Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will you deem this season a success if the Pacers lose in the ECF?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Will you deem this season a success if the Pacers lose in the ECF?

Let's face it -- none of us want to lose. But will you consider this a successful season regardless of whether we win or lose this series? Will it take at least a win or 2 or 3 in the ECF?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Default Re: Will you deem this season a success if the Pacers lose in the ECF?

Immediately afterwards, I'll be calling for the heads of whomever fails to step up and saying it was a horrible season.

I don't know how I'll feel once the murderous rage dies down.

My expectations have been raised. I'm expecting the NBA Finals, now, and I want a ring for Reggie.

It's their own fault, if they'd played a decent year (50-54 wins) and had gotten this far on two 4-2 or a 4-3 series, I'd be demanding less.

To be the best - you gotta expect the best.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Booger

Before the season started, I would have said making the ECF would constitute a successful season.

That said, the Pacers set the bar higher for themselves by winning 61 games in the regular season. Now, I will view anything less than a Finals appearance as a disappointment.

We got out of the first round!

We played good ball all year and fought hard in the Playoffs.
    This team is not playoff hardend yet so anything more is just special to me.

Ofcourse we want more though and it's not like we would be a cinderella story if we made it to the finals.

Bottom line...there is still alot of basketball to be played for this team

Need to be in THE Finals!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Losing in the ECF to me is a good season...
    Losing in the Finals is a great season...
    WINNING the Finals is a Success!!!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

LAPacer

i agree 100%

My expectations for this season were for the Pacers to make it to the ECF. So yes, I'll consider this a successful season. I would like more of course, but I'm happy. If the Pacers don't give any effort and get beat like a stepchild I'll be unhappy. If the effort is there and the team falls short, then that's okay with me.

Mood

More or less. The only way I think long-term I could be upset at this point is if we somehow humiliate ourselves. You know, if we get swept by an average of 14ppg, or we lose our composure in a huge, embarassing way.

Other than that, I don't think I can gripe too much.

Of course, I will expect more next season.

This has definitely been a successful season. Pacers took care of business during the season and in the playoffs. However, I think that how the ECF plays out will be a big factor. If the Pacers were to get swept, for instance, the positivity would be gone. It's got to 6-7 games for the Pacers to have the success that the fans want, unless of course they win in less. As long as they fight fight fight, the fans should be satisfied.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I will be very disappointed, but I'll definitely still call it a successful season. Best Pacer record ever, getting out of the first round for the first time with this group, the whole team growing up are all great steps for the future.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Any time yer team goes far in the playoffs and doesn't win it all is disappointing. But that doesn't mean the season wasn't successful. It's a successful season if you maintain or improved upon the success of the previous season. But there are other factors involved too... like... did your team suffer season-ending injuries to your 2 best players in the beginning of the season and still managed a first-round playoff loss after making the ECF the previous year? That's a success considering the factors (you lost your 2 best players early on).

So it's really all relative. This season is obviously a success compared to last year, and really it was a success the day we got 1 win more than last year's team. It was a success when we advanced to the 2nd round (after falling in the 1st round for 3 straight seasons).

Everything after that is bonus, and I for one am super happy my team is still playing in soon-to-be June and has trophy-aspirations. Can't ask for much more. I do hope they win, but it's not a life-or-death scenario, and if they don't I'll still congratulate them on a fine season, and "try again next year". That is, after all, why we're all still here.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Yes.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

canyoufeelit

Yes. With this young core group, we're going to be a top team for a long time and will have plenty of chances over the years.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

My criteria is that its only a "successful" season if the Pacers win the Championship.

However, since this team, as presently assembled, had never been out of the first round before, I'm very pleased with the progress.

Its unrealistic to expect a team to go from a first-round exit all the way to The Finals in one season. Ironically, two teams have a chance to that right now.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Tim

If the Pacers didn't make it out of the first round I would say the team is on the right track, but not satisfied.

To be honest I think the team hasn't paid enough dues to win it all yet, and will get spanked by the Lakers in the finals. It will be another learning experience and I think deep down Donnie and Larry expect this and are pleased with the progress.

JO, Ron, Tins, Jeff, Al, 5.1, Freddy, these guys are all still around the age of 25. Usually a team this young doesn't make it to the conference finals.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Second place is for losers.

