Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oden and Conley Both Enterting the Draft

Default Re: Oden and Conley Both Enterting the Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4d3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I told you all Noah was extremely overrated, and Oden was going to be a monster. I feel bad for whatever team gets suckered into drafting Noah Top 5.
    I can't believe he'd go top 5. Maybe in the lottery though even that's too high.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    I can't believe he'd go top 5. Maybe in the lottery though even that's too high.
    I've seen him projected that high in some mock drafts, though that may change after tonight.

Oden should be a sure-fire #1 lock, assuming he comes out. With this being Oden's first real "loss" in his career, he may want to give it another shot next year.

For IU's sake, I hope he comes out.

Oden is just a beast...

I would love to see Greg match up against Dwight.

Think about it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMltKsoDwe8&NR=1
    press pause on the second slow-mo replay around 0:12 mark

Show of hands, after tonight's game, who'd take Richard over Noah?

(I tell you, I might jump off the tankwagon, cause I can see Larry taking him. )
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoPacer View Post
    He shoots about 58% from two-point range, 30% from 3-pt range, and 69% from the line. Ohio State is quicker than most teams they play and they spread the floor, allowing him to go one on one against college defenders. His field goal percentage relies upon a lot of layups and 12 footers he won't get in the NBA. What he will get a lot of in the NBA is 18-20 foot jump shots--which he hits worse than Jamaal Tinsley could at Iowa State.

He shoots less than two shots from 20 feet per game. He only shoots them when he is wide open, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but these shots will be contested in the NBA. He only hits 30% of these shots. Any way you cut it, that's not good enough.
    He's the PG. The ball handler. He puts up a fair amount of shot clock beaters.
    I say he shoots just fine. ANd he'll shoot just fine in the pros.
    And YES, he will get closer shots because of his quickness.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Easy to shoot %50 when %75 of your baskets are layups. He got a lot of shots off at the rim at OSU that he won't be getting in the NBA.
    Tell that to Jeff Foster!!

He's super quick. He'll get his share off.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post

Too funny. Doesn't this look silly now.

Florida > OSU

BUT Oden >> Horford > Noah

Oden is a freshman playing against the best frontline in college basketball. Horford, Speights, Noah and Richard could not stop him.

BTW, Noah is an overrated wussy. Certainly he goes after Oden and Horford in the draft.
    He'll go after them in the draft yea, but he's no wussy.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Agreed.

I can't believe anyone could possibly even compare Noah to Horford let alone Oden. Oden will be a great NBA player and Horford could easily develop into one. Noah, however, wont be anything more then a 10/7 guy on any given night. He may be scrappy and he may try, but he has no offensive game at all and has no shot outside of 10 feet of the basket. Jeff Foster with an even smaller body and quite possibly less offensive potency.
    yea who wants a 10/7 rookie?

Sorry, Rob. I warned you about Noah, and I know you hate Oden, but he really is that good. And I don't say that lightly.

It may take 3-4 years for Oden to adjust to the NBA, but he's going to be dominant when he does. In 3-4 years, Noah may not even be in the league.
    In 3-4 years he'll have 2 more titles tho.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    He'll be about the 8th or 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post

(I tell you, I might jump off the tankwagon, cause I can see Larry taking him. )
    Richard is the 7th best big in the nation. And doesn't even start.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I sure hope we don't take him. Richard is a very poor man's Lonny Baxter. The original didn't turn out so well in the NBA, so I can't see the poor man's version lasting in the NBA. Or Italy or Spain for that matter.

I'm not high on Noah either. His frame will never let him play PF for extended minutes, but he has the athleticism and a prayer of developing a reliable 16 footer. As long as it doesn't resemble his cockamamie free throw form. Honestly, what the hell is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    yea who wants a 10/7 rookie?
    Who said anything about him averaging 10/7 as a rookie? I was saying the best he could ever do in the NBA is average 10/7 (In his "prime" so to speak). And that's the ABSOLUTE best he could do. You can quote me on that.

If you think otherwise, you obviously haven't watched much college basketball. Noah = Overrated. Maybe if he develops a mid ranged jumper or puts on some serious weight so he can play some PF in the NBA then he may pan out.

