Thread: Pacman Jones suspended for the season; Chris Henry suspended 8 games

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacman Jones suspended for the season; Chris Henry suspended 8 games

Wow. Pacman got Artested.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2832015

Goodell suspends Pacman, Henry for arrests

ESPN.com news services

Adam "Pacman" Jones of Tennessee was suspended Tuesday for the 2007 NFL season and Chris Henry of Cincinnati received an eight-game suspension -- both for numerous violations of the NFL's personal conduct policy.

The two players are suspended without pay, the NFL announced. Jones will lose $1,292,500 -- his 2007 base salary -- as a result of the suspension. Henry will lose $204,705.88 in salary if the Bengals' bye week comes after Week 8. He will lose $230,294.12 if the Bengals' bye week falls in the first eight weeks of the season, meaning he will miss nine weeks of pay.
    After they serve their suspensions, each player must apply for reinstatement.

"We must protect the integrity of the NFL," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "The highest standards of conduct must be met by everyone in the NFL because it is a privilege to represent the NFL, not a right. These players, and all members of our league, have to make the right choices and decisions in their conduct on a consistent basis."

In a letter to each player, Goodell wrote: "Your conduct has brought embarrassment and ridicule upon yourself, your club, and the NFL, and has damaged the reputation of players throughout the league. You have put in jeopardy an otherwise promising NFL career, and have risked both your own safety and the safety of others through your off-field actions. In each of these respects, you have engaged in conduct detrimental to the NFL and failed to live up to the standards expected of NFL players. Taken as a whole, this conduct warrants significant sanction."

Jones' off-field conduct has included 10 incidents where he was interviewed by police. The most recent took place in Las Vegas during the NBA All-Star weekend. Las Vegas police have recommended felony and misdemeanor charges against Jones after a fight and shooting at a strip club that paralyzed one man.

Henry was arrested four times in a 14-month span, resulting in two benchings by coach Marvin Lewis and a two-game league suspension. He was one of nine Bengals arrested in nine months.

Both the Titans and the Bengals said they supported the suspensions.
    "While we regret the circumstances that called for it, it's good for both Chris and the Bengals to have the matter resolved," said Bengals coach Marvin Lewis. "Our team will move forward, and now it is up to Chris to acquire a more mature understanding of his responsibilities as a player for the Bengals and a representative of the NFL."

The Titans released the following statement:

"We appreciate the Commissioner's thoughtful decision today and the discipline plan imposed on Adam Jones," the Titans said. "We respect this decision and are confident this is in the best interest of the league and the team. We are hopeful that it will achieve the goals of disciplining the player and eventually enabling him to return to the field of play. Our goals for Jones are consistent with the league's in that regard."

Jones' suspension carries the following conditions:

? He must have no more run-ins with law enforcement.

? He must comply with all required counseling, education, and treatment assigned by the NFL or the judicial system.

? He must obey the restrictions that have been agreed to by he and the Titans.

? He may not be at the Titans' facility through May 31 and may not participate in any practices or workouts during his suspension. Starting June

1, he must visit the team facility once per week to meet with the team's player development director. Also, beginning June 1, he is permitted to spend one day a week at the team facility for conditioning, film study, and other activities.

? In conjunction with the Titans, Jones must develop a structured program of community service or other activity. This program must be submitted to the NFL for approval.

Henry will be reinstated after the Bengals' eighth regular-season game if he meets the following conditions:

? He must have no more run-ins with law enforcement.

? He must comply with all required counseling, education, and treatment assigned by the NFL or the judicial system.

? He is allowed to be at the Bengals' facilities during the rest of the offseason and he must meet weekly with the team's player development director.

? If he fully complies with all conditions, he may participate in the training camp and Bengals preseason games.

? During the 2007 season, he must meet weekly with the team's player development director, but he may not attend or participate in practice.

? He must fully comply with all conditions imposed on him by any court, including requirements of community service.

If Jones and Henry do not fully comply with these conditions, they could be permanently banished from the NFL.

