Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers vs. Magic Post-Game Thread: Have to win out to avoid a losing record

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacers vs. Magic Post-Game Thread: Have to win out to avoid a losing record

Once again, there really isn't much to say that hasn't been said a lot over the last several weeks.

Another excellent night tonight by a Pacer (Tins), all for naught. The team, as a whole, just can't put it together consistently.

10 games remain. The next two are almost lock losses, but the last 8 are relatively easy. I think we can pull out of this with 36 wins, I'm just not sure if that'll be enough to get a playoff spot or to drop far enough to keep our pick.

3-18 since the All-Star Break. Wow.

Default Re: Pacers vs. Magic Post-Game Thread: Have to win out to avoid a losing record

I'm just glad the game is over so I can watch Rafer Alston.

Banned

Default Re: Pacers vs. Magic Post-Game Thread: Have to win out to avoid a losing record

I'm proud of JO at least trying to play and contribute tonight...not much to say other than that though.

Although the team will be mathematically alive for awhile, for all intents and purposes, the playoff chase is over. Could be wrong, but I think we now lose all tie-breakers with the Nets and Magic. Still looking forward to attending a few remaining games with my kids, but mostly because I feel there is a high probability that two of our three favorite remaining players (J.O., Foster) will be gone after the season is over.

This was a tough loss for me. I really had hope all the way down to the final turnover. I have a lot of thoughts about the game but Ill leave it til tomorrow to post anymore about this loss.

Here's the question that now runs thru my head:
    About how many minutes into the average game do most fans/viewers last before leaving the game on (tv or radio) in the background and doing something else?

I'm usually finding something else to do by the 2nd qtr if not end of the first. I'm there for a little while at the start but then something happens (bad play, bad shot, bad call, arguing, etc) and my interest fades. And rarely do I see something to re-energize me before I am working on a project or firing up the computer. I usually check back in but it seems like I see a monumental hole the team is in, an uber bad play, or the other team go on a run and back out I go. I think I faded quickly after the Technical.

When I checked back in we were within 7 (I think) and within seconds it was double digits and Rick was calling a TO. That's when I started reading the digest again.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I know that this has been mentioned several times and I stopped paying attention because I thought i understood, now I see comments on how if the p's get out of the playoffs but not in the bottom 10, then the pacers don't get a pick,

for the numerically challenged can someone quickly and consicely explain what is the real situation?

I was under the impression if they dont make the playoffs and then their lottery balls gets them a top 10 pick, the get to keep it,
    or I am lost????

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Time to just hang it up for JO this season. If we win again I will be surprised.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I seem to remember reading many posts about how some of you were tired of the Pacers being a .500 team - about how when you are a .500 you have no opportunity of getting better. Many of you wanted the Pacers to really stink - so they could rebuild. Well you have your wish

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I seem to remember reading many posts about how some of you were tired of the Pacers being a .500 team - about how when you are a .500 you have no opportunity of getting better. Many of you wanted the Pacers to really stink - so they could rebuild. Well you have your wish
    Rebuilding ain't a viable option for a few years. Look at the contracts of JO, Murphy, Dunleavy, Foster, Daniels, and Tinsley. We have absolutely no leverage in regards to the salary cap and extremely marginal talent to offer. If we don't attain the top-10 draft pick this year, we'll be even further back from a legit rebuilding process.

Well, the part that's supposed to make that better than .500 is at the end of June. Of course, because of the Al trade we may have screwed that over too.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And prolly no draft pick to build with.

(I'll repeat my phrase of last summer...."Welcome to the 80's" only then we had draft picks to offer hope.)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Yeah... but you're supposed to have a light at the end of the tunnel. Some players and pieces that are keepers or valuable trading pieces, some expiring contracts to trade, maybe a shot at a FA to dream about, a team that is coming together even if the W/L record is not showing it...yet, and of course a nice draft pick in the summer for your troubles.

We don't have too much of that.

But hey.... We can always get a new slogan to make us feel better

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Here's the question that now runs thru my head:
    About how many minutes into the average game do most fans/viewers last before leaving the game on (tv or radio) in the background and doing something else?
    After the 1st QTR....I went out to the driving range and then got some food. I was that interested in this game...........
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Walsh pretty much screwed the Pacers out of being able to rebuild, with his flurry of roster moves dating back to the preseason.

"You have your wish..." Do you mean that NOW they really stink? As in, as of tonight? Not last night, not last week, not last month and not this season? NOW they are really bad? It didn't take a rocket scientist to see this team being bad. It took a realist.

A good GM knows when a situation is bad before it gets out of hand. Walsh saw the team lose all control multiple seasons in a row, and threw an albatross (actually two; more like an anchor) on the future with the acquisitions of Dunleavy and Murphy.

He would have to pull a Houdini to get the Pacers out of the mess they are in and apparently committed to for the forseeable future.

I enjoyed the Magic dancers much more than the Heat dancers.

The Heat dancers get a chance at redemption on the 13th however.

Thats all I have to say.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I've been saying DON'T TANK, but that hasn't stopped them from doing it anyway. I thought they showed great effort all game.

Like when DunDun ran that break down to steal the ball away, or JO gutting it out period. Tinsley really looked dialed in for at least the first half or so, the good version of MelMel showed up, the one that can finish plays.

And Shawne continues to really impress me. I'm so happy with that pick, not what I expected from him at all. I wasn't thrilled with the pick at the time, but I also wasn't sure what to think. Looks like they knew what they were doing with that one.

I know that guys like Murph and Danny care and are trying, but man are they struggling most of the time and hurting the team.

The only guys I really look forward to watching (I don't dislike anyone on the team, but these guys still keep me interested) are JO, Tins, Foster and Dun (despite his struggles). Plus Shawne as a developing prospect (not a main player or anything, I don't expect that from him).

3 starters, a 7th man and a rookie. wow.

Yep. This is what it will look like. Pre-trade we were mad because they were only 3-4 games over .500. That seems like a dream now. Post trade is what the truly bad teams look like. We are the Celtics and Hawks RIGHT NOW. How quickly have those teams turned it around?

Heck, ATL got picks AND a top FA in Joe Johnson, they even had Al after he learned to shoot the 3. They're still terrible. Boston has a slew of young picks and they only get worse. And what about Charlotte, how many top picks do they have?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Pretty big disparity in free throws attempted and personal fouls between the two teams.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Mood

JO and tinsley really showed effort and heart tonight, too bad the rest of the team didnt show up.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

I SUPPOSE these guys play hard. It's just so hard to decipher it given how much it's undermined by the lack of talent and how that translates into actual performance.

Still, IMO, this team is too soft. JO's a good player but he's fairly finesse for a big guy. His attempt to play through these injuries at this point is admirable, although not advisable.

Murphleavy is the softest duo in the league bar none. Dun had a couple nice hustle plays but how can he suck so bad for two or three games and then have a really good one out of the blue. Ditto Tins.

As the saying goes "when the going gets tough, the tough get going". Well, the going's been tough and the group hasn't gotten going in my mind. I see whining, unmotivated, frustrated expressions. Figure out how to play as a team. Their team play has absolutely imploded since the first few games after the trade. They don't even look like they're on the same page.

Public enemy #1 in this softy thing is none other than RC. I am absolutely sick and tired of seeing his namby pamby leadership, interpersonal, sideline style. Yes he might be successful with a group of vets in a highly stable situation, but he couldn't lead any other group effectively to save his life. At seasons end HE GONE! (I pray.)

Clean house, Simons!! All the way up and down the line. This bunch, headed by our fearless management, has led us into a complete morass the likes of which could take a decade to recover from.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

See what happens when you really don't pay attention to the game? Everybody is talking about what a great game Tins played and yet as I watched I saw him jack up 3-4 straight ill-advised clunkers and was invovled (along with the entire team) in 2-3 TO's.......and I only really watched for a few minutes before falling asleep. I musta only seen his bad "moment" and missed the good MelMel entirely.....lesson learned, PAY ATTENTION IN CLASS!
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I hope many of you do realize they cannot clean house. And by that I mean firing Bird, Donnie, and the entire scouting staff. At least not until after the draft. If they did who would make the draft pick

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    Rebuilding ain't a viable option for a few years. Look at the contracts of JO, Murphy, Dunleavy, Foster, Daniels, and Tinsley. We have absolutely no leverage in regards to the salary cap and extremely marginal talent to offer. If we don't attain the top-10 draft pick this year, we'll be even further back from a legit rebuilding process.
    I take the long view on all of this. Rebuilding can start right now. A team that is improving is a team worthy of watching.

This is the time when you prepare for some of the dog contracts to expire down the road. That's what the draft pick is for. This team needs a draft pick like a starving man needs a meal.

If we want this team to get better, it will take some time. Let's start climbing the mountain. Nobody is going to hand you wins or a ring.

The Future Is Bright JB's Breakout Year's Avatar

I know Indyman37 mentioned this during the game thread, but it's the most frustrating thing about the Orlando game to me.

JO goes 4-18. He's already playing on an injured knee and ankle. And Carlisle leaves Ike on the bench for the entire game.

Ike is pretty good, and unless they aren't saying someting, he's healthy. Did he do something to tick Rick off? If so, Ike hasn't even been here long enough to get the same leeway Rick's given guys like Tinsley, or Jackson before the trade.

C'mon, Rick. You're playing the same damn rotation every single game, and we've lost 17 out of 19. 17 out of 19. And how many of those have been by 20 points or more?

I know it may cause some sort of "negative feedback process" or some other BS, but get your head out of your ***.