Thread: Trade with Portland?

Default Trade with Portland?

Portland needs a SF and if they don't land a top 3 pick they'll probably look at trading it. Other players of value that could be available are Jarrett Jack, Martell Webster and of course Zach Randolph. The Blazers like Jack and Webster a lot but they aren't viewed as critical players to the teams future core of Roy and Aldridge.

Granger seems like someone the Blazers would have a lot of interest in. How much value does Granger have to Indy? What would it take to get him to Portland?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Trade with Portland?

I honestly think the Blazers would want Granger enough that if we paired him with Harrison they would give us Jack and their first round pick

Indiana Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Danny Granger
    6-8 PF from New Mexico
    13.5 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 1.3 apg in 33.6 minutes
    David Harrison
    7-0 C from Colorado
    2.9 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.2 apg in 7.7 minutes
    Incoming
    Jarrett Jack
    6-3 PG from Georgia Tech
    11.7 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 5.4 apg in 34.0 minutes
    Sergio Rodriguez
    6-3 PG from Spain (Foreign)
    3.3 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 3.3 apg in 12.0 minutes
    Portlands 1st Rd pick.

Portland Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Jarrett Jack
    6-3 PG from Georgia Tech
    Sergio Rodriguez
    6-3 PG from Spain (Foreign)
    3.3 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 3.3 apg in 12.0 minutes
    1st round pick
    Incoming
    Danny Granger
    6-8 PF from New Mexico
    13.5 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 1.3 apg in 33.6 minutes
    David Harrison
    7-0 C from Colorado
    2.9 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.2 apg in 7.7 minutes
    Change in team outlook: +1.4 ppg, +2.5 rpg, and -7.2 apg.

Successful Scenario
    Due to Indiana and Portland being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Indiana and Portland had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

I could live with this personally

Certainly, we could all live with it. And I like Granger a lot.

But I thought the word out of Portland was that Jack was untouchable?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

streets ahead

they're not going to give up BOTH their great PGs. judging from their RealGM boards, they don't like roy at the point and if they had to trade jack or sergio they'd rather if they must give up sergio.

JO's name has been tossed around quite a bit and very few have an interest in trading for him (and the few that do all think we'd take zach randolph for him because JO is in the twilight of his career).
    This is the darkest timeline.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Certainly, we could all live with it. And I like Granger a lot.

But I thought the word out of Portland was that Jack was untouchable?
    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    they're not going to give up BOTH their great PGs. judging from their RealGM boards, they don't like roy at the point and if they had to trade jack or sergio they'd rather if they must give up sergio.

JO's name has been tossed around quite a bit and very few have an interest in trading for him (and the few that do all think we'd take zach randolph for him because JO is in the twilight of his career).
    I was reading that they view Roy as more of a 1 than a 2 and think Jack is expendable. Sergio is untouchable. The man is an assist machine. There's no way they would give up both of them up for Granger and Hulk. They might bight on the 1st and Jack though. Some posters on Real GM were saying that they would need to give up more than Jack to get Granger but would they give up their first?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

between jarrett jack and sergio rodriguez, i think rodriguez is viewed as having the higher upside. jack is more consistent and is the better defender though, so he starts for the blazers. still, if the blazers trade one of them, it's likelier to be jack.

danny definitely has more value than jack, but these days pg's tend to be a little overvalued in trades (pg is the new c). jack + 2nd round pick is probably closer to what the blazers would offer for danny.

i'd hate to give up on granger, but we need to balance the roster eventually...

Sergio aside, I'd trade Granger and Harrison for Jack and their pick in a heartbeat. I'd take Jack as our starting point guard today and be happy about it. Shawne's improving so quickly that I can easily imagine him as our starting SF next year. If he's not ready, there's always DunDun, who would be much more palatable as a SF than at SG.

EDIT: Wow, I didn't realize their pick was that high. We'd have to include more than Harrison. If they'd take Harrison and Granger for Jack and their pick, there's no way you could turn that down.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

That trade would elicit a lot of laughs from the Blazers. Jack is coveted by a lot of teams, and Rodriguez has even MORE trade value, despite the fact that Jack starts over him. Sergio has TONS of upside and might develop into an all-star PG...it really could happen.

