Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you rather play Detroit or New Jersey?

Default Would you rather play Detroit or New Jersey?

Well?

I don't want the Pacers to look past this next game with Miami, but there's not much for us as fans to talk about. I'm not sure that the Nets can win two straight on the road in this series, but that's not the point.

Who would you rather play, as a Pacer fan?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Would you rather play Detroit or New Jersey?

I have two schools of thought on this. One, I'd rather play New Jersey. Why? Because I believe NJ is not as good as Detroit and therefore would ease the road to the Finals for the Pacers. Two, I'd rather play Detroit. The Pistons are obviously one of the top teams in the NBA. Also, I think the Pacers and Pistons are sorta predestined to play one another this season. I'd love to watch the series because it'd be fantastic basketball. So, who would I rather play? I guess I'd like to play Detroit, just because I hate New Jersey so damn much. Follow that logic? :P
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Dream Big

I'd rather play Detroit, they would be elimiated much easier... Jason Kidd is a big headache imho.

I dunno how anyone could pick Detroit over NJ here. NJ has Jason Kidd which is a big advantage but it is their only advantage. I think we beat NJ easy. Detroit on the other hand has large advantages at numerous positions and many matchup problems for us off the bench. Our only significant advantage maybe is small forward. They are better on defense and have more scoring options on offense. Only way I see us beating Detroit is if they have some more injuries and/or JO and Ron play their best basketball of the year, Reggie shows up for the series, Tinsley plays better D then he ever has and is allowed to play 40 mins a game, Al pulls his head out of his ***, etc, etc. But I don't think all those things are gonna be happening at once and for 4 games. I'd be (pleasantly) suprised if we can win 2 games vs Detroit honestly, they are just a much more complete team.

Your assesment of our chances against Detroit and New Jersey is as logical as hooded crow flying in a closet.

IF NJ beats Detroit then they are the best of the two, there is not other way of putting it, they beat them.
    Which means (according to your assesment) that we would have even less of a chance against them then against Detroit.
    After all they have nothing more then Kidd (Your words) and we have .. oh well nothing.
    If however Detroit wins we stand no chance either, because they are so much better then we are.

In short, what the hell are we doing in the ECF if we win? According to you we'd be better of taking an early holiday, and go back to the drawing board with this team, after all, if we cant beat them now, we can be pretty sure we never will, after all, JO has no post game, and the rest never shows anyway.

Talking about a doom profit.

I seriously wonder if youa re rootingharder for NJ then the Pacesr, beit just to give the Pacers a chance in the ECF.

Anyway, I adhere to the age old adagio that you have to beat them all to become champs, therefore, whoever shows up, they have to fall victim to the hunger that this Pacers team obviously has.

We can negate match-ups all we want, the one never conceding their points to the other, in the end it comes down to who you support and believe in, not who do we deduct to be a winner based on paper match-ups.

As far as I'm concerned, we are the better team, if we get to the ECF I like our chances against any team, just as I like our chances in the NBA finals.

If I did not, I would not waste my time and lots of sleep.

Perhaps some need to perform above their regular performance perhaps not, but only the actual played game will tell us afterwards what was fact and what was fiction.

Nets were able to win in Detroit, Detroit was able to win in NJ, this only tells us that they were/are evenly matched, just like we would be with either of them.

Miami was to be the easier "matchup" with the Pacers, we all know where that lead to, game 6 to be played tomorrow.

Matchups count for very little in the playoffs, people either perform or do not, there is no "better luck next time" if you want to win.

Al Harrington is an explanatory example of that, invisible or as good as this series, and Jeff Foster? we all seen that the last game.

remember: Luctor et Emergo
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

i'd rather play the nets because i think they'll be easier. also because of past history :P

i think pistons are the better team, whether or not they beat the nets. that may sound a little illogical, but consider - if it weren't for some incredible luck (like scalabrine going off like reggie miller in game 5), the pistons would have won the series 4-2 already.

anyway, i'd rather play the nets, but i'm expecting to meet the pistons.

