Thread: Pacers announce 40th anniversary team

Default Pacers announce 40th anniversary team

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/40th_team_070414.html

Indianapolis, April 14, 2007 – Three generations of Pacers players headlined the 40th Anniversary Team announced by the Indiana Pacers and voted on by more than 40,000 fans.

The 40th Anniversary Team will be honored during a special halftime ceremony on Sunday, April 15, when the Pacers host the New Jersey Nets at 3:30 p.m.

Reggie Miller, the franchise's all-time leading scorer who, in 2000, led the Pacers to their only NBA Finals appearance, topped all vote-getters with 31,513 votes. Mel Daniels, the anchor of the teams that won three ABA championships, was second with 22,585 votes, while current Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal finished third with 22,277.

Fans that voted for the 40th Anniversary Team were able to select up to 12 players from a list of 40 players. After voting, fans could choose to enter to win a customized 1967 Chevy Camaro. Fans were also eligible to win an authentic autographed jersey of a current Pacers player and two Lower Level tickets to a game. The customized 1967 Chevy Camaro will be given away on Fan Appreciation Night on April 18 as the Pacers host the Washington Wizards at 8:00 p.m. The 1967 Chevy Camaro represents the first year of the Pacers franchise, as well as the first year that Chevrolet produced the Camaro. The 1967 Chevy Camaro was also the pace car at the 1967 Indianapolis 500.

-------

I'm sorry, but Tony Davis being on this list, let alone ahead of Roger Brown, is an absolute travesty.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers announce 40th anniversary team

I think Roger Brown deserved to be a tad better than 10th on that list....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

woman without a team

Obviously there aren't enough people under the age of 30 who have ever heard of Roger Brown.

I guess the 7 or so times I voted for Jamaal weren't enough to get him on the list...........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

JayOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously there aren't enough people under the age of 30 who have ever heard of Roger Brown.
    ...yet there are 22,000+ who remember Mel Daniels?

The dude is below Antonio Davis on this list. Come on.....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Interesting...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

It would be interesting to see the vote totals for those who did not make the cut.

It seems too many people don't remember more of the ABA guys. Where are Neto and Freddie? Where is Darnell?

And where is Chuck "The Rifleman" Person?

I'm sure there are others that I can't think of right now that deserve inclusion above some that made the grade.

Banned

I voted the hell out of it for Neto. I mean AD on the list, come on.

I'm going to simply to read Jay's reaction. This ought to be good....

May as well dig the knife in a little deeper....

Clark Kellogg>Chuck person.

Billy Keller>Chuck Person

I like Clark Kellogg as much as anyone. But Chuck person meant more to the franchise than Clark ever did. Did Clark ever get the Pacers to the playoffs. Did Clark ever single handily win a playoff game

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

All in all, it is just another stupid fan pole. I'm sure the results would have been much different if you had more of a control on who voted, then again....a lot of people had a lot of issues with the NBA's top 50 and that wasn't determined by worthless fan voting.

I honestly think asking the fan base to vote is a personal slap in the face to the legends that played for this team in the past. I will honestly feel bad for Chuck tommorrow when this is going on because I just don't see how the fan base can forget about him, yet have Clark Kellogg in. I love Clark Kellogg the analyst, but I can see where most got the analyst confused with Clark the player. I'm honestly too young to know what Clark did as a player outside of statistics, but I do know that he only played 3 complete seasons due to injury.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

woman without a team

Let's think about the people on the list for a minute:

1. Everyone older than 5 knows who he is and (with the exception of about 5 people on the planet) they all love him.
    2. Works for the Pacers.
    3. Plays for the Pacers.
    4. Smits happens.
    5. Does those lottery commericals.
    7. Reggie's best friend next to Vern.
    8. Works for the Pacers.
    9. Obviously Kendra has an auto mouse.
    10. Sadly no longer with us.
    11. Obviously the vote was taken before we traded Al again.
    12. Works for the Pacers.

I'm not saying this is what the team should be. Any time you let the public vote there's going to be trouble. Anyone who watches American Idol or Dancing With The Stars knows this.

Can they not read, either? His freakin' banner's only 2 stories tall.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

The only reason Clark doesn't belong is because he was injured. Maybe Scott Haskins or Jon Bender should have made it also. Because if it weren't for their injuries they would be leading the current Pacers to 60 wins.

damn.. no chuck person? that's ROUGH!

I've pretty much stayed quiet on the issue out of respect to Jay for so many years.

However I have just never "got" the hate for Kellogg.

Ok, I was old enough to see Clark play in the prime of his game (as was Jay) but I just saw it differantly.

If Clark had not gone down with bad knee's I think he would have been one of the greatest Pacers of all-time.

J.O. avg. 20 - 10 and many on here consider him a MVP cadidate.

Kellogg avg. that as a rookie and he doesn't deserve a mention?

Sorry U.B. but your Bender and Haskins comparisons just don't work here. Did either of them avg. 10 ppg game a season let alone 20?

