Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Never too early to talk playoff matchups...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Never too early to talk playoff matchups...

One series is already locked up: Houston vs Utah. The only thing left to decide is the seeding.

This could possibly be the best series of the first round. Both teams rely heavily on their starters.

Houston has the obvious advantage due to star power and size, but Utah is going to have the biggest mismatch, with Carlos Boozer going up against either Juwan Howard or Chuck Hayes. Utah can also make Yao move around on defense more than any other West team outside of Phoenix, because their big men can all run the floor and shoot with range.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Never too early to talk playoff matchups...

Right now, I like the Jazz in seven games. But, you're right. It should be a dandy.

There is nothing I love more than the NBA playoffs. The Cavs could be playing the Heat in the first round - that would be a grerat series. I really love every series in the playoffs.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is nothing I love more than the NBA playoffs. The Cavs could be playing the Heat in the first round - that would be a grerat series. I really love every series in the playoffs.
    So do I, it's really going to suck though since the Pacers probably aren't going to at least be in the playoffs....

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    So do I, it's really going to suck though since the Pacers probably aren't going to at least be in the playoffs....
    I suspect we will be in the playoffs. I'm already concerned there will be nearly as many Pistons fans in Indy for game three than Pacers fans.

If Wade comes back at 80% or better, I'd say there are 4 teams in the East with a legit chance of making the Finals. Detroit, Chicago, Miami, and Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman View Post
    I suspect we will be in the playoffs. I'm already concerned there will be nearly as many Pistons fans in Indy for game three than Pacers fans.
    That's the most painful part about losing to the Pistons; their obnoxious fans taunting and celebrating in front of Conseco.

At least this year, I can just point to the Super Bowl Champions banner at the Dome and flip them off.

If we make the Playoffs, I'd really love for us to pull a 'Colts'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy View Post
    Problem is, the Colts were nowhere near sub-.500 entering the postseason.

Houston is going to own the Jazz, watch the Tmac Yao combo do damage against the jazz, and Derek Fisher is going to be the one guarding TMAC, thats a problem for the jazz,

The only advantage i see the Jazz having is, Yao on Okur, cuz Yao will leave Okur open a lot, i can already tell
    [SIGPIC]Dun Dun shooting form![/SIGPIC]

Houston-Utah is definitely an excellent opening round series. The coaching matchup is as interesting as the player matchups, too. Should be some could D on display.

Raptors have a really good chance of getting to the second round. One reason is because they are playing very well but more than that their opponent likely will be the Wizards

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andreialta View Post
    Houston is going to own the Jazz, watch the Tmac Yao combo do damage against the jazz, and Derek Fisher is going to be the one guarding TMAC, thats a problem for the jazz,

The only advantage i see the Jazz having is, Yao on Okur, cuz Yao will leave Okur open a lot, i can already tell
    I would say Boozer also represents a MAJOR mismatch for Houston. Is Kirilenko out for the season btw? He could have given T-Mac some problems ... maybe

I also think the Jazz have the better PG in Deron Williams. Wish he was on our team .

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Deron Williams is slightly better than Rafer Alston. And by slightly I mean immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy View Post
    Hey, I'm not only a Colts season ticket holder but a baseball Cardinals fan, too...so I do believe in sports miracles... having witnessed and enjoyed two incredible turn-a-rounds this sports season.

I know a third miracle for our Pacers is way too much to expect, but I am beginning to gather hope that we won't be nearly as bad as it looked a couple of weeks ago.

Add Marquis Daniels to the mix successfully in the playoffs and I suspect we can make things interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    One series is already locked up: Houston vs Utah. The only thing left to decide is the seeding.

This could possibly be the best series of the first round. Both teams rely heavily on their starters.

Houston has the obvious advantage due to star power and size, but Utah is going to have the biggest mismatch, with Carlos Boozer going up against either Juwan Howard or Chuck Hayes. Utah can also make Yao move around on defense more than any other West team outside of Phoenix, because their big men can all run the floor and shoot with range.
    I agree. In fact, I think with Yao rounding into shape that Houston is the dark horse to go to the finals.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Houston was my preseason pick to go to the finals, so I guess I can't back out on them now.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Lakers vs Suns in the 1st round!!!

Sweeeeeet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMltKsoDwe8&NR=1
    press pause on the second slow-mo replay around 0:12 mark

I would much rather see Golden St. vs. the Mavs then the Clippers. It'll also be interesting to watch the Nuggets b/c Iverson is a whole new man in the playoffs.

Of course I want to see the Pacers. I don't care who we're playing. We've played the Pistons decently this year. We've loss both since the trade, but we only loss by 7 at Detroit and we got off to a good start at home against them, with Tinsley playing hurt.