"I must emphasize to you that this is your last opportunity to salvage your NFL career," Goodell wrote to the players. "I urge you to take full advantage of the resources available to support you in that effort."

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacman Jones suspended for the season; Chris Henry suspended 8 games

Good.

Default Re: Pacman Jones suspended for the season; Chris Henry suspended 8 games

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good.
    Tragic is more appropriate. I'm glad Goodell laid down the law because he needed to and I think these suspensions are definitely just right..however, it sucks when you have players as talented as Pacman and Henry make so many mistakes off the field. I want to see these guys on the field on Sunday making an impact there. Fortunately, they are young and their careers aren't ruined yet, but I really hope both of these guys turn it around. They are too talented to let this happen to them. Just ask Onterrio "Whizkid" Smith about it.

I see where he is going to appeal

I suppose he should. Why should his penalty be any stiffer than any other player with 50, um, indiscretions? Besides, if you listen to him, they weren't his fault. A tune worthy of a jail cell.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

If anyone should appeal, it should be Chris Henry. He's getting sort of shafted with his suspension now that I think about it. He already was suspended last year for what he did regarding the DUI and distribution of alcohol to minors (which was dismissed anyways) and he is getting 8 games this year because of what happened regarding him driving with a suspended license.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    If anyone should appeal, it should be Chris Henry. He's getting sort of shafted with his suspension now that I think about it. He already was suspended last year for what he did regarding the DUI and distribution of alcohol to minors (which was dismissed anyways) and he is getting 8 games this year because of what happened regarding him driving with a suspended license.
    First let me say that his distribution to minors wasn't dismissed.

Offenses always accumulate, and make you get a stiffer penalty. It's like that with substance abuse, and should be like that with off-field problems as well. Just because you take your suspension from one incident and another pops up, the first should be looked at again. It shows a pattern of getting in trouble.

His slate shouldn't be swiped clean after every time he's punished.

Chris has also had more incidents than two, which you listed:
    - On December 15, 2005 he was pulled over in Northern Kentucky for speeding and marijuana was found in his shoes. He was also driving without a valid driver's license, and without auto insurance.

- On January 30, 2006, he was arrested in Orlando for multiple gun charges including concealment and aggravated assault with a firearm.

- On June 3, 2006 Chris Henry was pulled over outside on Interstate 275 at 1:18 a.m by Ohio Highway Trooper Michael Shimko. At 2:06 a.m. Henry voluntarily submitted to a breathalyzer test at Milford Police Department and registered a .092 blood-alcohol level, .012 above the level permitted by Ohio law

- On January 25, 2007, Henry pleaded guilty to charges of providing alcohol to minors, an incident that occurred at a hotel in the spring on 2006.

- It wasn't an actual incident, but he was benched by the Bengals and then suspended by the league for being a passenger in the vehicle of a teammate who was arrested/charged for a DUI, for violating the league's personal conduct and substance abuse policies. That occured Sept 25, 2006.

For those keeping count, that's five offenses since Dec. '05.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Henry#Controversy

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    First let me say that his distribution to minors wasn't dismissed.

Offenses always accumulate, and make you get a stiffer penalty. It's like that with substance abuse, and should be like that with off-field problems as well. Just because you take your suspension from one incident and another pops up, the first should be looked at again. It shows a pattern of getting in trouble.

His slate shouldn't be swiped clean after every time he's punished.

Chris has also had more incidents than two, which you listed:
    - On December 15, 2005 he was pulled over in Northern Kentucky for speeding and marijuana was found in his shoes. He was also driving without a valid driver's license, and without auto insurance.

- On January 30, 2006, he was arrested in Orlando for multiple gun charges including concealment and aggravated assault with a firearm.

- On June 3, 2006 Chris Henry was pulled over outside on Interstate 275 at 1:18 a.m by Ohio Highway Trooper Michael Shimko. At 2:06 a.m. Henry voluntarily submitted to a breathalyzer test at Milford Police Department and registered a .092 blood-alcohol level, .012 above the level permitted by Ohio law

- On January 25, 2007, Henry pleaded guilty to charges of providing alcohol to minors, an incident that occurred at a hotel in the spring on 2006.