I didn't vote.

Changing the question around I can't even decide who I would rather beat. I don't think it matters who we play because whichever team comes out of that series will have lots of confidence and will be very hard to beat. (If healthy)

The conference finals start Saturday, so providing we get by Miami in 6 games, we will have three days of rest. Whoever comes out of the NJ/Det series will have one day off. I think that's a big advantage and combined with home court advantage will give us a comparably fairly easy victory in game one. After that it will be a war.

The difference between Detroit and New Jersey is Detroit plays more as a team, whereas New Jersey relies mostly on it's three all stars, Kidd, Martin, and Jefferson.

That said I think NJ would be our best match up. They lose one of their big 3 early in a series against us, they are done. Detroit would just plug someone else in.

Plus, we do have a point guard in Johnson that is familiar with NJ, so that should help, how much is anyone's guess.

Still, I don't really prefer BEATING one team over the other. The winner of their series will be the best of the two, so either will do!

sweabs

Plain and simple - look at New Jersey's depth. If you saw Game 6 between the Nets and Pistons, you saw how much playing time Frank had to give Kidd, Jefferson, and Martin. Those guys were beat tired by the end of the game, whereas we could keep throwing different guys at them.

Detroit on the other hand has a very deep team. Their front court especially scares me, where they can throw Mehmet Okur at you and even Elden Campbell (not to mention their starters of Wallace and Wallace). The only good thing that would come out of Detroit winning is me being able to drive there to watch a game and cheer on our Pacers.

Let's just hope that we CAN make it to the ECF. .

I was really torn last night watching the game. I want to play the Nets but I wanted the series to go 7 games.

Overall both teams cause all kinds of problems. Richard Jefferson has emerged as an allstar player, but I am sure Artest could keep him down. Martin defends J.O about as well as anyone, and Kidd is a killer.

With the Pistons you have Rip Hamilton who is a big problem for us. We don't have a good matchup for him. You have the Pistons who really pressure the ball, Lindsey Hunter is a problem. Pistons are deeper than the Nets. But the biggest problem the Pistons cause is their size and athleticism at the 4 and 5 positions. It does help that Sheed is playing at about 70%.

The biggest difference betwen either the Nets or Pistons and the Heat is that either team is more than capable of beating the Pacers at home. Pacers will need to win a road game in the ECF or they won't win that series

After polishing off the Heat, I want to see us beat Detroit, and then the Lakers.

There would then be no denying that the Pacers were clearly the best team, no "easy road" and no lucky cakewalk through the East, capped off by beating a team with 4 Hall of Famers.

That's what I want.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I've got reasons for wanting to play either one, pretty well explained by everybody else. Nets would be a bit easier, and we've got a good deal of history with them, but the Pistons would make for a more satisfying series. If we win, that is.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Mood

I'd rather play New Jersey. Confession time will explain: I think we would beat NJ, I don't think we'll beat Detroit.

Mood

Your assesment of our chances against Detroit and New Jersey is as logical as hooded crow flying in a closet.

IF NJ beats Detroit then they are the best of the two, there is not other way of putting it, they beat them.
    Which means (according to your assesment) that we would have even less of a chance against them then against Detroit.
    After all they have nothing more then Kidd (Your words) and we have .. oh well nothing.
    If however Detroit wins we stand no chance either, because they are so much better then we are.
    The reason it's not as simple as you think is this little thing we call "Matchups". We matchup with NJ a hell of a lot better than we do with Detroit, so even if NJ wins that doesn't mean they're gonna be tougher for us than Detroit would be.

With NJ, we deal with Kidd. OK.

Kittles isn't gonna light up Reggie, and can't stop Reggie on the other end if Reggie does anything significant.

Ron can contain Richard Jefferson.

JO and K-Mart at worst would be a wash.

Foster at worst is = to Collins

Our bench is better.

