Thread: [OT] Computer Monitor question

Default Re: [OT] Computer Monitor question

The reason that there is a discrepancy between advertised size and viewable area is that for CRT monitors (the big *** ones you'd be used to taking up all your desk space) is that part of the tube is actually behind the plastic edges of the monitor, so your losing part of your tube, diminishing your viewable area.

That problem doesn't exist for LCD screens, which can have their entire displayable area viewable.

The prices of CRT monitors have come down considerably in the last year or so, a 19" flat screen, high quality monitor would probbly be available for < $200 (flat out guess, since i'm going on australian prices * exchange rate).

Another thing to consider when buying an LCD is that you can get dead pixels in the display. Basically just one dot on the screen which wont update. If these appear in the first couple of months of ownsership take it back. They commonly appear in the later stages of an LCD's life but can occur at the start which means the hardware is defective.

Also, if you're going to buy a CRT monitor (even if it says Flat Screen) as opposed to an LCD panel then look at the dot pitch on it. The specs should give a dot pitch, the lower the better. That's more or less how much space is between the pixels on a CRT in laymans terms. If you shop around then you can find a reasonable monitor which will use higher resolutions that won't burn your eyes out (try to find at most a .24 dot pitch).

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

A pretty good 17-19 inch regular CRT monitor can be bought for <$200 these days. 17-19 inch LCD will cost $400-$600 and up. I have a Dell 18" LCD that I just absolutely love, but if you don't want to pay much you'll have to go for a CRT.

What kerosene said is correct, the lower the .XX dot pitch the better the picture. Even some of the best LCD's usually have a higher dot pitch number (worse picture) than cheaper CRT's. CRT's also have a higher refresh rate and can be better for gamers, but LCD's keep getting better.

I like the fact that my 18" LCD weighs only about 15 lbs and takes up very little space, compared to over 40lbs and a ton of space for most CRT's.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

I think I saw a 17" at Best Buy for $99.99 with a $20 mail in rebate.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

How much money do you have to spend? I'd check www.pricewatch.com for LCDs... prices have come down. Suprisingly, Sam's Club often has good deals as well.

You could also buy a cheap monitor as a temporary solution. Do you live near any used computer stores? Or check the classifieds. Then save money for an LCD.

If you're going to buy a CRT, you can absolutely get a good monitor (small pixel size, 19") for under $200. Again, check pricewatch.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I love my Dell Ultra-Sharp flat screen monitor, even though the one I have is just 15".

Very clear & crisp, and not too pricey, IIRC.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo

Where did you get it?