Neither. If we keep our pick and draft either one, I will have to take an extended leave of absence, and maybe lock myself in a padded room for a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Who said anything about him averaging 10/7 as a rookie? I was saying the best he could ever do in the NBA is average 10/7 (In his "prime" so to speak). And that's the ABSOLUTE best he could do. You can quote me on that.

If you think otherwise, you obviously haven't watched much college basketball. Noah = Skinny version of Jeff Foster.
    But worse.

That's right, you heard me:

Foster > Noah

Mood

Sorry Moses - i misunderstood.

Shade - :
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Foster > Noah
    Until I see Jeff lead animals two by two into an ark Noah>Foster....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

But worse.

That's right, you heard me:

Foster > Noah
    I might not agree with that, but it's pretty close, either way. The difference is that we got Foster on the 21st pick, Dale with the 13th, and Antonio with a second rounder. If we're lucky enough to get a top 10 pick, why would we ever waste it on Noah?

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoPacer View Post
    It's a mistake for Conley to enter this year. He's a short point guard by NBA standards. He has long arms and is lightning quick, but he's still short. Short, quick point guards need perimeter shooting (18-20 foot range min) to create space for themselves. No one will respect his outside shooting, so they can play off him and he'll be ineffective.

The guy is shooting 30% from the college 3-pt line.

Looking down a list of young PG types without much height from the last 7 or 8 years:

TJ Ford, Paul, Marbury, Bibby, Davis, Felton, Duhon, Tinsley, Hinrich, Francis, Jason Williams, Derron Williams, Jameer Nelson, Devin Harris, Andre Miller.

All of these guys made pretty quick impacts for their ballclubs. The only two who were worse outside shooters than Conley? Andre Miller and TJ Ford. Ford gets banged up because he's forced to drive the lane to create things, and Miller's career has taken a downward turn early. The fact that Tinsley was a much better outside shooter coming into the league than Conley should tell you something.

Conley needs a full year without Oden and Butler, where he has sole PG duty in a more open offense with Cook and Lighty. If he gets his 3-pt shooting up to the upper 30s/low 40s and adds another 4-5 ppg while making the same good decisions, he's top 5 next year. Right now, he's mid first round.

Right now, what the Pacers need more than anything is a guy who can create his own shot. Dunleavy and Murphy will never be able to do this, and Granger seems hesitant at times to do so. Only O'Neal can. So he gets doubled. Conley could be that player if defenders respected his shooting ability, but they won't. Not yet anyway. Get a guy who can create opportunities, and get a vet PG for the exemption as a stop gap measure for Tinsley.
    OR...he can take the sure money of a lottery pick this year (following a stellar Final Four) since OSU probably won't do as well next year...

Sleep on Joakim Noah all you want. He got out-muscled tonight by an NBA center, basically playing out of position.

In the NBA. he's going to be a damn nice power forward for someone. The kid is a winner and a competitor.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Gotta Play Big

Sleep on Joakim Noah all you want. He got out-muscled tonight by an NBA center, basically playing out of position.

In the NBA. he's going to be a damn nice power forward for someone. The kid is a winner and a competitor.
    Noah is not even Channing Frye. At least Channing can hit the jumper.

The problem with Noah is that he will be outmuscled by a lot of PF's as well. He is also not very athletic or quick. Good lord, compare him to JO.

He is not a good shooter at all and will not be dunking on anyone. Nice doo, great passion...but he is soft and simply not that highly skilled. Just not a good combination at the next level.

Horford, however, will be a good one b/c he has game. He can hit from range, on the move and has the physicality that it takes to do well in the NBA. He will be just fine.

Oden is the next great big man coming out...

The problem with Noah is not that he won't be effective at what he does, but that he'll have to deal with the expectations of a top 10 pick.

As long as that team that picks him knows what they're getting, has an established nucleus and just needs a glue guy, he won't dissappoint. But if he gets picked by someone like Memphis or the Celtics, well, he just won't bring enough all-around game to the table to live up to the hype of a top pick.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    The problem with Noah is not that he won't be effective at what he does, but that he'll have to deal with the expectations of a top 10 pick.