Now with Detroit:

Billups is another matchup we just have to deal with. He can draw fouls, is a much better shooter than Kidd.

We have no one to really stop Hamilton. He's too fast for Ron and Reggie, and Fred needs more experience to begin chasing him around screens. Oh, and Jamison Brewer is in street clothes. This is the potentially devistating matchup. I need to go back and see if I can figure out what we did the first 3 games we played them to relatively keep him in line, because we absolutely have to now to win.

SF - we win. If Ron's on Prince, Prince isn't doing much of anything. Ron's stronger than him and can post him on the other end. Now, in that April @ Detroit game Ron got into some foul trouble do to flopping and also legit charging, but I can't expect that to be a constant, so I feel we still have a strong advantage here.

PF - JO is the best player, and with Rasheed hurt he may be able to get a bit more of what he wants now, but he's still gonna have a tough time the whole series.

C - Foster and Wallace. Foster can and will give Ben a run for his money in the hustling and rebounding department, but as good at that as Jeff is, Ben's better at it.

Beyond that, Detroit can have a smothering defense where they are allowed to basically rub against you with their whole body and get away with it, and that could easiliy give us fits-- especially when Tinsley is OUT of the game.

So now as I've put my thoughts into words, it's not the God awful situation I thought it was, but it's far less appealing than NJ would be. I didn't even mention their bench, which will cause us trouble.

NJ NJ NJ NJ NJ NJ. Detroit scares the crap out of me. We WILL NOT beat them. Our offense is halfcourt offense, and they beat that SO easily. They will beat us in 5 games. I really think so.

NJ on the other hand, I really think that we could beat them. We played very well against them this year, and we matchup much better. Plus their bench isn't as good.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I rooted for New Jersey last night.

Detroit would be the better series, though.

Looking at Sheed Wallace limping around, I think our chances of beating the Pistons have improved. Although I will admit I worry about the Pistons advantage at guard.

Tins will have to play heavy minutes against the Pistons as I don't think AJ can handle their pressure.

Tim

Just look at the Nets Pistons series, if Detroit was really the bigger threat they would have dusted the Nets by now. Detroit has more size, more depth, better defenders, blah blah, blah blah, blah blah.

Detroit has flaws, if any team is defensively sound for 48 minutes you stand a real good chance of being in a position to win the game with 2 minutes left. The Pacers are defensively sound.

We would lose to the Nets, they are the Heat with experience and poise at home and on the road. They can defend as well as Detroit, without Detroits shot blockers, they are probably the best transition team in the league. The Nets would put together 3 or more 12 + point runs on us every night, Detroit can't do that.

Have concerns that our bigs will get shut down in half court? Then don't play half court ball.

We have Jamaal Tinsley, he cannot be stopped provided we get up tempo and play Jamaal ball. That means a few more unforced errors and a lot more fast breaks, penalty shots and the Pistons back on their heals guessing what the hell Mel Mel is going to do with the ball next.

One last important fact, Detroit doesn't have Jason Kidd to abuse Jamaal, they have Billups, Jamaal can steal the ball from Billups.

If Detroit doesn't get lucky and pick off one of the first two games from us they are done, Jamaal is the key.

Hicks that was a great breadown of the Pacers next opponent

PistonsDynasty

It's nice to read post from non-Homer fans once in a while. You guys keep it real. I come to this site to see how the feels about the Pistons.

Coming into the playoff my opinion was the Pistons vs Pacers would be a much easier series than the Pistons vs. Nets. I felt if the Pistons were able to man up and go to that next level and beat the Nets they would have an easier series with the Pacers. I'm not trying to bad mouth the Pacers.

I REPEAT - I'm not trying to bad mouth the Pacers.

Let's be realistic. That last regular season game was VERY VERY important FOR BOTH teams. The Pistons showed they are able to lock down the Pacers.

C.Bill vs. Tin - Clear advantage Pistons. C.Bill has changed h is game and has become a pass 1st pg. He's doing a great job of running the offense. Tins is also doing a good job but Billups can also draw fouls and drive to the rim for easy lay-ups.

Young Reggie (RIP) vs. Old Reggie - Clear Advantage Pistons. Let's be honest Reggie isn't doing anything on offense or defense while Rip is carring the team on offense and playing great defense.

Prince vs. Artest - Clear Advantage Pacers- Artest defense might go to waste because he's willing be defending a person that wouldn't score if he was checking him or not. On the offensive end Artest will have a field day but only if he's hitting jumpers. He might post Prince up but he won't be allowed to drive to the hoop with the Wallace Boys back there.

** Side note to this match-up. Prince prolly wont play alot of minutes and Larry as FINALLY started to use size. Corliss, Darvin Ham, Rasheed Wallace will be guarding Artest most of the game.

Sheed vs. J'O - Clear Advantage Pacers. Sheed has one foot. But when Sheed plays J'O most of the time he owns him. Maybe because Sheed use to work with all the time in Portland. What can I say about J'O he's a great player and he's going to get his points and rebound.

**I dont expect to see Sheed on J'O alot. Sheed is hurt and Larry prolly will put Ben and Okur on him . Hell he might throw Elden out there like he did in the New Jersey series.

Ben vs. Foster - Clear Advantage Pistons. I don't expect either of these guys to have big offensive games but on the boards and blks and steals Ben will be in a league of his own.

Coaching ?? ***** it: Even (I could go with Rick not knowing how to adjust or go with Larry being stupid and not playing big line-ups) So I'm just going to call it even.

Bench - Advantage Pistons.

Bench advantage Pistons?

Sure Williamson is a load, and Okur has talent, and old man Elden can be propped up and run out there,

but the Pacers bench will run circles around the Pistons bench.

PG: Pistons by a hair
    SG: Pistons by a significant amount
    SF: Pacers by a mile
    PF: Pacers by another mile (especially if Rasheed is hobbled)
    C: Ben by a mile
    coach: even
    bench: Pacers by a significant amount

Breaking the talent standoff: HOME COURT, BABY!

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

PistonsDynasty

PG: Pistons by a hair [color=red:d323d694cc]--Ok, I'll let that go[/color]
    SG: Pistons by a significant amount [color=red:d323d694cc]--Right, Right[/color]
    SF: Pacers by a mile [color=red:d323d694cc]--A mile?? I'm like'n the Ron vs. Corliss match-up[/color]
    PF: Pacers by another mile (especially if Rasheed is hobbled)[color=red:d323d694cc] --If Sheed guards Jermaine huh??[/color]
    C: Ben by a mile [color=red:d323d694cc]--Right Right[/color]
    coach: even [color=red:d323d694cc]-- Right , Right[/color]
    bench: Pacers by a significant amount [color=red:d323d694cc] ed: Be for real guy[/color]

Breaking the talent standoff: HOME COURT, BABY![color=red:d323d694cc] Pistons have proven they can win on the road in the playoff agianst good teams. [/color]

sweabs

The thing that worries me about Detroit is Lindsey Hunter and Mike James.
    Those guys are gonna press and press and press - and against AJ that is a real problem. If you watch them do it - they foul a lot of the time (even though the refs don't call it ed: ). Those guys on defense, along with Ben and Sheed down low = .

SF: Pacers by a mile [color=red:c95adb463c]--A mile?? I'm like'n the Ron vs. Corliss match-up[/color]

bench: Pacers by a significant amount [color=red:c95adb463c] ed: Be for real guy[/color]
    Tayshawn and Corliss would be 4th and 5th on the depth chart at SF if you combined the rosters for the 2 teams.
    1st: Artest
    2nd: Harrington (6th man runnerup, our "6th starter")
    3rd: Bender

You have a bench advantage at PG, I grant that, and at Center, but nowhere else.

Hunter, James, Okur, Williamson, Ham vs Johnson, Jones, Harringon, Bender, Croshere? I'll take the Pistons in a heartbeat, at least for this series.

