcher and Utecht respectably holding down the TE spot he may be there a while. Sorry Dallas. Besides with Stoke out of the picture Moorehead or even Standeford could get a shot there. I don't see any way on earth they take even one WR in this draft.
    I think Harrell is the pick in the 1st round as well, but I doubt he'll be there. I doubt Timmons will be there either. Not sure who will be availible, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts trade out of that 1st round pick for multiple picks later in the draft.

I think CBs and WRs can be found anywhere in the draft, u just have to find a guy who fits the scheme well, or compliments Marv and Wayne. Not saying that all WRs will pan out like Colston, but all the WR has to do is be durable and able to get open and catch the ball. Maybe Moorehead or Standeford can do that... maybe not. And I like Fletch, but Utecht puts the ball on the ground a lil more then I like.

I'm not sure how the draft will pan out, but I'm sure that the Colts will continue to draft well

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    You do understand the Colts for years have run a lot of 2 TE sets and a lot of no huddle offense. Clark in the slot is there as the 2nd TE and adds lots of flexibility being adept at 2 roles. A true slot WR is another good tool to have, but I really can't see this as a major area of need. If anything I would prefer another TE who can slide out to the slot as a backup/replacement for Clark. With both Sanders and Clark FAs next year something may have to give.

Quote Originally Posted by Shack80 View Post
    You do understand the Colts for years have run a lot of 2 TE sets and a lot of no huddle offense. Clark in the slot is there as the 2nd TE and adds lots of flexibility being adept at 2 roles. A true slot WR is another good tool to have, but I really can't see this as a major area of need. If anything I would prefer another TE who can slide out to the slot as a backup/replacement for Clark. With both Sanders and Clark FAs next year something may have to give.
    Yeah I know, and we still have Utecht and Fletcher as TE as well. Fletcher seems to be coming along nicely, and Dallas has had some injury problems in the past. Stokley went down and Dallas filled the void well, but when Dallas went down as well, we went something like 1-4. The two TE set is nice, but the majority of the time, Dallas was in the slot.

OOPS: The following post was written by pizza guy, on hoopsforlife's computer because pizza gal is on pizza guy's copmuter, and pizza guy forgot to sign HFL out.

CB and LB, then DT. As far as the slot reciever goes, Moorehead is good enough for that. But for the last few years, we've needed upgrades at DT and LB, and now with Harper and David gone, we need at least depth at CB. I love Marlin Jackson, and Kelvin Hayden made the biggest play of his life in the biggest game ever. But I'm not overly confident they can handle it...and if they get hurt, we're screwed. Losing June makes LB a bigger priority, but I do really like Freddy K. Adding Booger last year was our 2nd round pick this year, and well worth it, but we can always use more size on the front line.

As it stands, we've got Freeney, Booger, Brock, and Mathis on the line. Morris, Brackett, and Gardner/Freddy K in the middle. Marlin and Kelvin at the corners (I don't even know who our nickelback would be), and the best safety tandem in the league (IMO).

So, I think you take the best player available at either LB or CB, unless there's a total stud at DT available.

A late round pick can go for a back-up RB.

--pizza

The more I keep hearing about this Justin Harrell (DT, Tennessee) the more I think he won't be around at pick 32. There's really no other DTs who'd be available that'd make sense in the first round, as far as I know.

So I'd prefer a LB or CB. I think a guy like Daymeion Hughes (CB, Cal) would fit perfectly into the Dungy Cover 2. As for LBs, I'd almost consider trading Peyton for a chance to get Patrick Willis (OK not really, but he's a beast).

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsforlife View Post
    OOPS: The following post was written by pizza guy, on hoopsforlife's computer because pizza gal is on pizza guy's copmuter, and pizza guy forgot to sign HFL out.

CB and LB, then DT. As far as the slot reciever goes, Moorehead is good enough for that. But for the last few years, we've needed upgrades at DT and LB, and now with Harper and David gone, we need at least depth at CB. I love Marlin Jackson, and Kelvin Hayden made the biggest play of his life in the biggest game ever. But I'm not overly confident they can handle it...and if they get hurt, we're screwed. Losing June makes LB a bigger priority, but I do really like Freddy K. Adding Booger last year was our 2nd round pick this year, and well worth it, but we can always use more size on the front line.

As it stands, we've got Freeney, Booger, Brock, and Mathis on the line. Morris, Brackett, and Gardner/Freddy K in the middle. Marlin and Kelvin at the corners (I don't even know who our nickelback would be), and the best safety tandem in the league (IMO).

So, I think you take the best player available at either LB or CB, unless there's a total stud at DT available.

A late round pick can go for a back-up RB.

--pizza
    Yeah I think Moorehead could fill in at the slot as well, but I had read somewhere that he was visiting the Vikings? I don't know if anything took place, but there was an article about Moorehead joining Doss in the Vikings.

I think defense is definitely the way to go. CB has become more of a need since the likely loss of David. LB could be an interesting spot as well, don't know who'll be around though. I think DT is still a big need. Simon can kiss my . But another DT to stuff the run and get pressure would be nice, and take pressure off the LB core.

It'll be interesting to see what happens at #30, I'm not sure Harrell will be there either, they'll probably take the best player availible at a need position, or trade it for more picks later.

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Here's a nice, fat draft clue from Peter King's colmun Tuesday:

1. I've gotten lots of questions on the talk-show circuit, from hosts and even a caller, about the contention in Monday Morning Quarterback last week that there are only 18 first-round-quality picks in this year's draft.

