Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Darrel Reid Charged with possession

  1. #1
    Member Moses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    3,565

    Default Darrel Reid Charged with possession

    Colts DT Darrell Reid was charged with possession of marijuana after being stopped by police in Freehold, New Jersey on Saturday night.
    Police received an anonymous phone call reporting an intoxicated person on the streets and pulled Reid over. They noticed a small baggie of marijuana in Reid's car. Reid was charged with misdemeanor suspicion of possession and obstruction of a dangerous substance in a vehicle.
    -Rotoworld
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=3493

    Maybe he's been hanging out with the Pacers in the off season?

  2. #2
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,029

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Darrel Reid Charged with possession

    The Colts have never been Saints. hehe. BUt seriously there is a graphic in either ESPN the Mag of the SI for this month that shows that both the Colts and Pacers are top ten in the most arrests category. The Colts just won a championship.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  3. #3
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,822

    Default Re: Darrel Reid Charged with possession

    What???


    Do you mean the Colts players aren't perfect. I thought they were - all I heard for weeks is that the Colts are perfect.

    Of course no one really cares. The news has buried it.

    If this same exact thing had happened to let say Rawle Marshall - it would have led every newscast and fans would be in an uproar

  4. #4
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Darrel Reid Charged with possession

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What???


    Do you mean the Colts players aren't perfect. I thought they were - all I heard for weeks is that the Colts are perfect.

    Of course no one really cares. The news has buried it.

    If this same exact thing had happened to let say Rawle Marshall - it would have led every newscast and fans would be in an uproar
    Who the hell ever said the Colts are perfect? Off the top of my head I can name the following less than perfect Colts: Tony Saragoosa, Jack Trudeau, Jim Harbaugh, Mustafah Muhammad, Dominic Rhodes. I'm sure I could come up with more if I really tried. Yes I realize none of them are on the team now, but all of them (except Harbaugh) were when they fell off the straight and narrow.

  5. #5
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,822

    Default Re: Darrel Reid Charged with possession

    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who the hell ever said the Colts are perfect? Off the top of my head I can name the following less than perfect Colts: Tony Saragoosa, Jack Trudeau, Jim Harbaugh, Mustafah Muhammad, Dominic Rhodes. I'm sure I could come up with more if I really tried. Yes I realize none of them are on the team now, but all of them (except Harbaugh) were when they fell off the straight and narrow.
    All I heard for about 3 weeks right after the Super Bowl was how the Colts made the city proud - not because they won the Super Bowl - but because the players all had such high character - of course in sharp contract to the Pacers.

    I heard that exact thing or a close version a hundred times. The point wasn't even debated

  6. #6
    Member Moses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    3,565

    Default Re: Darrel Reid Charged with possession

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All I heard for about 3 weeks right after the Super Bowl was how the Colts made the city proud - not because they won the Super Bowl - but because the players all had such high character - of course in sharp contract to the Pacers.

    I heard that exact thing or a close version a hundred times. The point wasn't even debated
    I agree with you UB.

    The media and everyone pretty much inferred that the Colts were the classy team of Indy. Not that Dom Rhodes or this 3rd string DL have really tarnished the Colts image, but it does let you know that the Pacers have taken quite a bit of BS over the past few years.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Darrel Reid Charged with possession

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What???


    Do you mean the Colts players aren't perfect. I thought they were - all I heard for weeks is that the Colts are perfect.

    Of course no one really cares. The news has buried it.

    If this same exact thing had happened to let say Rawle Marshall - it would have led every newscast and fans would be in an uproar
    UB, I'd like to present you with a gift. It's your own very special .

  8. #8
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,598

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Darrel Reid Charged with possession

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    UB, I'd like to present you with a gift. It's your own very special .
    Exactly.

    The Colts are going to get more slack because they just won the damn Super Bowl. And the core group of players are likable and represent this city well.

    The Pacers will take more **** from this city, because they've been mediocre for the past 2 years, had some guy named Ron Artest on their team, Stephen Jackson and still have a guy named Jamaal Tinsely helping create that image of the Pacers even more lovable.

    They're also 9 games or so under .500 and aren't even in the damn playoffs in the East right now.

    So, yeah, the Colts are going to get some slack. It's not really fair, but Unclebuck you act like they'res no reason for the Pacers to get more **** and things be made more of a big deal when it's involving the Pacers. I mean the Pacers were only involved heavily in one of the ugliest sporting incidents in the past decade just about what was it 3 years ago now?

  9. #9
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,992

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Darrel Reid Charged with possession

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What???


    Do you mean the Colts players aren't perfect. I thought they were - all I heard for weeks is that the Colts are perfect.

    Of course no one really cares. The news has buried it.

    If this same exact thing had happened to let say Rawle Marshall - it would have led every newscast and fans would be in an uproar

    There's only one thing outside of winning a championship that explains the Colts being portrayed in a positive manner while the Pacers are perceived in a negative one.

    That is the Colts most recognizable faces are squeaky clean, while the Pacers most recognizable faces have ruined the image of the franchise for the past couple of years.

