Thread: Well, Donnie did this well in 1988

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Well, Donnie did this well in 1988

I've never kept up too well with the drafts in year's past, but I was doing some web surfing today and came across 1988.

I'm sure it's been discussed to death on this forum, so pardon my ignorance. But I did not realize Rik Smits was chosen by us second in the draft.

With all the talk right now about who to choose next year, about the travesty of Jordan going third years ago, etc., etc., I was intrigued to see that in 1988 Walsh seemed to definitely make the best choice. Yet it never seems to get mentioned much as one of the feathers in his cap. Thought I'd do it now.

1988 DRAFT

First Round
    1 LAC Danny Manning Kansas
    2 Ind Rik Smits Marist
    3 Phil Charles Smith Pittsburgh
    4 NJ Chris Morris Auburn
    5 GS Mitch Richmond Kansas State
    6 LAC Hersey Hawkins Bradley
    7 Phoe Tim Perry Temple
    8 Char Rex Chapman Kentucky
    9 Mia Rony Seikaly Syracuse
    10 SA Willie Anderson Georgia
    11 Chi Will Perdue Vanderbilt
    12 Wash Harvey Grant Oklahoma
    13 Mil Jeff Grayer Iowa State
    14 Phoe Dan Majerle Central Michigan
    15 Sea Gary Grant Michigan
    16 Hous Derrick Chievous Missouri
    17 Utah Eric Leckner Wyoming
    18 Sac Rick Berry San Jose State
    19 NY Rod Strickland DePaul
    20 Mia Kevin Edwards DePaul
    21 Port Mark Bryant Seton Hall
    22 Clev Randolph Keys Southern Mississippi
    23 Den Jerome Lane Pittsburgh
    24 Bos Brian Shaw UC Santa Barbara
    25 LAL David Rivers Notre Dame

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Default Re: Well, Donnie did this well in 1988

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've never kept up too well with the drafts in year's past, but I was doing some web surfing today and came across 1988.

With all the talk right now about who to choose next year, about the travesty of Jordan going third years ago, etc., etc., I was intrigued to see that in 1988 Walsh seemed to definitely make the best choice. Yet it never seems to get mentioned much as one of the feathers in his cap. Thought I'd do it now.
    The Jordan debacle wasn't on Walsh. Prior ownership/management traded our #1 to Portland for Tom Owens, a journeyman center. Houston picked first and landed Hakeem, Portland used the pick on Sam Bowie of Kentucky...then Chicago got you know who.

In all probability, if management then had the pick (hopefully DW wouldn't have), they'd have drafted Bowie, too.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

I'm sure it's been discussed to death on this forum, so pardon my ignorance. But I did not realize Rik Smits was chosen by us second in the draft.

1988 DRAFT

First Round
    1 LAC Danny Manning Kansas
    2 Ind Rik Smits Marist
    3 Phil Charles Smith Pittsburgh
    4 NJ Chris Morris Auburn
    5 GS Mitch Richmond Kansas State
    6 LAC Hersey Hawkins Bradley
    7 Phoe Tim Perry Temple
    8 Char Rex Chapman Kentucky
    9 Mia Rony Seikaly Syracuse
    10 SA Willie Anderson Georgia
    11 Chi Will Perdue Vanderbilt
    12 Wash Harvey Grant Oklahoma
    13 Mil Jeff Grayer Iowa State
    14 Phoe Dan Majerle Central Michigan
    15 Sea Gary Grant Michigan
    16 Hous Derrick Chievous Missouri
    17 Utah Eric Leckner Wyoming
    18 Sac Rick Berry San Jose State
    19 NY Rod Strickland DePaul
    20 Mia Kevin Edwards DePaul
    21 Port Mark Bryant Seton Hall
    22 Clev Randolph Keys Southern Mississippi
    23 Den Jerome Lane Pittsburgh
    24 Bos Brian Shaw UC Santa Barbara
    25 LAL David Rivers Notre Dame

Wow was this the worst draft in NBA history? There were 5 all star caliber players in the 1st round (6 counting Smits).
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

While not chock full of household names, it did provide some teams with some serious players like... Danny Manning, Rik Smits, Mitch Richmond, Hersey Hawkins, Rex Chapman, Rony Seikaly, "Thunder" Dan Majerle & Rod Strickland. There are also some key championship components in there as well like Will Perdue and Brian Shaw. Rounds 2 and 3 supplied Vernon Maxwell, Anthony Mason and Steve Kerr. There were also a number of guys with long productive careers like Grant Long, Chris Morris, Harvey Grant, Vinnie Del Negro and your usual injury depleted guys like Willie Anderson, Michael Williams &Charles Smith. All in all not too bad of a draft.

I suggest perusing the 1990 NBA draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    I suggest perusing the 1990 NBA draft.

Amazingly, the Pacers picked the third or forth best player in that draft in the second round (Antonio Davis, after Gary Payton and Toni Kukoc plus Elden Campbell arguably)

Banned

Mitch Richmond was easily the best player in this draft. Danny Manning could've given him a run for his money had his career not been killed by injuries. Thunder Dan and Strickland also had fairly nice NBA careers.