Thread: Morris to Knicks

Default Morris to Knicks

This is a new one - unfortunately, I never thought he'd be much more than a decent NBA reserve. OTOH, Isiah's one redeeming quality is his ability to recognize young talent.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10083194

Kentucky center Morris signs with Knicks
    March 23, 2007
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Kentucky center Randolph Morris signed a free-agent contract with the New York Knicks on Friday, another big loss to a program already dealing with the departure of coach Tubby Smith.

Morris averaged 16.1 points and 7.8 rebounds for the Wildcats this season and was a first-team All-Southeastern Conference.

He will join a team fighting for an Eastern Conference playoff berth. The Knicks played in Cleveland on Friday night. There was no immediate word on when Morris would join the team.

Morris' decision comes one day after Smith left to become the head coach at Minnesota.

Kentucky spokesman Scott Stricklin said athletic director Mitch Barnhart met with Morris late Thursday night and asked Morris to wait until a new coach was in place before deciding whether to leave.

Morris declared for the 2005 NBA Draft following his freshman season, but went undrafted. He returned to the Wildcats after sitting out an NCAA-mandated 14-game suspension, averaging 13.3 points and 6.0 rebounds in 21 games.

Morris blossomed this season, becoming the most consistent player for the Wildcats, who went 22-12 and lost to Kansas in the second round of the NCAA Tournament last weekend.

Morris said he "expected" to return to the Wildcats following the loss, but didn't completely rule out leaving for the NBA.

A provision in the NBA's collective bargaining agreement prevented Morris from re-entering the NBA Draft and he was given free agent status throughout the 2006-07 season.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Morris to Knicks

He's very slow footed. But he's big and has good hands. Of course, people are gonna rave about how Isiah is this great judge of talent and will be able to make something out of a mid to bottom first rounder. I can only point to Fred Jones as some example of Isiah's "judgment" of talent.
    OTOH, the Knicks get a guy who can at least practice with them immediately and might vault them to the 8 spot in the playoffs.
    Only shows how NY hoops (and their expectations) have fallen off in the recent years.

Mood

I'm confused. Did this kid play in college this year, or last year? If he played this year (the season that's not over yet) how can he sign with a team?

[quote=special ed;560262]He's very slow footed. But he's big and has good hands. Of course, people are gonna rave about how Isiah is this great judge of talent and will be able to make something out of a mid to bottom first rounder. I can only point to Fred Jones as some example of Isiah's "judgment" of talent.
    quote]

I'm no great IT fan, but he is unquestionably an excellent talent scout...not a good administrator, coach or GM, however.
    I'd still point out that FJ is still in the league, and other than Tayshaun, no one else in that draft made much of an impact either.
    On the other hand, look at IT's successes: Marcus Camby, Damon Stoudamire (ROY), Tracy McGrady, David Lee, Nate Robinson, Channing Frye, etc.
    No one hits a home run every year, but I submit that Jerry West, Donnie, and IT are in the top 5, if not top 3, every year.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...o_2_year_deal/

The New York Knicks signed Kentucky center Randolph Morris, who played his junior season as an NBA free agent, to a contract Friday.

The Knicks did not announce terms of the signing, but an NBA source told ESPN Insider Chad Ford that it is a two-year deal worth $1.6 million.

Morris joins the Knicks in their fight for an Eastern Conference playoff berth, which took a hit with a 90-68 loss in Cleveland on Friday. There is no immediate word on when Morris would join the team.

"We said all along that in terms of building this team we would have to find unconventional ways to try and find talent and get out and beat the bushes," said Isiah Thomas, the Knicks' coach and director of basketball operations. "This is a very unique situation and I don't know if there has been something similar to this. The rules allowed it, and here we are."

Thomas said the 6-foot-11, 260-pound Morris will soon join and practice with the Knicks.

"It's another guy we can add to our young core,'' Thomas said. "We're very happy to have him. It's another big and it's almost like another pick in this year's draft -- just a little early."

Thomas said several other teams were "chasing" Morris.

Randolph declared himself eligible for the 2005 NBA draft after his freshman season at Kentucky, but he did not sign with an agent. After going undrafted, he returned for his sophomore and junior seasons under Tubby Smith. Morris sat out the first 14 games of his sophomore season because of an NCAA penalty related to contact with an agent.

Due to a provision in the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, Morris is prohibited from re-entering the draft and had free agent status throughout the 2006-07 season at Kentucky.

According to the NBA rookie contract scale, Morris' $1.6 million deal equates to first-round money; his salary is on par with what the 26th pick received in last year's draft and what the 30th pick will sign for in 2007.

According to Kentucky, Morris met with athletic director Mitch Barnhart on Thursday night and was asked to wait until Smith's replacement was hired before deciding whether to stay in school. A Kentucky spokesperson told ESPN.com that Morris told Barnhart he would do that.

On Friday, Morris apparently changed his mind. Morris told Barnhart on Friday afternoon that he had signed with the Knicks, Kentucky spokesperson Scott Stricklin confirmed.

Kentucky is now trying to figure out how the departure of Morris, who averaged 16.1 points and 7.8 rebounds a game this season for the Wildcats, before spring semester's end will affect the school's academic progress report.

Under the new APR, schools are subject to scholarship penalties if student-athletes leave early and not in good academic standing. Withdrawing from school before the end of a semester can seriously impede a team's GPA and academic standing. To that end, Texas and Ohio State are taking steps to ensure freshmen Kevin Durant and Greg Oden will finish the spring semester.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Am wonderiing when Isiah (and the Knicks) got in on the discussion here?
    Wouldn't it be a lot more expensive than Ainge sitting in the stands with Durant's Mom if the time line showed some contact before UK was out?
    Things certainly changed quickly, I guess.
    And the Knicks probably got a guy who will give them, in the least, what David Harrison has given us.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Poor Kensucky...
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by special ed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Am wonderiing when Isiah (and the Knicks) got in on the discussion here?
    Wouldn't it be a lot more expensive than Ainge sitting in the stands with Durant's Mom if the time line showed some contact before UK was out?
    Things certainly changed quickly, I guess.
    And the Knicks probably got a guy who will give them, in the least, what David Harrison has given us.
    I wouldn't think so if the kid already went undrafted and was a free agent all season. He could have left for the NBA at any time this season, so naturally that would mean someone would have to be able to talk to him about taking a job with them (ie, signing an NBA contract).