Thread: Potential NBA Coaches

Default Potential NBA Coaches

Here is an interesting David Aldridge column on potential NBA coaches. Mark Jackson is the first name mentioned with a strong endorsement from Donnie Walsh.

Hmm. If Carlisle wants to move to the front office, a guy like Jax would make sense.
    Go Pacers!
    Indy Cornrows

Sports Logo

Default Re: Potential NBA Coaches

Please please bring Mark Jackson in as our next coach. Tonight would be ok with me.

I must admit I was 100% against bringing in Mark Jackson as Pacers coach. More than anything I just would rather have someone with some coaching experience - one year of being an assistant coach might be helpful. But I've changed my mind a little. If I were doing the search for a new coach, I would interview Mark Jackson - would need to know more about his philosophy.

Looking at Donnie Walsh's history - he has twice in his career hired former players who had no coaching experience what-so-ever.

Reading the book "07 seconds or less" about the Suns - I'm learning a lot about Marc Ivaroni and I really like what I'm reading. Although he is a defensive guy, a film guy, and a guy who seems to me to be more like Pat Riley than D' Antoni. D'Antoni is the one who when the team is struggling - his solution is to score more.

We've got a coach like that.

i saw that article too. the buzz is that bzdelik moves to CU and replaces Patton. but...you have Michigan, Minnesota and other big jobs waiting/probably opening.

I can see Shaw or Jackson for sure as former players, and of course, can see Iavaroni, but really...look at the bucks' hire or Minnesota going with Wittman. who knows what owners and gms willl roll the dice on.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd take Darrell Armstrong over Mark Jackson as far as a potential "next" Pacers coach.

If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I must admit I was 100% against bringing in Mark Jackson as Pacers coach. More than anything I just would rather have someone with some coaching experience - one year of being an assistant coach might be helpful. But I've changed my mind a little. If I were doing the search for a new coach, I would interview Mark Jackson - would need to know more about his philosophy.

Looking at Donnie Walsh's history - he has twice in his career hired former players who had no coaching experience what-so-ever.

Reading the book "07 seconds or less" about the Suns - I'm learning a lot about Marc Ivaroni and I really like what I'm reading. Although he is a defensive guy, a film guy, and a guy who seems to me to be more like Pat Riley than D' Antoni. D'Antoni is the one who when the team is struggling - his solution is to score more.
    Isn't Iavaroni a shoo-in to take Sam Mitchell's job when his contract with Phoenix is up?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd take Darrell Armstrong over Mark Jackson as far as a potential "next" Pacers coach.
    I wouldn't. I like DA, but I just don't see the coach on the floor mentality with him. I think he is a very good teammate, but I think his leadership is slightly overrated. I know people like to compare him to Avery Johnson and think that he could make a similar transistion, but I just don't see the coach mentality out of DA.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Darrell Armstrong would be a great coach. He has a lot of Avery type qualities in him. He's highly competitive, charismatic and he's been through a lot as a player. If he gains more knowledge and experience as a coach I think he will be a great coach down the road.

Sports Logo

I can see Darrell becoming a coach at some point but Mark would be perfect for us.

I think DA will probably be a good coach one day, but I don't like the transition he would be making from player to coach - coaching the same team that he is now playing for. Right now he is the guy that keeps the guys loose, his enthusiasm is great, but he's also comic relief and I fear how the transition would go to coaching these same guys