Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our draft pick is top 10 lottery protected. Thanks mboyle1313, update #30

Default Re: Question about whether our 1st round pick this year is truly top 10 protected

I've never heard a scenerio during the lottery show where they say if a team finishes in the top three they keep the pick and lose the pick if they finish someplace else.
    In 2003, all picks were disclosed except for #2 and #1. The only lottery teams left in the draft were Cleveland (worst team in the league the year before) and Memphis (6th worst in the league).

Memphis was praying for the #1 pick, not only because it was the LeBron draft, but because if they got anything but the #1 pick, their pick went to Detroit.

Cleveland got the #1 pick, Detroit got Memphis' #2 pick, took Darko, and won a championship 2 seasons later (that's how I like to think of it anyway).

Default Re: Question about whether our 1st round pick this year is truly top 10 protected

To throw some more confusion out there.....My father (who's in his 60's and probably not the most reliable source) said he heard on the radio there was some sort of "Oden clause". Like if Oden comes out we keep the pick or something. Again, I think he probably heard it wrong or it was a caller making that claim but now it's out there.

^^^ No such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In 2003, all picks were disclosed except for #2 and #1. The only lottery teams left in the draft were Cleveland (worst team in the league the year before) and Memphis (6th worst in the league).

Memphis was praying for the #1 pick, not only because it was the LeBron draft, but because if they got anything but the #1 pick, their pick went to Detroit.

Cleveland got the #1 pick, Detroit got Memphis' #2 pick, took Darko, and won a championship 2 seasons later (that's how I like to think of it anyway).
    Oh, I remember that now.

Talk about how a ping pong ball changed two franchises so completely. Just look at the Cavs and the Grizzlies.

Buck,

I checked this out today, and assuming my understanding is correct, here's the deal:

Pacers keep pick if:

A) They end up out of the playoffs (in the lottery) and the fortuitous bounce of the ping pong balls gives them one of the top ten picks (regardless of whether the record is one of the ten worst).

They give up the pick if:

A) They make the playoffs, or

B) They end up in the lottery but fail to get a top ten pick, or

C) They end up with one of the ten worst records, but the bouncing of the ping pong balls shoves them down to the 11th pick or lower.

MJB

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Done and DONE.

Mark, your contribution to this forum is not just appreciated, it is invaluable.

This information alone has cleared quite a bit up.

THANKS!!

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    Buck,

I checked this out today, and assuming my understanding is correct, here's the deal:

Pacers keep pick if:

A) They end up out of the playoffs (in the lottery) and the fortuitous bounce of the ping pong balls gives them one of the top ten picks (regardless of whether the record is one of the ten worst).

They give up the pick if:

A) They make the playoffs, or

B) They end up in the lottery but fail to get a top ten pick, or

C) They end up with one of the ten worst records, but the bouncing of the ping pong balls shoves them down to the 11th pick or lower.

MJB

Thank you.

That was my original understanding of the situation.

Thanks for clearing it up. Now maybe I can change the thread title

Default Re: Our draft pick is top 10 lottery protected. Thanks mboyle1313, update #30

That pretty much clears everything up. Thanks once again.

Default Re: Our draft pick is top 10 lottery protected. Thanks mboyle1313, update #30

Mark Boyle is the man. I think it's time to get him in the Pacers front office!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So our luck goes like this: we end up with the 10th worst record, we go to the lotto, Atlanta gets in the top 3 with one other team with a better record than us, and Larry or Donnie gets to sit in the chair with a sick smile knowing our season went to crap for nothing. I'm not being pessimistic, am I?

I have 2 more questions based on Marks comments on the lottery.
    NUmber one, is Atlanta required to take the pick or can they defer until
    next year. The reason I ask is that if Oden does not come out they may
    decide they want to take the risk of the Pacers being in the lottery next year and have shot at Oden.
    My second question is, how low can the Pacers be pushed by the ping pong
    balls if they have the tenth worst record? Just one position or up to four?
    This would determine what position is safe from the ping pong balls pushing the pick to Atlanta.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I found the answer to my number two question. The Pacers can drop no
    more that 3 spots from their worst record position. So to be completely safe
    from Atlanta getting the pick the Pacers would have to have the 7th or worse
    record.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Based on the stats at the site mentioned above the Pacers chances of
    dropping one spot is 9.4%. The chances of dropping 4 spots is .00002%.
    I think my math is correct. :-)
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Mundane View Post
    Mark Boyle is the man. I think it's time to get him in the Pacers front office!
    No offense to Mark, but I'd rather see Slick get one summer to wield the hammer in the front office.

Keep Mark in broadcasting. In Indiana.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

GM/Broadcaster hehe.

I figured thats how the rights to the pick went as I doubt the Pacers would have agreed to giving up a lottery pick that could possibly be #1 overall, especially in this draft.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller