Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A prayer to the lottery gods

Default A prayer to the lottery gods

So, after pooring over the bottom 10 standings, I started looking at draft boards, and I happened to click on ESPN's mock draft game. Now, granted, this didn't come up first (I believe by default the first one goes with the odds), but I only had to click 5 times to get this:

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Default Re: A prayer to the lottery gods

"So you're saying there's still a chance?"

Let's hope for some luck ala New York Knicks mid 80s

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, after pooring over the bottom 10 standings, I started looking at draft boards, and I happened to click on ESPN's mock draft game. Now, granted, this didn't come up first (I believe by default the first one goes with the odds), but I only had to click 5 times to get this:

It took me about 250 tries to get a top 3 pick on THR. 0.75, back to reality.

Although honestly, hasn't this team racked up enough bad luck to deserve a monster make-up from the basketball gods. If ever a team deserved a break...

Our luck they pick 3 and add Noah, yet another SF for the team. Or they follow the insane dreams of some posters and draft Acie Law 16 picks too soon and look like idiots. Or they take the Chinese kid who goes out like 70% of the tall, raw prospects do (becomes nothing).

One thing is for sure, after tonight I realized that this team has enough to overcome the losing by all comers, they actually have found a way to out lose other teams when it seemed impossible. Honestly I thought they put a real effort into winning vs ORL and still couldn't.

Short of Oden, this draft won't even make a dent into the mess TPTB have created. Can we keep Rick and change management first and see how that goes?

BTW, you have to get to 7th just to get around a 5% chance. Tell you lottery fans what, let's bet your house vs my house on a game I have 95% chance of winning. That'll be fun.

I hope Thorton or Green don't become Haskin part 2.

Banned

The more we lose the higher the number goes.

My room mate from last year and I were talking and he said if we were lucky enough to get the number one pick. We should trade as many people as possible to get a pick that would give us a solid chance to get a certain PG that plays for Ohio State. His ideal plan would have us keeping Granger. And building around those 3. With Williams and Ike as possible other components.

I'd settle for 9/10 pick and get Hibbert or Law. Hibbert preferably, if we could get a solid point thru trade. JO always wants a true center. Give him one for once.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zoso71 View Post
    I'd settle for 9/10 pick and get Hibbert or Law. Hibbert preferably, if we could get a solid point thru trade. JO always wants a true center. Give him one for once.
    He also wants to be traded if this season doesn't work out. Maybe its time we start doing whats best for the team not saying I wouldn't be satisfied with Hibbert or law. But if JO wants to go, and judging by his comments he does. Just do it.

Guys, I tend to agree with Naptown here. If we are really this bad, we're going to have a sweet pick next year, and for a few years to come. Why not give up a #10 right now and have a shot at guys like Mayo, Gordon, or Rose next year? If TPTB really want to be in this draft, I'm sure they could find a deal that gets them in, especially if JO demands to leave like some think
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Guys, I tend to agree with Naptown here. If we are really this bad, we're going to have a sweet pick next year, and for a few years to come. Why not give up a #10 right now and have a shot at guys like Mayo, Gordon, or Rose next year? If TPTB really want to be in this draft, I'm sure they could find a deal that gets them in, especially if JO demands to leave like some think
    Why not try and get a top 10 this year. Trade all our vets for youth and picks. Now Oden may be good, but he and Granger aren't going to keep us out of the lottery. We can tank try for a high pick this year. And still suck next year and god after Rose or Gordon. Hell we could suck for years.

Or is the pick we gave Atlanta only top 10 protected this year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post

Its, its beautiful.

Although I am not sure how I feel about the Bucks getting Durant. They could become Suns East.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Banned

BTW guys we realistically have a shot at the 5th worst record in the league if we lose out. That would really up our chances at winning.

Quote Originally Posted by IMissReggie View Post
    Why not try and get a top 10 this year. Trade all our vets for youth and picks. Now Oden may be good, but he and Granger aren't going to keep us out of the lottery. We can tank try for a high pick this year. And still suck next year and god after Rose or Gordon. Hell we could suck for years.

Or is the pick we gave Atlanta only top 10 protected this year.
    No one wants our vets for their youth. You don't think they love their youth just as much?

GS was sitting around just like Pacers fans were saying "no one wants Dun and Murph with these deals, we are screwed, and even Ike isn't panning out, who would even think of dealing with us".

Then TPTB called them up and took bad choices to a new level.

I say it in every single thread - ATLANTA GETS THE PACERS PICK!

That's not my opinion, it's fact. The longer it goes on the worse the protection on it gets. This year's #10 might cost you next year's #9 or the year after's #6 or the year after that it might be the freaking #1, and if the Pacers protect the pick 3 straight years by being bottom 10, 8 and 5 consecutively then that #1 pick starts looking very likely.

The fact is the Pacers have an AS PF in a big contract. What they don't have is backcourt players. This year is a front court draft, next year is a backcourt draft. You don't even know how good the players in the drafts 3-4 years down the line could be.

People say Oden is once in a lifetime, which is just stupid. Duncan, Lebron, Wade, Melo, Ming, Howard, Paul...big impact players show up just about every draft, sometimes several in one draft. The next Oden is just a few years away, and if we give up the #1 pick then to get a #8 pick now for a team that needs a lot more help than one draft pick it's going to look bad.

BTW, do you know what happens to losing teams in small markets with low attendence?

Ask Charlotte and Vancouver for starters. Ask Seattle and New Orleans what battles they've been in.