Colts GM Bill Polian told me, "I wondered, 'Did I talk to you?' I didn't, but that's exactly how many players we have graded as first-rounders.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...aft/index.html

Polian has said before he hates paying players first round money if they're not first round grades. He traded out of the first round two years ago because of this. If they're sitting at 32, and one of the teams at the top of the 2nd wants to trade up and give up their 3rd rounder to do it, I don't think he would hesitate at all to move down and not pick in the first round again.
    Narf!

I'm excited about the draft this weekend for both fantasy football purposes and to just watch where some guys end up. On top of that, the pats got 2 first round picks this year. I'm hoping we get some help at safety/CB and some help at the LB position in the first.

I expect the Colts to draft a lot of defensive players this year. They need some serious help in the secondary. I guess Polian expects the Colts to try and outscore everyone again. Maybe the Colts run defense will step up, but you guys are going to get torched in the secondary unless you get some quality CBs via the draft or FA/Trading.

The Colts will get torched in the secondary anyway unless Jackson and Hayden are ready. Getting someone who can come in and start right away at CB is pretty tough. IMO the Colts will need to get someone who can play as a nickel back this year and hopefully start within a couple of years but I don't think there's a "have to" with getting a CB in the 1st or 2nd round - IMO the interior line's a bigger deal. And there it is possible to draft someone who can start right away.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    The Colts will get torched in the secondary anyway unless Jackson and Hayden are ready. Getting someone who can come in and start right away at CB is pretty tough. IMO the Colts will need to get someone who can play as a nickel back this year and hopefully start within a couple of years but I don't think there's a "have to" with getting a CB in the 1st or 2nd round - IMO the interior line's a bigger deal. And there it is possible to draft someone who can start right away.
    I think they're counting pretty big on Tim Jennings too.
    Narf!

One huge positive for the Colts is that they play a cover 2 scheme which does not require excellent CBs. The only thing I'd be worried about at this point in time is depth. The Colts have absolutely none in many of the defensive spots. I think the Colts will be fine even if they don't upgrade anyone on their defense. They may not win another SB without some help, but they should still be a 12 win team..even in the AFC.

i wouldnt be shocked if they take sidney rice wideout from south carolina, or jon beason LB from miami

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    I think in a cover 2 defense, your pass rushers are far more important than your corners. You count on your ends forcing enough mistakes on the part of the opposing QB that even average cb's can make a play. People forget that in cover 2, elite talent isn't required at every position. Average will do it for the most part.

I think Jackson will be ready once he gets used to being a CB again instead of safety.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a trade down to early in the 2nd so they can get another pick on day 1. If they do that I could see them going D on the first pick and possibly a WR on the 2nd. If the right guy is there they might take a RB in the 3rd.

Mood

I could get shot for this, but maybe we'll take a TE early...

Honestly...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned View Post
    I could get shot for this, but maybe we'll take a TE early...

Honestly...
    This year's TE class isn't too great. The only guy who will go in the first is Olsen...who isn't even that good. It's difficult to say who the Colts are going to take in the first, but rest assured you guys will draft plenty of defensive players this year. There are a lot of guys to be had in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds that could play on a few downs while they develop into full time starters. And that's exactly what the Colts need. Some young defensive players to develop.

What I'm more interested in in this years draft is where some of the top prospects go. I think Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson are going to be pro-bowlers in the NFL for many years to come. Calvin Johnson may make the pro bowl in his rookie year if he lands in the right place..like Detroit. Going to Detroit would allow him to play along side Roy Williams and play in Mike Martz' system which is all about spreading the field on every down. I really hope he doesn't land in Oakland.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think we'll take an OLB. The Colts let their OLB's walk after 3-4 years, and it would be stupid to invest such a high investment in a position that only lasts such a short duration.

I don't think we'll take a CB. Now, I could be wrong on this one, but you can find Cover 2 system CB's in the third and fourth rounds...and we have a lot of picks in that area.

If Justin Harrell is there, I think he's definately a guy we'll take a long and hard look at. Otherwise, I think we may go WR. Polian has shown that he isn't going to let this offense lose a beat...and this draft could be like the Dallas Clark one where we take an offensive player even though we have some holes. Dwayne Bowe, Dwayne Jarett, Steve Smith could all be guys we look at here. Guys that intrigue me that I think we'll look into are S/CB Brandon Meriweather and FB Brian Leonard. Meriweather can play S and CB and is an impact guy who will add a Bob Sanders mentality in our secondary. Bethea is a real good young safety, but I worry about Sanders health and how in his absence we struggle immensely. Brian Leonard would add a whole new dimension to our offense that we've never seen. He could be the #2 back to Addai, block, and has great hands. He could be our H-back a la Chris Cooley and move Dallas Clark permanently to the TE. We could plug him in a lot of spots. Plus, Utecht only has one year left...and there's a good chance he may be gone after this year, and he's basically our form of the H-back right now.

BRING ON ANOTHER RECEIVER! WHOOOOOOOOOOO!

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But he's the best player in the draft!!!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post

But this one can run down the field while at the same time, catch the football...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

I see the latest Yahoo take mentions either Gonzalez from OSU or Justin Durant from Hampton (LB). I think Gonzalez would make a nice fit if available and we want to go offense that early. WR depth could obviously be increased.

The Durant guy has me intrigued though. Reading some on him, he sounds like the prototype for the Dungy defense. MEAC defensive player in the year 3 straight seasons, crazy motor, tackling machine. I like Keiaho (SP?) a lot what I saw of him, but how confident are you in he, Morris, and Gardner to man the other two LBs with Brackett? I suppose you could call any area on D an area of need at this point though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post

Calvin Johnson is about as can't miss as you can get at WR. He's the biggest can't miss WR since Larry Fitzgerald and I think Calvin will be even better. It would be the Lions mistake to pass on him if he's available.