View Poll Results: Will Rick Carlisle be fired as coach of the Pacers?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 53.57%
  • No

9 16.07%
  • No, he will beat them to the punch and quit first.

17 30.36%

Thread: Poll: Will Rick be fired

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Poll: Will Rick be fired

No replys are really needed. I'm just trying to get an estimate of what people truelly believe. Either TPTB will or will not fire Rick at seasons end. I really don't need to hear why you want him fired or why you want him back, I can pretty well guess who will vote how. I'm just looking for a total.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Default Re: Poll: Will Rick be fired

Well I can't answer...because I believe he will be moved to the front office exclusively.

However, he will not coach this team next year.

fired? No...step down? absolutely...
    and we keep JO...I hope
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

I keep wanting to say at this point the damage is too deep and he'll be part of the changes. But if there is anything this management consortium is good at, it is being loyal to a fault and doing things halfass.

On one hand... the time to let him go was last year when they apparently decided they would stick with the core group of players and only tweak the edges. He'd lost the team and his contract was ending this season. But we extended him and got him a shiny new plaque for his desk.

And then you think of the excuses you can put on Rick's side of the ledger-
    * TPTB painted the barns instead of planting corn heading into the season and have to realize that now
    * The star player questioned his system and authority just 8 games into the season thus all but guaranteeing trouble with the pecking order
    * Injuries
    * TPTB traded away his safety blanket (AJ) as well as one of the team leaders (Croshere) (I assume they regret that now... at least the PG situation)
    * A midseason trade that hasn't worked out well right now
    * Whatever guarantees or beliefs they had that the players would mind themselves and focus on basketball went out the window a few times. Strip club brawl. 'Coatcheck' brawl. Tinsley's suspension.

If the management consortium had given him a team with the core blown apart then maybe he'd had a chance to reshape a new lineup and direction. Instead, he was asked to do the impossible. Made even more impossible when JO stuck a knife in his back rather than getting his back at the 8 game point.

You can write that 8 game point down as the place where everything changed for this group. The ramnifications are still being felt. The changes JO demanded were not going to make Sjax or Harrington the happiest of campers. It's probably no coincidence they were both moved and so maybe it goes deeper than just getting rid of Sjax at all costs....

So basically, TPTB told Carlisle they wanted a different system. They brought in some players to make it happen. They sent some of the old guard away clearing the path for Tinsley not to feel threatened. They brought in Al, probably in a misguided idea that JO would defer some to his pal and that Al could help us.

And it was all for naught.

So here we sit wondering about Carlisle again... with more questions about JO. Questions that are compounded due to his salary and contract situation. If we opt to fire Carlisle now and bring in a new coach to try and design something that JO will feel comfortable with yet involve the other players enough not to create chemistry issues, there is only one year to do it before JO can just opt out and leave us with nothing if it doesn't work to his satisfaction.

At least this season, if we'd had a new coach, we could've know once and for all if there was another way to keep JO happy yet still keep the team around him motivated and coachable. We would've had a buffer year to work with.

But I keep coming back to that 8 game mark. Maybe that was the litmus test. That told me this season was on thin ice right there. I can't believe some of you disregarded that moment or defended JO. That was a watershed moment for this season.

My original prediction was that sealed JO's fate and he won't finish his time here. But now the team is so bad that I wonder if Carlisle could ever get it back even with JO and Tinsley gone and a new PG brought in.

But then if you follow the $$$ you also have to wonder if that doesn't stack up in Carlisle's favor.

I don't think there is any way Carlisle and JO can both be back no matter what else happens with the team.

Does a coaching change earn JO a second chance? I really believe that is a question management is asking themselves (along with if they can afford a coaching change plus whether they can afford to let JO get into a situation where he could walk and we get nothing in return bext year). As I said, they waited one year too long to make the coaching change and have this be a much easier decision. I also firmly believe that TPTB penciled JO for a trade immediately following the hissy fit in Boston. That was a team killer. Wrong time, wrong place, wrong group.

All that leaves me squarely able to choose:
    I don't know if Carlisle will be back or not. If I was making the decision, he wouldn't be back. By making the mistake of not blowing up the core of this team last summer we put Rick in an impossible situation. Then his star player made it worse. And then things have gotten so far out of control I'm not sure Rick could ever put it all back together here even with a totally revamped roster.

Not only has he lost the team... he's lost the fans.

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

You should just make the poll easier. Either yes he will be coach or no he won't be the Pacers coach. I don't know if he'll be fired or he'll quit - we might not ever know. So how do I vote. I do know he won't be back.

What if he is offered a job in the front office but he declines. Is that him being fired or in this scenerio is he quiting.

woman without a team

If the Simons had a brain they'd fire Larry and because Rick was his hire they'll let him go too. And maybe they should suggest to Donnie that it's time he left too. Then go beg David Kahn to come run the team.

..And apparently he's lost Uncle Buck...

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the Simons had a brain they'd fire Larry and because Rick was his hire they'll let him go too. And maybe they should suggest to Donnie that it's time he left too. Then go beg David Kahn to come run the team.
    There's no doubt that someone in the Pacer organization...that being Larry, RC or Donnie...needs to go. I'm not at all sure where to place blame, but someone has to pay with their job for this.

They need to get rid of this two-headed monster they created and have one guy fully in charge.

Quit or be fired? Depends on which of the two buddies is willing to fall on the sword to answer for this debacle. They both are responsible to some degree I think.

