Thread: Another coach bites the dust

Default Another coach bites the dust

Musselman.

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

By Andy Katz
    ESPN.com

The Golden State Warriors fired head coach Eric Musselman on Wednesday night and have targeted Stanford coach Mike Montgomery as his replacement, league sources told ESPN.com on Wednesday.

"It's been a great two years. The players have played their hearts out," Musselman told the AP in a cell phone interview Wednesday night. "The organization's headed in great direction."

A source close to Montgomery confirmed for ESPN.com that there are ongoing negotiations between Montgomery's representatives and the Warriors on a four-year, multimillion-dollar deal.

If negotiations go well, Montgomery, 57, could be named Warriors coach by Friday.

Musselman, 39, told the AP that he learned his fate at 7:15 p.m. PT from Warriors' executive vice president of basketball operations Chris Mullin. Reached earlier in the evening in Florida by ESPN.com, Musselman said that he hadn't talked to Mullin in two weeks and that Mullin had been non-committal on his and his staff's status.

Musselman, who had one year remaining on his contract, went 75-89 in two seasons with the Warriors, his first NBA head coaching job. He finished second in the league's Coach of the Year voting in 2002-03 after guiding Golden State to a 38-44 record.

Musselman told ESPN.com that hiring Montgomery would make sense since, to his knowledge, the Warriors hadn't been talking to anyone within the NBA about replacing him. It would be a bold hire for Mullin, given the relative lack of success for coaches making the jump from college to the NBA; however, Montgomery is regarded as one of the college game's foremost X's-and-O's men.

Sources told ESPN.com that Stanford athletic director Ted Leland was called out of a Pac-10 properties meeting in Los Angeles and left abruptly, saying he had to return to campus to deal with pressing issues. Calls to Stanford were not returned Wednesday. Stanford's coaches, including Montgomery, were instructing players individually Wednesday on campus.

SNIP-

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1805167

AP Story:
    http://tinyurl.com/28vvr

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Another coach bites the dust

No surprise , I think this was coming for alongtime and it was just a matter of time.

Yeah, I'm not surprised either. New GM, new coach. Musselman should be able to get another head coaching job in the NBA. Maybe not next year but he should get one. Montgomery is somewhat surprising to me though. He's popular around here yes, but that doesn't translate into more fans really. The team has to win to get all the bandwagon fans around here; there's too many other sporting options in the area.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Do you think he would coach a Team like say the Hornets ? dunno why I said that but wasn't the hornets coach fired ..sorry I can't remember his name right now as my brain is on overload from so much NBA playoff action

Oh Yeah Tim Flyod was his name

Doubt it. I think the Hornets are going to go with someone with more of a track record though. They seem okay with their major pieces. I'd see him returning to Atlanta or maybe Orlando before somewhere like that.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not surprised Musselman was fired, but I am really suprised Mike Montgomery is in negotiations for the position. He's really done a solid job at Stanford, and I never thought he'd want to leave the Cardinal. I had no idea he was interested in the NBA. Fascinating.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

I can see why he would want to. It's a shot to try the NBA for one. For another, if he fails there he'll still be able to get a high profile college gig. Lastly, recruiting at Stanford is diffcult due to academics. Maybe he'd like a change from that.

Hiring a coach straight from college is not only a stupid decision it is a really, really stupid decision. This will set the Warriors back several season.

Quick, someone name for me a coach that came straight from college who was a successful NBA coach. Now if a college coach comes to the NBA and is an assistant for two years first, OK

I wanted... ahem.. [size=7:356357fb29]Fratello[/size]

Quick, someone name for me a coach that came straight from college who was a successful NBA coach.
    Larry Brown?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quick, someone name for me a coach that came straight from college who was a successful NBA coach.
    Larry Brown?
    Yes, but that was 30 years ago when he coached in the ABA. He also had the advantage of playing in the NBA.

Rick Pitino was successful as the Knicks coach, but he was an assistant under Hubie Brown years earlier, then went to college and then back to the NBA.

Let me amend my original statement, hiring a coach who has never played in the NBA, or coached in the NBA is stupid and it will fail big time.

I'd agree with that.

I wasn't trying to be argumentative, it's just that Larry Brown popped into my head as the sole exception I could think of.

The list of NBA flops among top college coaches is getting long. Pitino, Calipari, Carlissimo, Lon Kruger, Tim Floyd, Leonard Hamilton, didn't even Jerry Tarkanian give it a shot?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Musselman sounds like a really bright guy who probably will resurface and be a decent coach.

His GM didn't exactly help him out--they lose their two highest scorers (Jamison and Arenas), and management forces him to play young players so he has no chance of winning games. A lose-lose situation for sure.

GM = Rod Higgins. ed:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

ot - sorry but
    Steve walks warily down the street,
    with the brim pulled way down low
    Ain't no sound but the sound of his feet,
    machine guns ready to go

Are you ready,
    Are you ready for this
    Are you hanging on the edge of your seat
    Out of the doorway the bullets rip
    To the sound of the beat

Another one bites the dust
    And another one gone, and another one gone
    Hey, I'm gonna get you too

How do you think I'm going to get along,
    without you, when you're gone
    You took me for everything that I had,
    and kicked me out on my own

Are you happy, are you satisfied
    How long can you stand the heat
    To the sound of the beat

Chorus

There are plenty of ways you can hurt a man
    And bring him to the ground
    You can beat him
    You can cheat him
    you can treat him bad and leave him
    When he's down
    But I'm ready, yes I'm ready for you
    I'm standing on my own two feet
    repeating the sound of the beat

GM = Rod Higgins. ed:
    Seriously. I was totally hoping for Mullin to take the job. Oh well.

GO !