As long as that team that picks him knows what they're getting, has an established nucleus and just needs a glue guy, he won't dissappoint. But if he gets picked by someone like Memphis or the Celtics, well, he just won't bring enough all-around game to the table to live up to the hype of a top pick.
    Noah=Dunleavy?
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Noah reminds me a lot of Boris Diaw, with less range but better defense.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Noah is obviously not an NBA center. He can't muscle with the big guys.

But as a power forward, I don't see him as a force either. Near the basket, he at least shoots his shot with a hop. Any shot away from the basket he shoots flat-footed, and with a slow release at that.

He obviously has a great attitude and reportedly has a good work ethic. He's not a particularly good defender and in the NBA he will have to contend with bigger, stronger, quicker PFs.

Without a significant amount of additional development, I don't see him much more than hustling bench player who does a great job hitting free throws. With the players available, I can say with certainty that I would not take him top 10, and maybe not even top 15.

Strictly talking about the PF position, I see a lot more that I could work with from even a player like White out of IU than I do with Noah. Although shorter, White has quickness for a PF, very long arms, hops, good elevation on his jumper and variety of ways to get his shot off around the basket.

What I see from a player like Noah right now is more consistency than a player like White, but with White's athleticism and raw skills, I see much more upside to White than Noah. And there are probably another 5-6 players around the country similar to White that a more knowledgeable collegiate fan than myself could name to take over Noah.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Noah is obviously not an NBA center. He can't muscle with the big guys.

But as a power forward, I don't see him as a force either. Near the basket, he at least shoots his shot with a hop. Any shot away from the basket he shoots flat-footed, and with a slow release at that.

He obviously has a great attitude and reportedly has a good work ethic. He's not a particularly good defender and in the NBA he will have to contend with bigger, stronger, quicker PFs.

Without a significant amount of additional development, I don't see him much more than hustling bench player who does a great job hitting free throws. With the players available, I can say with certainty that I would not take him top 10, and maybe not even top 15.

Strictly talking about the PF position, I see a lot more that I could work with from even a player like White out of IU than I do with Noah. Although shorter, White has quickness for a PF, very long arms, hops, good elevation on his jumper and variety of ways to get his shot off around the basket.

What I see from a player like Noah right now is more consistency than a player like White, but with White's athleticism and raw skills, I see much more upside to White than Noah. And there are probably another 5-6 players around the country similar to White that a more knowledgeable collegiate fan than myself could name to take over Noah.
    Exactly.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I told you all Noah was extremely overrated, and Oden was going to be a monster. I feel bad for whatever team gets suckered into drafting Noah Top 5.

And I would trade ANYTHING and EVERYTHING possible for Oden.
    Noah reminds me of Sean May, a guy who was big enough in college to make it work but in the NBA will struggle as a tweener.

Horford looks like a solid 3rd option guy, a more athletic Dale perhaps. Oden also has the movements of a Dale Davis...but with Tim Duncan offense to go with it. Both are great picks.

Conley is tough to read. He does appear well undersized but he also has a ton of poise and seems like a traditional NBA PG. No shot will kill him and in some ways his offense makes me think of the Tinsley issues. Of course Tins (and Parker as mentioned) can get near the rim all the time so it might not matter.

Put Conley with a shooter and a big and he should look pretty strong in the NBA. If he comes out this year it hurts the Pacers because they could really use him much more than Law. I'd take Conley over Noah for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    If he comes out this year it hurts the Pacers because they could really use him much more than Law. I'd take Conley over Noah for sure.
    Although I detest "tanking", I'm now hoping that the Pacers lose enough to have a pick in this year's draft.

There are just too many players that could be taken in the 8-10 spots for the Pacers not to have involvement.

Conley - the PG we could use.
    Brewer - an absolute octopus on perimeter defense, along with a lot of other great talents as well.
    Law - a decent scorer, although he's no Conley at PG.

A role player that I wouldn't mind seeing as a 10th-12th man would be Humphrey. I suppose you could call him a much shorter version of Korver. It wouldn't surprise me if Humphrey with fresh legs couldn't shoot it as accurately from 30 feet as anyone on our current roster could from 22-25 feet. I have no idea where he will slot, or even whether he is expected to be drafted.

After individual workouts, Brewer will be upper lottery.