I don't care how it happens. I just hope RC is not coach next year. I agree with B-ball. It was highly dubious to bring Rick back this year after it was obvious he lost the team last year. Especially given the core players are all essentially the same. Where's the logic in that?

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Honestly, I don't know what managment will do!

Between this board and the situation involved, I have enough reasons to see mgmt. wanting Rick doing something else other then coaching this team, BUT between the new guys not going thru any kind of training camp, no time for chemistry building, and last but not least...injuries.

Honestly, I could see Larry Bird wanting to install Rick like Larry H. Miller installed Jerry Sloan in Utah. The reason I see Rick sticking around is because as others have mentioned, Rick is a superb coach at X's and O's. Rick needs another "Mike Brown type" to sit beside him and handle the personal issues that Rick fails at. If mgmt wanted to make a change for the sake of making a coaching change... Rick losing the team is pretty high on the list for letting him go.

I honestly can't read the tea leaves...I don't know what they are gonna do. There seem to be more reasons to keep him then to let him go.

The question was what was mgmt going to do, not what I want to happen...right?
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by microwave_oven View Post
    Well I can't answer...because I believe he will be moved to the front office exclusively.

However, he will not coach this team next year.
    Ditto.

I'm out of predictions. Although I dreamed that JO was traded for a great shooting guard.....?
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    I'm out of predictions. Although I dreamed that JO was traded for a great shooting guard.....?
    Sounds like a nightmare to me...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Rick's gonna fall on his sword, then take the Seattle job.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

No way Rick falls on his sword. If Larry asks him to Rick should say "Sure, call a press conference." And at said press conference Rick should rip Larry a new one.

JMO.

No doubt in my mind Rick is fired or he quits at the end of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    No way Rick falls on his sword. If Larry asks him to Rick should say "Sure, call a press conference." And at said press conference Rick should rip Larry a new one.

JMO.

That would be a nice juxtaposition to him attending the Detroit press conference after they fired him.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I think it will be more of a mutual separation. Larry and Rick are too good of friends for Larry to dishonor him by firing him.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post

That would be a nice juxtaposition to him attending the Detroit press conference after they fired him.
    I agree with you and Grace on this one. A little karma coming around perhaps.

At some point you have to think that Rick might be a little sick of getting the short end of the stick. Larry Brown is brought in and has no more success than Rick did, and in fact Rick had moved to a DIVISION rival and made them the top seed, and then they went and got Sheed.

Then he got a trade for Jackson, Ron's continued presence (and Ron had problems with plenty of people besides Rick), the brawl in general, major injuries...and the cure is Peja, who then sits for 4 playoff games, then Quis for AC, DA for AJ, Al's return, Al's departure, the addition of weaker defensive players.

Honestly if he left tomorrow I wouldn't blame him. He won't because that's not his style. He'll fight through and take the hits without ripping on anyone.

And btw, for all the talk of players tuning him out and attitude problems being on him, maybe let's discuss how the team is still putting out effort despite little hope existing. JO playing hurt, nothing to do with Rick. Tins playing a full season, especially now when a guy allegedly faking/milking injuries would certainly quit, Army still hustling to the bitter end, Dunleavy busting it even in blow outs...

Does Rick have NOTHING to do with any of those things too?

I think the team quit on him about the 3rd Q of that Phoenix game at home. And then went out West and never put forth any effort. That's on Rick. And can we possibly put to rest the idea that these changes (Quis for AJ and AC, Al returning, a plan for an uptempo game, James White, etc...) weren't, in the very least, given the okay by the guy who would coach it all? There is no way that TPTB didn't ask RC his input into what they had planned.
    And every now and then, I still see a team not putting forth any effort. I seem to recall a couple of New Jersey tanks that reallly reflect that.
    Having said that, I do believe Rick will leave before he's fired, probably with another deal already in hand. It's not a hatred, because I'm certain we all appreciate his bringing us the 71 wins (including playoffs, post Isiah) and the brawl pickup season. What I never understood was when Bird made the 3 season statement about NBA coaches last summer then immediately extended Rick's contract. What was that?
    A lot of blame to go around, but you cannot say Carlisle wasn't at least involved in some of the fumbling and bumbling.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by special ed View Post
    I think the team quit on him about the 3rd Q of that Phoenix game at home. And then went out West and never put forth any effort. That's on Rick. And can we possibly put to rest the idea that these changes (Quis for AJ and AC, Al returning, a plan for an uptempo game, James White, etc...) weren't, in the very least, given the okay by the guy who would coach it all? There is no way that TPTB didn't ask RC his input into what they had planned.
    And every now and then, I still see a team not putting forth any effort. I seem to recall a couple of New Jersey tanks that reallly reflect that.
    Having said that, I do believe Rick will leave before he's fired, probably with another deal already in hand. It's not a hatred, because I'm certain we all appreciate his bringing us the 71 wins (including playoffs, post Isiah) and the brawl pickup season. What I never understood was when Bird made the 3 season statement about NBA coaches last summer then immediately extended Rick's contract. What was that?
    A lot of blame to go around, but you cannot say Carlisle wasn't at least involved in some of the fumbling and bumbling.
    IIRC Bird's 3 season comment was made during HIS tenure as coach, long before Rick's extension.

And Seth....those were some good comments re: Rick and blame. I'm kinda schizo about the guy. On the one hand I absolutely HATE micromanagers but on the other I look at his records when faced with adversity and think WOW what kinda coach could keep doing these things??? Sometimes I think I'd like to see what RC could do with a team that wasn't so dysfunctional and other times I think I'd like to see what JT could do without Rick.....
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..