Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vescey on Rick and other possible coaches being fired

Default Vescey on Rick and other possible coaches being fired

I debated whether this needed its own thread - I realize there are 4 or 5 threads discussing Rick and his coaching. Maybe I'm just trying to convince some of you that Rick is gone - I don't know why so many of you are slow to believe that.

If you believe Vescey it looks as though we'll lose out on both Sam Mitchell and Marc Iavoroni

http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/...ter_vecsey.htm

Sources tell me Sam Mitchell may decide to leave Toronto when his contract expires at season's end and sign on with the Bobcats. He was briefly a Charlotte assistant under Bernie Bickerstaff, leaving when the Raptors' head coaching job was offered. Now I'm told Mitchell is the leading candidate to replace Bickerstaff, on tap to become Michael Jordan's front office consigliore. Should that transfer occur it's all but certain Bryan Colangelo would deputize Suns assistant Mark Iavaroni to run the Raptors sidelines.

There figures to be a whirl of coaching changes once the season ends for certain. Despite getting an extension last summer Rick Carlisle is the prohibitive co-favorite to be fired by the Pacers along with the Kings' Eric Musselman. Tony Barone, filling in for the long-departed Mike Fratello, also will be replaced. Logic dictates (granted, it's an uneven scale) Bob Hill, Mike Woodson, Brian Hill, Doc Rivers and Lawrence Frank also are in job jeopardy. And then, of course, Pat Riley can be here today and gone later today.

Next to Iavaroni the most prominently mentioned potential reinforcement (other than assistant Eric Spoelstra being in line to succeed Riley) is Mark Jackson. Del Harris, Lionel Hollins, Jim Boylan, Terry Porter, Brian Shaw, Scott Brooks and Mario Elie are other names I'm hearing as candidates.

__________________________________________________ ______

OK, here is the whole column

ISIAH'S Q-RATING
    By PETER VECSEY

April 1, 2007 -- IT'S Isiah Thomas' con tention the Knicks knew Quentin Richardson would need surgery some day for a herniated disc when they acquired him prior to last season from the Suns (along with a No. 1 pick; Nate Robinson) for Kurt Thomas?
    Considering Richardson's then $40 million, five-year guarantee was uninsurable relating to that specific problem, why would Thomas admit to taking such a radical risk "knowing" James Dolan would be locked into picking up the whole tab as well as medical expenses?

Gambling on Eddy Curry's fluttering heart is hopelessness I appreciated and, in fact, endorsed. Teams (excluding the Bulls, obviously) are liable to go to almost any extent nowadays to win a custody battle for a low docks dominatrix.

Taking a chance on Stephon Marbury's aching ankles - which supposedly didn't allow him to practice in Phoenix - was another desperate measure I understood and supported; at the time, more than anything, the team needed a shot of courage.

But I'm having trouble grasping Thomas' claim he knew all along Richardson had a back so bummed, in due course, he'd need surgery. If Q's off-shore drilling, rebounding and defense are that desirable, why were the Suns so eager to flush those indispensable skills out of a Mike D'Antoni's made-to-order system?

Was Kurt Thomas really that insufferable, or was Isiah Thomas that nervous about his threat to maim Marbury?

Evidently, the False Prophet's credo is this: Say whatever you want about me, but don't dare suggest anyone can put something over on me. Evidently, he prefers to be ridiculed for recklessly dipping into Cablevision's slush fund than being portrayed as ignorant pertaining to the health of his players.

The question is, if Isiah was positive Richardson was going to require back surgery why didn't his staff of doctors recommend it last week, or two weeks or last summer?

With all due disrespect to the team doctors, who, by the way, are paid by the team - thus a player's interest comes a distant second - from what I've read, seems as if the first person to recognize the seriousness of Q's affliction was the Miami physician who immediately ordered him under the knife.

Then again, what do I know about injured Knicks-other than that David Lee is feeling frisky again and plans to give it another try Wednesday at home against the 76ers - from where I'm second guessing, I'm in no position to quibble.

So, it's settled. Isiah Thomas knows everything about everything! No one can pull the Woolridge over Buffalo Bob Smith's eyes, no siree!

How great is that, a human leg washing up on Dolan's Long Island estate! In keeping with team policy, he immediately signed it to a long-term, no-medical-questions max contract.

