Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone still thinking "tank?"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Is anyone still thinking "tank?"

Because it looks like that is no longer a realistic option. It's looking like Playoffs or Bust right now.

I just hope we somehow sneak into the 7th spot. I want to make the playoffs, but I'd almost rather not if it means losing to the Pistons again. Ugh.

Default Re: Is anyone still thinking "tank?"

I just fear that we will find ourselves in 'no mans land': just short of the playoffs and greater than the 10th pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just fear that we will find ourselves in 'no mans land': just short of the playoffs and greater than the 10th pick.
    Yeah, that's obviously the worst place to be.

Banned

Sadly, we've screwed ourselves over to the point it looks like were gonna finish in No Mans Land. My one hope is the team either comes close to winning out or losing out, thats our only hope for one or the other.

Banned

I just checked it out, we're in 12th and teams 9-11 are all tied in the loss column with 44 a piece. So it's still not impossible for us to land a top-10 pick, but we'd have to finish the season playing very ****ty. No more than 2 wins the rest of the way, at most.

It looks like it's Death Valley or playoffs at this point. I wanted that pick, and I'm not happy about losing it this year. At all. But, that's out so I hope we make the playoffs just to give me something to watch for a week. We will lose to whomever we play.

I have accepted the fact that we will not get the pick because there are just too many teams that suck. Now I would rather make the playoffs, somehow, and lose in the first round. My whole perspective is that if we can't have the pick, make it the worst pick we can for the Hawks.

And speaking of matchups in the playoffs, I would be fine facing the Pistons. We have done well against them all year as well as the Bulls, Heat, and Raptors. I think we will put up a fight regardless of who we play.

I gave up on the season for one day. . .then I was like, what the **** am i thinkin

Not here. I never think tank. Win them while you have a chance.

I believe we'll make the playoffs and then it's an entirely new season. Gives me a chance to dream. What if? The team has had a chance to gel some what and can wreak havoc in the playoffs.

Actually, if we do make the playoffs, I don't think we'll go down as easily as a lot of people think, even if we play the Pistons. Wouldn't it be nice to stay hot and hit over 50% in the playoffs? I know, the last two teams aren't elite but we're the worst shooting team in the league and have been stinking it up all year with the likes of the Bobcats and Celtics, so the "torrid" shooting of the last two games is encouraging.

I'll never underestimate this team's ability to suck ***. As long as we're still mathematically capable of getting the 10th spot, I won't stop believing.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Ive been sick of the whole 'tank' thing since the day people started talking about it.

It doesnt work like that. This is a professional sports team, they arent going to lose on purpose. You all have been sports fans long enough to know this.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

WWKLD?

What Would King Leonidas Do?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    Ive been sick of the whole 'tank' thing since the day people started talking about it.

It doesnt work like that. This is a professional sports team, they arent going to lose on purpose. You all have been sports fans long enough to know this.

You are right. Teams don't tank. However what you see is what you will be seeing for the next 92 games. --6 this season, 4 in playoffs, and 82 next seeason.

Sometimes rehab is painful. Prolong it and it's more painful. Sometimes denial is painful

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    WWKLD?

What Would King Leonidas Do?
    Eat a hearty breakfast, Pacers. For tonight, we dine in DETROIT!!!

As for those vehemently opposed to tanking, what if the Pacers were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs with...say...three games or so to go, but could still get the #10 spot for a draft pick with an 0-3 finish and some other circumstances. Would you still root for a win?

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    As for those vehemently opposed to tanking, what if the Pacers were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs with...say...three games or so to go, but could still get the #10 spot for a draft pick with an 0-3 finish and some other circumstances. Would you still root for a win?
    Yes.

I wouldnt want them to play JO anymore. Id like to see them play the younger players more and let them end the season getting more experience. But Id still want to see the younger guys win, not lose.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Absolutely yes. Absolutely.

I don't care if the team isn't any good and doesn't have a chance to go to the playoffs. Without hesitation, I will always root for a win.

Always.

Imagine yourself in the stands at Conseco - or better yet, you're on the west side of Indy at Yester Daze Pub and there's a guy in a Pacers jersey cheering after every opposing basket and jeering after every good Pacers play. What kind of reception do you think this guy will get?

I don't care if this is the internet, there is no difference in my mind, you are responsible for your attitude and actions, even in the ether.

Rooting for your own team to lose is traitorous sacrilege. Yesterday. Today. Tomorrow.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

You can make the same argument that a real fan would always be supportive and never boo his team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    You can make the same argument that a real fan would always be supportive and never boo his team.
    *waits for Roaming Gnome*

*waits for Roaming Gnome*

He doesn't boo his team, just the national anthem, during wartime, no less. Might as well just climb up into the rafters and set fire to the flag.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post

Obviously you've never heard of points shaving.

Doesn't matter because with our luck Kevin Durant, Greg Oden, Mike Conley et al will just say "One More Year!" and then where would we be? I'll tell you: Baby Bulls 1998-2004.

Is Atlanta rquired to take the pick this year or can they defer to the following less protected years?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I know one thing, I will NEVER be able to watch a Pacers game and root for them to lose. NEVER. The only thing this team can drive me to is apathy but if that happens then I'm just not going to watch the game at all.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    I know one thing, I will NEVER be able to watch a Pacers game and root for them to lose. NEVER. The only thing this team can drive me to is apathy but if that happens then I'm just not going to watch the game at all.
    Smooth ... thats for sure, i'm with ya there. Every game is a new one, every day is a new day. I still believe. I lived as a fan through the middle 80's teams. Nothing can be that bad.

Plus, id rather lose 3 and out in the playoffs in the first round than be out of the playoffs hoping for a 0.5% of winning the lottery. And I want to take our pill and give the pick to the ATL this year and get it over with. Rather than taking a chance on it being a better pick next year.

Never Tank!

Go Pacers!!!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post

Rooting for your own team to lose is traitorous sacrilege. Yesterday. Today. Tomorrow.
    What he said! Words to live by!

This could be our next year's Marketing Theme.

Excellent take. Genious!