Thread: What will you do if Rick is still the coach.

Sports Logo

Default What will you do if Rick is still the coach.

Since there is a Tinsley thread how about the Pacers biggest problem their coach.

He may be the 2nd biggest problem behind trading good players for slow crappy players but for now we are talking Rick.

Default Re: What will you do if Rick is still the coach.

Since I don't see Carlise as being what is wrong with this team, I wouldn't mind him returning.

Just for sake of discussion - what if Jamaal and JO are both traded - in that case what would be wrong with Rick staying as coach. I might argue that for the fans sake and just to completely change things for the returning players - that Rick should be gone -

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I might argue that for the fans sake and just to completely change things for the returning players - that Rick should be gone -

I kind of agree, and I am a Carlisle backer.

The pop culture definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. I don't think Rick is the problem, but I believe that in the minds of the players and the fans (the two forces of an NBA franchise whose performance is affected by perception), keeping the same coach and expecting to change would be insane.

Like I said, I don't agree. But if the players and fans think Carlisle can't turn this team around, he won't. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'd think if JO and Tins were gone that would change things considerably for the returning players.... so at that point I'd have no problem with Rick staying with a clean slate to build upon. UNLESS TPTB know Rick has burned a bunch of bridges trying to get this dysfunctional mess moving forward.

Tinsley can't stay no matter what. Any repair job begins with his removal from the team. Leaving him on the team has not been fair to Carlisle. And with Rick's extension and new title I can't help but to believe that TPTB have already made the decision that Rick is not the problem.

This team won't be fixed by firing Calisle alone IMHO. I think that should be down the list.

I do agree it could be part of the process of giving this team a new shiny coat of paint and changing some of the perceptions that might weigh the team down. But if Carlisle is the only change, then that same weight will be anchoring down the new coach rather quickly.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Never liked Rick...willing to admit he's a good coach...hate his approach and the overall style he pushes for...

If Rick is back at the helm next year, who will we end up trading? There are far too many complaining former players to assume more won't come out of the woodwork. A new coach might bring life back to Tinsley's career, it would almost certainly make things more interesting for the fans, some of the guys who've suffered thru the Carlisle doghouse may regain some confidence (Tinsley, Harrison, Daniels, Baston, Greene, Marshall) and I would be happy. I'm a little surprised he's still the coach after this recent losing slide. I still put alot of the blame for all the turmoil on Rick's shoulders. The on-court stuff, obviously.

I agree RC is a good coach, but I have never liked is style of coaching. I think getting a new coach would be the right direction to go. If we do trade JO and TINS, I still would want a new coach. RC is a great X's and O's kind of coach, but he doesn't seem to inspire or motivate his teams, especially now.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Rick is back for the 2006-07 season, I'm dropping my tickets.

Oh wait...

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    If Rick is back for the 2006-07 season, I'm dropping my tickets.

Oh wait...

U gotta
    Get’cha, get’cha head in the game.....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Ugh.

You really know how to tie it all together, don't you.

Jay's_Daughter@Sect... uh nevermind... has been trying to teach me that dance. Its not going well.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    Since I don't see Carlise as being what is wrong with this team, I wouldn't mind him returning.
    Same.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Just for sake of discussion - what if Jamaal and JO are both traded - in that case what would be wrong with Rick staying as coach. I might argue that for the fans sake and just to completely change things for the returning players - that Rick should be gone -
    If they trade Jamaal and Jermaine I would hope they would also trade the other three players on the Pacers I like to watch to a new team then they can keep Rick and I wont care because I would be watching what a real coach would do with those players.

I have a feeling ANY other coach in the nba would start their 5 best players rather than just 3 of them and bring the other two off the bench.

Dun and Murph need to be coming off the bench.

I will be disappointed, but not surprised. It should be obvious to everyone by now that the players will not respond to Rick because they hate his coaching style. Rick is a solid coach, but his time here is past.

I still want Tinsley gone too, though. I'm starting to hop aboard the Acie Law bandwagon. If we can somehow get a draft pick to get him (Foster/Tinsley package?), I'm all for it.

Btw, if you guys want to see what this draft is going to provide, I highly suggest catching as much of the NCAA tourney as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    If they trade Jamaal and Jermaine I would hope they would also trade the other three players on the Pacers I like to watch to a new team then they can keep Rick and I wont care because I would be watching what a real coach would do with those players.

I have a feeling ANY other coach in the nba would start their 5 best players rather than just 3 of them and bring the other two off the bench.

Dun and Murph need to be coming off the bench.
    Personally, I think this should be our starting lineup when everyone is healthy:

Ike
    JO
    Granger
    Quis
    Greene??? (I want to say Tinsley, but right now he's being outplayed by pretty much every other PG we have)

These should be our primary backups:

Harrison (or Maceo)
    Murphy (because we're not going to be able to unload him, so we may as well play him)
    Shawne
    Dun (same as Murph)
    Army

I like Foster, but I'm starting to think this will be his last season as a Pacer. We're just too loaded in the frontcourt, and Murphy will take his spot unless someone is willing to take his contract.

Sports Logo

If TPTB decide to stick with Carlisle......then I really hope that they decide to move JONeal+Tinsley....the last remnants of the "Brawl" era ( I know that Foster and Harrison are here...but they don't really complain...so I don't care if they are still here ).

I still like Carlisle as a coach...but think that his playbook has gotten stale to these 2 players...and his reliance on going to JONeal ALL the time...has stagnated the offense. Its not cuz JONeal is a bad player...or that he is sucking it up out there.....I just think that if there must be a major change.....either Carlisle changes ( which he won't as long as he has JONeal )....or we force a change on him by moving JONeal.

So if Carlisle stays....JONeal+Tinsley must go for a very good and new starting Backcourt.

BTW...I think the opposite if Carlisle must go.....just keep JONeal...while trying to move Tinsley ( if at all possible ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Personally, I think this should be our starting lineup when everyone is healthy:

Ike
    JO
    Granger
    Quis
    Greene??? (I want to say Tinsley, but right now he's being outplayed by pretty much every other PG we have)
    These should be our primary backups:

Harrison (or Maceo)
    Murphy (because we're not going to be able to unload him, so we may as well play him)
    Shawne
    Dun (same as Murph)
    Army

I like Foster, but I'm starting to think this will be his last season as a Pacer. We're just too loaded in the frontcourt, and Murphy will take his spot unless someone is willing to take his contract.
    He wouldn't bench Tinsley in favor of Greene or McLeod. Don't get me wrong.....I agree with what you're saying.....despite losing to the Sixers......the way the team was run with someone else other then Tinsley running the show was refreshing...if not better.

I think that...for better or worse...much like AJ was for Carlisle last season......Tinsley has become Carlisle's security blanket. Tinsley will always be the default answer to every concern that we can bring up about our backcourt.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Looking at our coaches could someone tell me what exactly is their expertize?

Rick Carlisle (College - Virginia)
    ASSISTANT COACHES Johnny Davis (College - Dayton)
    Dan Burke (College - Portland State)
    Chad Forcier (College - Seattle Pacific)
    Leonard Perry (College - Idaho)
    Chuck Person (College - Auburn)
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

We Need an Avery Johnson type coach, Rick is too soft and he don't play anyone if they don't know his whole play book. If we had a player like D-wade on our team they probably wouldn't be as good. . .I think If Carlisle leaves Jermaine will consider staying, It really would suck to see him go

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Oneal07 View Post
    We Need an Avery Johnson type coach, Rick is too soft and he don't play anyone if they don't know his whole play book. If we had a player like D-wade on our team they probably wouldn't be as good. . .I think If Carlisle leaves Jermaine will consider staying, It really would suck to see him go
    I'm beginning to think that the major change that we will see this offseason is going to be the departure of JONeal or Carlisle....but not both.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Well since TPTB just extended Carlise's contract & added a fancy new title, where does that leave us?

Plus O'Neal has mentioned more than once that if this team can't get it done this season that maybe he should move on.

Opting out of that contract is not going to happen. Nobody is going to walk away from 19M a year. His only option is to ask to be traded.

A draft day deal should be easy enough since TPTB want back into the draft.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I can see Rick lead a team of veterans to a championship.

But I don't see him leading the Pacers to a championship.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

If Rick is still the coach, I'll be ready for another extremely boring and disappointing season of basketball. He may be a good coach, but he either needs to win, or we need to tank and get some young talent. Simple as that. Mediocrity is unacceptable.

I would be happy. I would hope he receives a slightly different roster to begin the season.

Mood

I'll continue to back Rick...