Thread: BBC Video: The Great Global Warming Swindle

Default BBC Video: The Great Global Warming Swindle

In wake of "Inconvenient Truth," and Academy Awards, I was surprised to see this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...Global+Warming

Default Re: BBC Video: The Great Global Warming Swindle

There is some interesting stuff in there, I dont presume to know the answer to why and how our climate is changing. The hegemony that climate change must be caused by humans isn't a good thing. We definately needed unbiased science and analysis on this topic.

However, there seems to be some issues with that documentary. First of all it wasn't made by the BBC, it was made by Channel 4 in the UK, which although it is publicly funded like the BBC, is an independant entity as far as I can tell.

Reading over the wikipedia entry details some of the criticism of how the doco was made.

Some things that we do surely know about our situation regarding energy. Fossil fuels and nuclear fission technologies are unsustainable. Regardless of how much the waste byproducts of these energy production are damaging the environment, we can only use them for so long until we have used them up. The smog that surrounds the largest of the worlds cities is another undesirable effect. I walk to work and it troubles me to think how much cr@p I am breathing in on a daily basis.

Developing sustainable energy technology should be space race of the decade. The side effect of ensuring our energy independence means we wont have to worry about maintaining an excessive flow of oil from the middle east through the support of friendly dictatorships and attempted nation building. If we had spent all the money that went to the War in Iraq on sustainable energy development we would be in a much better situation.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfire View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some things that we do surely know about our situation regarding energy. Fossil fuels and nuclear fission technologies are unsustainable.
    ???
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    ???
    Agree.

I mean, technically solar power's not sustainable, because in 4 billion years the sun is likely to go supernova, meaning we'll no longer be able to get solar power. But that's not going to keep me up at night.

We're an awful long way from running out of fissionable material.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

???
    I would replace that thought with the idea that higher dependence upon fission will make us reliant upon some nuclear fuel resources that are not totally under the control of the United States, or at least will not be, should demand and rate of consumption of nuclear fuel increase substantially.

We should be using fission a lot more, but as a 20/30-year stopgap to more sustainable technologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Agree.

I mean, technically solar power's not sustainable, because in 4 billion years the sun is likely to go supernova, meaning we'll no longer be able to get solar power.
    And then what are we going to do? I demand government fix this NOW, before it is too late! We cannot let the sun go out. I hate darkness most of the time anyway. What is congress doing about this? How long can they ignore it? When will the media wake up!?

We must lead the charge to get the nations of earth to sign a treaty and begin implementing plans to both reduce our reliance on the sun as well as keep the sun burning. We cannot let it go out and we shouldn't take it for granted any longer!

We can tax and regulate businesses as a way to both control and cap their abilities to darken the sun.

I, for one, shall seek a grant to fund my research into this calamity that we are bringing on ourselves. Then I will make sure Congress hears about this impending doom that we are causing. Their arrogance must not allow the sun to go out! I may be one voice now, but soon I will be part of many.

Save our sun! Keep the fire burning!

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sure we could deplete oil/gas/uranium resources and then worry about replacements, but whether it is our generation, or 10 generations down the line, this stuff is going to run out. I agree with nuclear fission being used as a bridging technology where it is cost effective.

Countless billions of dollars have gone into the development of the combusion engine, which hasn't majorly changed since its inception. The technology is as refined as it is likely to get. Making renewable technologies that will provide our needs for the present and the future is going to cost money in research and development.

You guys can joke about the sun going supernova effecting our energy needs, but were talking billions of years as compared to hundreds of years.

Countless billions of dollars have gone into the development of the combusion engine, which hasn't majorly changed since its inception. The technology is as refined as it is likely to get.
    I completely disagree. IMO the point we need to get to is hydrogen combustion, which results in water dripping out of a tailpipe. That's a relatively simple adaptation of the internal combustion engine and right now offers far and away the best solution.

Today you can purchase cars that run on natural gas. This is a far cleaner, cheaper fuel than petroleum products. Moving from that point to Hydrogen is relatively simple - once we get the H2 refinement process figured out.

I find absolutely no validity in thinking that the internal combustion engine is a dead end.

Changing the fuel input to a combusition engine doesn't majorly change the design of the engine. Natural gas conversions that you mentioned use two fuels on the same engine.

I dont disagree that burning hydrogren would be a great fuel if it could be made safe and abundant. However creating hydrogren that can be burned takes alot of energy at present, so much more work is going to have to be done before that is really a viable option.

Edit: some estimates say a sustainable method for splitting hydrogen from sea water and developing it to the point where it is commercial is 10-15 years away. link

Natural gas conversions that you mentioned use two fuels on the same engine.
    Evidently you don't know what I'm talking about since that is untrue.

I'd suggest reading up on the NG-fueled Honda Civic.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So, the whole point of the global warming scam is to get us focused on other forms of energy production? That is what has happened in this very thread. Interesting that the two have nothing to do with each other, but the Pro-global warming crowd will use one to push the other.

I am in no way stating that those proposing alternate fuel sorces in this thread are in the global warming is man's fault camp, just stating that theose that are will use it to push this agenda which should be more than able to stand on its own.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

There are already Natural Gas stations in California.

Trouble is, you end up buying a car that is only useful locally. (no road trips, etc.)

Forget that! Cars are supposed to equate to freedom of movement.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    There are already Natural Gas stations in California.

Trouble is, you end up buying a car that is only useful locally. (no road trips, etc.)

Forget that! Cars are supposed to equate to freedom of movement.
    Yeah - but when cars first got started there weren't filling stations - you better have a supply at home. Of course that goes back to the dual-fuel vehicles you were talking about.

But the stations won't get built until there's a market - so you have to bite the bullet at some point. Now it's easier for me - I happen to be a 2-car person so if I'm not driving within 200 miles I can take something else. But I haven't driven further than that in a while - I've taken much more to flying as I age.

The kicker is that the jump from NG to H2 isn't a big one (once the production process gets figured out). Should be able to adapt it. The shocker for me is that a NG-powered car isn't much more expensive than gas-powered once you figure in the rebates - and much cheaper to operate. And the idea of fueling at home while I sleep is sweet.

Evidently you don't know what I'm talking about since that is untrue.

I'd suggest reading up on the NG-fueled Honda Civic.
    I was getting confused between NG and LPG, for which conversions take place quite commonly in Australia, allowing you to run two fuels on the one engine.