Based on how much better shape it was in compared with the previous severed leg that rolled in with the tide, Isiah was given another extension. In light of the Knicks' multitude of ailments, Isiah has petitioned the league for a trade exemption and is offering the leg, an amputated arm and the team's first rounder in '08 for an overpaid shoot-first pointless guard.

In typical Cablevision fashion, the leg was scheduled to be on the shoreline between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. Tuesday, reports column contributor Gregg Siegel. "But it didn't show up until the next day when nobody was home."

Sources tell me Sam Mitchell may decide to leave Toronto when his contract expires at season's end and sign on with the Bobcats. He was briefly a Charlotte assistant under Bernie Bickerstaff, leaving when the Raptors' head coaching job was offered. Now I'm told Mitchell is the leading candidate to replace Bickerstaff, on tap to become Michael Jordan's front office consigliore. Should that transfer occur it's all but certain Bryan Colangelo would deputize Suns assistant Mark Iavaroni to run the Raptors sidelines.

There figures to be a whirl of coaching changes once the season ends for certain. Despite getting an extension last summer Rick Carlisle is the prohibitive co-favorite to be fired by the Pacers along with the Kings' Eric Musselman. Tony Barone, filling in for the long-departed Mike Fratello, also will be replaced. Logic dictates (granted, it's an uneven scale) Bob Hill, Mike Woodson, Brian Hill, Doc Rivers and Lawrence Frank also are in job jeopardy. And then, of course, Pat Riley can be here today and gone later today.

Next to Iavaroni the most prominently mentioned potential reinforcement (other than assistant Eric Spoelstra being in line to succeed Riley) is Mark Jackson. Del Harris, Lionel Hollins, Jim Boylan, Terry Porter, Brian Shaw, Scott Brooks and Mario Elie are other names I'm hearing as candidates.

Having gone global - and looking to go inter-galactic next, no doubt - launched a women's professional league, established a minor league, instituted a pre-draft camp and pioneered seminars for incoming rookies and mentoring program for active players, is there anything left for David Stern's NBA to organize?

I'm glad I asked.

Two weeks ago, the league inaugurated its first discussion group for prospective coaches? Employing Doug Collins and Kevin O'Neill as voices of experience, 14 former players met in New York for a couple days under the auspices of Brandon Williams, already in charge of the league's community and player programs.

It's a multi-dimensional inspiration. Some of the points accentuated by Collins and O'Neill were how to prepare for job interviews (articulate what you have to offer concisely and zealously) and present themselves, critiquing Xs & Os, a practice plan and a walk-through.

Phase Two is hands-on. The Portsmouth Invitational runs April 4-7. Eight participants from the above seminar - Sean Rooks, Duane Causwell, Paul "Snoop" Graham, Chris Smith, Ira Bowen, Stephon Johnson, Greg Minor and Marques Liberty - will coach a team. The remaining six - Tony Campbell, Jay Humphries, Greg Graham, Terry Mills, Jeff Grayer, Eric Murdock - will coach a team in Orlando's pre-draft camp, May 28-June 4.

This just in: Patrick Ewing, in Atlanta to embrace his Hoyas and his son, found time to lobby hearty for the reopening of the Gold Club.

The Future Is Bright JB's Breakout Year's Avatar

Default Re: Vescey on Rick and other possible coaches being fired

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I debated whether this needed its own thread - I realize there are 4 or 5 threads discussing Rick and his coaching. if you believe Vescey it looks as though we'll lose out on both Sam Mitchell and Marc Iavoroni

Maybe I'm just trying to convince some of you that Rick is gone - I don't know why so many of you are slow to believe that.

Thanks for the link. I know you gotta take what Vecsey has to say with a large grain of salt, but the Iavaroni to Raptors thing has been rumored since the beginning of the season. Interesting about Sam Mitchell to the Bobcats....

It makes sense for Sam to go back there. He was originally Bernie's heir apparent.

I know people are going to be over the moon over Jax, but I don't want anyone who says Grant Hill was a better player than Dr. J involved in any personnel decisions.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I'd easily take Michael Cooper over any of those names. Laimbeer,too.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Marc would be a good choice. Don't know about most of the rest...sure don't want a Brown or VanGundy.

streets ahead

laimbeer would be interesting but would never happen as long as bird is here. another guy i'd look at that peter didn't mention would be keith smart he was pretty good in his first head coaching job with the ft wayne fury until zeke ruined the CBA.

also might Ellie and Porter would merit consideration (I think Porter was fired too soon in Milwaukee) as would Del Harris and PJ Carlisimo perhaps.
    This is the darkest timeline.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I hate to beat a dead horse, but I'd easily take Michael Cooper over any of those names. Laimbeer,too.

And before you go crying to mom at least I didn't

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post

And before you go crying to mom at least I didn't
    You're just scared he'd pull another Shock-esque turnaround, you no good dirty Bulls fan.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I debated whether this needed its own thread - I realize there are 4 or 5 threads discussing Rick and his coaching. Maybe I'm just trying to convince some of you that Rick is gone - I don't know why so many of you are slow to believe that.

If you believe Vescey it looks as though we'll lose out on both Sam Mitchell and Marc Iavoroni

__________________________________________________ ______

OK, here is the whole column

ISIAH'S Q-RATING
    By PETER VECSEY

April 1, 2007 -- IT'S Isiah Thomas' con tention the Knicks knew Quentin Richardson would need surgery some day for a herniated disc when they acquired him prior to last season from the Suns (along with a No. 1 pick; Nate Robinson) for Kurt Thomas?
    Considering Richardson's then $40 million, five-year guarantee was uninsurable relating to that specific problem, why would Thomas admit to taking such a radical risk "knowing" James Dolan would be locked into picking up the whole tab as well as medical expenses?

Gambling on Eddy Curry's fluttering heart is hopelessness I appreciated and, in fact, endorsed. Teams (excluding the Bulls, obviously) are liable to go to almost any extent nowadays to win a custody battle for a low docks dominatrix.

Taking a chance on Stephon Marbury's aching ankles - which supposedly didn't allow him to practice in Phoenix - was another desperate measure I understood and supported; at the time, more than anything, the team needed a shot of courage.

But I'm having trouble grasping Thomas' claim he knew all along Richardson had a back so bummed, in due course, he'd need surgery. If Q's off-shore drilling, rebounding and defense are that desirable, why were the Suns so eager to flush those indispensable skills out of a Mike D'Antoni's made-to-order system?

Was Kurt Thomas really that insufferable, or was Isiah Thomas that nervous about his threat to maim Marbury?

Evidently, the False Prophet's credo is this: Say whatever you want about me, but don't dare suggest anyone can put something over on me. Evidently, he prefers to be ridiculed for recklessly dipping into Cablevision's slush fund than being portrayed as ignorant pertaining to the health of his players.

The question is, if Isiah was positive Richardson was going to require back surgery why didn't his staff of doctors recommend it last week, or two weeks or last summer?

With all due disrespect to the team doctors, who, by the way, are paid by the team - thus a player's interest comes a distant second - from what I've read, seems as if the first person to recognize the seriousness of Q's affliction was the Miami physician who immediately ordered him under the knife.

Then again, what do I know about injured Knicks-other than that David Lee is feeling frisky again and plans to give it another try Wednesday at home against the 76ers - from where I'm second guessing, I'm in no position to quibble.

So, it's settled. Isiah Thomas knows everything about everything! No one can pull the Woolridge over Buffalo Bob Smith's eyes, no siree!

How great is that, a human leg washing up on Dolan's Long Island estate! In keeping with team policy, he immediately signed it to a long-term, no-medical-questions max contract.

Based on how much better shape it was in compared with the previous severed leg that rolled in with the tide, Isiah was given another extension. In light of the Knicks' multitude of ailments, Isiah has petitioned the league for a trade exemption and is offering the leg, an amputated arm and the team's first rounder in '08 for an overpaid shoot-first pointless guard.

In typical Cablevision fashion, the leg was scheduled to be on the shoreline between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. Tuesday, reports column contributor Gregg Siegel. "But it didn't show up until the next day when nobody was home."

Having gone global - and looking to go inter-galactic next, no doubt - launched a women's professional league, established a minor league, instituted a pre-draft camp and pioneered seminars for incoming rookies and mentoring program for active players, is there anything left for David Stern's NBA to organize?

I'm glad I asked.

Two weeks ago, the league inaugurated its first discussion group for prospective coaches? Employing Doug Collins and Kevin O'Neill as voices of experience, 14 former players met in New York for a couple days under the auspices of Brandon Williams, already in charge of the league's community and player programs.

