Thread: Who will be fired next (San Antonio Express-News)

streets ahead

Default Who will be fired next (San Antonio Express-News)

rick is on the list at 4:1 odds, but mentions seattle

Mike Monroe's analysis: Who will be fired next
    Web Posted: 03/31/2007 08:38 PM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Here are the top five candidates for the unemployment line among coaches, with odds on their being dismissed. We will leave Bernie Bickerstaff and Tony Barone out of the equation since we already know they won't be back next season.

1-5 — Bob Hill, SuperSonics: Hill last week stated his case for a new contract, saying he always has left a footprint wherever he has coached, including in Indiana and the Spurs. His contract is up in June, and the only footprint will be owner Clay Bennett's on Hill's behind after he gives him the boot.

3-1 — Eric Musselman, Kings: Musselman's first season in Sacramento went awry with his arrest for driving while intoxicated before he had coached a game. Things never improved much, and there are whispers about the players "tuning out" Musselman. You have to wonder why the Maloof family interviewed only Musselman, Mario Elie and John Whisenant, who coaches their WNBA team, before hiring Musselman.

4-1 — Rick Carlisle, Pacers: The Pacers have been in a funk since the All-Star break and it looks like they will miss the playoffs. Carlisle may be held accountable. The good news: Rumor has it he will land in Seattle after Hill is let go.

6-1 — Randy Wittman, Timberwolves: The Wolves fired Dwane Casey when they were 20-20 and made Wittman interim coach, with the understanding he would get a shot at the job on a permanent basis. Since then they have gone 10-22 and Kevin Garnett isn't happy.

10-1 — Brian Hill, Magic: Hill has received the dreaded vote of confidence from GM Otis Smith, which is reason enough to put him on the list. He also has a contract through 2008-09, which is why his odds are highest on this list.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...s.2a4b134.html
    This is the darkest timeline.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who will be fired next (San Antonio Express-News)

What if he got hired by I dunno say, the Kings?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What if he got hired by I dunno say, the Kings?
    Wouldn't matter casue Artest is retiring after this season...

Sports Logo

No way anyone with Ron Artest on the team would hire Rick.

I could See Ray Allen being ok with him since he knew how to feature Reggie.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    No way anyone with Ron Artest on the team would Rick interview for.
    Fixed.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I could See Ray Allen being ok with him since he knew how to feature Reggie.
    this was my thought about rick going to the bucks. plus rick seems to have a central division fetish...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    this was my thought about rick going to the bucks. plus rick seems to have a central division fetish...
    You mean because of Redd? RayRay is a Sonic.

Seattle is on track for a top 8 pick this year, they have solid scoring talent including pretty good shooters in Lewis and Allen. They could easily be better than the Pacers next year if Indy dumps RC and he goes out West.

Boy, won't that be fun. I love seeing every single thing that was right about the team slowly torn off it till it becomes the new Hawks.

Just look at Minny. What happened to them? They parted ways with Spree and Cassell, got a high draft pick, changed coaches...looking good.

Apparently Indy liked how they looked so much last year they decided to try and follow their lead. Top 2 teams just 3 seasons ago.

The good news? Bob Hill, Brian Hill, Randy Wittman and Eric Mussleman might all be available. If they truly want to follow Minny they'll just bring in Randy.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wittman > Carlisle.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    Krystkowiak is at Milwaukee to stay. In case you haven't heard, they signed him to a two year deal very shortly after they fired Stotts. It was almost as if that was what they had in mind all along. It's too bad. Krysko's a hell of a coach and is someone I would have loved for the Pacers to look at if they did fire Carlisle.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Wittman > Carlisle.
    Whoa, let's not say things we can't take back.

1-5 ? Bob Hill, SuperSonics: Hill last week stated his case for a new contract, saying he always has left a footprint wherever he has coached, including in Indiana and the Spurs. His contract is up in June, and the only footprint will be owner Clay Bennett's on Hill's behind after he gives him the boot.
    Bob Hill is a joke. I don't know how he keeps getting work.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Wittman > Carlisle.
    You MAD! (Doggie?)

2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Carlisle would probably do well in Seattle. Lewis, Allen, Ridnour/Watson, Wilcox, and Collison is a solid core, not to mention young guys like Petro, Sene and that Jelly Bean guy. Throw in a top 10 pick and RC would have some players to work with.

Leaves the Pacers open. I would want Adelman, Larry Brown (again), or give Mark Jackson and shot if he wanted to get into coaching. Point guard coaching seem to be doing alright. Cheeks, Avery Johnson, Skiles...etc. Yeah I know that's not always the case like with Isiah.. but he did have a winning record here, just couldn't cut it come playoff time.

Sports Logo

I want a coach that preaches defense. With the exception of one team ( and they are a huge exception cuz they have the only PG in the league that can actually run that offense correct ), all the top teams actually play very solid defense.

If JONeal goes....I would prefer that Carlisle stays.

But if JONeal stays....then I would prefer that Carlisle leaves...or is moved up to Upper Management and start doing whatever his made-up title entitles him to do.