Granger is destined to be a journeyman 3, I don't think he'll ever become an NBA household-name type player. If he gets on the right team he might do well, but he might not ever exceed his current production.

Harrison is completely worthless by NBA standards. The blazers already have 3 post players who are MUCH better.

1 - Jack is very available for Portland. Roy is the defacto PG and they love Rodriguez. Its known they are looking to deal him for a SF.

2 - Portland would deal Jack for Granger in a heartbeat straight up.

3 - No way Indy deals away Granger. He's the apple of the FO eye. He and Diogu are as safe as safe can get.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by 2Cleva View Post
    1 - Jack is very available for Portland. Roy is the defacto PG and they love Rodriguez. Its known they are looking to deal him for a SF.
    maybe this is true. but what i read on the boards recently at RealGM is that they felt having roy play the 1 was like having tinsley play the 2.

maybe this is true. but what i read on the boards recently at RealGM is that they felt having roy play the 1 was like having tinsley play the 2.
    Not to disrespect any forum but a fans view is not equivalent to a team's view. I've heard more than this about Jack's availability but here are 2 documented references.

Back to the Blazers for a minute. How about this little post-game nugget from the infamous rumor mill. The word is the Blazers love former Tech star Jarrett Jack, but think Brandon Roy is really a PG (and they have ample insurance in promising rookie Sergio Rodriguez), and might be willing to part with Jack for a much-needed small forward can you think of a team loaded with small forwards that is in dire need of a young point guard? Jack is solid. His only real weakness right now is his outside stroke, which is streaky at best. But he can run a team, knows how to take charge late in games and is the ultimate facilitator for NBA teams because his ego is already in check (hes not busy trying to show hes the man all the time, which is the curse of some young PGs).
    http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha...l_grahams.html

*Udoka's return to the lineup might not be the only change. McMillan said he is contemplating making a change at point guard before Wednesday's game.

"There's a chance there could be (a change),'' McMillan said.

Regular starter Jarrett Jack played only 10 minutes in the Clippers game and has been struggling throughout the last month of the season, allowing more time for backups Dan Dickau and Sergio Rodriguez.

McMillan said he will use Monday and Tuesday's practices to see who plays the hardest, after which he will make a determination of who will start during Wednesday's shootaround.

"These next two practices are basically to look at guys, and see who gets after each other,'' McMillan said. "And that's how I will play the games.''
    http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindbla...s_changes.html

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
    I don't think he'll ever become an NBA household-name type player. If he gets on the right team he might do well, but he might not ever exceed his current production.
    So? Same could be true of Jack.

Enjoy your time at PD!

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by 2Cleva View Post
    Not to disrespect any forum but a fans view is not equivalent to a team's view. I've heard more than this about Jack's availability but here are 2 documented references.
    as true as that is the same can be said about teams painting a more rosy picture (bird on cover with artest) while people who watch the team closer (and perhaps are dedicated enough to count their coach's play-calling) tend to cut thru the bull. you can get a general sense of players by reading a lot of opinion of fans who have something different invested than owners/GMs.

as true as that is the same can be said about teams painting a more rosy picture (bird on cover with artest) while people who watch the team closer (and perhaps are dedicated enough to count their coach's play-calling) tend to cut thru the bull. you can get a general sense of players by reading a lot of opinion of fans who have something different invested than owners/GMs.
    Yes, you often do get something different about a player from fans. However that difference is rarely what decisions are based upon.

I won't go any deeper into this debate but if theoretically Granger for Jack was on the table from the Indy POV, Portland would be all on it. But if it was the other way around, Indy passes and offers anyone else.

Indiana Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Jeff Foster
    6-11 C from Southwest Texas State
    4.2 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 0.7 apg in 23.3 minutes
    Danny Granger
    6-8 PF from New Mexico
    13.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.3 apg in 33.7 minutes
    Incoming
    Martell Webster
    6-7 SF from Seattle Prep (HS)
    6.9 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.6 apg in 20.9 minutes
    Dan Dickau
    6-0 PG from Gonzaga
    2.9 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 1.2 apg in 8.1 minutes
    Jarrett Jack
    6-3 PG from Georgia Tech
    Change in team outlook: +3.8 ppg, -6.6 rpg, and +5.2 apg.

