Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oden and Conley Both Enterting the Draft

Banned

Default Oden and Conley Both Enterting the Draft

This is from ESPN Insider, if this isn't legal here please just delete it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sources Say Oden Will Go Pro
    Written by Jeff
    Tuesday, 27 March 2007
    Chad Ford reports:

One prominent NBA player agent, who asked not to be identified because he was revealing confidential discussions, told Insider that he had enough contact with Conley's father, Mike Conley Sr., to be 99 percent sure both Oden and Conley Jr. were coming out.

"I think Oden really wants to stay in school," the agent told Insider. "However, I think he's feeling a lot of pressure from family and friends that the opportunity to be the No. 1 pick is one he can't pass on. I think Conley Jr. wanted to make sure he was the top rated point guard in the draft before declaring. He didn't want to settle for a mid-to-late first-round pick. With his play in the tournament, I think he's there. Next year, with O.J. Mayo in the mix, he may not be."

One other agent essentially confirmed the first agent's story.

Default Re: Oden and Conley Both Enterting the Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Shawne View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I think what we shold do is trade whatever we have to to keep JO, Granger,Williams,Ike and get the 1st pick and get Oden and somehow get Conley. We would have a really good team. Trade the next 5 years 1st round picks because Oden will be a all star player for many years.
    I hope you're joking because this is the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. It's akin to saying, "Maybe we should have traded Croshere for Dwayne Wade instead of Marquis Daniels."

The Pacers could not even get the #1 pick if they offered to trade JO straight up for it.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    I hope you're joking because this is the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. It's akin to saying, "Maybe we should have traded Croshere for Dwayne Wade instead of Marquis Daniels."

The Pacers could not even get the #1 pick if they offered to trade JO straight up for it.
    Sorry, I didnt write that. I copied this from the Pacers board over at Real GM and I didnt notice that part at the bottom. It's now been removed.

ESPN and Im sure most experts consider Conley the #1 rated point guard in the draft. He's being compared to Chris Paul. If we can land a top-10 pick, he's within striking distance. I also think this means Acie Law may fall to the mid 1st round (15ish) meaning trading for a pick to acquire him would be slightly easier.

You can't trade multiple (consecutive) 1st round picks away anyway. The NBA doesn't allow it.

Any player who has a legit shot at being a lottery pick is a fool not to declare for the NBA.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

That's surprising since Conley Jr. came out earlier and said he was returning to Ohio St. But if Conley Sr. is one of the sources, then it must be pretty liable, in fact I've heard that Conley Sr. is working on opening a sports agency. If that's the case I'm guessing his son will be a client... which is a pretty good start, and if he somehow lands Oden as well..... pretty successful business right off the back

Banned

If this kid Tywon Lawson (UNC Freshman) also comes out, this draft will be stacked with 3 potential franchise PG's.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know it's an "Insider" article and from a supposed prominent agent, but I call bull****. Greg was entering the draft before the NBA age rule, so I don't see how he can be so torn.

Without getting into a lot of detail, I will say I've personally sat down and talked with Greg for close to an hour about various topics, including the league. He told me, and several other people, he was entering the draft on 1/30/07.

I just have a hard time believing someone who is out of the loop with Greg, can be in the loop with Mike. Also, Greg would be the #1 next year as well, so it's not like he has to worry about dropping anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I know it's an "Insider" article and from a supposed prominent agent, but I call bull****. Greg was entering the draft before the NBA age rule, so I don't see how he can be so torn.

Without getting into a lot of detail, I will say I've personally sat down and talked with Greg for close to an hour about various topics, including the league. He told me, and several other people, he was entering the draft on 1/30/07.

I just have a hard time believing someone who is out of the loop with Greg, can be in the loop with Mike. Also, Greg would be the #1 next year as well, so it's not like he has to worry about dropping anywhere.
    Saying Oden is/was "torn" could be just a little spin that the 'insider' is putting on it as a bit of sugar for those that want him to stay at OSU/college or those that might be inclined to say he is being greedy. I don't think I'd let that be the tripping point in believing the article.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

First, there isn't a posted link, which is a BIG no-no, and means that the story is someone's madeup fantasy.

Second, I've been listening to ESPN radio all day and they've not said anything about this, and it would be a big story if Mike declared and worth some kind of mention.

Third, there's nothing on ESPN's front page about it, and nothing on ESPN's men's college basketball page about it. Amazingly Conley is the front picture on the college BB page, so obviously if it was true the story would be linked under it.

This story is 100% fake.

EDIT: There is nothing on the Insider page either.

The story is not fake. It comes word for word from Chad Ford's blog. The info about Conley Sr. opening his own sports agency to represent both players is also in there.

Shawne, sorry for the reaction to the end of your post. I thought it was out of character since your posts are usually pretty reasonable. Glad to know that you didn't write it.

Still, Oden is a pipe dream unless the Pacers win the lottery. If the downward spiral continues, however, Conley and Law are legit top 10 picks.

- Salman Rushdie

First, there isn't a posted link, which is a BIG no-no, and means that the story is someone's madeup fantasy.

Second, I've been listening to ESPN radio all day and they've not said anything about this, and it would be a big story if Mike declared and worth some kind of mention.

Third, there's nothing on ESPN's front page about it, and nothing on ESPN's men's college basketball page about it. Amazingly Conley is the front picture on the college BB page, so obviously if it was true the story would be linked under it.

This story is 100% fake.

EDIT: There is nothing on the Insider page either.

But that could sure be the tripping point....

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Mistake on Conley's part for a couple of reasons. First, I don't think he's NBA-ready yet. Not really. He'll be OK but he'd be far better from a career standpoint to wait another year or two and refine his game.

