Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Rick Carlisle is not the Pacers coach next season, who do you want to succeed him?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default If Rick Carlisle is not the Pacers coach next season, who do you want to succeed him?

I want Rick Adelman. I think his coaching style will play greatly to the team we have.

Default Re: If Rick Carlisle is not the Pacers coach next season, who do you want to succeed

SVG if available. I would like to see what he could do with this group.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: If Rick Carlisle is not the Pacers coach next season, who do you want to succeed

Rick Adelman would be a pretty good choice but i dont see any of the guys we have fitting his style of ball.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

The Future Is Bright JB's Breakout Year's Avatar

Larry Brown.

Larry "Makes his team crazy and will burn every bridge before leaving but will teach and challenge his players to their full potential" Brown.

Sports Logo

Mark Jackson (since Byron is not available)

Hubie Brown

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Clavicus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hubie Brown
    I agree......but I think he's getting old. If he was up to the rigors of a few seasons....I think he can truly teach the kids some real fundamentals. Whenever I hear him doing commentary on games.....he sounds like he really knows his basketball.

If there is a defensive minded coach out there that is available.....then I would go for them to...I just have no idea who is defensive minded when it comes to coaching that is available.

But since its unlikely that he will be available......my choices are:

Mark Jackson
    Mario Elie

I know that both have no real NBA coaching experieince....but from what I have heard about what Elie him calling out Baron Davis as a Assistant coach with the Warriors...I was impressed ( he was the only one during the Montgomery tenure to actually step out against BDiddy ). For Mark Jackson, I have no concrete reason.....I would simply go with him since he has ties to the Organization.

But as long as its not a college coach....I'm fine with it.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I'd have to go with Mark Jackson. Adleman is a great coach, but I'm not convinced he can do anything in the playoffs. Elie is also intriging. Stan would not be a bad choice, but isn't he still under gag order of the Heat?

Isiah Thomas...

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Isiah Thomas...
    What are things that would make me put my head through a plate glass window, Alex!!

Michael Cooper with Paul Silas has his 1st assistant.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mark Jackson
    John Calipari
    Stan Van Gundy

With Darrell Armstrong as an assistant to one of those guys.

I've been singing the praises of Marc Ivaroni and will continue to. I would certainly interview him. The interesting thing about him is sure he's been an assistant coach with the Suns for a few years now, but before that he was a longtime assistant for the Heat under Pat Riley. So of course the question is - what style would he play.

I've always been dismissive of Rick Adelman - because as a coach he does not emphasis defense - he never has and never will, so he's crossed off my list.

The problem is the coaching move has to be seen by the fans as a positive, so that rules out a great coach like Mike Fratello (how he got the Grizzlies to win 49 games last season was a miracle) but the public won't accept him. Sad but true

Mark jackson is interesting - I don't know what his coaching philosophy is, he's never coached.

Calipari - no

SVG - maybe he'd be on the list.

I'd also take a hard look at Jim O'Brien - especially if he can get Dick Harter to come with him - but even if he can't, I'd take a long look at him.

Of course if I were in charge I'd only hire a coach who promised to emphasize defense, first, second and third. Otherwise I'd move on down the list.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

noone named Van Gundy or Brown...I'm not sure who would do a better job....Perhaps Mark Jackson? I'm still behind Carlisle

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Won't matter, Rick will be here next year.

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Bob Barker.
    Narf!

Rudy Tamjanovich - champ
    Paul Silas - good players coach
    Mark Jackson with good assistants like Bird had.

Whoever it is, they have to be willing to work with young players. As in, absolutely not Larry Brown or any of those guys who will keep the team's actual talent at the end of the bench.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mark Jackson would be a good PR move plus I think he could do a credible job. He's young enough and recent enough to get the players attention.

SVG is an interesting possibility

But whoever...WE HAVE GOT TO HAVE A BIG MAN COACH IN HERE!!!

Just Say No Del Harris!

But they are right Rick will be back next year.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Reggie.

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zoso71 View Post
    I'd have to go with Mark Jackson. Adleman is a great coach, but I'm not convinced he can do anything in the playoffs. Elie is also intriging. Stan would not be a bad choice, but isn't he still under gag order of the Heat?
    Playoffs!! Playoffs!

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    Mark Jackson
    John Calipari
    Stan Van Gundy

With Darrell Armstrong as an assistant to one of those guys.
    I know from personal experience that John Calipari was a bad NBA coach the first time around, but perhaps he is deserving of a second chance...(plus, he knows Shawne Williams pretty well already)

I just want us to get a coach that's a proven winner on the Pro level. Be it as an assistant [i.e. Ivaroni] or someone that's coached elsewhere an has been a success. I had mentioned Mark Jackson's name earlier in the year, but that's too risky. He hasn't coached on any level as far as I know, and we're not exactly a team that's in any position to be put in the coaching hands of someone that doesn't know what they're doing. If Jackson wants to coach, I think he should pay his dues as an assistant first.

If we can't get someone in here that we seriously feel can turn things around, I'm ok with keeping Carlisle. Reason being, I've become less and less convinced that this teams downfall has much to do with his coaching. But I still think it's best to bring in a fresh face and a new voice to give us a new style and direction.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

John Calipari (Would be good for the young guys, though he showed potential at the Nets)
    Byron Scott (if some how he became available)
    Stan Van Gundy (Can't think of anyone else)

No to Larry Brown (Loved Larry, just think he's done and God forbid if he had any GM powers)
    No to Rick Adleman (I always though his teams under achieved, plus he's had enough chances)
    BIG GIANT NO to Mark Jackson (Can't stand his opinions on the game or him as an announcer, my list my rules )
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    Michael Cooper with Paul Silas has his 1st assistant.

Congratulations, Jose, yours is the first post that didn't make me want to throw up in my mouth (except for the one about Isiah, but since he just signed an extension he's not an option.)