Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacers vs. Spurs Post-Game Thread: Do you believe in miracles?

Default Re: Pacers vs. Spurs Post-Game Thread: Do you believe in miracles?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really don't get this at all. I can understand people wanting the team to lose this year, but not next year. Who wants two seasons of garbage?

As for the draft, we could draft a big stud this year and trade assets for a back court player or another pick. People seem to forget that this is like a double draft. The quality is likely to be higher than next year. I know we are loaded in the front court, but what better time to unload JO for a solid back court player or two. Ike seems to handle the PF position pretty well and if we draft another big, we should be set and ready to send JO on his way...or keep JO and package up Foster and Williams or Granger for an upgrade in the back court.

In any event, I want to win it all next year...unless Tinsley is our PG.

Amen!!!

=)

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    I've just always thought that Tins is a pretty clutch player. I do feel he attempts to step up and help the team when he is asked to. Meh, I'm a Tins lover at heart I guess.
    He's easily the most willing to attempt, but I'm not sure if he's ever hit a game winner for us. I'm guessing tonight was the first time, unless someone can remember another.

BTW,

Did anyone catch Shawne Williams doing the "Marbles" Dance (from the movie Major League II) after Tinsley's layup? And then he went up to Joe Crawford a few moments later, with Tinsley standing next to him and listening, and told Joey how good that play was? It almost matched his comment to David Harrison after SJax hit that three against Golden State ("we're going to be on SportsCenter").

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPacersLeft View Post
    it's on espn?I think it's only on NBA tv...:-/
    but wowwowowowo! I went to the magic game tonight vs the wolves and i thought for sure the wolves were dead in the water...trailing by 5 with just over a minute to go...Then they win in OT! woot! thank u ricky davis!
    1 1/2 games out now! wow...just amazing! LETS DO THE DAMN THING!
    hmm...Indiana wants to win....Detroit wants Indiana to win....

Somehow I think we'll both be disappointed.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

this win felt so weird. i wanted to be happy, but i couldn't although i knew i was deep inside but i wasn't quite sure. is this really a good win? i wanted us to win, but i wanted us to lose to. huh? have the Pacers completely messed up my mind? i'd talk smack with u Kstat, but this simply isn't the Pacers team I'd die for. Your Pistons are going down on the second round though. BELIEVE THAT!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

May I ask why? In my mind I have always thought Tins to be a pretty clutch player. He has probably hit more game winning shots than anyone else on the team at this point.
    I don't think he's hit a single one till tonight. I just called him ANTI-clutch in another thread before this game. His problem has been finishing out, and this season alone he probably has 5-6 really horrible 4th quarters, like 0-5 or worse situations. Typically those come after he's had a great first half or even 3/4 of a game.

In the "Wells- effort" thread I said this even
    That's what I mean about Tins dialed in. He's struggling to MAKE shots at times, especially in the 2nd halves of games. But he is getting good looks almost at will.

Right now I find myself HOPING for Mel Mel, enjoying Mel Mel, because it's the good version (if the shots were falling). I saw him do something he hasn't been doing recently, catch a pass at the arc, FAKE and then dribble in to a closer look.

Stuff like that and other plays look like MelMel in good form, trying to take over and make something out of just nothing. He's not playing out of control angry like bad MelMel, the one that gets baited into one-upmanship.
    Good MelMel finally got one to fall for him. If he could drop those shots more often he'd be an Indy favorite for sure. He gets free about as easily as Quis, he just doesn't TYPICALLY finish like Quis.

It was freaking beautiful to see it happen tonight, glad he put it in my face just after I'd decided that his problem was 4th quarters. Go figure.

Not to mention that he then made a monster defensive play at the other end to basically kill any chance the Spurs might have had to steal it back. Brilliant effort by Tins.

Of course it helps when Dun and Troy are hitting their jumpers. Scrap points don't pressure the defense even if they make your box look modestly okay.

