Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone else hear what ESPN said about Rick's future

Default Did anyone else hear what ESPN said about Rick's future

During ESPN's pregame show they had Chris Broushard (sp) on he said that the players have tuned Rick out and that the Pacers will probably looking at Mark Iavaroni or Sam Mitchel as possible replacements

Nothing we didn't already know

Default Re: Did anyone else hear what ESPN said about Rick's future

Well I'm glad they're looking at Iavaroni at least
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

The players have tuned Carlisle out? And after they had pulled together so much last season...

That's hard to believe.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I heard it and I hope it is true.

After doing some research on Iavaroni, I would love to have him as our coach.

As we read earlier then, I hope the players and the management are ready to run and gun, because Iavaroni said that's the only thing he's interested in.

Sam Mitchell, while I love the guy, just seems like the same voice coming out of a different person. There were plenty of player/coach squabbles in Toronto until this season.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

I also found this in ESPN's weekend dime:

If Rick Carlisle winds up as the scapegoat for Indiana's second-half slide -- and if Lenny Wilkens gets even more front-office say in Seattle than he has now, as he's seeking -- you can expect the Sonics to have Carlisle high on their list of potential replacements for the all-but-ousted Bob Hill.

Wilkens is a vice chairman for the Sonics' new ownership group fronted by Clay Bennett and already has a strong voice on any basketball move Seattle makes. The consistent word in NBA coaching circles, furthermore, holds that Wilkens prefers a supervisory, team presidential role to returning to the bench at 69.

Given Wilkens' status as a well-known Carlisle fan -- and remembering that Carlisle has already worked in Seattle as a TV analyst, as Wilkens does now -- there's a natural connection.

It's still too soon to know exactly how the Pacers will react to their second-half unraveling, but the initial signals out of Indy suggest that they're much more apt to make a coaching change than to unload the one Pacer most worth keeping -- Jermaine O'Neal. Although O'Neal had a deal with management going into the season that they would sit down when it's over to determine whether it's time to preserve the marriage or part ways, he's played gamely (and very well) on a bad knee in the face of a 3-16 nightmare.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...me-070331-0401

One of my biggest complaints about Walshco is the slow pace we move in doing the obvious. It was obvious Rick had lost the team last year. But we gave him the same core group THIS season to work with. IMO (No "H" due to Anthem's call ) if there was to be a lack of player movement in the core then we had to change the coach, not put more money and a new title onto his desk.

Then we could've seen if a new coach, a new voice, a new staff, a new vision could've found a different way to use JO and our other pieces AND get JO to buy into the system (whether he had to sacrifice his game or not).

Instead we put lipstick on a pig. Let the situation with the core fester some more. Let JO stick a knife in Carlisle's back 8 games into the season (which was as good as dooming his authority right there).

It would've been nice to see how this team and JO could perform under a new coach. But I have questions whether the chasms were allowed to grow too wide for simply a new coach to fix. Plus we allowed JO to get into a position where his trade value has to be down and more importantly, we're a year away from the possibility of losing him for nothing.

A wise poster once talked of our fearless management as always doing the 'half-assed' thing. We just can't commit to something and do it. And we pay the price in the fanbase losing interest. Other teams find ways to energize the fanbase and move quickly and with precision shaping their roster. We just put some lipstick on the pig and try a new slogan.

So, for a coaching change, is it 'better late than never', 'about time', or 'too little- too late for this bunch'?

--

BTW... Is O Neal playing 'gamely' to try and lead his team to a win/playoffs or is he trying to showcase himself for a trade that he will demand... or one he already thinks/knows will be coming? (Which would be one more reason why we should've made the coaching change LAST off season).

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Seattle would be a good situation for Rick. I would love to have Sam here. He's the disciplinarian this team needs.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Bird and Walsh should go as well, they built this ****bird.

Mood

Buck, what you didn't say here is that the REASON they tune him out is that he's said to be condescending.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I miss Bulletproof.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    During ESPN's pregame show they had Chris Broushard (sp) on he said that the players have tuned Rick out and that the Pacers will probably looking at Mark Iavaroni or Sam Mitchel as possible replacements

Why would Mitchell leave a winning franchise?

Heck, why would Iavaroni leave his spot? And how does Iavaroni fix the massively brutal defensive problems this team has?

If Rick Carlisle winds up as the scapegoat for Indiana's second-half slide -- and if Lenny Wilkens gets even more front-office say in Seattle than he has now, as he's seeking -- you can expect the Sonics to have Carlisle high on their list of potential replacements for the all-but-ousted Bob Hill.
    And Seattle makes the playoffs again before the Pacers. The anti-RC crowd pretends they never said a word when it happens and have the nerve to actually condemn dumping him. Bird leads the team as well as McHale has lead the T-Wolves.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

The only info that he had was from a "NBA Source" that told him that the Pacers have quietly checked with other GMs about coaching candidates. As to the 2 coaches he mentioned......but I got the impression that he was guessing about Ivaroni and Mitchell...I don't think that he really knew or had received any "inside" info or had some source.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Run and gun with our shooters And we think we are getting the crap kicked out of us now - WOW! 143-88.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

streets ahead

well it has been rumored all season that colangelo probably would want "his own guy" as coach which could be marc (given the obvious PHX connection). so i doubt sam would leave on his own accord.

seattle could be interesting for rick, but i think milwaukee could be a possible destination rick to end up. he does have a thing for the central division.
    This is the darkest timeline.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

BTW, I just ran it for another thread. Here's a reminder of what D'Antoni's record was his FIRST year in PHX, before Nash was signed.

21-40. Yes, about 20 games into his tenure they traded Marbury and Penny for Dice in order to clear cap space (which was used to get Nash) and Amare didn't play the full year. But that team had Joe Johnson and Shawn Marion the whole season.

21-40 without Nash. Guess what their record is without Nash THIS year? 2-4. Hmmm, see a pattern?

Now remind me again when the Pacers picked up Nash.

I don't even dislike Ivaroni, but I do think that too much stock is being placed on a coaching change. Ultimately this roster has to be severely overhauled.

Think about this too, 3 major deals last summer. Which of those players is playing for the Pacers right now? Army. And he's well below being consistantly effective (30% from 3, plenty of TOs, gets shot over or pushed around in the post).

It sure seems like the more TPTB tinker with the team, the worse it gets.

Iavaroni? Heck yes.

Mitchell? Heck no.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I don't even dislike Ivaroni, but I do think that too much stock is being placed on a coaching change. Ultimately this roster has to be severely overhauled.
    I stand by my previous post, but this is certainly true.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

streets ahead

here is my thing about marc...

phoenix is certainly an offensive-first team, but in the same sentence people always talk about how they don't play defense. so, if marc is such a defensive guru, why aren't they more like dallas of today as opposed to nash-era allas mavs (no D)? i just wonder about why you'd bring in a defensive guy that is the defensive coach on a team that plays no defense.

i also don't believe d'antoni is a genius, i think he's good. but as seth mentioned, it was nash's presence that really turned this team around and added to more experience under amare's belt and shawn marion's talent.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    here is my thing about marc...

phoenix is certainly an offensive-first team, but in the same sentence people always talk about how they don't play defense. so, if marc is such a defensive guru, why aren't they more like dallas of today as opposed to nash-era allas mavs (no D)? i just wonder about why you'd bring in a defensive guy that is the defensive coach on a team that plays no defense.
    He's still better than Mitchell.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Carlisle...

losing the team?

Wow. That's surprising. Seattle can have him. In fact, I'd trade Rick for Bob Hill straight up.

Give either coach the right players, they look like good coaches. Give them lousy players, they look like lousy coaches.

The only difference between the two is that Bo seems to be able to let his players play without micromanaging.

Rick's very overrated on this board, the success he had his first season in Indiana is because JO and Tinsley stayed healthy until the ECFs.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Carlisle...

losing the team?

Wow. That's surprising. Seattle can have him. In fact, I'd trade Rick for Bob Hill straight up.

Give either coach the right players, they look like good coaches. Give them lousy players, they look like lousy coaches.

The only difference between the two is that Bo seems to be able to let his players play without micromanaging.

Rick's very overrated on this board, the success he had his first season in Indiana is because JO and Tinsley stayed healthy until the ECFs.

Without Artest I doubt there would've been much success (certainly not the levels we saw). That doesn't mean he wasn't a ticking time bomb but I think you are overrating Tinsley and JO, or undervaluing Artest, in your statement.

I still say Artest was more valuable to our success than JO is and has ever been. Conversely you can also say he's to blame for our downfall but I think he had some help (not that he needed any).

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Are we so bored with the current team that we're going to do this again?

Is Artest a tremendous talent? Absolutely. But that's only about 1.5% of the story when it comes to Artest.

Did Artest ever do anything productive without JO and Tinsley? No. He was a big cause of the losing in Chicago, and the Kings have played their way to the Pacific Division cellar this season with and without him.

Tinsley and JO at least won a playoff series (two years ago) without him and were competitive against Detroit despite losing their starting SF without a replacement.

And in spite of Artest's off-the-court meltdown vs. Miami in 2004, they won that series. And they might've beaten Detroit, if JO and Tinsley didn't get hurt that series. Hell, they might've beaten Detroit with a hurt JO and Tinsley if Artest didn't continue his manic-depression sidesteps all the way into his skipped flight before Game #6 and then his famous meltdown during the fourth quarter of Game #6 (as I'm sure you'll recall, we were still barely hanging onto the lead when the on-court portion of his meltdown manifested.)

Now if you want to say that all of those wins were because of an aging Reggie Miller, go right ahead. I won't agree, but that wouldn't be the first time we disagreed.

Artest was only the third best player on that team (fourth best on Reggie's 'good days'), AND a ticking time bomb.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    One of my biggest complaints about Walshco is the slow pace we move in doing the obvious. It was obvious Rick had lost the team last year. But we gave him the same core group THIS season to work with. IMO (No "H" due to Anthem's call ) if there was to be a lack of player movement in the core then we had to change the coach, not put more money and a new title onto his desk.
    Fair enough.

I agree with this, actually.

Enjoy your time at PD!