Of course I would like us to move up to the 7th seed and avoid the Pistons, but if we have to play them.. so be it.

Plus if we get Quis back for the playoffs... things could get interesting.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    Problem is, the Colts were nowhere near sub-.500 entering the postseason.
    Remind us all again what you thought of their chances going in.

The main difference with the Colts and Pacers is that when the Colts hit the skids they were way, way up while the Pacers were at 500. But the Colts last 5-6 weeks looks somewhat similar to the Pacers last month or so.

Losing to bad teams, blown out even, no defense...

But yeah, this team before or after the trade didn't quite seem poised to make a title run anyway.

I think the Lakers are poised to get thumped in a PHX rematch. Last year was a wake up call for the Suns, and honestly the Lakers haven't been that great down the stretch. Sure Kobe has gone off in wins over bad teams, but what has he done in the tough games (like tonight vs DEN for example)?

If the Warriors come up short they are going to look back at 2 things, the 0-4 vs LAL and the 3 game skid when Jack was out with the foot injury (CHI, NY, WSH). Since then they've had wins at Detroit, hosting PHX, hosting DAL, at Houston, and so far tonight even hosting Utah.

That's a lot of quality wins down the stretch. Since March 5th they have one bad loss (POR) and 4 tough ones (LAL, SAS, SAS, UTH). 11-5, maybe 12-5 with wins over 4 (or 5) of the top 6-7 teams in the NBA. If they get in at 8th they dodge the Spurs (and Lakers) and catch a team they actually showed they can beat.

That leaves the Clips right in the crossfire. They could spoil it for the Lakers which I'm sure they'd love or could still get yanked back by the Warriors.

The Cavs/Bulls race to the finish for 2nd or 5th spot is huge for the Pacers because New Jersey plays both of them along the way. That's almost a playoff series itself (the race between CLE and CHI). Either an easy 1st round team or on the road vs Miami.

And let's not forget that the Raptors are sitting there ready to steal away the SECOND SEED. I said Toronto Raptors are on the verge of having the 2nd seed. Wow. Huge 2nd half from them. I thought they would finish a few games over .500 way back in DEC because of the schedule getting easier, but dang.

Raptors are favorites to be in the 2nd round this year, and if they have home court vs CHI or CLE that could get really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Raptors have a really good chance of getting to the second round. One reason is because they are playing very well but more than that their opponent likely will be the Wizards
    As I said above, but now expanding for Pacers reasons, the Raps can get to #2 still and honestly NJ could be in some trouble with games vs CLE and CHI being possible seeding games for those teams. Obviously the Pacers must win the game vs NJ too.

But let's say the Pacers win every game but the @MIA game, just to look at the situation. And then consider NJ losing to CLE and CHI also. That puts NJ in on the tie-break. But NJ also must play the Knicks twice and both are 2nd nights of back to backs, one in MSG. They also have to play WSH who is fighting with them for that 6th seed.

It's not way out there to see NJ go 2-4 while the Pacers go 5-1, putting the Pacers into 7th to face...#2 Toronto.

And while the Raps are playing great ball, a return of Quis for that series really puts it into a different perspective IMO.

Also don't pencil the Wiz into any slots just yet, with 6 to go the only team that doens't desperately need to beat them is Atlanta. It would take a total disaster for Indy to catch them, but then they did just lose Agent Zero and Butler which might qualify.

If Indy can win the games they should win it would force some of these teams to at least win some huge games of their own, it would ensure that those other teams couldn't back into the playoffs.

Sports Logo

If we win tonight and the Wizards win tonight ( which is a real stretch ) against the Nets....we could be 1 game back of both the Nets and the Magic for the 8th spot in the East.

Hopefully the Pistons don't sleep on the Magic tomorrow and we somehow beat the Bucks on the road so that we can slowly back into the 8th spot in the East.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I wish they had the tie-breaker with WSH (or NJ for that matter). That way either WSH roughs up NJ or NJ helps send WSH towards the Pacers.

But it's mostly moot. What matters is the Pacers winning. Not a lot of margin for error now.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    If we win tonight and the Wizards win tonight ( which is a real stretch ) against the Nets....we could be 1 game back of both the Nets and the Magic for the 8th spot in the East.

Hopefully the Pistons don't sleep on the Magic tomorrow and we somehow beat the Bucks on the road so that we can slowly back into the 8th spot in the East.
    THe Pistons should kill the magic, and I think we beat the Bucks pretty easily. No Redd, Charlie V, or Bogut. Backing into the plays doesn't seem to far-fetched right now.