I and several others said even after the ORL loss, it didn't look like they quit on us. The effort has been there, just not the results. Hard to figure the ORL loss followed by the SA win, but I'll take 1-1 out of the pair. Of course beating ORL would have helped their playoff situation more.

It would be nice if they could make a statement vs DET to go with the playoff run. Unfortunately I can't help but feel this might be another fleeting moment of success, not unlike the MIA game.

Consistant execution has been their downfall, especially since the trade.

Wasn't it nice to enjoy a win though, so much better than hoping for a draft pick. I don't care if wins like this keep them out of the draft, the wins are so much more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I don't think he's hit a single one till tonight. I just called him ANTI-clutch in another thread before this game. His problem has been finishing out, and this season alone he probably has 5-6 really horrible 4th quarters, like 0-5 or worse situations. Typically those come after he's had a great first half or even 3/4 of a game.

In the "Wells- effort" thread I said this even

Good MelMel finally got one to fall for him. If he could drop those shots more often he'd be an Indy favorite for sure. He gets free about as easily as Quis, he just doesn't TYPICALLY finish like Quis.

It was freaking beautiful to see it happen tonight, glad he put it in my face just after I'd decided that his problem was 4th quarters. Go figure.

Not to mention that he then made a monster defensive play at the other end to basically kill any chance the Spurs might have had to steal it back. Brilliant effort by Tins.

Of course it helps when Dun and Troy are hitting their jumpers. Scrap points don't pressure the defense even if they make your box look modestly okay.

I and several others said even after the ORL loss, it didn't look like they quit on us. The effort has been there, just not the results. Hard to figure the ORL loss followed by the SA win, but I'll take 1-1 out of the pair. Of course beating ORL would have helped their playoff situation more.

It would be nice if they could make a statement vs DET to go with the playoff run. Unfortunately I can't help but feel this might be another fleeting moment of success, not unlike the MIA game.

Consistant execution has been their downfall, especially since the trade.

Wasn't it nice to enjoy a win though, so much better than hoping for a draft pick. I don't care if wins like this keep them out of the draft, the wins are so much more fun.
    I agree. Let's just hope for playoffs. Worst case scenario they blow it up this summer and we get a top 10 pick next year where we'll have a bigger selection of player to draft. Best case scenario, we get a decent PG, some shooters, and a chance to gel...and presto we got a good team again...yeah...I know.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

BTW, credit given where due. I've been ripping on DA's shot selection. Tonight he was 0-1. It was a 3 of course, but at least he only took 1. And instead we got 6 assists from him. Very nice Army, that's a lot more helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I really don't get this at all. I can understand people wanting the team to lose this year, but not next year. Who wants two seasons of garbage?

As for the draft, we could draft a big stud this year and trade assets for a back court player or another pick. People seem to forget that this is like a double draft. The quality is likely to be higher than next year. I know we are loaded in the front court, but what better time to unload JO for a solid back court player or two. Ike seems to handle the PF position pretty well and if we draft another big, we should be set and ready to send JO on his way...or keep JO and package up Foster and Williams or Granger for an upgrade in the back court.

In any event, I want to win it all next year...unless Tinsley is our PG.
    2 seasons? In my mind, everyone better strap in, because we're taking a relatively longterm pluge and the forseeable future may very well look like the 1980's. Depending on a lot of factors, it might take 3-4 years for the Pacers to contend again.
    Proudly supporting the Indiana Pacers since 1992.

Currently on the Darrell Armstrong, Mike Dunleavy, Jr., and Marquis Daniels bandwagons.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPacersLeft View Post
    it's on espn?I think it's only on NBA tv...:-/
    but wowwowowowo! I went to the magic game tonight vs the wolves and i thought for sure the wolves were dead in the water...trailing by 5 with just over a minute to go...Then they win in OT! woot! thank u ricky davis!
    1 1/2 games out now! wow...just amazing! LETS DO THE DAMN THING!
    My bad...I thought they said on TNT at the end of last night's Suns/Mavs broadcast (not even ESPN)...but espn.com still says NBATV so I'm not sure. But they did it last week, no?