- It wasn't an actual incident, but he was benched by the Bengals and then suspended by the league for being a passenger in the vehicle of a teammate who was arrested/charged for a DUI, for violating the league's personal conduct and substance abuse policies. That occured Sept 25, 2006.

For those keeping count, that's five offenses since Dec. '05.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Henry#Controversy
    Wasn't he suspended each time one of those things happened though? I remember him being suspended by the team and the NFL before.

NFL rules - Get convicted of a crime go to jail for a few months. Get half a season.

Get accused of crimes dont get convicted of any of them and never spend any time in jail, get suspended for the season.

So kids what you need to do so you dont get punished by your bosses is when you make a mistake go to jail that way your punishment will be less harsh.

Roger Goodell is one dumb son of a *****.

Mood

So Pacman had no record before this incident, and it makes no sense to punish a repeat offender/troublemaker?

I didnt say he shouldnt have been punished. If he got the same amount of games as Henry or Tank Johnson or whatever the hell his name is, I would have been fine with it. Getting double the games that Henry and Tank got was just stupid.

So if a player gets convicted for raping a women, and another player gets in trouble 10 times but never goes to jail. Does the guy that went to jail look better in the eyes of the NFL commissioner?

Yes, because rape and a gun possession charge are on the same level.....

I seriously doubt someone convicted of rape would be playing in the NFL, not only because they'd be in jail for 5+yrs but also because they'd be banned.

I wont even waste my time arguing with you, you should just skedaddle.

I'll "skedaddle" when you start comparing relative charges, instead of gun possession charges to rape. If you're that blind to the difference, then that's on you.

I have just as much right to post my thoughts on this board, as you do, so I'll post what I want, when I want.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've heard that the bouncer that was shot in Vegas won't have his paralysis go into effect until after all the court cases. So I guess if Pacman and his crew are found innocent by a judge and jury, then the guy will walk again...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned View Post
    I've heard that the bouncer that was shot in Vegas won't have his paralysis go into effect until after all the court cases. So I guess if Pacman and his crew are found innocent by a judge and jury, then the guy will walk again...
    Say word?

And you was right there with Pacman and Nelly and you know everything that went down.

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Current headline on SI.com:

"Police are seeking Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones for questioning about a shooting early Monday morning involving members of his entourage after a fight at an Atlanta strip club."

The more things change....

Also, I leave for Atlanta on Wednesday. Tell me which club I need to avoid.
    Narf!

In all fairness the police are saying that Pacman wasn't present at the time of the shooting, just that he would know everyone involved that were part of his entourage.

But still, it just goes to show that he needs to clean his own house before he can move on.

When I posted that, it was just a headline with no article.

But really, the only reason I posted it was to see what club I should be avoiding.
    Narf!

In all fairness the police are saying that Pacman wasn't present at the time of the shooting, just that he would know everyone involved that were part of his entourage.

But still, it just goes to show that he needs to clean his own house before he can move on.
    http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....29/1002/SPORTS

Now police have confirmed Pacman was at the club and allegedly threatened to kill someone and may have been in the car that opened fire.......
    Last edited by Robobtowncolt; 06-20-2007 at 12:42 PM.
    Narf!

This guy is a jaywalking citation away from being banned for life. I don't see how the Titans could EVER take this guy back. I wonder if he likes Edmonton.

I think he is worse than the combination of Artest, Tinsley and Jackson.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Jeff Fisher has already publicly said that Pacman is no longer the Titans' problem. He'll never play in Tenn. again.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Jeff Fisher has already publicly said that Pacman is no longer the Titans' problem. He'll never play in Tenn. again.
    Good move.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

What a complete moron. I really don't know how these guys do this. They have been given such a great opportunity and they waste their god given talent rotting in jail or suspended for off the field incidents.