What good is a lottery pick when it goes to the new Vegas franchise?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    BTW, do you know what happens to losing teams in small markets with low attendence?

Ask Charlotte and Vancouver for starters. Ask Seattle and New Orleans what battles they've been in.

Should I start exaggerating now.

The Grizz were a whopping 6 years new.

And The Hornets moved over a dispute about an arena.

And I think thats seattles problem as well.

The Hornets once again, We are nowhere near the disaster the Hornets suffered through and come on, once again NO HISTORY

Facts check them.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Although I have been hoping for a "pick" instead of the Playoffs....I will admit that the projected top 10 picks are made up of SFs, PFs, and Centers.....all Frontcourt players at positions that we do not need.

Conley and Law may indeed be stretches at the 10th pick and below...both of which probably aren't good enough to start for another season.

Unless we get the pick...and trade down.....then I have no idea what we should do. I guess it all depends on what TPTB decide to do with JONeal......and I would guess that the decision is going to have to be made soon.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

The fact is the Pacers have an AS PF in a big contract. What they don't have is backcourt players. This year is a front court draft, next year is a backcourt draft. You don't even know how good the players in the drafts 3-4 years down the line could be.

People say Oden is once in a lifetime, which is just stupid. Duncan, Lebron, Wade, Melo, Ming, Howard, Paul...big impact players show up just about every draft, sometimes several in one draft. The next Oden is just a few years away, and if we give up the #1 pick then to get a #8 pick now for a team that needs a lot more help than one draft pick it's going to look bad.
    Many of us are looking to the draft to try to improve on this team in the offseason...while you're one of the few that are pushing for the Playoffs so that we can let this pick go.

Most of us here cling to the hope of what a draft pick ( any draft pick ) can do to help repair this messed up team...while you're primary stance is that the pick will likely do very little to help our situation ( at least for the upcoming season...which I partially agree with ). If letting Atlanta keep the pick is the plan, what is your offseason plan to try to fix this team ( trade someone on our current roster for a pick, dabble in the Free Agent Market, get rid of JONeal or Carlisle, etc. )?

BTW....I don't mean for this post to come off as a "Well, what do you suggest we do Mr. SmartyPants?" post....since I am so focused on what we have to do to fix this team in the offseason with so little options at our disposal....I honestly would like to hear what your ideas are ( if keeping a draft pick isn't gonna be an option ) to improve the team.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by efx View Post
    "So you're saying there's still a chance?"
    Haha, classic!

One of my favorite "don't think, just laugh"-movies btw .
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Maybe I'm naive but I don't think that would ever happen. The fan base here has been pretty supportive over a number of years. I really don't think Herb and Mel would let that happen either. I think the odds of any major league sports team ending up in Vegas is virtually non-existent. I think it might be a good "showcase" city but as far as long range support - ain't gonna happen. Way too many other things to do.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We recently had a 5th overall draft pick.......His name was Jonathan Bender.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    We recently had a 5th overall draft pick.......His name was Jonathan Bender.
    We recently had a 17th overall draft pick....his name was Danny Granger...a guy who played on all star weekend....a guy who has nearly doubled his point production from his rookie year...a young player who has been asked to guard the best player on the other team all the time now....a guy who has been forced to the perimeter for the sake of the team to learn a new role.

I do believe we improved from that draft pick. Just think what we could get with a higher pick. BTW, Bender was a very unlucky, unfortunate situation that is not likely to repeat.

The only way this team will improve in the next 3-4 years is the draft or a miracle trade. I am not waiting around for a miracle at this point.

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    Maybe I'm naive but I don't think that would ever happen. The fan base here has been pretty supportive over a number of years. I really don't think Herb and Mel would let that happen either. I think the odds of any major league sports team ending up in Vegas is virtually non-existent. I think it might be a good "showcase" city but as far as long range support - ain't gonna happen. Way too many other things to do.
    It's not going to happen in the short term IMO. If we stink for 10 years, that's another story. The truth is, this team is not that far from being pretty good. We are missing a couple key pieces that would make us a playoff team again. Not a contender. A playoff team.

That's not my opinion, it's fact. The longer it goes on the worse the protection on it gets. This year's #10 might cost you next year's #9 or the year after's #6 or the year after that it might be the freaking #1, and if the Pacers protect the pick 3 straight years by being bottom 10, 8 and 5 consecutively then that #1 pick starts looking very likely.

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

We have no control over any of this anyway so why get upset about it?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    We recently had a 17th overall draft pick....his name was Danny Granger...a guy who played on all star weekend....a guy who has nearly doubled his point production from his rookie year...a young player who has been asked to guard the best player on the other team all the time now....a guy who has been forced to the perimeter for the sake of the team to learn a new role.

I do believe we improved from that draft pick. Just think what we could get with a higher pick. BTW, Bender was a very unlucky, unfortunate situation that is not likely to repeat.

The only way this team will improve in the next 3-4 years is the draft or a miracle trade. I am not waiting around for a miracle at this point.
    Talent plus good coaching equals playoffs and a fun team to watch and enjoy. I believe the draft is the only long term hope of these things happening again. We will have to live with some tough years but that is
    the reality of the NBA. Pacer fans are spoiled to a certain extent.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by efx View Post
    Let's hope for some luck ala New York Knicks mid 80s
    If I remember correctly, the year after Orlando drafted Shaq, they were the last team in the lottery and won it again, that time drafting Webber and trading him for Penny and like 3 draft picks.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

The Lord of the Darkside just told me that Durrant and Oden are staying in school. Pray all you want it won't make a difference.