This was a great win. When I just sit around and think about things, I'm always thinking it would be great to have Mike Conley or Acie Law or Corey Brewer on this team. Then I start watching the guys play and all I want is for them to win. Tonight was great.

Congrats to Tinsley. I don't like the guy, but he played maybe the best 10 seconds of his life at the end of the game. I couldn't believe he was actually able to make me forgive the atrocious shot he took on the Pacers second to last possession. Ike set a killer pick on the game winner.

Ike played a great game. His passing looked better than it has and his effort was spectacular.

Murph and Dun made shots. Tins and DA passed. Granger did a bit of everything and did it well.

I don't want to be the "this wouldn't have happened if..." guy, but I'm wondering if having 5 capable offensive players on the floor at all times didn't help the Pacers as much as anything. I like Foster, but I'm sure 4 on 5 gets a bit tough everytime down the court.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

The Future Is Bright JB's Breakout Year's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I'm glad that he did very well against one of the better defensive big Men in the league, but I'm really surprised that they didn't double-team Ike. Someone must have forgotten to read their scouting report on Ike cuz everyone and their Grandmother knows that he has troubles passing out of double-teams.
    I only remember one double team coming his way last night. On that one, he fired an accurate pass to the top of the 3pt line to Armstrong, I believe.

He is a young, intelligent, confident player who works hard, so I have no doubt he will learn how to pass out of the double team. It's not like Jermaine came to the Pacers as a fully polished player .

I like that Ike gives us a post presence without being the focal point. We have him there when it's a good match-up, but we don't start and end 90% of our plays with him, like Carlisle seems to feel obligated to do with JO. (I like JO's game. He's a good player. This is not criticism of JO.)

Did anyone notice Tim "Mr. Fundamental" Duncan's post-game comments:

"They were allowed to be very physical tonight and they were able to get away with stuff and they used it to their advantage."

Let's see...Spurs went to the line 33 times versus the Pacers 22. Who got away with stuff? Seems to me the Spurs had the advantage from the line. They just didn't captialize. C'mon, Timmy-Boy. Home court may have had its advantage, but just accept that you got out-played and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    I don't want to be the "this wouldn't have happened if..." guy, but I'm wondering if having 5 capable offensive players on the floor at all times didn't help the Pacers as much as anything. I like Foster, but I'm sure 4 on 5 gets a bit tough everytime down the court.
    This has been one of my primary complaints for most of the season concerning Foster's play. He comes out to set the pick or the screen, gets the ball but looks immediately to pass it to somebody else. It's like he's scared to take the shot or drive hard to the basket. I've only seen him take the wide opened shot twice this year and it happened to be the last game against the Magic. There was a game not long before that one where he finally drove hard to the basket on a power move that surprised even me! I can't tell you the number of times I've screamed at my TV, "Take the freakin' shot, Jeff!", or "Put the damned ball on the floor w/a power move to the basket, Foster!" The lane would be wide opened. Nobody would be covering Foster at all, and yet he'd never do anything other than pass the ball off. If he'd only show he has some form of a game, maybe the Pacers wouldn't seemingly be playing 4-5 so often w/him on the floor.

Love the guy, but my goodness!

(Sidenote: I've looked for highlights from that game on SportsCenter/ESPNews all evening and well into this morning prior to coming to work and found none...zero! I admit I wasn't able to sit and watch all of SportsCenter on either occassion, but I would purposely try to sit through a segment I watched during a previous sitting on into the next to where I'm fairly confident I've viewed at least 90% of the show from yesterday. Point here is, unless I've just missed the Pacers' 15 second of fame, they got no respect again last night even when the win came against the likes of the Spurs no less.)