Saying that...I'm with Hicks and Tim. It depends on how we finsih the series. Embarrass ourselves and I'm gonna be looking for replacements. Go out with honor and I can accept it. I will be majorly upset if the team does not keep it's composure and shows immaturity (see Miami loss).

I hope I am shown very wrong, but I think we are about see why I was calling for the addition of another big man to the roster all year, and why I was so upset when we didn't do it. We got by Boston and Miami because they didn't have the bigs...from here on out we are about to be exposed

As for the paying your dues...we've caught Detroit in the year their dues were paid...hopefully their check will bounce. Can we beat em??? Yes, IF we don't let the interior defense intimidate us and IF our outside shot comes back.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

No way. They have played too well this season, and talked too much about getting Reggie his ring to consider this season a success if they aren't even competing for the ring.

Competing for championship is the only place this team has to go.

However, I would consider this season a success for the T-wolves. Especially because they are about to get their asses handed to them by the Lakers.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

I, like most on here, will be disappointed if the Pacers lose in the ECF. I consider it a successful season even if they lose as long they lose doing 3 things:

1. Playing hard, giving maximum effort.
    2. Running the offense the way they most of the season. None of this pass once - shoot, go one on one - shoot crap that cost them 2 games against Miami.
    3. Playing agressive hard nosed defense.

If they do these 3 things and still lose then I'll have to say that the Pistons are the better team. If they don't, then I'll have to say this team choked it away.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

My criteria is that its only a "successful" season if the Pacers win the Championship.

However, since this team, as presently assembled, had never been out of the first round before, I'm very pleased with the progress.

Its unrealistic to expect a team to go from a first-round exit all the way to The Finals in one season. Ironically, two teams have a chance to that right now.

There it is. Every team that has won a title paid their dues by going deep into the playoffs for a couple of years, pounding on the door before finally busting it open. Detroit's been to the ECF before. Indy hasn't. That counts for something.

I think the Pacers have already had a satisfactory season from the standpoint of team progress. But the only true success means David Stern shows up at your opening game in Oct to hand out rings.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

i agree 100%
    I agree also!

Mood

If the Pacers didn't make it out of the first round I would say the team is on the right track,
    :

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

There it is. Every team that has won a title paid their dues by going deep into the playoffs for a couple of years, pounding on the door before finally busting it open. Detroit's been to the ECF before. Indy hasn't. That counts for something.
    I know this is the Conventional Wisdom, but (last season's meltdown aside) we were beaten by the same teams in 2001 and 2002 that beat the teams who went deeper into the playoffs than we did.

I consider the 5 game series against New Jersey in 2002 as the equivalent of any Conference Finals series I've seen. Had we been seeded one position differently that year, who knows what might have been.

The question is not "do the Pacers have the experience to have gone 'x' deep into the playoffs." To me, it's "Do they have the maturity to avoid falling apart under pressure." I think they learned that from the collapse last year.

Bottom line is that they have played well in the playoffs for two out of the last three years, losing to the eventual Conference Champions each of those times. The flaw that was exposed last year seems to have been fixed. How far they went has less meaning to me than how well they played when they got there.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Graywolf_59

I would be Pissed off if we don't win it all........Let's get the Trophy and Reggie-(Mr Pacer) his ring -(Which he deserve's) this year.He doesn't have but 2-4 yrs. left in his NBA career.......we (Might) not get back here for a few yrs.Reggie has been very Loyal to the Simon Bros-Pacer's Org.for all these yrs....Let's do it this year and Reggie can Claim to being a NBA ChAMPION!

It will be a successful season. Our on court play is WORLD's better than last season. The focus and maturity have improved as well. We can now seriously talk about immediate ECF's and NBA Final without looking like homers and fools.

That said, if we do lose to Detroit we have to look at the 11th hr trade that Detroit made to shore themselves up and get past us. I don't believe they were getting past us had they not done that. The Pacers were in a good/bad position because we were out front already so had the option of standing pat. We also had the Artest situation flare up (injury) at a bad time. IMHO, that took Harrington off the block and locked our lineup in even if the team had thoughts of making a move.

Will Detroit be able to keep that team together this summer? Will we be forced to upgrade to compete or will we seek to 'be patient and grow from within'?

We have something to build on. Will we?

EDIT: The season is a success in that we cleared up past problems and moved forward in attempting to find ultimate success (NBA Championship).
    While successful in that regard (clearing hurdles and becoming contenders) let's hope players and management are not satisified with anything less than ultimate success.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden