Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oden and Conley Both Enterting the Draft

Default Re: Oden and Conley Both Enterting the Draft

I wonder if people doubt Greg Oden enough now to trade him to the P's for JO?

To clarify, I'm afraid Larry would take Noah, not Richard. The last thing we need is another PF who needs an enforcer to be effective.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Noah's stock will drop in workouts when he has to do shooting drills.

His jumper is about like Jeff Foster's. Actually a lot of his game is like Jeff's, but Noah is a way better passer and less physical.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sleep on Joakim Noah all you want. He got out-muscled tonight by an NBA center, basically playing out of position.
    Then explain how he got out-muscled by Chris Kramer two weeks ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post

In 3-4 years, Noah may not even be in the league.

But he will be a very successful hairdresser or own a flower shop.

I know how politically incorrect that may be, but seriously, his reaction to a couple of the calls against him reminded me of that clip (from last year) of Danica Patrick stomping her feet on the race track and pouting after she was out of a race.

i am always up for a good Noah bashing as a player in the NBA(but not in college), but I don't think you can point to athleticism as his downfall. In college he is guarding perimeter players and the rim, which shows that he can move pretty decent.

that said... he is most assuredly not a center in the nba, and unless he really kills the weight room, not much of a PF. and as pointed out, he doesn't have enough O to be a 3. On a team like the Suns where they don't strictly define positions and it is all about hustle and being active, he could fit in ok, but I don't see NBA premier kind of player out of the guy. Diaw has better ball handling skills as well.

Now, Horford and Brewer, those two guys scream NBA. In 2-3 years, pure studs in the league. Oden screams NBA. Conley and Green are growing on me, but Conley could really use another year to get the shooting up and add some muscle...Green...not sure if a year makes a difference or not, kid is a string bean, and doesn't even have the trunk to work with that Conley does.

Noah will probably be drafted too high but I don't think he'll be a bad player. Imagine if Phoenix drafts him. Wouldn't that just be a match made in heaven? Tell me he wouldn't be successful on the Suns.

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post

His jumper is about like Jeff Foster's. Actually a lot of his game is like Jeff's, but Noah is a way better passer and less physical.
    This is the comparison that jumps to my mind the most. Noah is like a souped-up version of Foster. He's a great energy player and rebounder. He's a much better shot-blocker and passer than Foster. He's never going to score more than 15 ppg in the NBA unless he totally revamps his jump shot. It spins sideways. Where a guy like Noah could thrive is on a team like Phoenix. He'd be a great big man for them because he's great on the break and takes joy in doing the little things that most of the guys on their roster don't care about.

As far as I'm concerned, Brewer is the best NBA prospect on Florida's team. He's the only one who could be star. Horford will be a nice player in the mold of Antonio Davis or Horace Grant, but he's not going to be a 20-10 guy. Noah is a glorified glue guy: important but no one you want to build around. I think Richard is probably the 4th best prospect on the team (I don't think much of Green or Humphery as NBA players), but he's not going to be a first round pick. He's got the look of a 2nd rounder made good to me.

Other things we learned in the Final Four games: Hibbert is good and will be good in the NBA. Green is a lot like Noah but has more upside. The only NBA player on UCLA's roster is Collison. Shipp, Afflalo, and Mbah a Moute may have a chance, but I can't see any of them having much of an NBA career.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Although I detest "tanking", I'm now hoping that the Pacers lose enough to have a pick in this year's draft.

There are just too many players that could be taken in the 8-10 spots for the Pacers not to have involvement.

Conley - the PG we could use.
    Brewer - an absolute octopus on perimeter defense, along with a lot of other great talents as well.
    Law - a decent scorer, although he's no Conley at PG.

A role player that I wouldn't mind seeing as a 10th-12th man would be Humphrey. I suppose you could call him a much shorter version of Korver. It wouldn't surprise me if Humphrey with fresh legs couldn't shoot it as accurately from 30 feet as anyone on our current roster could from 22-25 feet. I have no idea where he will slot, or even whether he is expected to be drafted.

Conley keeps saying he's going back to school, so someone is either misinformed, or telling lies.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Sleep on Joakim Noah all you want. He got out-muscled tonight by an NBA center, basically playing out of position.

In the NBA. he's going to be a damn nice power forward for someone. The kid is a winner and a competitor.

*wakes up*

Nope, he's still overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post

I still think Jeff's a better rebounder and defender than Noah.

We'll soon see.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Conley keeps saying he's going back to school, so someone is either misinformed, or telling lies.
    Conley is staying.

I can't find the article now, but it was about Greg and the possibility of him leaving. Mike was quoted as saying something along the lines that next year was going to be an adjustment without Oden, then quickly added if he doesn't come back.

If Conley was smart, he'd come out with Oden. I don't know that his stock will be any higher than it is right now, especially if Oden goes pro.

Noah can - and should - defend SF's in the pro's. And he should be pretty decent at it. But he doesn't have any sort of game to have much impact on offense.

What you'll be getting is a good and versatile defender who probably CAN defend 3 positions (best suited for SF though) and probably will never average 10 ppg for a season.

That's an OK pick at around 20 and good up around 25 or lower. It's lousy for a lottery pick - especially in this year's draft.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    If Conley was smart, he'd come out with Oden. I don't know that his stock will be any higher than it is right now, especially if Oden goes pro.
    If he gets a shot it will be. In fact, I'd expect his numbers to go up all around. Oden isn't a guy a PG will get a lot of assists off. Sure, there's the add alley-oop but for the most part he was a post player making post moves.

OSU without Oden will be more of an open-floor team relying on players like Cook slashing and spot-up shooters. Actually better suited for Conley IMO.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

do i need to start a Noah Bandwagon here??

you guys are gonna feel awful stupid in a few years.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

yeah. He was damn good the last 2 years, but he looks bad in one game, and all of a sudden, he's a bust. Silly overreaction.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I felt he was being overrated before last night; he's a David Lee type player, nothing more. Not that that's a problem, but worthy of a top 10 pick? I just don't see it.

Conley could help his stock by staying another year. Everybody's down on the rest of that team after last night, but:

Conley
    Butler
    Cook
    Hunter
    Terwilliger
    Lighty

is still a pretty good college team, as they showed against UNC in November. Cook will flourish as the go-to guy, and Lighty really grew up in the tourney.

My point is, leading a team like that, Conley could step out of Oden's shadow and really make a name for himself. That said, if Mike comes out, I'd still be happy to take him.

[edit] Of course, I just looked up the box score from the UNC game, and Lewis had 30 and Harris had 17, so maybe not.

Mood

Noah has the intensity, the killer streak and the will to win. Add that to his actual basketball skills and you have one hell of a player.

I would think out of anybody Pacer fans would appreciate his love of the game and passion he shows.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Follow me no more....... Fireball Kid's Avatar

Man, the Grizzlies are going to be loaded up frontcourt. Pau Gasol, Hakim Warrick, Rudy Gay and now Greg Oden? Actually, they could all start at the same time cause Rudy Gay plays sometimes at guard I think.

Seriously, watch out for the Grizzlies next year.
    "Remember the pain of my fist. That is my power!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I felt he was being overrated before last night; he's a David Lee type player, nothing more. Not that that's a problem, but worthy of a top 10 pick? I just don't see it.

If we had the tenth pick and David Lee was somehow up for grabs, I would take him for sure. He's Jeff Foster with a legitimate ability to score.

Man, if I were running the Bulls, I would be offering up my abundance of swingmen for Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    That's an insult to David Lee, IMHO.

This year's Lee type player, to me anyways, is Josh McRoberts. Doesn't do anything outstanding in one area, but is solid all around.

Noah is a less athletic Jeff Foster or Dan Gazuric (sp?). You almost let him shoot from any farther out than 10ft and make sure you body him up on rebounds. He'll be able to guard the quicker post players, but bangers will give him fits because of his body size.

And I don't know about all this talk is about poeple falling off because of one game. I thought he was overrated last year. He just wasn't nearly as annoying, and I could just ignore him.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This year's Lee type player, to me anyways, is Josh McRoberts. Doesn't do anything outstanding in one area, but is solid all around.

I follow you with this logic, but Lee is an outstanding rebounder, shot .600 from the field and .815 from the line. That's three things he does well above average.

And although his shot volume (both from the field and from the line) might be a little low, that doesn't change how efficiently he handles his offensive workload.

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    I follow you with this logic, but Lee is an outstanding rebounder, shot .600 from the field and .815 from the line. That's three things he does well above average.

And although his shot volume (both from the field and from the line) might be a little low, that doesn't change how efficiently he handles his offensive workload.
    I think I picked the wrong words, because I completely agree.

I was trying to say neither are the player you're going to sell the farm for, but make your team extremely better. They don't get the ball when a bucket is needed, but they always end up with the ball from a rebound and get a stick back, or something of the sort.

You can watch them play, and notice they're on the floor, but until you look at the stat sheet you weren't aware they had a double-double.