As to who that coach is...I have no clue.....I just want to play good-old fashioned defense again.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I want a coach that preaches defense. With the exception of one team ( and they are a huge exception cuz they have the only PG in the league that can actually run that offense correct ), all the top teams actually play very solid defense.

If JONeal goes....I would prefer that Carlisle stays.

But if JONeal stays....then I would prefer that Carlisle leaves...or is moved up to Upper Management and start doing whatever his made-up title entitles him to do.

As to who that coach is...I have no clue.....I just want to play good-old fashioned defense again.
    This team is simply not capable of playing good defense. You have to play to your strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    This team is simply not capable of playing good defense.
    I refuse to believe that. If Jeff Van Gundy were to become the Pacers coach next season and the Pacers players were the exact same as they are now - Jeff would get them to play defense - they would be certainly in the top 7 or 8.

As I've said for years the biggest area where you can tell if a team is well coached - look at their team defense. That is the area where coaching as the biggest impact

streets ahead

first seth...yes i meant because of redd and featuring him, the way ray would be featured or how reggie was.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Krystkowiak is at Milwaukee to stay. In case you haven't heard, they signed him to a two year deal very shortly after they fired Stotts. It was almost as if that was what they had in mind all along. It's too bad. Krysko's a hell of a coach and is someone I would have loved for the Pacers to look at if they did fire Carlisle.
    actually i didn't realize that he signed anything with the bucks. so thanks for the info.

You guys crack me up.

Wittman has never had any good players to work with. Neither has Mike Woodson.

They're both young, and bright. Give them time and a better team.

Comparing Rick with Randy Wittman is an insult to Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I refuse to believe that. If Jeff Van Gundy were to become the Pacers coach next season and the Pacers players were the exact same as they are now - Jeff would get them to play defense - they would be certainly in the top 7 or 8.

As I've said for years the biggest area where you can tell if a team is well coached - look at their team defense. That is the area where coaching as the biggest impact
    Sure, the coaching plays a big part in a team's defensive prowess, but you still can't make pizza without cheese, tomato sauce, and flour.

There isn't a single coach out there that can turn this current team into a top 8 defense.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    Sure, the coaching plays a big part in a team's defensive prowess, but you still can't make pizza without cheese, tomato sauce, and flour.

There isn't a single coach out there that can turn this current team into a top 8 defense.
    I agree with you and UncleBuck on this. Half the battle is having a coach like Carlisle that is capable of emphasizing defense ( as UB said ).....but the other half is having players that know how to play defense and can make stops ( as you suggest ).

Unfortunately, the current lineup doesn't have any real players that are capable of playing solid defense. But that doesn't mean that something can't be done in the offseason to help address that. We were a top defensive team over the last 2 seasons.....but with the given roster that we have...what can we do to get us back there?

My hope is that this is somehow addressed this offseason.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Wittman > Carlisle.
    Jay ^ Shark

You guys crack me up.

Wittman has never had any good players to work with. Neither has Mike Woodson.

They're both young, and bright. Give them time and a better team.
    Minny pre-Wittman this year 20-20
    Minny with Wittman this year 11-23

Now why did they fire Casey again?

And let's look at some of the details from the ESPN report of the coaching change
    Link
    A classy and soft-spoken personality, Casey was given just 1˝ seasons in his first head coaching job. He went 33-49 in his first year, a season made more difficult by an eight-player trade in midseason that upset team chemistry.

"Every time you thought, 'I just don't know how this is going to go,' we'd turn around and win three or four in a row," McHale said. "With 42 games left to go, we wanted to make sure Randy had the time to get things going."
    Yeah, how's that "getting things going" working out for you McHale? I can only pray that Bird learns from McHale's mistakes and impatience rather than following his lead even more.

BTW, Wittman also took over a not great Cavs team, added Andre Miller, and then lost much more than Fratello had been. That coaching change only put the Cavs into FOUR STRAIGHT sub-.400 seasons before finally winning the lottery and getting James. Of course for the Pacers that might mean that the HAWKS would get James as the pick would stay protected until then. Hmm, what a feel good story of the year that would be.

Sorry, I have to agree with Shade. It's not about the rotations, it's about quickness and agility. A guy like Dun does try to be aggressive and close out/keep tight on guys. But we saw last night where a simple crossover on him created about 9 feet of space as he went flailing to the wrong direction (I think Murray did this to him).

People talk about Tinsley off the dribble, but honestly a bigger problem has been Murph and Dun getting torched off the dribble by other bigs. They don't even have to PnR them like they do Tinsley. That brings JO to help and that leaves a guy behind him open for a dunk.

Granger and even Shawne are still prone to fakes. And speaking of Granger, he's getting dusted when guys run off screens on him. RC tried to use him on Rip/Billups and the Pistons just punished that using curls and other screens.

You have 2 strong defensive talents - JO and Greene. Foster is a decent defender. Everything else is average at best. That's a huge issue. Team quickness (not speed) is a big problem now, and they also don't have guys as willing to be physical on defense.

Plus let's look at the team post-trade with and without Quis.

With 6-3
    Without 6-20

Probably just a coincidence, it's really just RC's fault.

Comparing Rick with Randy Wittman is an insult to Rick.
    Comparing Wittman's players to Rick's players is an insult to Rick's players.