Second, this year's draft is loaded. What's worse is it's loaded with big men. Conley may or may not make the number 1 PG in the draft list but that still may not get him into the lottery. Last year the first true PG went 21st. In fact, IMO Rajan Rondo isn't a terrible player to compare him with - lightning quick, knows how to distribute, iffy shooter.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    Mistake on Conley's part for a couple of reasons. First, I don't think he's NBA-ready yet. Not really. He'll be OK but he'd be far better from a career standpoint to wait another year or two and refine his game.

Second, this year's draft is loaded. What's worse is it's loaded with big men. Conley may or may not make the number 1 PG in the draft list but that still may not get him into the lottery. Last year the first true PG went 21st.
    Conley's going lottery

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...me%3dford_chad

there's the link to the story, since it's still not been provided.

I had to dig quite a bit to even find it. Conley is still listed as an "if" on their mock board, and to me 99% sure would be moved to a "yes."

From what I've been told from Greg, and from my roommate who would sit beside Conley Sr. at games, I have very little faith in this being true.

Next years draft would push him into a lot better position, not only with more experience, but the logjam of big name forwards/centers would be gone.

EDIT: Thad Matta is supposed to be on the Dan Patrick show on ESPN radio at 3pm eastern, which it's 3:07 now, so any minute.

Banned

I had to dig quite a bit to even find it. Conley is still listed as an "if" on their mock board, and to me 99% sure would be moved to a "yes."

From what I've been told from Greg, and from my roommate who would sit beside Conley Sr. at games, I have very little faith in this being true.

Next years draft would push him into a lot better position, not only with more experience, but the logjam of big name forwards/centers would be gone.

EDIT: Thad Matta is supposed to be on the Dan Patrick show on ESPN radio at 3pm eastern, which it's 3:07 now, so any minute.
    Actually, OJ Mayo and Derrick Rose are 2 point guards likely to be in next years draft that would probably go ahead of Conley. This year, he's likely the #1 consensus point guard. He really has no reason to stay, unless he's really enjoying the college experience.

Well, I can't get too exciteted (assuming for now that it's true) because I expect us to fall in Death Valley, but this is great news if we make top 10; Oden bumps everyone else down a spot.

You'd think anyone would have sense to wait until after Monday night to worry about it. Or Saturday evening, depending.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Well, I can't get too exciteted (assuming for now that it's true) because I expect us to fall in Death Valley, but this is great news if we make top 10; Oden bumps everyone else down a spot.
    Heck, you've got Durant, Brandan Wright, Hibbert, Horford, Noah (shouldn't be above 20 but he will be), Jeff Green. Plus there are some big chinese and Euros who may come out. He'll be there when you draft if you want him.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawne View Post
    Actually, OJ Mayo and Derrick Rose are 2 point guards likely to be in next years draft that would probably go ahead of Conley. This year, he's likely the #1 consensus point guard. He really has no reason to stay, unless he's really enjoying the college experience.
    Eventhough he could be the #3 PG drafted, he could very well be taken ahead of where he would be taken this year.

He has a very good reason to stay though. He isn't ready.

EDIT: Outside of ESPN, Conley isn't even on 2007 mock draft boards.

Banned

Eventhough he could be the #3 PG drafted, he could very well be taken ahead of where he would be taken this year.

He has a very good reason to stay though. He isn't ready.

EDIT: Outside of ESPN, Conley isn't even on 2007 mock draft boards.
    He doesnt have to be ready. But he can get ready while getting paid millions of dollars as opposed to staying in school another season and risking injury or a drop in his draft stock.

I want Conley badly. He's going to be very very good. get him PTB!

Yeah, because that's working out great for Telfair.

PG's not being ready, but still come out, is a lot harder to develop than other positions. There's a reason why very few PGs have made the jump straight from HS to the NBA, and it's because PGs are told to go to college and develop. Go through past drafts, and look at the PGs that were drafted. A very high percentage are Jrs/Srs and it's no coincidence.

Banned

PG's not being ready, but still come out, is a lot harder to develop than other positions. There's a reason why very few PGs have made the jump straight from HS to the NBA, and it's because PGs are told to go to college and develop. Go through past drafts, and look at the PGs that were drafted. A very high percentage are Jrs/Srs and it's no coincidence.
    Actually, its because most point guards dont have the physical gifts that make the scouts bust a nut the way guys like Howard, KG, Lebron etc. do. O.J. Mayo and Derrick Rose could easily be the top-2 picks of next years draft, and both are likely NBA point guards. Both are also 6'4"-6'5" athletic works of art. Conley doesnt have their size, but with his quickness and skill set, he's a can't miss prospect. Telfair on the other hand was a consensus bad pick for the Blazers and was projected to go in the mid-20's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post

They could have last year, another excellent move by our front office. And seriously if we get Oden by some grace of god, because thats what it takes. JO is gone. Its rebuild time and JO isn't going to get a chance to whine about how he isn't getting enough shots or crap like that. 36 games with his friend, how long do you think some 20 year old will last.

I generally agree with you that Conley is not as ready as he could be. There are still areas of his game that he needs to work on. The real question is whether or not he is the kind of player that will continue to develop without major playing time. The things that generally determine that are character and work ethic, and from everything I've heard, those are a couple of his long suits.

He needs to develop an outside shot. He needs to get a little stronger and become a more consistent free throw shooter. His instincts and his playmaking and leadership ability are stellar. He's probably better than a number of NBA PG's who are already getting decent minutes. I think he's probably at least one to two years away from being a consistent NBA starter.

The bottom line is what's going to be expected of him next year. If you're looking for a PG to play 30+ minutes next year, draft Acie Law IV. If you want a guy who will be at least solid and could be a star in a couple of years, draft Conley. If you want loads of upside and the downside that comes with it, draft Lawson.

- Salman Rushdie