For three years Kellogg put up 20- 10, 19 - 9, 18 - 9. Then he blew out his knee. Sadly this was back in the day when a knee injury was pretty much career ending.

I'm not saying he should be on there above Chuck Person, but I am saying this guy wasn't a joke.

As to Roger Brown's position? He should be up there behind Reggie or maybe behind Mel.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Then how did Keller and Knight do so well? Roger should have crushed them in voting.

Kellogg I would put on BEFORE Tony, and I loved Tony.

Knight and Keller are both more popular than their actual impacts IMO. Kellogg as Peck said got the job done in the few seasons he got to play, darn shame to lose him (and Stipo).

I recall Clark being challenged by the coach to get 20 rebounds. The coach would buy him a steak if he did it. Sure enough he went out that night and pulled in 20 (22 maybe?).

Chuck and DETLEF too, 2 time 6th man winner. Look, I realize the Pacers have a long list of NBA award winners, and when I say long I mean almost none, but shouldn't a guy who was more productive all-around than Reggie make this list? He was a PACERS All-Star (I think 2nd after Reggie to make the NBA AS team) as well.

I know he wasn't here a long time, but long enough to move into stardom after coming over from the Mavs.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    I guess the 7 or so times I voted for Jamaal weren't enough to get him on the list...........
    Fell out of chair ... rolled on floor!
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Knight did average 20 some points a game. Keller ,on the otherhand, is a local legend but not really for his Pacer play. He played at Purdue, was 1965's Indiana Mr. Basketball, he hosts local basketball camps at Butler.

So basically, He was a local high school star and he hosts basketball camps that probably 50% of the voters attended. From what I hear, at his camp the first thing he does is make a half court shot then welcomes you to the camp. That alone would sway the vote of most 10 year boys.

Clark was good but there are few guys who played a little longer. Clark got on because people know him. He's on ESPN, Pacer games and has an aura of a legend surrounding him.

OK-OK I'm showing my "name" but Netolicky and Lewis should have made the team. Daniels deserves his position. Brown should have been a lot higher. Keller, I'm sure is thrilled. All in all though it was a pretty good list. We've had some pretty good players take the court here.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

What a trav-sham-mockery of basketball knowledge.

Smits ahead of Big Mac? Are you kidding me!?!?

Why was Antonio Davis even on the ballot?

Billy Keller ahead of Roger Brown?? That's wacked-out.

I'm sure that Vancouver fans would vote for Shareef Adbur-Rahim as the greatest Grizzly of all time, too. Somebody had to lead the team in points and rebounds. I understand why Clark is so popular today. He's articulate about the game of college basketball. Which is ironic, since he didn't win very many college games, either. That's my sole point of contetion with him - it wasn't that he couldn't play - he himself was the ultimate "stat sheet stuffer". He just couldn't lead either his college team nor his professional team to very many victories. And its not like his college team had no talent, it had Herb Williams on it. Oh wait... That combo didn't work in the Big Ten, why the hell would anybody expect them to win in the NBA?

Chuck's stats - especially rebounding - were less that Clark's. But Chuck took Clark's 20-win team, along with Dr. Jack - and got them to 0.500 and single handedly won a playoff game against Dominique Wilkins in his prime when Chuck was a rookie. And he single-handely won two playoff games in 1991 against Larry Bird. Granted, Chuck didn't play particuarly well in the 1990 or 1992 playoffs, and that's why the team was swept those years. But even those teams made the playoffs, Clark's team never left the cellar and that's actually impressive considering Ted Stepian's Cavaliers were trying hard to get to the cellar and we were trying hard to not be in the cellar.

That's my sole problem with Clark. He was nothing more than a stat-sheet stuffer on the worst team in the league. Chuck single-handedly delivered the first three NBA playoff wins in franchise history. I was a fan of Clark's while he was playing - I have much stronger opinions on the evil-ness of Herb Williams but I think everyone else that watched those days agrees with that. But after Chuck came along, I realized the distinction between a stat-sheet stuffer of a twenty-win team and a guy that could score and lead a team to the playoffs.

But I understand - Chuck was made the scapegoat from the press for why the 1991 team never elevated its game in 1992. Two years of Dick Versace telling him, "You can only shoot three pointers and nothing else" destroyed both Chuck's game and his reputation (and whatever credibilty Mr. Versace had.)

Jay's 12-man team:

Reggie
    Rahjah
    Mel
    JO
    Big Mac

Those five are obvious, though.

My next seven:
    Mark Jackson
    Billy Knight
    Rifleman
    Neto
    Don Buse
    Smits
    McKey (just kidding, you can put Dale Davis here if you want.)

Honorable mention: Vern Fleming.

(PS, I did vote for Tinsley at least three times, so he must've had ten votes total.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Tony Davis? Hopefully they aren't playing any other team's 40th Anniversary team in the playoffs.........

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    Tony Davis? Hopefully they aren't playing any other team's 40th Anniversary team in the playoffs.........
    Might be tough if they play Toronto. He'd be on their all-time team as well...