    The image of the Colts starts and ends with Manning, Dungy, and Harrison. The whole reputation of the Colts being "class" is built upon how those 3 guys supposedly conduct themselves.

    OK, so Rhodes was arrested for a DUI. That means nothing to how the Colts are a whole are perceived. Rhodes, while a major contributor to the Superbowl run, was never one of the top recognizable faces on the Colts. It would take something happening to Manning, Dungy, or Harrison for the Colts clean image to be tarnished.

    The image of the Pacers on the other hand has suffered because of the actions of some of their most recognizable players: O'Neal, Artest, Tinsley, and Jax. Outside of the brawl, O'Neal has conducted himself extremely well. But the night will always be there.

    All of those guys are Starters, easily recognizable to anyone in the area that follows the Pacers. When guys who are supposedly your best and most recognizable faces get in trouble, it tarnishes the image of the franchise.

    So if Rawle Marshall was arrested for drugs, would the media care? Probably so, but only because of the actions of the 4 players who I mentioned above(I know other Pacers have been involved in incidents, but those are the 4 most recognizable faces). If the brawl hadn't happened, if Club Rio hadn't happened, or if the latest incident involving Tins and Daniels hadn't happened, then I doubt anyone would care.

    Do you think if Mark Pope had been caught with drugs in the late 90's that anyone would have cared? Probably not. That's because the core faces of the Pacers in that time period were perceived as class, and it would have been viewed as an isolated incident.

    A team's image starts and ends with the faces who are most recognizable to the common fan. The guys who represent that for the Colts have been perfect. The easily recognizable faces for the Pacers have ruined the team image.

    It's really as simple as that.

  10. #10
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default Re: Darrel Reid Charged with possession

    The revisionist history from the previous 3 posters makes me sick to my stomach.
    If you haven't seen the Brawl then stop judging on what ESPN writes or says.

    What (outside of his participation in the brawl where he did not leave the court) has that guy (JO)ever done that involved police?
    Get his stepfather into hospital, go to church, take out a highschoolkid to her prom? or is it the countless other things he does for local and national charities?

    Also to make the Colts a 3 man "face" versus a 15 man roster is so ridiculous that it would be the same as saying whatever guys like Tinsley, Jax, Quis, Artest do or did is not important, only JO counts (in fact he should not even count fully in the comparison, seeing the 2 players 1 coach you pick, easily forgetting the owner's past) 2 out of how many players are you trying to sell me here? Yet you count 20% of all the Pacers players, nice one.

    UB is 100% right, had this been Rawle Marshall or Maceo Baston or David Harrisson, it would have been frontpage ESPN and frontpage on every Indy website/newspaper.

    when the length of the yardstick differs, measurement goes to hell.

    BTW NO Pacers players were as yet found guilty of anything, where as 1 Colts player is already sentenced for DUI & speeding (far more dangerous then either Rio (outside of Jax shooting) and the "so-called fight" at 8 seconds) and another one was arrested with dope on him.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  11. #11
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Darrel Reid Charged with possession

    If you think I, or most Indy fans, react differently when this kind of crap comes from a Colts player vs a Pacers player you are wrong. This who situation is getting extremely old. The stupidity of guys with "short" careers is mind-boggling.

    I have said many times it's all in the perception. The perception is the Colts conduct themselves better and represent the city better than the current Pacers. However you want to spin it - it's just a fact. But don't worry, the Colts seem to be bent on erasing that perception.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,331

    Default Re: Darrel Reid Charged with possession

    Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you think I, or most Indy fans, react differently when this kind of crap comes from a Colts player vs a Pacers player you are wrong. This who situation is getting extremely old. The stupidity of guys with "short" careers is mind-boggling.

    I have said many times it's all in the perception. The perception is the Colts conduct themselves better and represent the city better than the current Pacers. However you want to spin it - it's just a fact. But don't worry, the Colts seem to be bent on erasing that perception.
    Pretty good summary ABA, however I disagree the Colts are trying to erase the perception. Notice how Reid was not re-signed or even offered a contract after the season.

    The Colts are far from perrfect, but what I don't understand is the individuals who get enjoyment from the Colts have blemishes. Hopefully the Colts will have more players mess up so it will make someone's day.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  13. #13
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Darrel Reid Charged with possession

    I think Adam said it best. The Colts look clean because their faces are Dungy, Manning, and Harrison. With the Pacers, yes there's JO, but even he is on film punching a guy on his knees, and looking past that you still have Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson, and Jamaal Tinsley.

  14. #14
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Darrel Reid Charged with possession

    The difference between the Colts and the Pacers is that if something happens with one of the Colts I know Tony Dungy is going to do something to make sure it doesn't happen again. On the other hand when something happens with the basketball team management just looks at each other and says "You take care of it." In other words nothing gets done until the Pacers have transformed into Trailblazers East and no one is going to games. "Bringing back the pride"

  15. #15
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,992

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Darrel Reid Charged with possession

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The revisionist history from the previous 3 posters makes me sick to my stomach.
    If you haven't seen the Brawl then stop judging on what ESPN writes or says.