The Future Is Bright JB's Breakout Year's Avatar

Anybody else notice the little exchange between Tinsley and Parker in the 2nd half?:

Everybody sees Carlisle call the time out to either stop a run or try to keep us close (I don't remember which), so both teams slow down and start walking to their benches.

Tinsley, like he usually does, accelerates like he's going to the rim. Parker thinks he still has to play defense, and he gets in front of him.

JT just runs right over him. Knocks him on his ***. Then he just tosses the ball to the ref, not even looking Parker's way (forget about helping him up). Parker gets up and you can see him looking back at JT like, "What the **** did he just do to me? I'm Tony Parker!"

Tinsley's attitude hasn't done us a lot of good for the most part, but the next time he backs down from another player will be the first. Something minor, but the team seemed to be unimpressed with the mighty Spurs.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

Does no one else remember the game against the Heat post brawl? I swear he hit a game winner in that game over Wade.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Does no one else remember the game against the Heat post brawl? I swear he hit a game winner in that game over Wade.
    That sent it to OT, then Reg hit a 3 to open OT and they cruised to victory......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

One of the things I really liked about Tinsley's game winner was where Ike was.

He set the pick up high, and it was a really good pick.

Then, at the end of the play, when the camera was focusing on Tinsley and his layup going in, you could see Ike enter the picture in the lane with nobody between him and the basket.

I have no doubt that if Tinsley's layup had come off of the front of the rim, Ike would have slammed it home for the win.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    That sent it to OT, then Reg hit a 3 to open OT and they cruised to victory......
    Ok yeah thats right.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    One of the things I really liked about Tinsley's game winner was where Ike was.

He set the pick up high, and it was a really good pick.

Then, at the end of the play, when the camera was focusing on Tinsley and his layup going in, you could see Ike enter the picture in the lane with nobody between him and the basket.

I have no doubt that if Tinsley's layup had come off of the front of the rim, Ike would have slammed it home for the win.
    I saw all that as well and that was my thought.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Are you sure you're not thinking about the game where SJax's 3 sent the Heat game into overtime?

I definitely remember that game now. Thanks for reminding indy0731. Tinsley won that game for us with his fourth quarter. And even if that shot sent us into overtime, it was the same type of situation; a clutch shot. That was the one where he drove into the lane, stopped, froze his man, and sort of jumped backwards on a small teardrop. So, even if it wasn't a game-winner, it was still as clutch as yesterday's shot.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Are you sure you're not thinking about the game where SJax's 3 sent the Heat game into overtime?

I definitely remember that game now. Thanks for reminding indy0731. Tinsley won that game for us with his fourth quarter. And even if that shot sent us into overtime, it was the same type of situation; a clutch shot. That was the one where he drove into the lane, stopped, froze his man, and sort of jumped backwards on a small teardrop. So, even if it wasn't a game-winner, it was still as clutch as yesterday's shot.
    Yes, I believe ended up with like 27 points with 10 or 12 of them in the 4th.

I know I'm late, but WooHoo! I was at a buddy's house watching it, and this girl that I had just met called me as soon as Tinsley hit the layup. LOL all she heard as soon as I picked up was OOOHHH!! **** Yeah!!! she's was just like ummm hello? LOL

I'll admit that when I heard JO was inactive I figured we would get blown out, but with my Pacer Pride, I had to watch, and man was it awesome too get that win! I think the team and us fans collectively exhaled at that victory!

Hope we can keep it up! Bring on the Pistons!

Sports Logo

One of the biggest things you guys overlook about Jamaal is not only the fact that he has hit a LOT of clutch shots but that he has made a ton of clutch defensive plays. Last night he made a huge one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    One of the biggest things you guys overlook about Jamaal is not only the fact that he has hit a LOT of clutch shots but that he has made a ton of clutch defensive plays. Last night he made a huge one.
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, I really want to know - what other clutch shot has he hit this entire season.