Portland Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Martell Webster
    6-7 SF from Seattle Prep (HS)
    6.9 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.6 apg in 20.9 minutes
    Dan Dickau
    6-0 PG from Gonzaga
    2.9 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 1.2 apg in 8.1 minutes
    Jarrett Jack
    6-3 PG from Georgia Tech
    Incoming
    Jeff Foster
    6-11 C from Southwest Texas State
    4.2 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 0.7 apg in 23.3 minutes
    Danny Granger
    6-8 PF from New Mexico
    13.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.3 apg in 33.7 minutes
    Change in team outlook: -3.8 ppg, +6.6 rpg, and -5.2 apg.

streets ahead

another proposed trade i found by a blazers fan...

Portland: Zach, Freddie, Dickau, and Jack for Jermaine and Reggie Evans

Portland lands O'neal and a solid backup 4 without losing too much.

Roy/Rodriguez
    Webster/Roy/Udoka
    Pick/Outlaw/Udoka
    Aldridge/Evans/Lafrentz
    Oneal/Przybilla/Lafrentz

Denver: Nene, Najera, and Evans for Zach and Jamaal Tinsley

Denver gets an excellent low-post scorer to complete their championship contender. Randolph makes the nuggets an extremely scary offensive team that would be a threat to score 130 on any night.

Blake/Tinsley
    Iverson/Smith
    Anthony/Kleiza
    Randolph/Martin
    Canby/Sampson

Indiana: Jermaine and Tinsley for Nene, Jack, Dickau (Expiring), Najera (Expiring) and Jones (Expiring).

Indiana gets young talent and expirings while getting rid of the last of the old bad contracts.

Jack/Mcleod/Armstrong
    Daniels/Pick
    Granger/Dunleavy
    Murphy/Diogu
    Nene/Foster/Harrison
    okay this would get rid of tinsley and get us jarrett jack, definite plus.

dickau is a decent backup im not sure if he'd better than mcleod or greene (overall, i know he's a better shooter than either)

exp contracts are nice, mainly because i think we'll still have rebuilding to do midseason and hopefully if we have all these exp we won't be gunshy like a TON of teams in the NBA were (ahem chicago)

im not a nene fan, but the $ difference has to be made up somewhere. portland would LOVE to trade darius miles and zach randolph but i can imagine no circumstances in which the pacers trade for either. same deal with denver and kenyon martin. nene is the only one with the $$$ without all the baggage and image problems.

i don't love this trade but if it were out there you'd have to think about it

jack / dickau* / armstrong
    daniels / williams / jones*
    granger / dunleavy / najera*
    murphy / diogu / baston
    nene / foster / harrison

i don't see that as a fantastic roster but might put us in position to make a good move at the deadline (maybe involving murphy's contract and the exp.*)

I'd like that last trade alot more if we got Portlands 1st round pick. As it is I think they are making out like bandits.

I'm not sure that Denver would really want Randolph and Martin as their two PFs, both on max contracts and with questionable attitudes. I also dont think Denver would be willing to have 4 players on max/near max contracts, even if it allowed them to win their division I dont think they would be contenders in the West with that team, just not enough defense.

streets ahead

about denver and contracts... i was wondering about that too since they've already got martin, iverson to big deals. i think they may buy out martin if they can't trade him this summer. he doesn't get along with karl and certainly hasn't given them much the last two years. one thing randolph would give them that martin and nene don't is a big-time scorer. remember it is rumored that denver wants a big like jermaine so the money aspect is something they'd have to figure out but are at least considering.

honestly i dont think that is how you fix denver, but if they're interested in jermaine they're at least considering adding a big with a large contract who is a scorer.

also i'd like a 1st rounder too but i think the best we could hope for would be a 2nd or a 1st in '08. i wouldn't say portland makes out like bandits. i mean, obviously jermaine would be a nice get but evans doesn't add a whole lot. they give up jack, randolph, dickau, jones for a 30 year old with a history of nagging injuries with a big contract. and then if you look at that front line, thats quite a fragile bunch (JO, pryz, lafr). and those exp contracts could have really helped them at the deadline. but anyway, when i saw it i thought it was a little ridiculous, but the more i looked at it the more it actually made sense.