Thread: A Wide-Angle View of the Playoff Hopefuls...

Default A Wide-Angle View of the Playoff Hopefuls...

Let's get right to it...

Here's my take on the playoff hopefuls from the 7th seed through the 11th position in the Eastern Conference:

#7 Nets, 35-39

8 games remaining = 3 @ home/5 on the road.
    5 games are against teams currently holding playoff positions = Bulls and Wizards (X2 games/each)
    3 games against teams fighting for any real chance at a playoff berth = Knicks (X2 games) and Pacers
    They have 3 sets of back-to-back games.
    All remaining games are against EC teams.

Outlook: Nets need to win 6 of their remaining 8 games to secure the 7th seed and assure themselves a playoff berth. Ahtough they have faired well against EC teams (25-19), they haven't done as well on the road (14-22). The Nets chances of wrapping up the #7 seed improved w/both of the Wizards high scorers getting season-ending injuries. Add to the fact that they hold the season series against the Bulls, 2-0, I expect the Nets should hold on to their #7 seed. However, I'm not putting any money down on it! The Bulls' play has improved of late, and I'd never count out the Knicks! They can steal a game or two which would put the Nets on the ropes.

#8 Magic, 34-41

7 games remaining = 3 @ home, 4 on the road
    3 games are against teams currently holding playoff positions = Pistons, Heat, Wizards
    1 game against a team fighting for any real chance at a playoff berth = 76ers
    3 games against teams out of the playoff hunt (1 WC/2 EC)
    They have 2 sets of back-to-back games.

Outlook: Magic have the softer schedule. However, a slip-up or two could cost them! Remember, the Pacers are only 1.5 games back and they hold the tie-breaker by virtue of having a better conference record (currently 22-22 -vs- Magic 21-25). Magic need only to remain at least 2 wins ahead of the Pacers to secure the #8 seed.

#9 Pacers, 32-42

3 games are against teams currently holding playoff positions = Heat, Nets, Wizards
    2 games are against teams fighting for any real chance at a playoff berth = 76ers and Bobcats
    3 are against teams outside the playoff picture

Outlook: Pacers have been their own worst enemy for a playoff berth, but if ever there was a point in the season where they could redeem themselves, this is it! Their next 4 games are against teams with losing records - Bobcats, 76ers, Celtics and Bucks. Plus, they have the Hawks. Add to that the fact they they hold the season series lead against the Heat, 2-1 and they matchup very well against them AND the fact that the Wizards - the last team they face on the season - will be without their best two offensive weapons, the Pacers have a chance to move into the playoff picture because the truth is only the Nets and Heat pose a real threat to their playoff aspirations...unless, of course, you want to include the Pacers themselves being as I said...their own worst enemy.

#10 Knicks, 31-43

5 games are against teams currently holding playoff positions = Pistons, Bulls, Nets (X2), Raptors
    1 game is a team w/any real chance at a playoff berth = Bobcats
    2 are against teams outside the playoff picture
    6 of their remaining games are against EC teams.
    1 is against a WC team (T-Wolves)

Outlook: The Knicks have their hands full. Not only do they have 5 road games, but they'll also face 5 playoff-bounds teams and 2 in the hunt. Of all the teams looking to get in or retain a playoff berth, the Knicks are the only team fighting upstream - HARD! But this is a fiesty bunch. They have a "never-say die/don't quite" attitude I wish my boyz (Pacers) had. They'll be scrappy 'til the end, and for the Knicks that means 'til the last shot whether they're ahead or behind. Keep a close watch on this team. They might surprise some folks.

#11 76ers, 30-44

8 games remaining = 5 @ home/3 on the road.
    5 games are against teams currently holding playoff positions = Raptors (X2), Magic, Pistons and Cavs
    1 game is against a team fighting for any real chance at a playoff berth = Pacers
    2 are against teams outside the playoff picture

Outlook: Of all the playoff hopefuls, the 76ers are probrably in the worst position by far. Not only do they have the worst road record of any of the playoff hopefuls (11-27), they also have the worse conference record of the playoff hopefuls (19-25) They get a break by playing 5 of their remaining 8 games at home, but all of their remaining games are against the East, and 5 are against strong playoff contenders. I don't see this team moving up the ranks at all.
    Team outside the bubble to look out for: Bobcats!

(Note: Thread also posted at IndyStar/Pacers forum)

Sports Logo

Default Re: A Wide-Angle View of the Playoff Hopefuls...

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    #9 Pacers, 32-42

3 games are against teams currently holding playoff positions = Heat, Nets, Wizards
    2 games are against teams fighting for any real chance at a playoff berth = 76ers and Bobcats
    3 are against teams outside the playoff picture

Outlook: Pacers have been their own worst enemy for a playoff berth, but if ever there was a point in the season where they could redeem themselves, this is it! Their next 4 games are against teams with losing records - Bobcats, 76ers, Celtics and Bucks. Plus, they have the Hawks. Add to that the fact they they hold the season series lead against the Heat, 2-1 and they matchup very well against them AND the fact that the Wizards - the last team they face on the season - will be without their best two offensive weapons, the Pacers have a chance to move into the playoff picture because the truth is only the Nets and Heat pose a real threat to their playoff aspirations...unless, of course, you want to include the Pacers themselves being as I said...their own worst enemy.
    Whether its a team that is headed to the playoffs...or to the Lottery...we are an equal opportunity team....we are fully capable of losing to any team at this point.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Here's a quick cut and paste of the Excel I made for tracking my late season hope/ heartbreak. It lets me see, at a glance, who I gotta root for in the other games.

Team Record Game 1 Game 2 Game 3 Game 4 Game 5 Game 6 Game 7 Game 8
    Wiz 39-35 Cavs Nets Nets Heat Hawks Bulls Magic Pacers
    Nets 35-39 Bulls Wiz Wiz Cavs Knicks Pacers Knicks Bulls
    Magic 34-41 XXXXXXXX Memphis Bucks Pistons 76rs Celtics Wiz Heat
    Pacers 32-42 Bobcats Celtics 76rs Bucks Heat Nets Hawks Wiz
    Knicks 31-43 T-wolves Bucks Pistons Bulls Nets Raptors Nets Bobcats
    76rs 30-44 Raptors Hawks Pacers Celtics Magic Pistons Cavs Raptors

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I like these lists and this talk a lot more than the draft stuff, that's for sure. I don't think I hide the fact that I love seeing those magic numbers drop in the draft pick side of things (the dark side IMO).

At first you think "what are the Wiz doing on that list", but honestly they could end up 40-42 if the Nets, Magic and Pacers simply step up due to their own playoff desires.

Yeah, the Wiz are still on the list. We should probably be rooting for them to at least get one game from NJ in their back to back.

I love playoff basketball. I prefer it 10,000 times more than watching ping pong balls.

Updated schedule:

Team Record Game 1 Game 2 Game 3 Game 4 Game 5 Game 6 Game 7
    Wiz 39-36 Nets Nets Heat Hawks Bulls Magic Pacers
    Nets 35-40 Wiz Wiz Cavs Knicks Pacers Knicks Bulls
    Magic 34-41 Memphis Bucks Pistons 76rs Celtics Wiz Heat
    Pacers 33-42 Celtics 76rs Bucks Heat Nets Hawks Wiz
    Knicks 31-44 Bucks Pistons Bulls Nets Raptors Nets Bobcats
    76rs 30-45 Hawks Pacers Celtics Magic Pistons Cavs Raptors

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    I love playoff basketball. I prefer it 10,000 times more than watching ping pong balls.
    You, sir, have never watched a good ping pong match!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    You, sir, have never watched a good ping pong match!
    Sadly, we'd probably have a much better chance of landing the #1 pick than beating the Pistons in the first round.

GO BUCKS!

that's right go bucks! WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    we need a big win tonight from them! then a big loss on wed.!
    lol
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Sports Logo

Since there is still a very slim chance of us catching up with the Nets ( since we are 2 games behind them )....here is a schedule of games left. The problem that we always face is that whenever we win......the Magic win....so we can't make any ground.

Monday 4/9
    Magic Vs. Bucks ( Away )

Tuesday 4/10
    Pacers Vs. Sixers ( Away )
    Nets Vs. Wizards ( Away )

Wednesday 4/11
    Pacers Vs. Bucks ( Away )
    Magic Vs. Pistons ( Away )

Thursday 4/12
    Nets Vs. Cavs ( Away )

Friday 4/13
    Pacers Vs. Heat ( Away )
    Nets Vs. Knicks ( Home )

Saturday 4/14
    Magic Vs. Sixers ( Away )

Sunday 4/15
    Pacers Vs. Nets ( Home )
    Magic Vs. Celtics ( Home )

Monday 4/16
    Nets Vs. Knicks ( Away )

Tuesday 4/17
    Pacers Vs. Hawks ( Away )
    Magic Vs. Wizards ( Away )

Wednesday 4/18
    Pacers Vs. Wizards ( Home )
    Magic Vs. Heat ( Home )
    Nets Vs. Bulls ( Home )

Assuming that the Magic beat the Bucks tonight.....which they are perfectly capable of since they have won 2 games out of 3 against the Bucks this season....the only time I think that we can gain some ground....if we are lucky...is on Wednesday when we play the Bucks and the Magic play the Pistons...where both the Magic and the Pacers are on the road. The only game that I am pretty sure that we will win ( going foward ) is the Hawks game on Tuesday. The Magic will be playing the Wizards on the road. Hopefully, the Wizards aren't going to rollover since they are only 3 games ahead of the Nets with Arenas out and an important Nets/Cavs game tomorrow.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

btw, Michael Redd is out for the season, if anyone loses to them, they didn't deserve to make it anyhow.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

After a really harsh month plus, you now have the last 2 wins (all of Boston's starters sat IIRC) plus teams like the Wiz without GA/Butler and MIL without Redd as probably the nicest patch of the whole season.

I don't consider this backing in, I consider it schedule issues just like March. They were due for a soft patch after that nasty run. So they catch teams hurting or with little to play for, other teams got to play teams in those situations earlier in the season while the Pacers faced a lot of tough games.