Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers vs. Bobcats Post-Game Thread: The tank stops in Charlotte

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers vs. Bobcats Post-Game Thread: The tank stops in Charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Add JO to that least and you've got my ideal off season moves for new player acquisition list.
    With tonights overall team performance (even though it is just one game), you might just get your wish. And maybe even Quis.

You had to wonder what Tins was thinking while he was watching the 3rd/4th string PG McCleod run the "offense / team" better than he does.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    I see your overall point on Tins vs. the other two. No argument here. But this part wouldn't have been any different though.
    Just saying that Buck was talking about how nice it was to watch good PG defense tonight. I wondered when he changed channels.

I like Greene, but even he was frustrating. Of course some of his offense is always problematic. Did anyone see he and Danny arguing after his pass to Danny was stolen for a dunk? DA had to break them up a bit (verbal only, nothing serious).

IndyMan - JO played for defense and the post threat (drawing doubles). Ike simply isn't as mature and poised about protecting the ball, and vs CHA that's especially required. They pushed their luck with Shawne and Danny through the 4th, which is a big reason why DunDun was so critical out there. Gerald Wallace is monster ball hawk, very talented. He once left Danny from baseline weakside when he read JO's doubleteam kickout pass and got to the ball out at the arc BEFORE his own man (Felton) could touch it, and Ray was guarding the guy it was coming to (DA). Sick.

As I said, the 4th quarter offense was miserable. You had broken play shot making, or things like the late airball that DA caught and put up with 2 seconds from under the rim for the bucket. You don't design that and you certainly don't want to be banking on it.

CHA got great looks on kick outs, in the post, and drives to the lane. Indy answered when DG would hit a defended jumper or they'd score out of some slop.

Pacers were just under their AST per FG tonight (58% norm, 55% tonight) so they didn't move it especially well even in total. But they did shoot 54.8% compared to their season average of 43.6%. That's a massive difference.

And looking closer at that surprisingly high AST number (IMO) you notice a problem in the 4th. That flurry of 8 assists in the first half of the 4th sounds great until you see what shots they came on:

12 ft jumper
    layup
    19 ft jumper
    18 ft jumper
    3pt
    3pt
    20 ft jumper
    19 ft jumper

Some of those were decent ball reversals around the arc to the corner (for a Shawne 3 for example), but many were simply that a guy passed in desperation and the guy it went to answered the mild prayer (he gets an assist for playing hot potato).

The points in paint were insanely in CHA's favor. I think mid-4th it was like 40-22 or something. The Pacers hit poorly created, semi-open jumpers. That's why I sound negative. This was more like a "punchers chance" win than a true display of overall smooth play.

Of course perhaps they simply played down to the competition. But CHA looked more effective in the 4th than Indy. You know those nights when it seems like no matter what the opponent can't miss and it ticks you off? A lot of Bobcat fans went home feeling that way tonight.

Tough crap I say, it happens to the Pacers all the time. I just wish they had the shooting to make that happen all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Errr...you did see Felton walking into the lane over and over and over. DA and McLeod are not very good defenders.

They are both much better than Tinsley. Maybe my point of reference is a little off because of Tinsley, but Leod and DA are much better defenders than Tinsley.

They ran no offense in the 4th at all.

When have they? One of Rick's/the team's biggest flaws this season. No offense=no opponent defensive effort=more energy to focus on offense=scoring efficiently while the Pacers go ice-cold.

Mood

Something else that was not so evident in the overall scheme of things. We actually caught a few breaks from the refs for the first time in along time. The cats had a few bad calls on them, but hey, when i'm rooting for the home team, it doesn't matter when we get some breaks. It sure feels nice. Thanks to DS for calling off the dogs tonight?

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

not to rain on anyones parade or anything but it was the Bobcats we beat.

not to rain on the parade but we did beat the heat aswell...and only lost to the bulls by 2...
    not to rain on anyones parade but we are only 1 game back of the 8th spot with the celtics coming up...
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Celtics will be tough.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

and yet we're still in no-mans land with no pick and no playoff spot.....so what did all those wins accomplish?

last time I checked the league doesn't give you a banner for most moral victories in a season.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    and yet we're still in no-mans land with no pick and no playoff spot.....so what did all those wins accomplish?

last time I checked the league doesn't give you a banner for most moral victories in a season.
    Yeah, with 8 or so games remaining. Anything can happen. Maybe we won't be in no-mans land by the end of the year.....

I was actually excited and had fun watching the Pacers play tonight.

I miss that feeling. Danny had a GREAT game, he hit some shots that Dwayne
    LeBron or Kobe would usually make.

Now don't show up tomorrow to get beat by Boston.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMltKsoDwe8&NR=1
    press pause on the second slow-mo replay around 0:12 mark

Yes, the tank is over. We have reached an equilibrium and it's decidedly luke warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Celtics will be tough.
    The Celtics full on lets tank mode. Jefferson and Pierce are both sitting.

Well, all I can say is someone needs to tell Danny he can do this every night if he wants, cause he can. Dropping 32 on a guy like Gerald Wallace is a big time accomplishment.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

What injury does Tins have ??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMltKsoDwe8&NR=1
    press pause on the second slow-mo replay around 0:12 mark

Okay, I guess I'm the only one upset that the P's won. We still need a miracle to make the playoffs, but now we need one to get a draft pick, too.

No playoffs + no pick = nightmare scenario.

Now, about the game...

Great stats by Granger, but the kid doesn't shoot enough. JO has another 23% shooting night where he still jacks up 18 shots. Granger is on fire and he only takes 14. I don't want to see him taking bad shots, but when JO is having one of his off nights, I'd rather see DG given the green light. We don't need him to lead the team in FGA, but when he's hot, ... why not?

I say it all the time, but Shawne Williams is a baller. I have little doubt that he will develop into a scorer; maybe the best on the team in a few seasons. For all the talk this preseason about management thinking he might be too raw, he's impressed time and time again.

This win hurts, but it is good to see Williams and Granger play well at the same time.

I'd love it if Dun could just be a 38% 3pt guy that goes 48% from 2pt range with 4 assists and 5.5 rebounds (more asked on offense because he's less of a defender). Right now the 3pt shot and assists simply aren't there. Until they are he's going to be overpaid and sometimes part of the problem.

He seems great, it's the results half the time that I don't like.
    well, he's rebounding is up to 5.2, with the pacers, and i think he is playing a shooting guard role most of the time, so this is a good sign

he is up to atleats 2.6 assists since being a pacers, and i think that this can go up, if most of his passes were converted, but if you give him a lot of those hockey assists, where he just gives the extra pass, he could be getting a lot more

he is right now at 49 % fg percentage
    and 29% 3pointer, i think now with the pacers, he is starting to get comfortable with the offense, and not just standing behind the arc like he did most of the time with the warriors, he is trying to be a consistent perimeter shooting, which i think he can be with a stroke like he has

he averages 1.8 turnovers right now, tho i think he is smart most of the time, when fatigue becomes a factor for him, he makes bad decisions at time, but i think he is in perfect basketball shape and could play 48 minutes, just the running up and down non stop can get to him at times

but i still like my boy Dunleavy!!

my 2nd Favorite nba player, and my Favorite Pacer!!
    [SIGPIC]Dun Dun shooting form![/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    Okay, I guess I'm the only one upset that the P's won. We still need a miracle to make the playoffs, but now we need one to get a draft pick, too.

Now, about the game...

Great stats by Granger, but the kid doesn't shoot enough. JO has another 23% shooting night where he still jacks up 18 shots. Granger is on fire and he only takes 14. I don't want to see him taking bad shots, but when JO is having one of his off nights, I'd rather see DG given the green light. We don't need him to lead the team in FGA, but when he's hot, ... why not?

I say it all the time, but Shawne Williams is a baller. I have little doubt that he will develop into a scorer; maybe the best on the team in a few seasons. For all the talk this preseason about management thinking he might be too raw, he's impressed time and time again.

This win hurts, but it is good to see Williams and Granger play well at the same time.
    Williams has a Redd-like release. Ok, maybe that's a stretch...but it's a quick accurate release. He's just very skilled offensively...more advanced than Granger at the same age.

As for tanking, I'm just about convinced now that we cannot drop low enough. We have a shot to squeek in for a first round exit.

I'll say this: if they win tomorrow, I'm definately rooting for them to make the playoffs again. I'll even force myself to be a little optimistic.

I definitely hope we make the playoffs (and I think we will), and one reason is to get post-season experience for Granger, Williams, and the Warrior Pacers, who've never been.

As for the pick, look, we owe Atlanta a first-rounder now or later. Unless our would-be pick is in the top 5 this year, I'd just as soon put the pick in the Hawks' hands now and move on.

If we really want into the first round, I think a contender or contender-wannabe will pay up -- trade a pick(s) plus a player or two -- for J.O., and that's the way to go. Cash out Jermaine for his market value, to include a pick, and deal his contract away in the process.

I,m glad to see (almost) everybody talk positive over this team after tonight's win. It's a fresh breath of air to read this. Keep up the spirit guys!
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Dunleavy should just focus on becoming a quality mid range shooter. Chicago got Luol Deng to do this and he is shooting 52% from the field and is looking like the best player on that team. Granger and Williams can both shoot it from range, if we can get a PG that can be a consistent 3pt shooter then having 2 SGs in Quis and Dun who aren't 3pt shooters will be fine.

Its good see Granger light up a quality defender like Wallace. I think the people that have been getting down on his mental lapses are forgetting that he is just a 2nd year player and has already improved significantly. If he is still making the same amount of mistakes next year it is something to be concerned about.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Well... indeed tanking now is very likely going to be futile, we might as well make a run for the play-offs now, get our former GSW-players and our young guns some experience.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Someone said we need a miracle to make the playoffs. You must not have been following the Orlando Magic. We are one game behind them and we own the tie-breaker - if the Pacers win 3 of the last 7 they will make the playoffs. Doesn't sound like a miracle to me - sounds pretty likely.

The Future Is Bright JB's Breakout Year's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post

Atlanta owns our 1st round pick, either this year or next or whenever. I don't get the point in hoping we lose just to put off the inevitable for another season.

Especially in a draft that is forward-heavy. Dr. Goldfoot posted something to this effect a while back. Danny Granger is good. Shawne Williams is what, 20 years old? We just got Ike. That doesn't even include our best player, JO. We don't need forwards.

There is also a good chance we can trade for a 1st round pick in this year's draft if we want to. It happens all the time.

It just seems like us not having this pick is being blown out of proportion.
    It isn't like no pick=no chance for improving our team. There is no way Bird stands pat with what he's got now.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfire View Post
    Its good see Granger light up a quality defender like Wallace. I think the people that have been getting down on his mental lapses are forgetting that he is just a 2nd year player and has already improved significantly. If he is still making the same amount of mistakes next year it is something to be concerned about.
    That had to have been Granger's best game of his career. He has become more aggressive and his shot is getting more accurate. After this summer, I could see Granger and Williams really coming into their own next year.