They may not be as good offensively, but their defense is far, far superior and could probably take our starters, let alone anyone off the bench. Not to mention the advantage in size and experience. And considering how stunningly inconsistent the Pacers' bench has been recently... Maybe in a couple years the Pacers will be better but not this time around.

As for the original question, Detroit will kill us, while New Jersey will only severely injure us. I'd prefer to see the matchup that embarasses the Pacers less.

IndyToad
    Just stay at home and lie around

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just look at the Nets Pistons series, if Detroit was really the bigger threat they would have dusted the Nets by now. Detroit has more size, more depth, better defenders, blah blah, blah blah, blah blah.

Detroit has flaws, if any team is defensively sound for 48 minutes you stand a real good chance of being in a position to win the game with 2 minutes left. The Pacers are defensively sound.
    I totally agree with this assessment. The Pistons' weaknesses have been exposed in this series and if New Jersey could score in the halfcourt they would be in the ECF waiting on the Pacers.

Detroit's defense was excellent against the Nets last night but their offense was pretty pathetic. I believe the Pacers could beat them in six games.

The same goes for New Jersey. I just haven't been impressed with them this playoffs. They have experience but the Pacers have more depth and are the better team overall. Pacers in six.

So, it really doesn't matter to me who the Pacer play. I voted for NJ because I like Kidd and KMart and I really don't like the Pistons.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

When Indy played Detroit, it started and ended with Rip. His penetration and comin' off screens killed Indy. I truly think by locking Rip down, you can bring the Piston's offense to a nearly grinding halt. Anyone who thinks Artest can't guard Rip is silly. Rip is quick, but he's not Wade/Iverson quick. I'd seriously consider putting Artest on Rip and watching the Detroit offense flounder. In all honesty, I haven't caught a ton of Piston games, but the little I've seen of them seems to rely on Rip to stir things up... so stop him from stirring things up.

Detroit has a scary defense. They don't have a scary offense. The team is far from invincible. You can probably say something similar about Indy. The Nets series has shown that Detroit is far from unbeatable (hell, NJ could still win it). The Pacers have a slightly better offense, and a slightly better half-court offense which would go against Detroit's strong half-court defense, so that would prob not be where either team wins it... I think it'll be Indy's defense vs. Detroit's offense that will determine the winner. If Indy can lock down Detroit's offense, they have a good chance. Hopefully Carlisle will stress defense defense defense (which creates transition buckets).

I also think bench play will be a factor. Detroit's bench isn't invisible, but Indy *does* have a very strong bench. If the Indy bench decides it wants to kick some *** like it did in the Boston series, Detroit's bench is in trouble, but if they disappear like they did for large portions of the Miami series, then it will be an even wash.

Lastly, I think home-court advantage will be a large factor. I can truly see each team winning at home, and losing on the road. This could honestly be Indy's only true advantage. Both teams are dominant at home, and gear down on the road...

As a side note, I like the match-up of Foster vs. Ben (IF they match-up)... Ben being the big name defensive rebounding machine, and Foster the no-name, under-rated defensive rebounding machine... not much offense between the 2 of them, but plenty of hustle. I think Detroit will find Ben won't dominate that match-up as much as they'd think. It'll be fun to watch and see how it plays out.

So that's my analysis:
    1) Indy's defense vs. Detroit's offense
    2) Bench
    3) Home-court advantage

Whoever gets the best of those factors will win the series, imo.

As a side note, I think Detroit will get past NJ. I honestly think Indy would do better against Detroit than NJ... the way NJ presses and swarms... we always have a very tough time against them. And they have a lot of confidence right now. Kidd would just kill us... if we thought we had our hands full with Wade, then we're doomed against Kidd. K-Mart always gives JO fits... and when Richard Jefferson gets going it gets difficult. I think NJ's offense is a heckuva lot better than Detroits, and they ahve an under-rated defense. JMHO.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.