It's a multi-dimensional inspiration. Some of the points accentuated by Collins and O'Neill were how to prepare for job interviews (articulate what you have to offer concisely and zealously) and present themselves, critiquing Xs & Os, a practice plan and a walk-through.

Phase Two is hands-on. The Portsmouth Invitational runs April 4-7. Eight participants from the above seminar - Sean Rooks, Duane Causwell, Paul "Snoop" Graham, Chris Smith, Ira Bowen, Stephon Johnson, Greg Minor and Marques Liberty - will coach a team. The remaining six - Tony Campbell, Jay Humphries, Greg Graham, Terry Mills, Jeff Grayer, Eric Murdock - will coach a team in Orlando's pre-draft camp, May 28-June 4.

This just in: Patrick Ewing, in Atlanta to embrace his Hoyas and his son, found time to lobby hearty for the reopening of the Gold Club.

I believe you UB, RC is a goner!!!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Whatever happend to Stan VanGundy? Not even a whisper in that column.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I love how the Pacers have become the "hey, let me try and see if I can coach an NBA team" reality show.

Just because a guy like Mark Jackson doesn't have a Doc Rivers/Bryon Scott record yet doesn't mean he won't (or less). It's like if you say "Doc" then fans see the record and are forced to realize it's not Phil Jackson coming through the door, so they balk.

But give em an unknown and they can always pretend he's going to be great rather than same ol, same ol.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OMG not Del Harris he was my 3rd grade coach at Roachdale in the early 1960's the man is nearly 70 years old.He was born in Plainfield, last thing this team needs is a recycled coach.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    OMG not Del Harris he was my 3rd grade coach at Roachdale in the early 1960's the man is nearly 70 years old.He was born in Plainfield, last thing this team needs is a recycled coach.
    For years I have had nightmares about him being the Pacer coach...even in his prime he wasn't worth much (JMPO)
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

I hope Rick will be coaching the Pacers next season.

Rick Adelman!

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Frank Lawrence. I wouldn't mind having him here.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

LOL..."And then, of course, Pat Riley can be here today and gone later today."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I pray Mark Jackson is NOT a candidate.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Frank Lawrence. I wouldn't mind having him here.
    I don't know if you are making a joke or not. But I'd really like to have Riley Pat coach the Pacers

I don't know if you are making a joke or not. But I'd really like to have Riley Pat coach the Pacers

Buck Uncle made a funny!

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I'd give my nut left for Riley Pat to coach Pacers the. I might even renew my tickets for that.

As for Frank Lawrence, well, I'd rather have Lawrence Frank...

http://www.hhdev.psu.edu/hdfs/faculty/lawrence.html

Although, the c.v. is somewhat impressive, and I'm partial to people from Auburn, although if we're going that route I'd prefer someone with the first name of Chuck/ Charles.

Mourning... we only tease becasue we care...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Really, this team could've used a professor of human development the last few years.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Someone checked my link.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    I hope Rick will be coaching the Pacers next season.

Rick Adelman!
    I think I read that Adelman is the leading candidate to take over the GM spot in Portland.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

About Ivaroni......its not surprising that he would likely end up in Toronto.....its been rumored for a very long time that BC would not renew Sam Mitchell so that he can keep Ivaroni's coaching seat in Toronto warm.

As to Sam Mitchell being a possible candidate for the Pacers ( simply based off of pure speculation from Beat writers ), can someone tell me how good of a coach he is?

IMHO.....I don't think that Mitchell is the reason for the Raptors amazing turnaround compared to last season....I think it was cuz of BC and whatever "mojo" he brought in.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I'd give my nut left for Riley Pat to coach Pacers the. I might even renew my tickets for that.

As for Frank Lawrence, well, I'd rather have Lawrence Frank...

http://www.hhdev.psu.edu/hdfs/faculty/lawrence.html

Although, the c.v. is somewhat impressive, and I'm partial to people from Auburn, although if we're going that route I'd prefer someone with the first name of Chuck/ Charles.

Mourning... we only tease becasue we care...

I know you were kidding guys! And RIGHTFULLY so .

So, ahem.... I wouldn't mind having Lawrence Frank as our new head coach ... IF New Jersey is indeed looking for another coach... why not swap 'em? .

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws