Thread: Did anyone else see the piece on Acie Law?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Did anyone else see the piece on Acie Law?

It was before the tourney games on CBS's pregame show. The basic gist was talking about how he has developed in an amazing leader even though he was quiet when he arrived at A&M. His coach and teammates were just drooling over his leadership ability. I would give anything to get this guy in the draft. He has all the intangibles of a very good PG with great leadership qualities.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Default Re: Did anyone else see the piece on Acie Law?

If this guy's all he's cracked up to be, then my ideal June is him becoming a Pacer.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

The more the hype continues, the higher he gets pushed up in the draft.

We may not even get a pick this year, and if we do, he may very well be taken before we can have a chance.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

In my opinion, if we want a good pick in the draft, we should get it through trades. It's the way to ensure we get the pick we want. How's he on D?

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In my opinion, if we want a good pick in the draft, we should get it through trades. It's the way to ensure we get the pick we want. How's he on D?
    Solid. Better than what we have probably. His quickness keeps him in front of everyone.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I'll be honest I've only seen about 5 games this year of him play from sitting in a bar and watching the college games that were playing around on the tv's. I paid special attention to him moreso cause I had heard his name thrown around on these forums from other people and after watching him I was sold he was solid defensively and the guy showed fantastic poise in every game that he played and just really really humble think Marvin Harrison as a point guard. This is what the "experts" have to say about him. He's currently slated to go 13th in the draft in most mocks.

NBA Comparison: Chauncey Billups

Strengths: Big time competitor who wants the ball in crunchtime … Has become a great team leader who has learned how to lead by example … Rare point guard who can operate equally well in a half court set or up tempo offense … Defensively Law shows good lateral quickness and reflexes to play passing lanes … Decent court vision, capable of driving and dishing in traffic … Great ball handler who uses his shifty quickness to get past most opposing defenders … Once in the lane, Law effectively uses his body control and ability to finish with both hands … Fundamentally sound player who plays the game with good poise and patience, rarely does Law force the action … Has the ability to hit the pull up J from mid-range off the dribble … Creative slasher who understands how to use the glass or floaters in the lane … Has improved greatly from behind the three point line where he can now convert with regularity … Unselfish player who will often look to get teammates involved first before attempting to shoot the ball … Possesses a great basketball IQ. Law plays the game very efficient and intelligently … Pushes the ball aggressively and effectively up the court …

If that's not Pacer-like qualities that everybody likes to see from the players on this team than I don't know what is. Here is his weaknesses

Weaknesses: Still learning how to play the point guard position from the stand point of improving his teammates and controlling the tempo of games … Could stand to increase his upper body strength and add a few pounds to his frame … Perimeter shooting despite improvement can still go through streakiness … Settles at times for mid-range shots when he could drive to the basket and put pressure on the defense … Lacks the explosive first step to get full separation from his defender … Doesn’t always apply the same intensity on defense that he shows on offense … Can be a little turnover prone as he can telegraph his passes … Still remains to be seen if he is able to make players around him better … The mechanics in his shooting form are flawed and could need to be refined if he struggles in the NBA … Lack of strength prevents him from finishing after contact ... Defensively Law tends to gamble reaching for the ball and picks up quick fouls … While greatly improved, Law can go through periods where his overall play is inconsistent …

Here's my thoughts is I think this guy has a higher ceiling than most players in the draft from the guard position. whereas other guards we could get in the draft like afflalo or marcus williams I think they are what they are and probably not going to get much better in my opinion. Here's another option I've thought about lets say we end up with with like 6th-8th pick in the draft and acie law is in fact still on the board by that point in time. We could use that pick trade up for a pick in next years draft from one of the bottom feeders and insure us a pick next year and still get the guy we need. I think that's probably a lot more realistic than trading Jermaine O'Neal plus our draft pick to get the number one overall to get Oden.

TheDon, I think he is similar to Billups in the way he plays, but he isn't in build. He may be quicker tho. He is built more like Iverson IMO. However I have been watching him whenever I can this season and he just plays with such a fire and passion, but he does it in a way that doesn't draw attention to himself. He is extremely humble. I get the same feeling I did about Roy last year and I just think we need to get him if we can.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I like Law but we despartly need Defense and Shooting. What is everyone's thoughts on Brewer. He is the best lock down defender in the NCAA with long arms and an improving jump shot. When Florida was struggling Brewer was not playing. Once her returned he led them with intensity and defense to beat OSU. His %s have been up and down but when ball movement is flowing (Noah is key for this) he sees more open jumpers. I like this kid a lot. But It is a tie with Acie.

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    I like Law but we despartly need Defense and Shooting. What is everyone's thoughts on Brewer. He is the best lock down defender in the NCAA with long arms and an improving jump shot. When Florida was struggling Brewer was not playing. Once her returned he led them with intensity and defense to beat OSU. His %s have been up and down but when ball movement is flowing (Noah is key for this) he sees more open jumpers. I like this kid a lot. But It is a tie with Acie.
    IMO we need a guard who can create and lead before anything else. We can shoot the ball if we have someone creating open looks. Law brings a great shooter, a good leader, a good passer and penetrator and a solid defender at 1. For this team I would only take Oden and Durant before Law.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

yeah Corey Brewer is another person to look at I don't know if we could possibly make a trade for brewer but that would be fantastic I'd draft a point guard first though cause the sooner that happens the sooner we can get rid of tinsley. If Brewer falls down far enough I would ask whoever it was at that point in time to make an offer of Tinsley for that pick + Mace or Dave to try and get him. I remember watching some Florida games with my friend and told him man they better stick to Brewer he will **** your world up.

In the by the way department was watching the Bulter vs. Maryland game and there's some guy on Maryland named Bambale Osby said he practiced with Danny Granger during Danny's senior season in college and said he really got better and learned a lot from Danny by practicing against him but really got black and blue cause Danny was such a tough defender.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    IMO we need a guard who can create and lead before anything else. We can shoot the ball if we have someone creating open looks. Law brings a great shooter, a good leader, a good passer and penetrator and a solid defender at 1. For this team I would only take Oden and Durant before Law.

Oh I agree we need that first. But I am not sold on Acie's ability to make the players around him better on a consistent basis. He is average to above average on D, but not a lock down on the college level. How will that translate to the NBA. The ideal place for Acie to go to is Seattle or Sacremento, having to learn to trust in other shooters. Here is something scary the Suns have the Hawks pick. If they pick 5 they could have Horford, Wright, Noah, or Law. Of course that would make Barbosa or Bell expendable. They have 3 first rounders, freaking unreal. They have 5 free agents and 4 draft picks. Wow.

Sports Logo

If by chance we are lucky enough to get a draft pick....I really think that some team ahead of us is going to pick him up. Why? cuz the Basketball Gods hate the Pacers.....
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    Oh I agree we need that first. But I am not sold on Acie's ability to make the players around him better on a consistent basis. He is average to above average on D, but not a lock down on the college level. How will that translate to the NBA. The ideal place for Acie to go to is Seattle or Sacremento, having to learn to trust in other shooters. Here is something scary the Suns have the Hawks pick. If they pick 5 they could have Horford, Wright, Noah, or Law. Of course that would make Barbosa or Bell expendable. They have 3 first rounders, freaking unreal. They have 5 free agents and 4 draft picks. Wow.
    Actually, you bring up an interesting point. If you remeber last year, the suns kept dealing away their picks (they had several then too IIRC) to get servicable vets to plug into their rotation. THey have an amazing team, who, with the exception on Nash, are all quite young. Barbosa looks to be the successor there. They don't really NEED anymore youth. Size would work for them. I have a suspicion that Maceo/Dave or something would get us one of their first rounders. I don't really have a senario here, but a multi team deal where we get Law, and give up Harrison/Maceo/Williams surley exists out there. Somewhere.

I'd also be suprised if Law went higher than 10, and I expect lower. nbadraft.net has him going at 13 to the Nets(currently). He's the only point they have going in the entire first round. I honestly think he goes even lower. It looks like they just put him there becuase there isn't too much demand for him and any lower would be almost insulting. THink about it, Jersey has Kidd, and his successor Williams. Most teams who figure into the high draft need bigs, and this year is stocked with bigs and wings. I really can't think of a team outside of ATL or us that desperatly need a PG. Some teams may need one, but I'd hazard they wait till Augustine or Conelly Jr come out next year.

If I'm the Suns and I can get Noah, Durant or Julian Wright with that Hawks pick I take it. All three of those guys would kill in that system.