    What (outside of his participation in the brawl where he did not leave the court) has that guy (JO)ever done that involved police?
    Get his stepfather into hospital, go to church, take out a highschoolkid to her prom? or is it the countless other things he does for local and national charities?

    Also to make the Colts a 3 man "face" versus a 15 man roster is so ridiculous that it would be the same as saying whatever guys like Tinsley, Jax, Quis, Artest do or did is not important, only JO counts (in fact he should not even count fully in the comparison, seeing the 2 players 1 coach you pick, easily forgetting the owner's past) 2 out of how many players are you trying to sell me here? Yet you count 20% of all the Pacers players, nice one.

    UB is 100% right, had this been Rawle Marshall or Maceo Baston or David Harrisson, it would have been frontpage ESPN and frontpage on every Indy website/newspaper.

    when the length of the yardstick differs, measurement goes to hell.

    BTW NO Pacers players were as yet found guilty of anything, where as 1 Colts player is already sentenced for DUI & speeding (far more dangerous then either Rio (outside of Jax shooting) and the "so-called fight" at 8 seconds) and another one was arrested with dope on him.

    I never said that I agreed with the reasoning behind the point I made. I'm just trying to explain the paradox as to why the Colts are perceived in a more positive manner than the Pacers. I'm 99% sure that the reasons the Colts have a good image is because the guys who are recognizable to the common fan have an untarnished record, while the guys who have been the most recognizable for the Pacers have been involved in numerous incidents.

    And I think that it is very justifiable for me to use Tony Dungy in explaining this. Dungy is viewed as a class act, and is beloved by the media and local fanbase. He comes off as easily approachable and likable during press conferences. The perception of the Colts as "class" starts with him.

    I think another thing that makes a difference is that people see NBA players faces on the court. They are up close to them when they go to the games. In NFL games, the players are shielded by helmets, and their is little interaction between players and the fans.

    I'm not trying to sell you anything hear by just listing a couple of players. Most people wouldn't be able to pick the majority of the Colts out of a lineup. Why? Because they are shielded behind helmets all game. People do however know what Manning and Harrison look like, so since they are familiar faces they automatically put a mold of "class" on the rest of the organization since most people couldn't pick the majority of the players out of a police lineup.

    It's not like the NBA with a 12 man roster where you know exactly what players look like. These are massive rosters, and only a couple of players are immediately recognizable to fans by their faces, thus they put the stamp on the overall franchise.

    How many people would know Darrel Reid if they walked by him on an Indianapolis street? Not many. Most people could identify JO, Tinsley, Jax, or Artest. That doesn't play into the Pacers favor. I bet when people hear about Darrel Reid getting into trouble, most would think "he's a nobody", whether he is a good player or not. That's not the case with the Pacers players who have been involved in incidents. They are easily recognizable to fans.

  16. #16
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,252

    Default Re: Darrel Reid Charged with possession

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People do however know what Manning and Harrison look like, so since they are familiar faces they automatically put a mold of "class" on the rest of the organization since most people couldn't pick the majority of the players out of a police lineup.
    Let's get with the Indy po po and arrange something... I think this should be an easy test. They should have plenty mugshots to use and it seems the players are there enough we could do a real live lineup too!

    ---
    By the way.... Being serious.... The reason the perception exists is because of differences at the core plus the way management handles the transgressions. Off the top of my head it seems you MIGHT get a 2nd chance with the Colts but you don't get a 3rd chance if you screw up. And the 1st screw up puts you on thin ice.

    With the Pacers you get multiple chances, positive spin from the front office, and plenty of playing time too!

    Also, for public figures there is a smart way to conduct yourself in public and a rather stupid way. With the money these players make they should be able to hire bodyguards and handlers to make sure they are in at least a semi-secure cocoon when out in a bar or nightspot. And of course you should excercise good judgement more times than not too!

    The Pacers are rotten at the core with no respect for leadership and really no leadership or clear pecking order. They are exactly what you would expect when the lunatics run the asylum and nobody has any idea how to rein it in. Particularly when the old ways of spin and writing checks aren't enough.

    Nobody is saying the Colts are perfect... but nobody would ever say the Pacers are either! At least one team has a true pecking order in the leadership deptarment and a prominent moral compass.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,331

    Default Re: Darrel Reid Charged with possession

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, for public figures there is a smart way to conduct yourself in public and a rather stupid way. With the money these players make they should be able to hire bodyguards and handlers to make sure they are in at least a semi-secure cocoon when out in a bar or nightspot. And of course you should excercise good judgement more times than not too!

    -Bball
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Darrel Reid Charged with possession

    The Colts were an absolute mess 5-6 years ago and there was a lot of press about it. They cleaned up their act for the most part but for a while things were bad.

    And no, misdemeanor possession and a DUI that was pleaded down don't compare to where that team was right around 2000.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •